test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

LoR Anniversary: Can I dismiss Tovan now?

2»

Comments

• Options
    captainmal3captainmal3 Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Every few weeks, while I'm flying around on my fed characters, I see someone flying their scimitar and think 'I want one'. So I create a romulan, get to levelling, and then I delete it. Because of Tovan. I DO NOT want him on my ship, and because I can't get rid of him I just can not enjoy playing as a romulan. You can tell me to ignore him all you want, but I just can't, he's there and I can't just pretend he isn't.

As soon as he is made dismissable, I and more than a few others will immediately start playing romulan characters more, and I at least will pretty much instantly buy the scimitar bundle. That's money cryptic, since that seems to be the only thing that'll catch your attention.
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I WANT THIS PoS OFF MY BRIDGE NOW. HE IS FORCED ONTO MY CREW AGAINST MY CHARACTER'S WILL, AND I AM FORCED TO TREAT HIM AS SOME 'FRIEND' I'VE KNOWN FOREVER. WELL I HAVEN'T, AND HE WAS NEVER A FRIEND, AN ALLY, OR ANYTHING TO ME BUT SCUM. I UTTERLY DESPISE HIM.
  • Options
    revandarklighterrevandarklighter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Next LOR anniversary Thovan Khev dismisses you^^
  • Options
    astro2244astro2244 Member Posts: 623 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Next LOR anniversary Thovan Khev dismisses you^^

Next anniversary...?:D

He dismisses you from the start. He's pretty much defacto leader of your ship from the get go.
    [SIGPIC]583px-Romulan_Star_Empire_logo%2C_2379.svg.png
    [/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mosquito214mosquito214 Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    On the other end of the spectrum, I really want the other storyline BOffs to be reclaimable. For all factions. I know it's stupid, but I don't have the heart to dismiss any of them, despite how terrible they are. They actually have backstories, minor as they are, and that speaks to me. However, I'd dismiss them in a second if I could get them back anytime. I wouldn't even ever reclaim them, but just knowing the option is there would help.

Heck, a dev once responded favorably to the idea of being able to do something (replay their introductory mission?) to upgrade them to purple-quality BOffs.

But yeah, here's to Satra, Veril, Hiven, D'Vex, Elisa, Zarva, T'Vrell, Kolez, Ch'gren, Thraak, and B'Ellera.
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I'm willing to support reclaimable story BOFFs as long as none of them are mandatory.
  • Options
    stofskstofsk Member Posts: 1,744 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Put me down for 'mang Tovan stfu nobody likes you'

It's funny how the first time I played LoR with my first Fed-Rom character, I didn't mind him. Second time I realised how annoying he was. Third time I get aggravated whenever he pipes up with his stupid face making his stupid recommendations.

It wouldn't be an issue if you could dismiss him at the end of the storyline. But maybe that's just not possible. I think Cryptic didn't realise that while LoR was a great leap forward for the game's narrative tech and production values, it was also misstep when it came to sacrificing player agency by forcing a boff on us whom we weren't guaranteed to like. At the very least I hope they've learned their lesson for expa2.
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Tovan hasn't started to annoy me yet.

That probably because I spend time doing other things besides the main story missions. I think the last story mission I did was just before the Risian Event. I will probably go back to doing story missions at the end of the month.
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    You guys are going about this all wrong.

Tovan Khev is an asset.

What better BOFF to have "Draw Fire" on as your away team's Decoy Boy.

"Tovan, run to the right, yell a lot, and wave your arms around. Don't stop until the shooting stops."
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    captainmal3captainmal3 Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    If I could order my other BOFFs not to revive him and then leave his mangled body on the planet as I fly away, that'd be fine. Alas, I cannot.
  • Options
    cbrjwrrcbrjwrr Member Posts: 2,782 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    On the other end of the spectrum, I really want the other storyline BOffs to be reclaimable. For all factions. I know it's stupid, but I don't have the heart to dismiss any of them, despite how terrible they are. They actually have backstories, minor as they are, and that speaks to me. However, I'd dismiss them in a second if I could get them back anytime. I wouldn't even ever reclaim them, but just knowing the option is there would help.

Heck, a dev once responded favorably to the idea of being able to do something (replay their introductory mission?) to upgrade them to purple-quality BOffs.

But yeah, here's to Satra, Veril, Hiven, D'Vex, Elisa, Zarva, T'Vrell, Kolez, Ch'gren, Thraak, and B'Ellera.

Very off topic, but they are reclaimable as VR for Fed and KDF - Rom side there isn't a way to do it if you want their unique costume parts unfortunately - if you don't mind losing their unique looks, then its a simple process of:

1. Save your Boff/Boffs as an outfit in the tailor, and copy their Bio/Bios if you wrote them, a plain notepad file would be just fine. Rom side Boffs you need to note head and body slider positions and customisation options.

2. Take all the equipment off them you want to keep.

3. Delete those Boffs.

4. Buy VR replacements with desired traits and skills from the exchange. Cost me 2 million to do for my Fed side main, of which T'vrell was the most expensive at 1.3 million EC. I cant say about prices for KDF or ROM as I haven't done them yet.

5. Comission your new VR Boffs - rename them as the old Boffs, and then load the old Boff's outfit. If you wrote Bios, copy and paste from where you backed them up.

6. Bask in the glory of your 4 tutorial Boffs in their new VR goodness.

7. Spend EC putting their skills right - you may need to buy more Boffs from the exchange to train some/most Lt Cm and Cm skills.

8. Once skills are correct again, don't forget to put skill points into your new Boffs - all skill points spent on your old Boffs are completely gone, but it shouldn't be an issue at Lvl 50 as all your skill points go into your officers skill point pool.

As said, this doesn't work quite as easily for Satra, Hiven, Veril or D'Vex as they have unique costume parts, but if you don't mind losing those then you have to note all their head and body options and slider positions at stage 1.

It is also worth noting Elisa is A) already VR, so unless you don't like her traits you don't need to do anything to her, and B) already reclaimable from Starfleet Academy. Think K'gan (spelling?) on KDF side is the same.

If you aren't relatively EC rich, then you can try to get the Doff missions to recruit new Boffs - Critical Success them, and you get a VR Boff. Very unreliable though.

This isn't as easy as just having them reclaimable, but it is the next best thing.

ETA - It is also worth noting I personally haven't noticed any significant difference in performance between the original Boff and their VR replacement. Probably just me though.
  • Options
    pweistheworstpweistheworst Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    edited June 2014

Tovan Khev is an asset.

"Tovan, run to the right, yell a lot, and wave your arms around. Don't stop until the shooting stops."

I just had a wonderful mental image of Tovan running around a battlefield screaming like that idiot Ferengi in the early Klingon mission ... and then getting shot by people on both sides of the battlefield.
    In the immortal words of Captain Sisko: "It may not be what you believe, but that doesn't make it wrong."

Don't believe the lies in this forum. I am NOT an ARC user. I play STO on Steam or not at all.
  • Options
    bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,781 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I just had a wonderful mental image of Tovan running around a battlefield screaming like that idiot Ferengi in the early Klingon mission ... and then getting shot by people on both sides of the battlefield.

Lol ... Yeah, it'd be kinda like ...

You frown at the screaming Tovan ...
    You look over at the enemy you were just shooting, who is now frowning at you ...
    You both look again at the screaming Tovan ...
    Then you look back at each other, shrug, give a little evil smile and a wink ...
    Then you both start shooting Tovan!!! ...
    When he's dead, you just salute each other and leave the battlefield ...

Ahh, warms the heart just thinkin' about it ...
    Oh, hoho hohhhhh, Oh,, hoho, hohhhhh
    My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zps5etu86s1.png
  • Options
    thegalaxy31thegalaxy31 Member Posts: 1,211 Arc User
    edited June 2014

Tovan Khev is an asset.

True, true! Too bad Tovan isn't a mugato, he acts like one and if he was a mugato, he would gain more THREAT CONTROL. I think he thinks that means controlling the threat's body.
    I would love to visit this star in-game...or maybe this one!
    Won't SOMEONE please think of the CHILDREN?!
  • Options
    nickcastletonnickcastleton Member Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    cbrjwrr wrote: »
    Very off topic, but they are reclaimable as VR for Fed and KDF - Rom side there isn't a way to do it if you want their unique costume parts unfortunately - if you don't mind losing their unique looks, then its a simple process of:

1. Save your Boff/Boffs as an outfit in the tailor, and copy their Bio/Bios if you wrote them, a plain notepad file would be just fine. Rom side Boffs you need to note head and body slider positions and customisation options.

2. Take all the equipment off them you want to keep.

3. Delete those Boffs.

4. Buy VR replacements with desired traits and skills from the exchange. Cost me 2 million to do for my Fed side main, of which T'vrell was the most expensive at 1.3 million EC. I cant say about prices for KDF or ROM as I haven't done them yet.

5. Comission your new VR Boffs - rename them as the old Boffs, and then load the old Boff's outfit. If you wrote Bios, copy and paste from where you backed them up.

6. Bask in the glory of your 4 tutorial Boffs in their new VR goodness.

7. Spend EC putting their skills right - you may need to buy more Boffs from the exchange to train some/most Lt Cm and Cm skills.

8. Once skills are correct again, don't forget to put skill points into your new Boffs - all skill points spent on your old Boffs are completely gone, but it shouldn't be an issue at Lvl 50 as all your skill points go into your officers skill point pool.

As said, this doesn't work quite as easily for Satra, Hiven, Veril or D'Vex as they have unique costume parts, but if you don't mind losing those then you have to note all their head and body options and slider positions at stage 1.

It is also worth noting Elisa is A) already VR, so unless you don't like her traits you don't need to do anything to her, and B) already reclaimable from Starfleet Academy. Think K'gan (spelling?) on KDF side is the same.

If you aren't relatively EC rich, then you can try to get the Doff missions to recruit new Boffs - Critical Success them, and you get a VR Boff. Very unreliable though.

This isn't as easy as just having them reclaimable, but it is the next best thing.

ETA - It is also worth noting I personally haven't noticed any significant difference in performance between the original Boff and their VR replacement. Probably just me though.
    i did the same thin to with T'vrell and the other BO i got when i tried the new fed tutorial with a new char, it was well worth it as i actually feel a bond with these officers we have been through so much.

As for Tovan i do like him on my Feds but when i made a reman KDF i realized the hate, he is really the wrong type of guy for my crew hes to nice and a Reman or a darker more gritty tovan would have been better for a kdf.
    0bzJyzP.gif

"It appears we have lost our sex appeal, captain."- Tuvok
  • Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    has my vote sorry its late but cant have too many Tovan must die votes can ya? :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    thegalaxy31thegalaxy31 Member Posts: 1,211 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I agree - I want that option.

But... new players might get too immersed and lost in all the combat and forget that STO has story.
    I would love to visit this star in-game...or maybe this one!
    Won't SOMEONE please think of the CHILDREN?!