test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Where are the Devs?

Comments

• askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    druhin wrote: »
    If you could pass this on to the powers that be; Have one of them (preferrably our fearless leader, Mr D'Angelo) pop in, and give SOME kind of estimate or information on what might be in said expansion.

Or are we supposed to go the entire summer with ZERO information from the devs?

Like others have said, it's too early to get much information but little tidbit and hints. I can ask for sure if I can do a Q&A with a dev or d'angelo if you want but since I'm no longer apart of any media outlet I cannot promise anything.

That's the best I can do :)
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    They're working on the Zentraedi ships for Expansion 2!

Only if I get to fly an SDF-1 Retrofit with Veritech Hangar Pets.
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • kagasenseikagasensei Member Posts: 526 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Where did those pesky devs go off too?

One thing's easily observable: Since Smirk replaced Branflakes, we've barely seen any Dev interviews in any podcasts. Might by a coincidence, not accusing anyone of anything, however it's a clearly visible development.
  • flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    If you could pass this on to the powers that be; Have one of them (preferrably our fearless leader, Mr D'Angelo) pop in, and give SOME kind of estimate or information on what might be in said expansion.

Or are we supposed to go the entire summer with ZERO information from the devs?
    I know what it wont be ~ Cardassians or Dominion. :P

Nor will we see the Republic touched.

I do see (or predict) another aimless grind though, and another Fleet Project.

Communication lacks as of late, think about the buildup to LoR, then compare it to Season 9. I think you have you answer.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited June 2014

Ever flown a Hegh'ta and thought...you know...this should be able to go walker and battloid?
  • tenkaritenkari Member Posts: 2,906 Arc User
    edited June 2014

but which Veritech? The VF-1 Valkyrie (which also had like 4-5 versions) fromRobotech? the Some of the newer from the japanese only shows? or better yet, how about the Veritech Hovertank from Southern Cross as a ground Vehicle.
    Ever flown a Hegh'ta and thought...you know...this should be able to go walker and battloid?

Technically its Gerwalk mode (hence the G on the lever).... or Guardian in the english version.
    edited June 2014
    tenkari wrote: »
    Technically its Gerwalk mode (hence the G on the lever).... or Guardian in the english version.

Yep, wasn't being technical...just casual.
    edited June 2014
    How much of a cow do you guys think folks would have if the Dyson group were to develop Voth-inspired powersuits? I mean, they did the Dyson Science Destroyers...why not some Ground-love as well - above and beyond the Solanae EV suits, eh? Heading off into X2 and exploring hostile worlds...our wee EV suits might not be up to snuff...
  • tenkaritenkari Member Posts: 2,906 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    If one wants to be technical, it's GERWALK...it's an acronym. Also curious why you felt the need to say that without also including the technical clarification of battloid vs. battroid...if one wants to be technical about things.

And it's not just going to be about the Japanese or English versions. There's also going to be the Robotech RPG from Palladium Books as well as the Del Rey novelization. Lol, course that's going to open up all sorts of Macross/Robotech canon arguments, eh?

But hey, you broke out the "technically"...

i mainly left out battloid/battroid because its more of a pronunciation thing, they obviously went with what sounded better to those native english speakers, instead of going after the "engrish" route.

and as for the Del Ray books, they are the ones who basically Called them Veritech's, right? other series just called them "Variable fighters"heck, Veritech itself, is also an acronym, but unlike GERWALK, it was never created in full caps...
  • aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Throw in all the other bits, Summer/Winter Events, FE Reruns, Anniversary, things like Hearts, various other limited events...it's pretty interesting.
    (snip)
    but it's definitely pretty interesting how they're trying to give more folks to do

What you see as "giving more folks to do" , I see as "creating a library of missions that they can pull out and slap the term "event" on it and call it a day" .

In other words , it's content that was pulled from the game to make it seem special .
    The same with bonus Fleet Marks and Bonus Dilithium . Existing (very beneficial) content that was pulled "repackaged" and presented once every 4 months .
    Gecko pondered out loud @ P1 that he'd like to take CE out and make it an "event" .

But the basic function of it is to keep you busy .
    In that , it shares the function of the Reputation System .

And correct me if I'm wrong , but with actual content creation getting pushed back (like the next expansion is) -- and pushing new content back when their schedule is already a mindblowingly slow one (new content 2 times a year instead of every month or two) -- all this smells to me more like a slow slide towards Maintenance Mode , rather then the "we have more ppl , now you'll see awesome stuff" that we've heard before .
    edited June 2014
    aelfwin1 wrote: »
    And correct me if I'm wrong , but with actual content creation getting pushed back (like the next expansion is) -- and pushing new content back when their schedule is already a mindblowingly slow one (new content 2 times a year instead of every month or two) -- all this smells to me more like a slow slide towards Maintenance Mode , rather then the "we have more ppl , now you'll see awesome stuff" that we've heard before .

With the rate of content creation having increased, how are you seeing it as having decreased?

With the F2P conversion and S6/S7 - it felt like it was slipping into maintenance mode. Since LoR though?
  • druhindruhin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    With the rate of content creation having increased, how are you seeing it as having decreased?

With the F2P conversion and S6/S7 - it felt like it was slipping into maintenance mode. Since LoR though?

Season 6: July 12th, 2012
    Season 7: November 13th, 2012

Legacy of Romulus: May 21st, 2013

Season 8: November 12th, 2013
    Season 8.5: January 30th, 2014
    Season 9: April 22nd, 2014

Expansion 2: October/November 2014

How do you figure content creation rate has INCREASED? Between Season 8 and 8.5 (which was a mini-season release), was 2.5 months. Between Season 8.5 and 9 it was closer to 3 months. Now we're told that there isn't a "Season 10" planned before the next expansion, making the time between Season 9 and Expansion 2 atleast 6-7 months. I'm no math genuis, but going from 2.5 months, to 3 months, to 6-7 months, sounds like an increased lapse of time between new content. And as you can see in the above list, even before Legacy of Romulus, they tended towards releases every 6 months.

When more and more F2P MMOs are pushing out (meaningful) content updates every few weeks (some as low as 4 weeks interval), and Cryptic still has their content on a rotation of every 6 months or so, you could understand how some people might be upset about not having anything "new to do".
  • stf65stf65 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Season 6: July 12th, 2012
    Season 7: November 13th, 2012

Legacy of Romulus: May 21st, 2013

Season 8: November 12th, 2013
    Season 8.5: January 30th, 2014
    Season 9: April 22nd, 2014

Expansion 2: October/November 2014

How do you figure content creation rate has INCREASED?
    2012: season 6 and season 7.
    2013. lor and season 8.
    2014: season 8.5, season 9, and expansion pack 2.

When you take into account the amount of content in lor and in the upcoming upcoming expansion compared to what was in season 1-5 they're clearly putting out more playing content now then they did the first 2 years of the game.

As for earlier seasons in 2011, 4 was shooter mode and 5 was the ftp conversion. Not exactly huge playable content seasons.
  • druhindruhin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    stf65 wrote: »
    2012: season 6 and season 7.
    2013. lor and season 8.
    2014: season 8.5, season 9, and expansion pack 2.

When you take into account the amount of content in lor and in the upcoming upcoming expansion compared to what was in season 1-5 they're clearly putting out more playing content now then they did the first 2 years of the game.

As for earlier seasons in 2011, 4 was shooter mode and 5 was the ftp conversion. Not exactly huge playable content seasons.

As I said, 8.5 was a "mini-season", and if you skip past that one, it's STILL roughly 6 months between Seasons 8 and 9. And no, 8.5 did not have enough new content, to justify saying that "3 season updates has more content than the previous 2 seasons". If you combine 8.5 and 9, you'd have roughly the same amount as what would be in Season 8.
    edited June 2014
    And no, 8.5 did not have enough new content, to justify saying that "3 season updates has more content than the previous 2 seasons". If you combine 8.5 and 9, you'd have roughly the same amount as what would be in Season 8.
    Lor, alone, had more playable content then seasons 1-5 combined. When you add 8, 8.5, 9, and the upcoming expansion pack the last 2 years have blown away the first 2 as far as playable content; and they're still averaging the equivalent to 2 seasons per year, but with more playable things to do.

When I started playing sto at launch you needed to do every mission, every patrol, and grind several space encounters and exploration missions to advance to meet the next mission's minimum level requirements.

Today I can level to 50 only doing missions, or level to 50 only doing patrols and space encounters, or level to 50 only doing foundry, or level to 50 only doing doff missions. While I don't pvp I can probably level someone to 50 just doing that too.

That's progress, whether you want to admit it or not.
  • jim625jim625 Member Posts: 907 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    maybe the iconians have kidnapped them and starfleet is sending us on a rescue mission :D
  • admiraldeathladmiraldeathl Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I think the better question to ask is... Where is Q? Not where are the Dev's :P
  • askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I think the better question to ask is... Where is Q? Not where are the Dev's :P

Q has been around, why he was busy being sneaky on the forums last week :P
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

edited June 2014
    Lor, alone, had more playable content then seasons 1-5 combined.

Whether that is true or not requires a study .
    My instinct tells me that it's not true ... , considering the 15 FE's that they released , 3 Looong STF's , sporadic missions for the KDF and the Feds + building the Foundry itself , and revamping Qo'nos from scratch .

Unfortunately I'm done with LoR for a while now , while I'm still stuck playing Seasons 1-3 content (STF's & PVP) even today .

So maybe it's not about quantity and VO and snazzy graphics and "new standards" , but about content that you want to repeat even after you don't have to repeat it anymore (like most of the Reputation missions that you don't want to touch with a stick after the grind).
    Maybe it's about a quality of repeatable content that you can convince someone to hop online and play with you once again .

I'm thinking that it's about Gozer ... who may not have been perfect at programming , but seemed to have a greater grasp of what team play meant than the combined Dev team today .
    edited June 2014
    Whether that is true or not requires a study .
    My instinct tells me that it's not true ... , considering the 15 FE's that they released , 3 Looong STF's , sporadic missions for the KDF and the Feds + building the Foundry itself , and revamping Qo'nos from scratch .
    The kdf content in lor, by itself, is equivalent to those 15 fe missions. Some of those fes were incredibly short: heal some people and talk to a captive, or solve a riddle and play some dabo, or beam into a satellite and sove a riddle are 3 examples of how short and simplistic they were.
    I'm thinking that it's about Gozer ... who may not have been perfect at programming , but seemed to have a greater grasp of what team play meant than the combined Dev team today .
    Your Gozer comment is rosed colored glasses at work. His grindfest stfs were hated and were considered too long and nothing but endless shoot offs against hitpoint monsters. There's a reason why they were changed. People complained about them all the time; about how it was too hard to find people to spend all the hours to get through one.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    The kdf content in lor, by itself, is equivalent to those 15 fe missions. Some of those fes were incredibly short: heal some people and talk to a captive, or solve a riddle and play some dabo, or beam into a satellite and sove a riddle are 3 examples of how short and simplistic they were.

Your Gozer comment is rosed colored glasses at work. His grindfest stfs were hated and were considered too long and nothing but endless shoot offs against hitpoint monsters. There's a reason why they were changed. People complained about them all the time; about how it was too hard to find people to spend all the hours to get through one.
    Also... wasn't it Gozer's idea to give the STF bosses AoE abilities that can KO multiple players at once?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Where did those pesky devs go off too?

As secretive as expansion 2 seems to be it better be something to say wow look at that. Beyond that though I hope they have you secretly working on a bunch of KDF ships lol :D
  • phoeniciusphoenicius Member Posts: 762 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Also... wasn't it Gozer's idea to give the STF bosses AoE abilities that can KO multiple players at once?

don't forget the gozertorp(the one hit K.O torp), which thankfully isn't one hit K.O anymore with proper gear, but its still there.
  • bunansabunansa Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Does the expansion include-

the elusive secondary deflector dish?
    the fix to power tray resets?
    an actual tab for kits in the exchange?

or just more glowing keyboards?

granted im expecting huge floggings for my simple but obviously taxing requests

for those that think we've had more to do now than the previous years....the new system must be working, I prefer the 5 FE arcs that spanned a month plus that maybe only took 5 minutes in some cases to complete than the 1 FE arc that spans months before the next one that takes maybe 7 minutes to complete
    granted I do enjoy my Dino Theme Park though, would be better with a Dr Grant Costume unlock :D
    tumblr_ndmkqm59J31r5ynioo2_r2_500.gif

• iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    phoenicius wrote: »
    don't forget the gozertorp(the one hit K.O torp), which thankfully isn't one hit K.O anymore with proper gear, but its still there.

That wasn't a problem with Gozer so much as his dumb respawn timer idea that he got from playing TOR (he said as much himself).

You're on elite mode, you die, you get a respawn timer to learn you not to die.

If you die, your team can resurrect you -- no timer, encourages the team to actively rez their own people on elite mode.

Sounds good on paper, yes yes?

Except Gozer put in that respawn timer despite knowing your team can't rez your blown-up ship in a space STF -- and that the one-hit torps were an issue, but that he was having the systems guys look into it.

He put in the respawn timer despite knowing well beforehand that invisible one-shotting torps were in the Elite STFs and could cause failures (and ship injuries) through no fault (or skill) of the players themselves.

It was hubris, arrogance, and ego. Textbook Gozer.

I don't get why people try to rehabilitate this guy. It's like they have selective amnesia over the TRIBBLE he pulled.

Still waiting to see those PvP changes he was working on after the Elite STFs. What did he actually get paid to do before he quit? Because I've yet to see any results of that work in the game's PvP area.

Is his job position open at Cryptic? I wouldn't mind collecting a paycheck for running my mouth on the forums, and talking down to players I see as inferior to me. I bet I could do it better than Gozer, too.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • shandypandyshandypandy Member Posts: 632 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    erei1 wrote: »
    I saw Taco earlier on Risa, he said he was going to a meeting. I strongly suspect other devs went to this meeting, but I'm not 100% sure.
    I suppose that's not the answer you hoped, but it's the answer you asked for :)

Did he have a Tribble about his person, and was this meeting in some caves?
    giphy.gif
  • bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,781 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Well, that does it ... Half-Life 3 Confirmed!

Now we can all sleep at night ... Oh wait :o
    Oh, hoho hohhhhh, Oh,, hoho, hohhhhh
    My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zps5etu86s1.png
    edited June 2014
    iconians wrote: »
    It was hubris, arrogance, and ego. Textbook Gozer.

I don't get why people try to rehabilitate this guy. It's like they have selective amnesia over the TRIBBLE he pulled.

It's not rehabilitation .
    It's respect .

The Borg STF's are his babies . And they ARE the most played PVE content in game ... 4 years after they have been deployed in the game .
    Like it or not , that says something .
    Ppl tended to dismiss this with "well it's the best way to get Dill" .
    Well guess what , since the Dino Theme Park , that is no longer the case and ppl still play them the most . The numbers on the public queue board do not lie (and I myself play them a lot on private queues) .

The Borg STF's are also at times requested by different players to have either an "Ultra Elite" mode or the re-adding of the original versions of them into the game .
    It's a content that has a following .
    Same as PVP or the Foundry .

It's not like Cryptic is incapable to create quality content without Gozer .
    I enjoy the CE (especially the "event" version of it) as well as the new Undine ground mission and the latest FE .

But for every time Cryptic gets something right , there are a ton of dead queue missions that tell the tale of where they got it wrong .

You say that as if it were a bad thing . ;)

Ppl complained because :
    a) it's what we do .
    b) back then there was nothing else to do .
    c) some ppl were not good enough to do them (and I don't meant that as a criticism , I suck at some things too)

Nowadays that is not the case .
    But what we have nowadays is ONLY 5-15 minute "mini-raids" .
    And I'm sorry , but that is not content that you meet new friends in and get to communicate .
    That is just grind .
    The original STF's were an adventure , sometimes even a social adventure and I loved them for it . They were about supporting the weakest part of your team instead of DPS Kirk-ing it in a Scimi .
    edited June 2014
    It's not rehabilitation .
    It's respect .
    If you think it's respect then you must be Gozer posting under his personal account.
    Ppl complained because :
    a) it's what we do .
    b) back then there was nothing else to do .
    c) some ppl were not good enough to do them (and I don't meant that as a criticism , I suck at some things too)

Nowadays that is not the case .
    But what we have nowadays is ONLY 5-15 minute "mini-raids" .
    And I'm sorry , but that is not content that you meet new friends in and get to communicate .
    That is just grind .
    The original STF's were an adventure , sometimes even a social adventure and I loved them for it . They were about supporting the weakest part of your team instead of DPS Kirk-ing it in a Scimi .
    Here's a better idea. Intead of bringing back something that was hated by the majority of players in the game, and made by the biggest grind-munchking Cryptic ever hired, how about Cryptic creates something new? Oh, wait! They're doing that with a new endgame expansion pack.

You want an adventure go play foundry missions with teammates. Those old stfs sucked. They were too long, too grindy, and it was too hard to find people who weren't power-gamers who did nothing but them 10 hours a day to do them with.
  • aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    And they ARE the most played PVE content in game ... 4 years after they have been deployed in the game .

Source for this alleged "fact?"