Comments

• rickeyredshirtrickeyredshirt Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Source for this alleged "fact?"

You don't log in and play much eh?
  • aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    stf65 wrote: »
    If you think it's respect then you must be Gozer posting under his personal account.

You're right ... , you've caught me ... . :rolleyes:
    Because I clearly would talk about myself like this :
    aelfwin1 wrote: »
    I'm thinking that it's about Gozer ... who may not have been perfect at programming , but seemed to have a greater grasp of what team play meant than the combined Dev team today .

Now , let's see what else you had to say :
    how about Cryptic creates something new? Oh, wait! They're doing that with a new endgame expansion pack.

You clearly do not value your own time , since that expansion is coming in another 6 months at best (unforeseen delays not counting) .
    Those old stfs sucked. They were too long, too grindy, and it was too hard to find people who weren't power-gamers who did nothing but them 10 hours a day to do them with.

I'll take pleasure in the subtle irony that that bile comes from a player calling himself "stf65" .
    Oh , and I'm not a "power gamer" -- STO is pretty much my only game .
    And the original STF's were an hour and change each .
    Those who talk about 2-10 hours did it wrong .

Sounds like it . :)
  • aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited June 2014

So "rectal extraction" is the answer to my query regarding the claim's source. Got it.
  • redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    The Borg STF's are his babies . And they ARE the most played PVE content in game ... 4 years after they have been deployed in the game .
    Like it or not , that says something .
    Hmm... well... no one is queing for Cure Ground or Infected Ground... Some people are queing for Khitomer Accord Ground, but it takes around 5 min to get enough to play it.

Infected Space and Khitomer Accord Space have a reasonably quick que time. Cure Space runs around 5 min.

It seems only the Space STFs are really "jumping" (and only 2 of them at that). I would guess that these are busy not because they are "well designed" but because of power creep, one can just DPS thier way through them with little thought.
    Ppl tended to dismiss this with "well it's the best way to get Dill" .
    Well guess what , since the Dino Theme Park , that is no longer the case and ppl still play them the most . The numbers on the public queue board do not lie (and I myself play them a lot on private queues) .
    Indeed. I believe the numbers on the public que support the idea that people who dislike ground combat grind Infected Space and Khitomer Accord Space for dilithium since these two STFs are the easiest to just DPS through.
    But what we have nowadays is ONLY 5-15 minute "mini-raids" .
    And I'm sorry , but that is not content that you meet new friends in and get to communicate .
    That is just grind .
    The original STF's were an adventure , sometimes even a social adventure and I loved them for it . They were about supporting the weakest part of your team instead of DPS Kirk-ing it in a Scimi .
    What? What are you talking about?

There are far, far, more complaints about the people in PUGs then there are "hey, I met some cool new peeps in a PUG" thread. The trend is for players to go private, not public. I believe the ques you use as "evidence" of your position reinforce this. Ques for Ground and Space STFs that need some level of teamwork are empty (or much slower). When was the last time you saw a thread endorsing the public ques?

As for personal experience, I have met and socialized with more people in the Defera Invasion Zone or the Dyson Sphere Ground Battlezone then I have in any STF. I find the battlezones are better paced for typing than an STF. STFs are either total silence or someone commenting when the optional is blown. And the obligatory "GG" when we finish.
  • rickeyredshirtrickeyredshirt Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    redvenge wrote: »
    Hmm... well... no one is queing for Cure Ground or Infected Ground... Some people are queing for Khitomer Accord Ground, but it takes around 5 min to get enough to play it.

Infected Space and Khitomer Accord Space have a reasonably quick que time. Cure Space runs around 5 min.

It seems only the Space STFs are really "jumping" (and only 2 of them at that). I would guess that these are busy not because they are "well designed" but because of power creep, one can just DPS thier way through them with little thought.

Indeed. I believe the numbers on the public que support the idea that people who dislike ground combat grind Infected Space and Khitomer Accord Space for dilithium since these two STFs are the easiest to just DPS through.

What? What are you talking about?

There are far, far, more complaints about the people in PUGs then there are "hey, I met some cool new peeps in a PUG" thread. The trend is for players to go private, not public. I believe the ques you use as "evidence" of your position reinforce this. Ques for Ground and Space STFs that need some level of teamwork are empty (or much slower). When was the last time you saw a thread endorsing the public ques?

As for personal experience, I have met and socialized with more people in the Defera Invasion Zone or the Dyson Sphere Ground Battlezone then I have in any STF. I find the battlezones are better paced for typing than an STF. STFs are either total silence or someone commenting when the optional is blown. And the obligatory "GG" when we finish.

In addition to public queues, you are aware there are multiple public channels dedicated to STF team finding, right? Gotta count them too.
  • redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    In addition to public queues, you are aware there are multiple public channels dedicated to STF team finding, right? Gotta count them too.
    Why? There is no way to for us to know if the number of private channel users is close to the same amount of people using public queues. Number of channels means nothing if we have no data on how many people use them.

I think there are more people using the public queues because it is easier to just join an Infected Space Elite than to hunt for a group in a private channel. Path of least resistance/fewer keystrokes and all that. But I have no proof. Just guessing based on what I have seen in game and read on the forums.

I know that people tend to go looking for the Elite Ground STF channels when they want an accolade, but otherwise its mostly the same people running the ground STF missions over and over again. I also think those players are a minority (judging by how many players dislike anything to do with ground combat).
  • jarodroto123jarodroto123 Member Posts: 1,337 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    druhin wrote: »
    Season 6: July 12th, 2012
    Season 7: November 13th, 2012

Legacy of Romulus: May 21st, 2013

Season 8: November 12th, 2013
    Season 8.5: January 30th, 2014
    Season 9: April 22nd, 2014

Expansion 2: October/November 2014

How do you figure content creation rate has INCREASED? Between Season 8 and 8.5 (which was a mini-season release), was 2.5 months. Between Season 8.5 and 9 it was closer to 3 months. Now we're told that there isn't a "Season 10" planned before the next expansion, making the time between Season 9 and Expansion 2 atleast 6-7 months. I'm no math genuis, but going from 2.5 months, to 3 months, to 6-7 months, sounds like an increased lapse of time between new content. And as you can see in the above list, even before Legacy of Romulus, they tended towards releases every 6 months.

When more and more F2P MMOs are pushing out (meaningful) content updates every few weeks (some as low as 4 weeks interval), and Cryptic still has their content on a rotation of every 6 months or so, you could understand how some people might be upset about not having anything "new to do".

Now....
    Content in 2010: crafting revamp, STFs, skill respecs, sector space revamp, 5 minute FEs

Content in 2011: Qo'nos revamp, shooter mode, FTP, DOFF system, skill revamp, economy overhaul

Content in 2012 (2 Seasons): Fleet Starbase, Fleet Mark Missions (NWS, Fleet Defense, ect.), Tau DeWA Sector, Embassy, Rep System

Content in 2013: (2 seasons, 1 expansion) Romulan Faction (1-19 missions), KDF Level 1-19 missions, over 20 romulan ships, romulan rep (2 or 3 missions), voth rep (2 missions), dyson battlezone, dyson space adventure zone, new romulus missions, patrol missions, sphere of influence, circles within circles, nukara rep (nukara prime), fleet mine, fleet spire, warp cores, redesigned UI, new fed tutorial, elachi enemy faction, trait system overhaul

Content in 2014: (one half season, one full season, one expansion) Secondary Deflectors, Surface Tension, a step between stars, 8472 rep (2 missions) "as many missions as LOR (40+), Delta Quadrant, 8472 BZ, Cheaper rep, sponsorship tokens, borg episode chain revamp (4 missions), revamped fed missions, admittedly WIP Loadout system, revamped undine faction, new ESD, new kit system, "raider" flanking bonus, revamp of tailor to include armor/kit pieces

In conclusion, content being added has increased MASSIVELY year by year.
    Enough said
  • stf65stf65 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    You clearly do not value your own time , since that expansion is coming in another 6 months at best (unforeseen delays not counting) .
    I figured out your problem. You're so bored with the game as is that you're begging for crappy content to be added back in. Content that was despised by most of the forum 2 years ago; and praised when it was changed with ftp.

Also, the expansion is coming in any time between august and december. So 3 to 4 months is far more likely. If you can't stand playing for 3 to 4 months due to everything being too simple for you then take a break. They didn't miss the lor launch date and I don't expect them to miss ep 2's either.
    I'll take pleasure in the subtle irony that that bile comes from a player calling himself "stf65" .
    I changed my handle to stf65 with the new forum because it took me 65 trips through the stfs to get all my gear pieces; something that is considered insane by modern mmo standards. Thank god for the rep system.
    Oh , and I'm not a "power gamer" -- STO is pretty much my only game .
    You don't need to play a lot of games to be a power gamer. You simply need to be someone who plays a lot and spends a lot of time maximizing their build for effeciency. Looking at your posts you fit that bill perfectly.
  • stf65stf65 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    The point is that Gozer's stfs have been gone over 2 years now. The vast majority of people playing sto now have never played Gozer's stfs. These new versions aren't Gozers. They were conceived by the staff writer, made once by Gozer, made a second time by Gozer, and then completely remade by someone else for ftp. The stfs being played for the rep system have nothing really in common with Gozer's version.
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    The point is that Gozer's stfs have been gone over 2 years now. The vast majority of people playing sto now have never played Gozer's stfs. These new versions aren't Gozers. They were conceived by the staff writer, made once by Gozer, made a second time by Gozer, and then completely remade by someone else for ftp. The stfs being played for the rep system have nothing really in common with Gozer's version.

That's because Gozer's revamp of the STFs sucked. Mk XII equipment was dependant on a sometimes unforgiving RNG. 168 runs of KAGE in a row before Prototype Armor Tech dropped for me. I kept track.

That's anecdotal, but when the forums were rioting, Gozer was telling people to suck it up and get over it, that the drop rate for Prototype Armor Tech would not change.

Of course, once he left Cryptic, what happened? Prototype Tech rates were increased substantially. And then it became a non-issue because Prototype Tech was transformed into the 'new' Reputation system.

Which meant everybody had a chance at getting their Mk XII armor through long, laborious daily grinding -- instead of relying on an RNG to decide whether or not they get what they came for, which meant even more grinding if you wanted entire sets.

There was the possibility that you could never get Mk XII equipment no matter how many Elite STFs you played. That was Gozer's version.

And that is bad game design. The rep system might make getting Mk XII equipment slower -- but it at least guarantees it.

Gozer was a hack with an undeserved ego. He created punishing game designs, not challenging ones.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited June 2014
    May I have your attention please?
    May I have your attention please?
    Will the real Devs please stand up?
    I repeat, will the real Devs please stand up?
    We're gonna have a problem here..
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • rfzanderrfzander Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    2012: season 6 and season 7.
    2013. lor and season 8.
    2014: season 8.5, season 9, and expansion pack 2.

When you take into account the amount of content in lor and in the upcoming upcoming expansion compared to what was in season 1-5 they're clearly putting out more playing content now then they did the first 2 years of the game.

As for earlier seasons in 2011, 4 was shooter mode and 5 was the ftp conversion. Not exactly huge playable content seasons.

S7=LoR this has been stated several times.
  • rfzanderrfzander Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    It's not rehabilitation .
    It's respect .

The Borg STF's are his babies . And they ARE the most played PVE content in game ... 4 years after they have been deployed in the game .
    Like it or not , that says something .
    Ppl tended to dismiss this with "well it's the best way to get Dill" .
    Well guess what , since the Dino Theme Park , that is no longer the case and ppl still play them the most . The numbers on the public queue board do not lie (and I myself play them a lot on private queues) .

The Borg STF's are also at times requested by different players to have either an "Ultra Elite" mode or the re-adding of the original versions of them into the game .
    It's a content that has a following .
    Same as PVP or the Foundry .

It's not like Cryptic is incapable to create quality content without Gozer .
    I enjoy the CE (especially the "event" version of it) as well as the new Undine ground mission and the latest FE .

But for every time Cryptic gets something right , there are a ton of dead queue missions that tell the tale of where they got it wrong .

You say that as if it were a bad thing . ;)

Ppl complained because :
    a) it's what we do .
    b) back then there was nothing else to do .
    c) some ppl were not good enough to do them (and I don't meant that as a criticism , I suck at some things too)

Nowadays that is not the case .
    But what we have nowadays is ONLY 5-15 minute "mini-raids" .
    And I'm sorry , but that is not content that you meet new friends in and get to communicate .
    That is just grind .
    The original STF's were an adventure , sometimes even a social adventure and I loved them for it . They were about supporting the weakest part of your team instead of DPS Kirk-ing it in a Scimi .

I agree here 1000000%. Bring back the original STFs, you know the Infected where you did the space then beamed to the station. The Cure where you destroyed the cubes, then beamed down to kill Armek, then beamed back up to destroy the carrier. The Khitomer where you stopped the probes and destroyed the gates, then went back in time and destroyed more cubes, then beamed down to kill more borg, then beamed back up to pop a bunch of borg probes, then fight Denotra.

I say bring back those versions of the STFs as an Ultra Elite mode with increased rewards.

But also... can we get some new STFs... like... now!!!! lol
  • askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    rfzander wrote: »
    no it's been stated the reverse. Season 7 and lor were different.
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• wilbor2wilbor2 Member Posts: 1,684 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I have noticed less from the devs since branflakes walked on us. I miss his blogs when the game down for a patch.

As for the borg stf i like cse because atlest there is a chance of failing with a pug que. I like the new missions both ground n space. But as a long term player ive maxed all but the newest rep out on multiple chars (n dont realy see the point of grinding it out). So i only really do missions to max my dill out n to get fleet marks. Yes the borg stf are still played more then the other missions n i think its because there give out good rewards n the fact that its the borg ur killing.
    gs9kwcxytstg.jpg
  • xiaoping88xiaoping88 Member Posts: 1,493 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    rfzander wrote: »

Ehm. No. To the contrary.
    Reality is an illusion.
    The universe is a hologram.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!