test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Colours on Alienware keyboards and mice??? Seriously???

darramouss1darramouss1 Member Posts: 1,811 Arc User
I cannot believe that, with all the bugs that currently exist in the game, any time would be spent making Alienware gear twinkle in different colours.

This shows that cryptic still don't have a realistic grasp of what the players want.

Haven't spent any money on the game in a long time now because of TRIBBLE like this and I feel really good about it.
Post edited by darramouss1 on

Comments

• eulifdaviseulifdavis Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    These things are important to some people. Also, the devs that work on features like this are usually not the same devs that can fix the plethora of bugs that bother people.

Each developer specializes in one particular part of the game. Some make environments, some make models, some create animations, etc. Some work on the UI, some program the engine, some write mission scripts, some write actual scripts (dialogue, etc.). And there's a lot more that I haven't even bothered to mention.

Then there's also the database engineers, network engineers, hardware maintenance, community relations, QA team.....

In other words, adding a feature like that has no bearing on whether or not your personal list of "pet-peeve" bugs is being fixed (or delayed) or not.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    What did I miss this time?
  • aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    eulifdavis wrote: »
    These things are important to some people.

Just like PvP and canon. And your point is...?

What did I miss this time?

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1134811
    Alienware keyboards and mice now have colored glow effects depending on what faction and state your captain is in.
    This applies to when the player is on ground or space maps.
    The keyboard and mouse will glow red for all captains when in a Red Alert state.
    The keyboard and mouse will glow blue for FED captains when in an idle state.
    The keyboard and mouse will glow orange for KDF captains when in an idle state.
    The keyboard and mouse will glow green for ROM captains when in an idle state.
    The keyboard and mouse will have no glow when map transitioning or when in menus.
    This applies to all Alienware keyboards and mice which have this interactive backlight function.
  • caldannachcaldannach Member Posts: 485 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Please cry more about pathetic pointless argumentative points that aren't even worth mentioning.

I have alienware, and i like the fact the colours change. it makes me happy when i swap characters.

Your tears are delicious.

Now seriously, get a grip of yourself. It probably took about 5 minutes for someone to code it....
    " Experience is a hard mistress, she gives the tests first, and the lessons after... "
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited June 2014

Oh. Well. I doubt the devs had much to do with that.
  • shaanithegreenshaanithegreen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    With all the bugs in this game, I cannot believe the devs are _________________ .

Fill in the blank with anything at all, including fixing bugs.
  • conundrumnsaconundrumnsa Member Posts: 705 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    People with Alienware hardware deserve to be punished...not rewarded.

Of course I guess you can say they are punished by having bought overpriced stuff just because of the name.
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Oh yes..because every dev is responsible for bug fixes and not anything else..
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited June 2014

Of course I guess you can say they are punished by having bought overpriced stuff just because of the name.

This. Alienware's overpriced and overrated. Pay me $2000 and I will frakking build you a better-performing box for a third of what you'd pay for one of their premades.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • stomperx99stomperx99 Member Posts: 863 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    ashkrik23 wrote: »

I kinda love you. :o

joking BUT YOU CAN'T SEE THIS!
    ZomboDroid10122015042230.jpg

I'm sorry to people who I, in the past, insulted, annoyed, etc.
  • aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited June 2014

They already have been- they paid through the nose for an overpriced Dell with some "way cool junior" lights.
  • darramouss1darramouss1 Member Posts: 1,811 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    caldannach wrote: »
    Please cry more about pathetic pointless argumentative points that aren't even worth mentioning.

I have alienware, and i like the fact the colours change. it makes me happy when i swap characters.

Your tears are delicious.

Now seriously, get a grip of yourself. It probably took about 5 minutes for someone to code it....

Blinking lights make a game good for you? I have a suggestion for you that will further enrich your playing experience. Attach a bell to your spacebar. I bet the game will go to the next level for you. Quite possibly the level above that, even.

ashkrik23 wrote: »

Your premise is based on there being a dev that knows nothing of coding anything but one specific field. Such as making Alienware lights turning on and off. No. I'm sure each dev is capable of doing various tasks but is assigned to a particular task by management. Management should be assigning people to the things that matter. Things that affect the majority of the player base, not a small subsection.
    edited June 2014

Your premise is based on there being a dev that knows nothing of coding anything but one specific field. Such as making Alienware lights turning on and off. No. I'm sure each dev is capable of doing various tasks but is assigned to a particular task by management. Management should be assigning people to the things that matter. Things that affect the majority of the player base, not a small subsection.

Get the 3D artists on fixing on fixing bugs right away!

No, not THOSE bugs! Those don't count! Just the ones this guy cares about!
  • zbzznzbzzn Member Posts: 221 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Heh, I'm using an Alienware 17 laptop. I wonder if this affects the AlienFX lighting on my system. I agree that it's totally superficial, but I think it would be kind of cool to have my lighting change depending on the situation in-game (ie. red alert).
  • redz4twredz4tw Member Posts: 3
    edited June 2014
    Just like PvP and canon. And your point is...?

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1134811
    I'm actually quite impressed, and happy. I don't own anything alienware, don't plan to either. Unless it's a mouse, that's still pretty damn cool.
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,903 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    starswordc wrote: »
    This. Alienware's overpriced and overrated. Pay me $2000 and I will frakking build you a better-performing box for a third of what you'd pay for one of their premades.

this. my new box cost about 1100 dollars and the only scrimp was the graphics card. the gtx 770 is the best bang for the buck, IMHO. you are not getting a much better processor that the i7 4770K CPU. a 2K budget would be a montser machine
    sig.jpg
  • stf65stf65 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I was going to try and be logical and explain it to you, but then I looked at your last 30 posts and realized it would be pointless. I can't find anything in the game you don't complain about.

I'll try and explain it anyway.

Many things in this game are projects the devs do on their own time. Things like the captain's table, doff system, android boff, and so on. One of the Devs probably has an alienware keyboard and wanted to use the lights so one night he was sitting at home and wrote the code to do it. It didn't cost Cryptic anything and the dev was never assigned to do it. It was a 'for fun' project, just like many other similar projects over the last 4 years.
  • bbushwookiebbushwookie Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Dear god...who cares? A 5 min code created for Alienware is not going to take the devs away from their fixing the game. I think it's cool for whoever have it. Like you said, you stopped paying on anything in game, so...don't complain.:rolleyes:
    Space chatter is soothing~
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    this. my new box cost about 1100 dollars and the only scrimp was the graphics card. the gtx 770 is the best bang for the buck, IMHO. you are not getting a much better processor that the i7 4770K CPU. a 2K budget would be a montser machine
    Well, part of the 2k is my fee, understand. :P
    STUUUUUUUUUUUUFF!

When you leave, can I has your doom?

Ur doin it rong.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    starswordc wrote: »
    Ur doin it rong.
    I dunno... Aside from making me laugh, he accomplished the same thing. :P
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • alpharaider47#7707 alpharaider47 Member Posts: 171 Arc User
    edited June 2014

Why should I be punished for making a purchase that does not directly impact the lives of those who dislike Alienware? While I will agree that they are overpriced, I don't see that as grounds to hate upon their customers. My Alienware laptop, while not perfect, performs its job admirably- if I needed more right now I would build my own desktop.

With that out of my system, I'm very much enjoying the color changes. It's a small gimmick, but it's fun and seems to work alright :P
    sFfAcbR.jpg
    STO Beta Test and Launch Veteran
    edited June 2014
    Why should I be punished for making a purchase that does not directly impact the lives of those who dislike Alienware?

It's expensive and popular and therefore bad.

[computerhipster]I have a Razor mouse and keyboard, but you probably haven't heard of them. [/computerhipster]
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    This would most likely be done by someone who handles the system side of things. The technical bits and bobs and has nothing to do with the people who fix bugs.

Considering we don't know how long this took, whether it was a side project or if the guy who didn't just had some spare time, it's too easy to complain that the time could have been spent better elsewhere when we really don't know anything about the effort involved and how the time could or could not have been spent elsewhere.
  • organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Fact: this was done because of a marketing cooperation between Cryptic and Alienware.

Fact: assigning 5 colors to an in-game happening doesn't require 7 Devs. Thats one guy's doing who works in the interface/game mechanic department.

Fact: every experienced programmer can do this in what? A few hours, testing included?

Next on Rant TV: wahhhh, Cryptic's Chef is cooking meals instead of fixing bugs. This game looses players.
  • damix4damix4 Member Posts: 609 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Next on Rant TV: wahhhh, Cryptic's Chef is cooking meals instead of fixing bugs. This game looses players.

This made my day, thank you :)
  • tenkaritenkari Member Posts: 2,906 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I dunno... Aside from making me laugh, he accomplished the same thing. :P

or he's a doom collector and hates stuff?
  • kamenriderzero1kamenriderzero1 Member Posts: 906 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Why would I pay you twice what my machine is worth?

X51 deskstops start at $700, and mine works great.
    Everywhere I look, people are screaming about how bad Cryptic is.
    What's my position?
    That people should know what they're screaming about!
    (paraphrased from "The Newsroom)
  • tarastheslayertarastheslayer Member Posts: 1,541 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2014
    I don't have a problem with it, not every dev bug fixes and besides, in case you haven't noticed Alienware have their logo at the bottom most pages on the site.
    Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head. - Euripides
    I no longer do any Bug Hunting work for Cryptic. I may resume if a serious attempt to fix the game is made.
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I don't have a problem with it, not every dev bug fixes and besides, in case you haven't noticed Alienware have their logo at the bottom most pages on the site.

Yep, the four logos from four crappy companies down there at the bottom. ;)
  • tenkaritenkari Member Posts: 2,906 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Yep, the four logos from four crappy companies down there at the bottom. ;)

if you think all four are crappy, why are you even here?

you know, because cryptic is one of the four logos.