What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Republic Concept Art of Outfits that you go "Shut up and take my money"

Comments

• Options
    oracion666oracion666 Member Posts: 338 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I just want more outfits so I can spend more time in the tailor. I love the tailor. The tailor and me are best buds.
    Formerly known as Echo@Rivyn13
    Member since early 2011

• Options
    alyciatalalyciatal Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Some of them are so lovely! I would wear some of that dresses in real life!

It's a shame that there isn't a skirt option for us pointy-ear girls without paying Zen... and just for the 23rd Century versions!:(
    This concept have a lot of options that I would glady make my Tal'Exa wear without having to wait for 200 or more days of gameplay.

Great find, I really hope to see some Romulan clothing improvement, if our story really advances past the refugee into have finally the Republic built... and so begin to wear real uniform and clothes made with some prosperity behind!
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    alyciatal wrote: »
    Some of them are so lovely! I would wear some of that dresses in real life!

It's a shame that there isn't a skirt option for us pointy-ear girls without paying Zen... and just for the 23rd Century versions!:(
    This concept have a lot of options that I would glady make my Tal'Exa wear without having to wait for 200 or more days of gameplay.

Great find, I really hope to see some Romulan clothing improvement, if our story really advances past the refugee into have finally the Republic built... and so begin to wear real uniform and clothes made with some prosperity behind!
    You have a civilian skirt for free. It's not a miniskirt, but I find it cool.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    alyciatalalyciatal Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    erei1 wrote: »
    You have a civilian skirt for free. It's not a miniskirt, but I find it cool.

But that's what its name says: a civilian piece of clothing... I saw and tried myself to combine it with uniform upper clothing and the effect is a quite messed up one.
    It works great to build an off-duty dress, but to use it when you go to mission out in space, meh...

And I don't necessarily search for miniskirts!
    This great concepts show a lot of alternatives that can be developed, the important is to have some base combination chances that makes some sense.

Well, let's hope at least in some good swimming suit in the ucpcoming Risa Event.
  • Options
    wooliewoolwooliewool Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Honestly not that impressed by all the old Western inspired outfits. While technically well executed, they fit in with the Romulans about as well as they would with the Breen. I do like some of the hairstyles, like the left one from:

http://static.squarespace.com/static/505e59a7c4aa069d5ffdde38/53235cdee4b0182e183c6c17/52026b4ae4b0882b61559cb9/1375890253522/Romulan_Clothes_02.jpg?format=750w

Kinda reminiscent of the Valeris haircut except made more 'Romulan'. I like it a lot. Not a big fan of the long hairstyles or the western inspired uniforms. All the male uniforms are missing is some spurs and cowboy hats and they'd be all set to go rustle some epohhs. And IMO long hair and frilly skirts just looks weird on Romulan women.

Again, while the art might look good, in context with Romulans it just doesn't fit IMO. I'd rather have Nemesis or DS9 uniforms or Ambassador Nanclus's outfit than any of that, personally.

Well the people of Virinat are Romulan country bumpkins. Somehow I doubt the privileged citizens of Rator III would allow their children to look like the one in the first concept art lineup with ratty, ill-fitting clothes and no shoes.
    stelakkh wrote: »
    I don't see anything there I'd want to spend money on.

None of them - none - look or feel like anything Romulan.

It looks like - with respect to the artist because he's apparently quite good - he spent far too much time at cosplay cons, renaissance festivals, and watching the Star Wars prequels and absolutely no time at all looking at the Romulan costumes of the TV series - and even (though I'm loath to say it), the absolute worst Trek film ever: Nemesis.

While we don't have much of anything when it comes to a reference for Romulan civilian attire, none of those concept oufits are informed by what we DO know.

Oh, and on a final note, the one all the way to the right? What in the name of Me is that?! Sailor Moon Romulan? Please.
    Say what you want about Nematodes, it dramatically improved the Romulan costumes. The problem with sticking to the TNG/TOS military uniforms, besides the fact that they're military and not necessarily representative of civilian clothing (when was the last time you saw someone who was not a US soldier, a hunter, or a wannabe walking around in a camouflage monkey suit and combat boots?), is that they are hideous. Some of them look like they were made from shower curtains. The Nematodes costumes look terribly stiff and uncomfortable but at least they look like clothes; the TNG uniforms don't even get that right.

(P.S. I will pay 550 Zen for Hakeev's shoulder pads. I must have them.)
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Any uniforms to make the Romulans look like Romulans and not Steampunk Elves.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    catoblepasbetacatoblepasbeta Member Posts: 1,532 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    wooliewool wrote: »
    *snip*

The TNG uniforms looking bad is your opinion. I do not think they looked hideous. certainly less hideous than some of these country bumpkin outfits.

And yes, TNG Romulan civilians did wear pretty much the same thing.

A Civilian retexture for the TNG uniform (and the Tal Shiar material, for that matter) and some DS9 and ENT Romulan uniforms are things I'd rather see.

Most of these outfits look like they would be better served worn by cowboys, belhops, or LoTR extras.
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    The TNG uniforms looking bad is your opinion. I do not think they looked hideous. certainly less hideous than some of these country bumpkin outfits.

A Civilian retexture for the TNG uniform (and the Tal Shiar material, for that matter) and some DS9 and ENT Romulan uniforms are things I'd rather see.

Most of these outfits look like they would be better served worn by cowboys, belhops, or LoTR extras.
    STO is not about DS9, TOS or TNG, but decades later. This is how Romulan looked in TOS (notice the wonderful helmet), and this is how they looked in TNG. Fashion evolve over time, and the show had to adapt. Which was realistic in a sense, as even for aliens, fashion is probably evolving to.
    While flashy color was cool back in the 60', shoulderpads was nice in the 80'. We are in 2014 and shoulderpads like that are ridiculous.

Most fans want to see the show as it was, and failed to see how ST evolved over the year, to be in line with our world.

So yeah, Romulan fashion had to evolve. And while I don't like some of the costume, some of them are really nice indeed.

And if you don't like it anyway, then you can still use tos or tng costume, so I guess it's fine, right ?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    shadokittyshadokitty Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I bought the Romulan TOS Uniform, cause I was sick of the Republic Fed uniform. Might keep the Klingon Republic uniform though.
  • Options
    rosetyler51rosetyler51 Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    edited June 2014

When you say TNG uniforms are you talking about the puffy jackets? The real big ones that look ugly in STO?
  • Options
    admiraldcadmiraldc Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I just wish they'd fix the rank shoulder pads. They've looked hideously oversized on female characters ever since the 24th Century uniforms came out. They look okay with those and they're less ridiculous on the Tal Shiar uniform and the more pointy-shouldered Survivor Romulan outfits, but still, I'd like to have some indication of rank that doesn't look totally hideous on other outfits.
  • Options
    umaekoumaeko Member Posts: 748 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Yes. YES! Please fix the damned dual shoulderpads.

There was a time I loved them, but now with the big hoops of cloth, they just look broken.

They still have the original shoulderpads - I mean, they look the same as they did on Romulan males and they're fine for them.

If the character artists wanted to account for the larger shoulders of the 24th Century TNG uniforms... they could've at least let us keep the original ones and add an 'enlarged' version.

However, thus far, everytime I've posted about this over the ArtofStarTrekOnline boards, or Bug reports, it's been ignored.

Royally pisses me off.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    It does feel like it's kind of a forgotten issue, although I'll confess to not having really done much to raise it either on account of mostly lurking until I started posting here more recently.

Still, it remains ever-annoying to run around looking like some Uhlan, though I've started improvising some imitations via the Kit visuals we got in the tailor with S9.
  • Options
    sle1989sle1989 Member Posts: 552 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    We have the Reman Nemesis uniforms so how about the Romulan Nemesis uniforms?

And where is this skirt?
    y1arXbh.png

• Options
    hasukurobihasukurobi Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited June 2014

I do not mind that one though it is awfully punky. I really dig the Dress which looks properly ROMAN.

I still all but want to spew every time I see my "Security Team" beam down or see the random Romulans wearing Wild West Denny's outfits... Really takes a lot of the pride and power out of a once mighty and prideful Roman themed group of Dark Space Elves.
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    sle1989 wrote: »
    We have the Reman Nemesis uniforms so how about the Romulan Nemesis uniforms?

And where is this skirt?

I am always all for canon uniforms regardless of Fed, Rom, KDF. The Nemesis style Romulan military uniforms have been asked for since LOR came out. Same thing with the Tal Shiar DS9 / Dominion War era uniforms. At least the Rom Embassy Robes are the same ones as used by the Romulan Senate from Nemesis.

And the skirt is in the same place as the Fed Odyssey uniform accessories and the remaining 75% of the KDF Bortasqu' uniform.

Development Purgatory.
    hasukurobi wrote: »
    I do not mind that one though it is awfully punky. I really dig the Dress which looks properly ROMAN.

I still all but want to spew every time I see my "Security Team" beam down or see the random Romulans wearing Wild West Denny's outfits... Really takes a lot of the pride and power out of a once mighty and prideful Roman themed group of Dark Space Elves.

TOS Romulans were so aggressive, warmongering, and bloodthirsty as hell.

And we loved them for that :cool: In TOS "Balance of Terror," Kirk was not completely sold on pursuing the Romulan Warbird into the Neutral Zone despite its raid into Federation territory. McCoy was completely against going into the Neutral Zone for risking to spark another deadly Federation-Romulan War. Another officer was all for more aggression and to chase down the Warbird into the Neutral Zone, treaties be damned. But Kirk was still not sold. However, Spock shockingly agreed with the other officer's aggressive recommendation: to attack the Romulan Warbird. The Federation HAD to attack in reprisal for the bases the Warbird smashed. He said not doing so would be taken as a sign of weakness by the Romulans, if they were any close to how the Vulcans were before taking on their current ways centered on Logic and the controlling of their emotions. Not going on the attack would only *encourage* the Romulans to be that much more aggressive. That sold Kirk. And they defeated the Warbird in a game of wits, preventing a new war to start.

Then we have the Rom Republic Romulans...
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    hasukurobihasukurobi Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited June 2014

And we loved them for that :cool: In TOS "Balance of Terror," Kirk was not completely sold on pursuing the Romulan Warbird into the Neutral Zone despite its raid into Federation territory. McCoy was completely against going into the Neutral Zone for risking to spark another deadly Federation-Romulan War. Another officer was all for more aggression and to chase down the Warbird into the Neutral Zone, treaties be damned. But Kirk was still not sold. However, Spock shockingly agreed with the other officer's aggressive recommendation: to attack the Romulan Warbird. The Federation HAD to attack in reprisal for the bases the Warbird smashed. He said not doing so would be taken as a sign of weakness by the Romulans, if they were any close to how the Vulcans were before taking on their current ways centered on Logic and the controlling of their emotions. Not going on the attack would only *encourage* the Romulans to be that much more aggressive. That sold Kirk. And they defeated the Warbird in a game of wits, preventing a new war to start.

Or in other words... "Oh how the mighty have fallen..."

Seriously though... The ToS uniforms were also quite good. The female outfit was downright alluring and the males were color coded, had helmets, and looked like Proper Soldiers. I also loved the ToS AND TNG Romulans for their savvy, seductive, prideful way of behaving.

Now do not get me wrong. I am completely fine with them finally being good guys and all but considering how they were in the past the way I would imagine them becoming the good guys would be this: They would get their act together. Form up the most powerful and professional military they could muster. Use their skills of deception and espionage against the likes of the Undine and other enemies and ultimately be the BEST possible good guy there is. I would not just act like the second fiddle the Luigi to their Mario.

Romulans have always been full of passion and state pride and that should not end. They should be the best they can possibly be and rise above adversity to shine.
  • Options
    revandarklighterrevandarklighter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Or in other words... "Oh how the mighty have fallen..."

Seriously though... The ToS uniforms were also quite good. The female outfit was downright alluring and the males were color coded, had helmets, and looked like Proper Soldiers. I also loved the ToS AND TNG Romulans for their savvy, seductive, prideful way of behaving.

Now do not get me wrong. I am completely fine with them finally being good guys and all but considering how they were in the past the way I would imagine them becoming the good guys would be this: They would get their act together. Form up the most powerful and professional military they could muster. Use their skills of deception and espionage against the likes of the Undine and other enemies and ultimately be the BEST possible good guy there is. I would not just act like the second fiddle the Luigi to their Mario.

Romulans have always been full of passion and state pride and that should not end. They should be the best they can possibly be and rise above adversity to shine.

Well they have fallen. Romulus got blown up.

But agreed for the rest. "them being good guys" or "them being bad guys".... The world isn't black or white. Pretty much all people are not good guys or bad guys they are something in between.
    Sometimes people do good things for bad reasons, sometimes bad things for good reasons.
    The D'Tan pansies are far to concerned to applie to federation ideals to be real romulans, that's the problem. Not that they are "not bad guys". I never saw the romulans as just bad guys, the only cliche romulan being just bad for being bad was Nero. And the only romulan about him were the pointy ears anyway.
    Problem is the romulans do not behave like romulans.... Simple as that.
  • Options
    bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,781 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    umaeko wrote: »
    Yes. YES! Please fix the damned dual shoulderpads.

There was a time I loved them, but now with the big hoops of cloth, they just look broken.

They still have the original shoulderpads - I mean, they look the same as they did on Romulan males and they're fine for them.

If the character artists wanted to account for the larger shoulders of the 24th Century TNG uniforms... they could've at least let us keep the original ones and add an 'enlarged' version.

However, thus far, everytime I've posted about this over the ArtofStarTrekOnline boards, or Bug reports, it's been ignored.

Royally pisses me off.

I've found that reducing the "Shoulder Bulk" to 0%, Reducing "Shoulder Width" to about 50% and decreasing 'Arm Bulk" to about 50% reduces the the Shoulder Pads down to at least non-comical proportions, but they only work well with certain armors. they really need to take a good look at those.

Then there is the TNG era "Padded" Uniforms, I know they are quite bulky in the shows, but seriously, unless you set your female toons body to 0% on Shoulder's/Arms/Torso/Stomach, they end up looking more like the Michelin Man!

Also, I'd like the Devs to have a look at the "Reman Klingon 1" (??? or maybe '2') Female Boots, the clipping on the shin/ankle/calf is downright hideous when used with a skirt, unless you use the "Stockings" option on the legs, and have the boots colour set to black/dark grey.
    Oh, hoho hohhhhh, Oh,, hoho, hohhhhh
    My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zps5etu86s1.png
  • Options
    protogothprotogoth Member Posts: 2,369 Arc User
    edited June 2014

*exasperated noise* Your "interpretation" of the TOS Romulans is so colored by your own TNG-era revisionist bias as to be nonsensical. Kares was a warrior, yes. He was also far from ecstatic about the foolhardy mission he was sent on, knowing that it could easily lead to another war with the Federation and was entirely unnecessary, the gamble of some clueless politician out to make a name for himself in the history books without concern for those he would step on and send to their deaths in his bid for glory. With the exception of that Praetor and the one crew member aboard the T'liss who was too green to know what battle really was, Romulans in this story cannot be even remotely described as "warmongering" or "bloodthirsty," and the "aggressive" nature of the mission was not Kares' choice, but the order of his Praetor, which he as a military officer was groomed to obey (albeit not without question, as the history of the Romulan people makes plain over and over). Di'on Charvon offered amnesty (and a return to Federation territory) to the entire crew of the Enterprise with the sole exception of Kirk, having been misled by a Vulcan who "cannot lie" into believing that Kirk had fallen out of his tree, after that ship engaged in blatant violation of the Neutral Zone. Rather than being the aggressor, she was responding to an act of aggression on the part of the Federation, and her offering amnesty to the crew is also anything but bloodthirsty or warmongering.

And what exactly do you think the Romulan Republic Romulans are? What distorted vision do you have of them? "Space hippies"? Yeah, cliche coined by some malcontent who was butthurt that he/she didn't get to be a thug and tried but failed to be "cute" in this Straw Man ad Hominem, but not at all an accurate description of a people who have beaten the snot out of the Tal'Shiar at every attempt of that group to stir TRIBBLE covertly or attack openly, a people who have driven the shattered remnants of the Star Empire further and further back (yeah, yeah, "the Republic only has Tau Dewa," except, that's only true if you ignore the storyline content. The Haakona system is in the hands of the Remans, who are now part of the Republic. Brea-III was invaded by Republic Forces, who executed the madman Hakeev and nearly did likewise with the halfbreed pretender. I do not think the Brea system is still in the hands of the RSE or the Tal'Shiar. Other systems in allegedly RSE territory have likewise seen battles in which the forces of the Republic were victorious, or have been taken over by profiteering Feh'rengsu and/or rogue Orion and/or Nausicaan pirates. All this strength, and yet, the Republic Romulans "are not 'real' Romulans, they're wimps, they're space hippies, they're bunny herders," and all the other ridiculous attempts at slander ignoring the actual events.

Always state pride? Seriously? Do you have any idea why the ancestors of the Romulans and Remans left Vulcan? I can assure you it was not due to anything like "state pride," and the RSE did not come into existence the moment they left, nor the moment they arrived in the Eisn system. In fact, to describe the "government" which the Romulans and Remans had prior to the rise of the Romulan Confederation (which gave way to the RSE) as a "state" is absolute hogwash. Prior to that confederation of city-states on the two worlds, the "polity" (if it can even be called that) of the Romulans and Remans was pre-state and still primarily tribal in nature, even the Romulan Tribal Confederation which eventually mutated into the Romulan Confederation. "Oh, but that's soft canon." Yeah, soft canon which STO treats as authoritative. So sorry, but that's the lore used as authority upon which to build further lore specifically for the game itself. This isn't going to change radically without a total rewrite of the entire game lore, and that's an extremely unlikely prospect.
    The D'Tan pansies are far to concerned to applie to federation ideals to be real romulans, that's the problem. Not that they are "not bad guys". I never saw the romulans as just bad guys, the only cliche romulan being just bad for being bad was Nero. And the only romulan about him were the pointy ears anyway.
    Problem is the romulans do not behave like romulans.... Simple as that.

And now "pansies"? Perhaps you're not aware, but this is a slur which is not something you should be using in these fora, no matter who your intended target be.

Not everyone who is loyal to the Republic is a Reunificationist (in fact, based on what we've actually seen in the storyline, they're likely to be a minority), and Federation ideals are not particularly characteristic of the Republic. TOS Romulans were NOT your beloved TNG-era brainwashed and terrorized militarists and fascists and sheeple. As far as I'm concerned, the vast majority of Romulans depicted in TNG and later were the "fake" Romulans, and the TOS Romulans were how Romulan society, even among military personnel, was supposed to be. Why TNG's people chose to throw out the original depiction of the Romulans in favor of an almost entirely alien culture (by which I mean alien to the original depiction) has got to be one of the most astounding bits of creative stupidity to have ever sullied the screens of televisions.

And yes, the Republic Romulans do behave like Romulans, much closer to the original Romulans of the 1960s, than the jack-booted thugs of TNG and later.

My grey heart burns with the green plasma fire of the mnhei'sahe of the collective psyche of the Romulan and Reman peoples, that fire beng love of freedom, and not submission to some inbred "noble" swine with a full-blown psychosis who thinks only of benefiting himself/herself and not of the best interests of Romulans and Remans. The RSE had its good leaders, and it also had more than its fair share of veruulir dyypanir u'/riud hhakhir u'/riud nohthor who should have been strangled in utero by their own umbilical cords to spare the Romulan and Reman people from ever having to put up with such outrageous idiocy.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    ...As much as I like laughing at Imperial die-harding, can we please keep it to player customization options in here? Please let some thread in here not devolve into this dead...(protogoth, what's a Romulan word for something akin to a horse)-beating.

I can get behind the Nemesis and DS9/VOY uniforms. Customization is always nice. Still mostly want those shoulder pads fixed.

Maybe add shoulder-cape-less options for the admiral level ones at that? I don't say this out of dislike of them but I've noticed at least one NPC missing them, that being the veteran dilithium refiner (who also has reasonably sized pre-TNG uniform ones at that! *shakes fist*). Since they've already done it it seems fair.

Although that could apply to a lot of things that haven't happened.
  • Options
    shaanithegreenshaanithegreen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014

(. . . .)

""You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend. We are creatures of duty, captain. I have lived my life by it. Just one more duty to perform."

Yeah, I'm afraid you completely missed the point of that episode. The point was that both men (Kirk and the Commander) were both thrust into a conflict that they knew was a meaningless squabble over a line on a map drawn a century ago for reasons people only vaguely recall, yet were prepared to fulfill their duty over even their own common sense.

The entire episode after the Romulans are revealed is basically humanizing them, or showing how some people on the Enterprise crew is equally as "aggressive, warmongering, and bloodthirsty as hell".

Balance of Terror is the best argument for Republic Romulans, and anyone who says differently is misunderstanding Trek on it's most basic level.
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    edited June 2014
    protogoth wrote: »
    the gamble of some clueless politician out to make a name for himself in the history books without concern for those he would step on and send to their deaths in his bid for glory. With the exception of that Praetor and the one crew member aboard the T'liss who was too green to know what battle really was, Romulans in this story cannot be even remotely described as "warmongering" or "bloodthirsty," and the "aggressive" nature of the mission was not Kares' choice, but the order of his Praetor, which he as a military officer was groomed to obey

Did proto just make one of the best arguments yet for the ToS Romulan government being very much like the TNG era depiction or is it just me? :P

edit:
    closer to the original topic, this isnt STO concept art but I think itd be a great outfit
    idea of the Romulan Commander as she would appear in JJ's Nu universe
  • Options
    peregryperegry Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Did proto just make one of the best arguments yet for the ToS Romulan government being very much like the TNG era depiction or is it just me? :P

edit:
    closer to the original topic, this isnt STO concept art but I think itd be a great outfit

I like it, though I think the red should be a deep purple like the TOS Romulan commanders wore. That would keep them more visual distinctive from the Klingons and Feds.
  • Options
    tmassxtmassx Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    edited June 2014
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    edited June 2014
    peregry wrote: »
    I like it, though I think the red should be a deep purple like the TOS Romulan commanders wore. That would keep them more visual distinctive from the Klingons and Feds.

Or even green would work.. but yeah I agree with ya, red isn't the best choice
  • Options
    protogothprotogoth Member Posts: 2,369 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    peregry wrote: »

The color worn by Riovir in TOS is "Black Rose." It's more red than purple.

Black Rose
  • Options
    peregryperegry Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    The color worn by Riovir in TOS is "Black Rose." It's more red than purple.

Black Rose

Looks more purple than red to my eyes.

It's actually similar to Tyrian Purple, which was the "Imperial Purple" of ancient Rome. Which is likely intentional.
  • Options
    vhiranikosvhiranikos Member Posts: 208 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    *exasperated noise* Your "interpretation" of the TOS Romulans is so colored by your own TNG-era revisionist bias as to be nonsensical. Kares was a warrior, yes. He was also far from ecstatic about the foolhardy mission he was sent on, knowing that it could easily lead to another war with the Federation and was entirely unnecessary, the gamble of some clueless politician out to make a name for himself in the history books without concern for those he would step on and send to their deaths in his bid for glory. With the exception of that Praetor and the one crew member aboard the T'liss who was too green to know what battle really was, Romulans in this story cannot be even remotely described as "warmongering" or "bloodthirsty," and the "aggressive" nature of the mission was not Kares' choice, but the order of his Praetor, which he as a military officer was groomed to obey (albeit not without question, as the history of the Romulan people makes plain over and over). Di'on Charvon offered amnesty (and a return to Federation territory) to the entire crew of the Enterprise with the sole exception of Kirk, having been misled by a Vulcan who "cannot lie" into believing that Kirk had fallen out of his tree, after that ship engaged in blatant violation of the Neutral Zone. Rather than being the aggressor, she was responding to an act of aggression on the part of the Federation, and her offering amnesty to the crew is also anything but bloodthirsty or warmongering.

And what exactly do you think the Romulan Republic Romulans are? What distorted vision do you have of them? "Space hippies"? Yeah, cliche coined by some malcontent who was butthurt that he/she didn't get to be a thug and tried but failed to be "cute" in this Straw Man ad Hominem, but not at all an accurate description of a people who have beaten the snot out of the Tal'Shiar at every attempt of that group to stir TRIBBLE covertly or attack openly, a people who have driven the shattered remnants of the Star Empire further and further back (yeah, yeah, "the Republic only has Tau Dewa," except, that's only true if you ignore the storyline content. The Haakona system is in the hands of the Remans, who are now part of the Republic. Brea-III was invaded by Republic Forces, who executed the madman Hakeev and nearly did likewise with the halfbreed pretender. I do not think the Brea system is still in the hands of the RSE or the Tal'Shiar. Other systems in allegedly RSE territory have likewise seen battles in which the forces of the Republic were victorious, or have been taken over by profiteering Feh'rengsu and/or rogue Orion and/or Nausicaan pirates. All this strength, and yet, the Republic Romulans "are not 'real' Romulans, they're wimps, they're space hippies, they're bunny herders," and all the other ridiculous attempts at slander ignoring the actual events.

Always state pride? Seriously? Do you have any idea why the ancestors of the Romulans and Remans left Vulcan? I can assure you it was not due to anything like "state pride," and the RSE did not come into existence the moment they left, nor the moment they arrived in the Eisn system. In fact, to describe the "government" which the Romulans and Remans had prior to the rise of the Romulan Confederation (which gave way to the RSE) as a "state" is absolute hogwash. Prior to that confederation of city-states on the two worlds, the "polity" (if it can even be called that) of the Romulans and Remans was pre-state and still primarily tribal in nature, even the Romulan Tribal Confederation which eventually mutated into the Romulan Confederation. "Oh, but that's soft canon." Yeah, soft canon which STO treats as authoritative. So sorry, but that's the lore used as authority upon which to build further lore specifically for the game itself. This isn't going to change radically without a total rewrite of the entire game lore, and that's an extremely unlikely prospect.

And now "pansies"? Perhaps you're not aware, but this is a slur which is not something you should be using in these fora, no matter who your intended target be.

Not everyone who is loyal to the Republic is a Reunificationist (in fact, based on what we've actually seen in the storyline, they're likely to be a minority), and Federation ideals are not particularly characteristic of the Republic. TOS Romulans were NOT your beloved TNG-era brainwashed and terrorized militarists and fascists and sheeple. As far as I'm concerned, the vast majority of Romulans depicted in TNG and later were the "fake" Romulans, and the TOS Romulans were how Romulan society, even among military personnel, was supposed to be. Why TNG's people chose to throw out the original depiction of the Romulans in favor of an almost entirely alien culture (by which I mean alien to the original depiction) has got to be one of the most astounding bits of creative stupidity to have ever sullied the screens of televisions.

And yes, the Republic Romulans do behave like Romulans, much closer to the original Romulans of the 1960s, than the jack-booted thugs of TNG and later.

My grey heart burns with the green plasma fire of the mnhei'sahe of the collective psyche of the Romulan and Reman peoples, that fire beng love of freedom, and not submission to some inbred "noble" swine with a full-blown psychosis who thinks only of benefiting himself/herself and not of the best interests of Romulans and Remans. The RSE had its good leaders, and it also had more than its fair share of veruulir dyypanir u'/riud hhakhir u'/riud nohthor who should have been strangled in utero by their own umbilical cords to spare the Romulan and Reman people from ever having to put up with such outrageous idiocy.

10/10, pure swag
  • Options
    astro2244astro2244 Member Posts: 623 Arc User
    edited June 2014

edit:

Pretty much.
    [SIGPIC]583px-Romulan_Star_Empire_logo%2C_2379.svg.png
    [/SIGPIC]