What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Rate the Star Trek movies so far best to worst

2»

Comments

• gorillachopsgorillachops Member Posts: 206 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    What's this?
    A chance to be shunned by the STO community at large because of personnal preferance?
    Sorted!

1) The Undiscovered Country
    2) Wrath of Khan
    3) Search for Spock
    4) Voyage Home
    5) First Contact
    6) Nemesis
    7) Inserrection
    8) Final Frontier
    9) Generations
    10) The (slow)Motion Picture
    giphy.gif
  • grandnaguszek1grandnaguszek1 Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Well, Chang was a Klingon and thus in love with Glorious Battle, so the motive for him is obvious. I'm not sure about the Starfleet Admiral, but I imagine he had something personal to gain from continued war as well.

Yea, they are literally conspiring together to kill each other...makes sense:rolleyes:.

I wish ST: The Undescovered Country remained Undescovered.
    say-star-wars-is-better.jpg
  • ricosakararicosakara Member Posts: 422 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    my List, from Best to Worst:

01.) ST IV: The Voyage Home
    02.) ST II: The Wrath of Khan
    03.) ST: First Contact
    04.) ST VI: The Undiscovered Country
    05.) Star Trek 2009
    06.) ST: The Motion Picture
    07.) ST III: The Search for Spock
    08.) ST V: The Final Frontier
    09.) ST: Generations
    10.) ST: Insurrection
    11.) ST Into Darkness
    12.) ST: Nemesis

BEST HONORABLE MENTION FOR TOP 5: Galaxy Quest

My reasons:
    I put The Voyage home as #1 simply because I'm a sucker for Time Travel episodes for Trek. Not only that, but the story and the atmosphere of the setting was more "down to Earth," as the pun would go. Wrath of Khan is my Dad's ONLY choose for a trek film, but for me personally, it stays at #2. Now personally, I think both First Contact AND The Undiscovered Country tie at #3, but I couldn't decide, so they're at #3 & 4 respectively. JJ Abrama's 2009 Trek is #5 as the lowest of the GREAT trek films.

As for bottom 7, The Motion Picture & Search for Spock are top two at #6 & 7 because they are the only Trek films I enjoy re-watching again from time to time. As for The Final Frontier, for me it's isn't the worst, because it is still tolerable for a trek film. The same goes for Generations. Insurrection and Into Darkness are trek films that should only be watch once in a great while. However, it should be noted that both Into Darkness AND Nemesis should be tied at worst trek film. However, Into Darkness isn't the worst - to me, it simply Wrath of Khan 2.0.

The worst goes to Nemesis simply for the following reason: Before Nemesis came out, I was hype for it because it was going to be one of the EVEN-NUMBERED Trek films, and the even ones, like WoK, TVH, TUC, and FC did great, story wise. When I saw the trailers I was hype. But then, when I finally went to see it in theaters and saw how the story played out, afterwards, I was pissed off and disappointed. The way the story structure was set up wasn't what I was expecting at all. Second, Shinzon's story wasn't in depth enough. I was expecting they show his back-story at the beginning of the film before and during the opening credits, and with more depth and detail. They didn't. The way the story went, even the climax was OFF, by a HUGE margin. And having Data die in such a small stupid way - it wasn't even funny. It was pathetic. While this film too could be Wrath of Khan 2.0, it's actually a Wrath of Khan rip-off. So for me, without a shadow of a dough, Star Trek: Nemesis is THE WORST Trek film in the history of the franchise. PERIOD.

The verdict:

The Voyage Home & Wrath of Khan: Two Thumbs WAY UP.

Into Darkness: Two Thumbs DOWN.

Nemesis: Two Middle Figures WAY UP THEIR BUTT, threw the wall, and with a twist.

That's my two cent.
  • jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited May 2014
    1. The Wrath of Khan
    2. First Contact
    3. The Voyage Home
    4. The Undiscovered Country
    5. Insurrection
    6: The Search for Spock
    7. Generations
    8. TMP
    9. Nemesis .....Canon breaking Scimitar
    10; The Final Frontier
    11: JJTrek Star trek
    12: JJTrek: Into darkness
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
  • chrisedallen89chrisedallen89 Member Posts: 17,293 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    1. Wrath of Khan
    2. First Contact
    3. Voyage Home
    4. Undiscovered Country
    5. Star Trek 09
    6. Search for Spock
    7. Generations
    8. Motion Picture
    9. Into Darkness
    10. Insurrection
    11. Final Frontier
    12. Nemesis

Honorable mention Galaxy Quest

While I can tolerate Star Trek 09 for being an enjoyable film but not an especially original film or having a deep villain. Search for Spock I felt was one of the better trek films while it had a mixture of comedy in it and the destruction of the original Enterprise. Generations was a outright mess. Motion Picture was zzzzzzz zzzzz worthy... Into Darkness was a massive disappointment in a script department no build up for the plot, no clear villain, and no emotional impact it was forced. If this was a purely section 31 film I would have rated it higher and been in the JJ band wagon.. (No Khan). Now the final three are movies I usually skip viewing after I saw them once. Insurrection was forgettable, Final Frontier and Nemesis were outright terrible.
  • capnmanxcapnmanx Member Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    1. ST: The Wrath of Khan
    2. ST: The Undiscovered Country
    3. ST: First Contact
    4. ST: The Search for Spock
    5. ST: The Voyage Home
    6: Star Trek JJ version
    7: ST: Nemesis
    8. ST: Into Darkness
    9. ST: Generations
    10: ST: The Final Frontier
    11. ST: The Motion Picture
    12: ST: Insurrection

Struggled a bit with this after number 4 (1 - 4 being the ones I thought were really good). 5 - 10 I thought were OK, but I don't take them seriously and feel no need to watch them again. 11 and 12 I just kinda wish didn't exist.
  • chrisedallen89chrisedallen89 Member Posts: 17,293 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    capnmanx wrote: »
    1. ST: The Wrath of Khan
    2. ST: The Undiscovered Country
    3. ST: First Contact
    4. ST: The Search for Spock
    6: Star Trek JJ version
    7: ST: Nemesis
    8. ST: Into Darkness
    9. ST: Generations
    10: ST: The Final Frontier
    11. ST: The Motion Picture
    12: ST: Insurrection

Struggled a bit with this after number 4 (1 - 4 being the ones I thought were really good). 5 - 10 I thought were OK, but I don't take them seriously and feel no need to watch them again. 11 and 12 I just kinda wish didn't exist.

I thought if they did a simple rewrite of Into Darkness the film would have worked better if they did not feel the need to shoehorn Khan in and remove the knock off moments including Kirk's death..
  • r5e4w3q2r5e4w3q2 Member Posts: 341 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    You right but the problem I had with that was a Klingon of that era would be trying to take in elements of the culture from their worst enemies whom they have been raised and taught to despise. It also implies that they had to learn elements of human literature, and a Klingon doing that? Give me a break! That kind of behavior in a Klingon would probably be discouraged and shunned.

All klingons probably not, they make a point that this klingon has studied humans quite a bit though(a know your enemy type thing). And like he sees parts of himself in Kirk, he sees the klingon parallels in earth's history. An intersting combination of insight and blindness that is not unique to him.

He, unlike a lot of klingons of the time see humans as, if not quite equals, not lesser lifeforms. He cannot quite wrap his mind around humans as a truly alien culture so he looks for parallels to klingon culture in his study of humans. The quotes are just examples to him of the parallels between humans and klingons, Kirk and himself.
  • richardewirichardewi Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    1. ST: Wrath of Khan
    2. TNG: First Contact
    3. ST 3: The Search for Spock
    4. TNG: Nemesis
    6. ST: The Motion Picture
    7. TNG: Generations
    8. ST: The Undiscovered Country
    9. TNG: Insurrection
    10. JJ's "Star Trek" (first movie)

I'm not sure why so many of you hated "Nemesis." Sure, it wasn't as good as First Contact, but it was a decent movie, even though my favorite TNG character, Data, is eliminated in this one I still enjoyed it.

I still think that First Contact is the best of the TNG films, and I haven't liked the JJ Abrams reboot at all, though I have been forced to see both films. (Can't have an opinion of them if you haven't watched them, right?)

I wonder if we can have a reboot of the TNG franchise, in which we discover that Data's consciousness survived the thalaron explosion and has drifted to the nearest planet, and now resides in a domestic animal....?
  • jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,803 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Here goes.

1) Wrath of Khan
    2) First Contact
    3) Undiscovered Country
    4) Voyage Home
    5) Search for Spock
    6) Generations
    7) Nemesis
    8) Star Trek '09
    11) Insurrection

Into Darkness and Motion Picture are unlisted as I have not seen them yet, thus any placing would be unfair.

Final Frontier is So Bad It's Good, so a placing on this list would be misrepresenting my opinions on its watchability versus its quality as a Trek movie. None of the other Trek movies pass that threshold.

Nemesis was bad but gets more hate than it really deserves. The battle with the Scimitar is almost worth sitting through the rest of the movie by itself.

ST'09 and Nemesis could be flipped easily. '09 was dumbly entertaining throughout and had a few good performances, making it as a whole a more tolerable sit, but no one thing outshines Nemesis' final battle.
    edited May 2014
    r5e4w3q2 wrote: »
    All klingons probably not, they make a point that this klingon has studied humans quite a bit though(a know your enemy type thing). And like he sees parts of himself in Kirk, he sees the klingon parallels in earth's history. An intersting combination of insight and blindness that is not unique to him.

He, unlike a lot of klingons of the time see humans as, if not quite equals, not lesser lifeforms. He cannot quite wrap his mind around humans as a truly alien culture so he looks for parallels to klingon culture in his study of humans. The quotes are just examples to him of the parallels between humans and klingons, Kirk and himself.

There are no references or inferences in the movie that he thought like that at all.
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Here we go:

1. Wrath of Khan
    2. Undiscovered Country
    3. Search for Spock
    4. Voyage home
    5. First Contact
    6. Nemesis
    7. Into Darkness
    8. TMP
    9. Insurrection
    10. Generations
    11. Star Trek 09
    12. Final Frontier

Yes for me Star trek 5 was god awful and tried to come out against the original Batman movie which was a DUMB move.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,545 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    1. - The Wrath of Khan

Why even bother with the others?

- Kirk dies in one of the other ones.
    - Spock dies in another.
    - But he comes back in yet another. Sadly, James T. stays dead.
    - Bones is schizophrenic for a lot of this one.
    - Christopher Lloyd kills the son James T. never knew he had.
    - Kirk blows up his one true love to save the crew.
    - Spock has an illegitimate half brother who smiles too much.
    - Spock's protege betrays the Federation.
    - An alien race takes a simple astrometric probe and turns it into an unstoppable juggernaut.
    - Another alien race just wants to have a quick word with the whales.
    - Deanna drives and the ship gets destroyed.
    - Riker drives and the Sona'a get destroyed.
    - Picard meets a copy/paste version of himself while driving and both the ship and Data get destroyed.
    - The Borg Queen gets a bad case of the hots for Data and then she gets destroyed.
    - Picard finally meets the girl of his dreams and finds out she's much too old for him.
    - Worf gets acne at the same time.
    - Just before the Borg Queen goes back in time to destroy the Humans, Worf nearly gets the Defiant destroyed. (Note: He finally manages to successfully pull this off in DS9.)
    - In TMP, we get the triumphant return of the Original Disco Ball. Which does apparently affect everyone right before it puts them to sleep.

I could go on, but I've already typed too much. :D
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • dougglendowerdougglendower Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    1: The Wrath Of Khan. The crew is there to balance Kirk, where as Khan cannot bring himself to listen to Joaquim.
    2: The Motion Picture. Robert Wise directed it, and it's all about the people instead of the tech. The interactions between the characters felt like it had been years since they'd been together and then slowly came back into being a crew. Jeez, that sounds familar.
    3: The Undiscovered Country. A fitting end to the series, and ties to both the TOS and TNG help bridge the years.
    4: The Search for Spock. Even more so than the Motion Picture, this is character driven, and we see all of the crew at their best to try to honor their fallen, or so we think, comrade.
    5: 2009. A solid effort, if a bit too action-orientated.
    6: Voyage Home: Fish out of water, for the lols.
    7: Generations. Felt like an episode streched into a movie.
    8: Insurrection: Felt a bit like a dumber version of Undiscovered Country
    9: Into Darkness: Haven't I seen this somewhere before? I liked the Cold Open, but everything after I'm sure I've seen somewhere before...
    10: Nemesis: Lolwhat?
    11: First Contact: "Worst Contact" is a better description. This was so disappointing, and Cromwell's Cochrane was a farce. Remains one of two ST movies I refuse to watch, own, or rent.
    12: Final Frontier: Disavowed. Nichols, Koenig, Takei all make a go of their (meager) roles, but everyone else phones it in for the Bill Shatner show.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • maddrivermaddriver Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    1. The Undiscovered Country
    2. The Voyage Home
    3. The Wrath of Khan
    4. First Contact
    5. The Search for Spock
    6. The Final Frontier
    7. Generations
    8. Nemesis
    9. Insurrection
    10. The Motion Picture
    Ignum Campaign NWS-DBBV2EY9G
    "The quest for the Book of Ignum"
    Chapter 1 Path to the Underworld NW-DA4N8EOZD
    "I have seen your future. I have seen your end"
  • jockey1979jockey1979 Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    maddriver wrote: »
    1. The Undiscovered Country
    2. The Voyage Home
    3. The Wrath of Khan
    4. First Contact
    5. The Search for Spock
    6. The Final Frontier
    7. Generations
    8. Nemesis
    9. Insurrection
    10. The Motion Picture

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.

Someone who didn't even bother adding JJ's ADHD Trek to their list.
    I thought people around here had good taste, but after seeing that ADHD rubbish on so many lists (at the 6 - 7 mark no less !!!!), I've quite changed my mind.

You sir (or madam), have restored some faith, that true lovers of Star Trek still exist.
    Also, I agree with your list, UC is the reason I fly B'rels on all 3 of my KDF - even in my gank from cloak video: To be, or not to be - went through my mind as I blew up feds in Kerrat, from cloak, in my beautiful B'rel :D

(and yes, I know there is a pic of the ADHD captain in my sig - it's there for completeness, not due to liking it :p )
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    First Contact
    Into Darkness
    Undiscovered Country
    Wrath of Khan
    Generations
    Star Trek
    Voyage Home
    Insurrection
    Nemesis
    Final Frontier
    The Search for Spock
    Motion Picture
  • rahmkota19rahmkota19 Member Posts: 1,929 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    jockey1979 wrote: »
    I thought people around here had good taste, but after seeing that ADHD rubbish on so many lists (at the 6 - 7 mark no less !!!!), I've quite changed my mind.

You sir (or madam), have restored some faith, that true lovers of Star Trek still exist.

You know, it is ok to dislike the JJ movies. I will never force anyone to like or dislike anything.

However, calling those of us that actually did enjoy those movies, which are canon Star Trek movies and therefore belong in the line, not true lovers of Star Trek............. dude.

You really want people to hate you as if you were Tovan Kurland or something? Don't insult people. Don't. Its against forum rules, its against what most STO forum users believe in, and its plain rude. If I would be the owner of your account, I'd edit the quoted part. Cause there are those who will find it offensive.
    edited May 2014

Also, I agree with your list, UC is the reason I fly B'rels on all 3 of my KDF - even in my gank from cloak video: To be, or not to be - went through my mind as I blew up feds in Kerrat, from cloak, in my beautiful B'rel :D

(and yes, I know there is a pic of the ADHD captain in my sig - it's there for completeness, not due to liking it :p )

No, please no more Klingon Shaksphere! Those lines were so corny in that movie my head wanted to explode! ( *head desk* *head desk*). To each his own I guess.

And as for TWoK, I thought Kahn was an ok villain. He didn't really have anything unique about him that 1000000 other Hollywood villains didn't already have. Granted he is genetically enhanced and wanted revenge but that's not really unique to a movie villain. I did think it was a fun and enjoyable movie to watch but at the same time Kahn was just kind of....blah. Then there is Shatner's acting but I guess all of them suffer from that;).
  • jockey1979jockey1979 Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    No, please no more Klingon Shaksphere! Those lines were so corny in that movie my head wanted to explode! ( *head desk* *head desk*). To each his own I guess.

And as for TWoK, I thought Kahn was an ok villain. He didn't really have anything unique about him that 1000000 other Hollywood villains didn't already have. Granted he is genetically enhanced and wanted revenge but that's not really unique to a movie villain. I did think it was a fun and enjoyable movie to watch but at the same time Kahn was just kind of....blah. Then there is Shatner's acting but I guess all of them suffer from that;).

Everything he has ever done suffers from that, it's that weird situation where he is so bad, he's quite good :confused:

I'm glad they never had Worf walking around just blurting out lines from Shakespeare, for the purpose of ST:UC I think it was quite amusing as it really shown the arrogance of the Klingons shooting from a cloaked ship.
    Thinking they were so indestructible they could mess about quoting stuff and not really concentrating on the battle all to have it backfire on them.

The whole "to be or not to be" in my mind is like an admission of their complacency when mixed with the expression on the Generals face - kind of like when we go "Oh s**t, f****d that right up).

rahmkota19 wrote: »
    You know, it is ok to dislike the JJ movies. I will never force anyone to like or dislike anything.

However, calling those of us that actually did enjoy those movies, which are canon Star Trek movies and therefore belong in the line, not true lovers of Star Trek............. dude.

You really want people to hate you as if you were Tovan Kurland or something? Don't insult people. Don't. Its against forum rules, its against what most STO forum users believe in, and its plain rude. If I would be the owner of your account, I'd edit the quoted part. Cause there are those who will find it offensive.

Lets break this down, point by point - I'll try to keep in the order you've brought it up.
    • I do not need your permission to like / dislike anything,
    • I'm entitled to my opinion and to express my opinion*,
    • I don't actually care what random strangers on the internet think of me (do you?),
    • I made a generalised statement, the Mods will tell me if I've breached any rules - not you,
    • I don't tell you what to do with your account, so don't tell me what to do with mine.

(* = When I'm in a Cafe and order Stilton Cheese with anything, random strangers will look at me and to my face say things along the lines of "Do you have any taste buds?", "It smells like poo", "You cannot be normal if you eat that!" and so on - Am I offended?, No. Do I act like a spoilt child over a random strangers opinion?, No. Do I try to force my opinion on them?, No. -- So, chill out and move on, life is a lot better if you stop being offended by everything and just get on with enjoying it.)
  • philipclaybergphilipclayberg Member Posts: 1,680
    edited May 2014
    1. ST3: The Search for Spock
    2. ST: First Contact
    3. ST6: The Undiscovered Country
    4. ST4: The Voyage Home
    5. ST (2009)
    6: ST: The Motion Picture

This paragraph will quite likely turn me into a pariah in STO, but I'm being honest about it: I've seen some of ST2: The Wrath of Khan and, with apologies to the late Ricardo Montalban and his excellent acting ability (I've seen him in other movies and as Mr. Roark in "Fantasy Island"), the character Khan himself is what I didn't like about the movie (I didn't like Khan in "Space Seed" in ST:TOS either).

Saw some of "Generations" and it was okay. Ditto for "Nemesis". ST5: The Final Frontier was bad. Saw bits of ST: Into Darkness and (despite it having Benedict Cumberbatch as the bad guy) it didn't make me want to watch all of it. Haven't seen ST: Insurrection at all, as far as I can recall.
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited May 2014

Yeah, **** you too. Liking two films doesn't automatically wipe out my childhood, *****.