test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Make bridge space battles happen

dahminusdahminus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
In a "mini-gamesque" style. Does not work with others. Think of it as a more advanced dilithium mining minigame.

You click "your needed on the bridge" and it begins.

All your bridge officers/duty officer assignment crew are on the bridge with ya.

"Hits" from enemy vessel shake the screen and a torpedo at low shields could blow up a console thus losing something important.

You have access to a screen that branches to different options to have your officer do specific tasks.

You win, you get dilithium and some loot. You lose...try again in 30 mins.

Thoughts?
Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
Post edited by dahminus on

Comments

• Options
    catliketypingcatliketyping Member Posts: 611
    edited May 2014
    The primary issue is that what we play is a simulationist experience. Sitting around on a bridge, waiting for things to happen in real time rather than the speed of plot... this is not a fun experience, IMO.

Yes, I would like a dramatic/cinematic bridge experience, but it would be a radically different game. And, no, lucking out on a RNG is not my idea of a fun dramatic experience. You'd have to design a different type of game experience, and not one based on "roll under 10% to get the brass ring" kind of game... but that's what we have, in this simulation-type excuse for roleplaying that we go by in the CRPG world.
    Nessia (KDF Sci)
    IKS Korrasami (Fleet B'rel Bird of Prey Retrofit T5-U)
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Needs alot more fleshing out, but it could work..
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    jslynjslyn Member Posts: 1,785 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    That might actually work: a self-contained mini-game. It would bypass much of the problems with the mmo engine.
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I already made a sound proposal months ago of how they could pull off bridge battles without drastic technology improvements.

Essentially you got a basic bridge sitting on a gimbal, similar to simulators that airliners and NASA uses. And you essentially pivot the bridge to simulate the ship turning. The rest is basic STO mechanics like explosions when they hit your ship, instead of impacting on the shields, you get damage effects on the bridge. The less the ships HPs, the more the damage effects.

Roleplayers could even use this for traveling between destinations in STO in sector space. However, you aren't really in sector space, but in reality you are stationary and the surroundings gives the impression you are moving and the distance is merely a timer. When you arrive at the true destination, you have to zone or like on hubs, the transporter room takes you directly inside the hub (i.e. no middleman zones).

And if done right, these bridges could actually be co-op bridges with player crews. Where they would be like the actors themselves, sitting on a set and acting the part. However unlike the cast, they actually have a role with the ship. Conn handles movement, Tactical the weapons, etc.

The only flaw with this system is that there is no real sector space travel and you will not run into another player ship, unless you co-op the event.

But I seriously doubt Cryptic would even go for such an idea. Especially when Star Citizens co-op ships would blow even this out of the water. :(
  • Options
    jslynjslyn Member Posts: 1,785 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Yeah, I suggested back in the first year just doing a zoom in to a first-person view and applying an overlay that looks like the bridge. The engine would be same, just with a graphical difference. They chose not to do so.
  • Options
    szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,724 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I think it would be a bit redundant in a combat situation when we already have a superior system in place.

That said, I would like to see some more interaction on the ship interior. Using a science terminal to do deep space scanning for a new exploration system(think: EVE Online's site/wormhole triangulation system), or using ops to strategically coordinate ships under your command(put those other ships you own to use), or use the main screen for a negotiation minigame with alien species(perhaps getting to unlock special racial crafting recipes or bridge officer candidates), as a couple examples.

Otherwise, with a bit of effort, the Foundry could be used to rig up a.. simulation.. of the bridge commanding experience.
  • Options
    jockey1979jockey1979 Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Oh look, a dead horse.....

must flog the dead horse....

After all, why bother with 4 years worth of forum posts asking for, and being told why - this will not happen.... when you can just keep asking for it.... over, and over, and over....

:(
  • Options
    kamenriderzero1kamenriderzero1 Member Posts: 906 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Seriously, go play Bridge Commander.

It's not so much about "can it work" as much as it's "why should we?" The Dev's know how they want you to play their game. They want you to pilot the ship, because the ship is part of you. A "gestalt avatar".

Bridge has forward view only. Third person space gives me 360 degrees.
    Everywhere I look, people are screaming about how bad Cryptic is.
    What's my position?
    That people should know what they're screaming about!
    (paraphrased from "The Newsroom)
  • Options
    aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I still can't understand why anyone would want to try and inject a terminal dose of "boooor-ing!" into an otherwise fun space battle to begin with. "No no no, don't show me any fun parts, I want to sit staring at a screen and pretend my character on that screen is sitting staring at a screen..."

Just...blech. Get someone else to make this bore-fest for you, and leave our STO alone already.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I still can't understand why anyone would want to try and inject a terminal dose of "boooor-ing!" into an otherwise fun space battle to begin with. "No no no, don't show me any fun parts, I want to sit staring at a screen and pretend my character on that screen is sitting staring at a screen..."

Just...blech. Get someone else to make this bore-fest for you, and leave our STO alone already.

Oh, i think the idea has merit, but not in a space sim context.

If you look at the shows and the drama on the bridge, the best parts arent about Kirk or Picard steering the ship for 60 seconds to do 5 seconds of drama. The problem with a bridge sim is the sim, and not moving a ship at the speed of plot.

To do "Trek bridge" right, it wouldnt be a number crunching sim exercise... even if people think that is what they want. (i e why my galerxy turn so slow it should be fasters thn a brel!)
    Nessia (KDF Sci)
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Seriously, go play Bridge Commander.

It's not so much about "can it work" as much as it's "why should we?" The Dev's know how they want you to play their game. They want you to pilot the ship, because the ship is part of you. A "gestalt avatar".

Bridge has forward view only. Third person space gives me 360 degrees.

Last I checked, this is an MMO and ever think people actually might want to play together as an actual crew of a starship and do things together like explore and <gasp> battle?

That's why many Star Trek fans are looking at Star Citizen, because its offering things that people been wanting in STO since before Beta. Which is sad that there is more Star Trek in a non-Star Trek title than an MMO that has the Star Trek title.
  • Options
    altechachanaltechachan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Last I checked, this is an MMO and ever think people actually might want to play together as an actual crew of a starship and do things together like explore and <gasp> battle?

That's why many Star Trek fans are looking at Star Citizen, because its offering things that people been wanting in STO since before Beta. Which is sad that there is more Star Trek in a non-Star Trek title than an MMO that has the Star Trek title.

I'm not following Star Citizen but does it allow multiple players to assume crew positions on the same ship?

I feel like if you want to do that, you should set up an Artemis game.

As for the OP, I dunno about it being a mini-game. I think the reason people want to do combat from the bridge is so that they can do FEs, STFs, and other queued events that way.

Which unfortunately, we'll have to go back to games like Bridge Commander or Starfleet Academy for.
    Member since November 2009... I think.
    (UFP) Ragnar
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Well then those people should go find another game to play because that is not what this game is designed to do. You might as well be saying I want to drive a Porche and use an Uzi in WoW.
    Star Citizen cannot come soon enough. I cannot wait to see the STO forums abandoned - at least for a couple of months until SC ends up not being what all those players thought it should be. But at least it will be a peaceful couple of months on this forum. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I'm not following Star Citizen but does it allow multiple players to assume crew positions on the same ship?
    Yeah, they have a couple of ships that need a crew of people to operate them - or you can use AI crew if you cannot find others to play with you and be willing to take your orders.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited May 2014

there is a really fun game out there called artemis. Probably exactly what you are looking for. Unfortunately they got no Trek license,yet.

I think the ship for introducing yet another game mode has sailed, even if it was doable.
    But i see an option for the bridge to become the place where interstelar movement takes place...as it is now the sector space.

basically i'm all for azurianstar's proposal:
    Roleplayers could even use this for traveling between destinations in STO in sector space. However, you aren't really in sector space, but in reality you are stationary and the surroundings gives the impression you are moving and the distance is merely a timer. When you arrive at the true destination, you have to zone or like on hubs, the transporter room takes you directly inside the hub (i.e. no middleman zones).

if i understand it correctly, i had a similar idea in another thread i created less than a month ago.

from ESD, or earth orbit, you beam onto your bridge. You open a map with a "list" of destinations (graficaly aranged in a galaxy map)
    you select a destination...say vulcan...and "engage at max warp". A timer starts saying that you are estimated to arrive at vulcan in 3 minutes.
    Now you are free to walk around your ship...doing doff missions or other stuff (crafting! should it ever make any sense again)
    3 minutes have passed...you are now in orbit over vulcan and if you select leave bridge you will be put into orbit over vulcan or even beam directly onto the surface.

i think this actually is within the engines capabilities, since the bridge basically functions the same way sector space functions now...as a "room" that has "doors" to many other "rooms"
    and in a way the transwarp function in place now is the exact same thing.
    more alike actually is the fleet base...it also offers passage to other destinations simply by selecting it out of a list.
    Go pro or go home
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    Star Citizen cannot come soon enough. I cannot wait to see the STO forums abandoned - at least for a couple of months until SC ends up not being what all those players thought it should be. But at least it will be a peaceful couple of months on this forum. :)

I'm actually concerned that this would inevitably happen. While my brief google search about Star Citizen seems to indicate it to be an "interesting" game at least, I'm not sure if it will deliver everything that is being lauded about it. I'm sure people will play it and have fun with it but I can't help but be... skeptical?

Anyway, back on topic. To elaborate on my earlier post, I think the mini-game approach to bridge combat would be "not enough" for the players who want bridge combat and "not interesting" enough to those who are neutral about it.
    (UFP) Ragnar
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Yeah, they have a couple of ships that need a crew of people to operate them - or you can use AI crew if you cannot find others to play with you and be willing to take your orders.

Oh ye gods, the montage of carnage and self-destruction playing in my mind right now...
    (UFP) Ragnar
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Ah so it's this time of the month again.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Anyway, back on topic. To elaborate on my earlier post, I think the mini-game approach to bridge combat would be "not enough" for the players who want bridge combat and "not interesting" enough to those who are neutral about it.
    I think it is going to end up being like a Diplomancy First Contact Mission: a one-trick pony that is interesting the first time you do it and incredibly boring the third. :)
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I think it is going to end up being like a Diplomancy First Contact Mission: a one-trick pony that is interesting the first time you do it and incredibly boring the third. :)

... yeah, just like the Dilithium Asteroid mining missions...
    (UFP) Ragnar
  • Options
    edited May 2014

Very much so, from simple craft of a few people to a large starship with lots of players.
    Well then those people should go find another game to play because that is not what this game is designed to do. You might as well be saying I want to drive a Porche and use an Uzi in WoW.

Now, now, that comes off like an excuse.

Yes, they made it clear that STO's engine cannot handle the ability for players to be at the bridge and outside at the same time, but doesn't mean we can't have bridge battles altogether. That's why the potential is strong of a new type of gameplay that's not space nor ground, but essentially playing Star Trek more from the roleplayer's perspective.

And I think that has potential that could bring back people to STO. All they have to do is to make a testbed in the next Featured episode.

Eh you'll get bored from the silence. :P
    baudl wrote: »
    there is a really fun game out there called artemis. Probably exactly what you are looking for. Unfortunately they got no Trek license,yet.

You misunderstood me, I'm not looking. Just giving suggestions of how Cryptic could pull it off in STO with what they got now.

Something different and fun.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    You misunderstood me, I'm not looking. Just giving suggestions of how Cryptic could pull it off in STO with what they got now.

Something different and fun.

Suggestions are fine but we (more like Cryptic) would have to solve some of the technical issues first. I found the below quote from TacoFangs:
    tacofangs wrote: »
    I've definitely gone over this plenty of times in the past, but my search-fu seems to be weak today.

Note that I don't think I've ever used the word 'impossible.' It's all code, nothing is impossible given enough time, money, and manpower.

However, what I have said in the past, and will repeat now, is that our game, as it stands today, is not set up for this at all. It's not an engine limitation per se, and it's not because our engine is old. It's because it's not how the game was designed. Again, possible, but not probable.

The problem, as stated by others, is that your "character" is both a ship, and a captain, simultaneously. When you are in space, you are drawn as a ship. When you are on the ground, you are drawn as a person. So, when you are in sector space (as a ship) and go to your bridge (as a person), your ship ceases to exist in sector space. You are no longer there. You are ONLY on your bridge. When you leave your bridge, and go back to sector space, you become a ship again, and your captain (and the bridge) cease to exist.

So, there is no easy way to track you through sector space while you are actually on another map. Again, this is likely possible, but is not set up, and would require significant coding.

To my (non-programmer) mind, the best alternative is the count-down method others have mentioned. Instead of "flying" your ship from the bridge, you go to your helm officer, tell him which system to go to, and a timer counts down however long it takes to get there. During the countdown you can meander around your interior, doing whatever captainy things captains do. When the timer is up, your helm officer informs you that you have arrived, and you can load that map.

The problem with the above is what happens when you leave your bridge part way through the count down. If you leave at the start, you go back to where ever you left to get to your bridge. If you leave at the end, you go to your destination. If you leave in the middle, where do you go? Remember, there is nothing tracking you through sector space, so we have no functional idea where your "ship" is right now. Instead, we just know that you're 50% done with the countdown. So, we can't drop you in the right spot in sector space, do we dump you back at the start? We can't let you cheat by going to the end point. . .

Another issue is how to determine the timing. I guess we could manually fly from every planet to every other planet to get a baseline, but that's annoying. IMO I think this idea best works with a unified sector space, so that there is no map loading between sectors. Timing things in that mode would be a much simpler task, as we could just determine distances between them. A unified sector space would also make it easier to drop you in an appropriate spot if you were to leave your bridge part way through your journey. It's something that has been tossed about, but I haven't heard anything concrete about that in a while.

In addition, I wouldn't really want to do this unless we did some major bridge refresh as well. I think we have a lot of terrible bridges in the game. I also think it would be cool if your viewscreen could reflect the system you are at, but that would be more tech, and wouldn't really work until the above bits happened. They're all nice ideas, and I think everyone on the team would love to see it, but there is a LOT of work involved, and a lot of edge cases that can break things horribly. It's not a trivial undertaking.

Keep in mind, the above suggestion would only be for travel, not fighting anything. That would be an even bigger can of worms to wrestle with.

The monitor overlay idea has been raised a number of times before, but imo it would just feel chintzy. We couldn't do a full 3d bridge overlay, it would just be a texture. Basically cutting a viewscreen out of cardboard and pasting it onto your monitor. I don't think anyone would be satisfied by that.
    (UFP) Ragnar
  • Options
    jockey1979jockey1979 Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Last I checked, this is an MMO and ever think people actually might want to play together as an actual crew of a starship and do things together like explore and <gasp> battle?.

http://www.artemis.eochu.com/

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=artemis+spaceship+bridge+simulator

I have this on Steam, the Steam group is http://steamcommunity.com/app/247350

For those who keep asking for a space ship game you do with friends, from the bridge.......

FOLLOW THE ABOVE LINKS FOR A CURRENT GAME THAT DOES WHAT YOU WANT.
  • Options
    aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited May 2014

"People" as in some, yes. As in anywhere near enough to support an online F2P game, thus making it viable? No, not really.

Look how hard it is to fill cooperative PvE queues, then consider if you can make queuing to be "the guy who pushes the torpedo button" fun enough, more than once, to be worth what you'll expend on resources building it. I don't see it happening in a F2P MMO myself. That's more the kind of niche thing that has to be P2P subscriptions on top of a $60 boxed client for the limited audience that'll stick with it to fund it well enough to stand a chance of surviving.

At least that's how it looks to me, I could always be wrong- got used to that a long time ago. :D
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I don't think that a full starship simulator will find success beyond niche audiences.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I don't think that a full starship simulator will find success beyond niche audiences.

And simulation is why it would never work. Most of what happens on a ship is boring routine, made even more mind-numbing through drill and discipline.

I dont want to fiddle a nob that boosts your ship speed by 0.5% and i really dont want holodeck janitorial duty.

Moving at the speed of plot is way different than bridge sim.
    Nessia (KDF Sci)
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    And simulation is why it would never work. Most of what happens on a ship is boring routine, made even more mind-numbing through drill and discipline.

I dont want to fiddle a nob that boosts your ship speed by 0.5% and i really dont want holodeck janitorial duty.

Moving at the speed of plot is way different than bridge sim.

Huh. I just realized I can get the whole Chief O'Brien experience from TNG by having my character wear the TNG uniform, go to my ship interior's engineering deck, and then stand at the transport console with my DOff window open. For several hours.
    (UFP) Ragnar
  • Options
    kamenriderzero1kamenriderzero1 Member Posts: 906 Arc User
    edited May 2014

Actually, everyone I know does NOT want what you suggest. We are all very happy with our current set up.
    Everywhere I look, people are screaming about how bad Cryptic is.
    What's my position?
    That people should know what they're screaming about!
    (paraphrased from "The Newsroom)
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Huh. I just realized I can get the whole Chief O'Brien experience from TNG by having my character wear the TNG uniform, go to my ship interior's engineering deck, and then stand at the transport console with my DOff window open. For several hours.

People say they like a sim because they assume that is all there is. There are other game design choices, though. What many of us really want is a game that presents us with moral, ethical, personal choices (all in conflict) along with the consequences of choice. We are good at physical spaces and landscapes, but not so good at the psychological & emotional inner space of Trek.

If a game could take the inner part of sitting in the Captain's chair and make it work, that would be great...but most of us are locked in the world where 0.5% bonuses to tribble flinging matter most to game development. Physical landscapes are the highlight of development, and will be for some time. We like to consider what we fight, not what we fight for (which is mostly assumed... that we will go along with the Tovan/Kurland/etc narrative. That Shon's drama can stand in for our own).
    Nessia (KDF Sci)
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    We are good at physical spaces and landscapes, but not so good at the psychological & emotional inner space of Trek.

I like what you wrote here and I think underlines what makes a Trek game, nevertheless a MMORPG, a difficult undertaking.
    (UFP) Ragnar