test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What is your beef with the Tacofangs, Cryptic?

worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
I AM DISAPPOINT!!!

Not only has Tacofangs been denied his rightful place as lead dev, I have heard that there are currently no plans for a Dominion faction that would give him the chance to work more of his magic on Gamma Quadrant planets!

WHY IS TACOFANGS NOT LEAD DEV YET, CRYPTIC?????

His work and that of his team is better than the whole rest of the game put together (well, minus Tuvok and the Scimitar line, those would put "everything else" slightly over the top). When the Dyson Sphere space zones opened, I spent over an hour just flying around, not even doing the missions, just flying around and enjoying the sights.

When Step Between Stars aired, it took me two hours to complete, because I kept flying in circles in the spacewalk scene just to see the entire map Over. And. Over.

Every time I replay Step Between Stars, I invariably get distracted by the map and get killed by the Undine because I'm just rotating the view to see the entire Jenolan sphere map.

I actually took my hands off the keyboard and leaned back in my chair in awe at multiple points during "Surface Tension" due to the incredible art alone.

I have become somewhat accustomed now to just wandering around New ESD, exploring the whole place; not interacting with the various NPCs or anything, just wandering in awe.

In light of this, it is my sincere belief that Tacofangs should be lead dev, should have his salary at least doubled, and should be given promotions for his entire team.

I, for one, welcome our new Taconian overlord.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• stoutesstoutes Member Posts: 4,219 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    And his lunch should be served including Bacon.

Amen.
    maxvitor wrote: »
    Nerf is OP, plz nerf
    That's quite the paradox, how could you nerf nerf when the nerf is nerfed. But how would the nerf be nerfed when the nerf is nerfed? This allows the nerf not to be nerfed since the nerf is nerfed? But if the nerf isn't nerfed, it could still nerf nerfs. But as soon as the nerf is nerfed, the nerf power is lost. So paradoxally it the nerf nerf lost its nerf, while it's still nerfed, which cannot be because the nerf was unable to nerf.

I call it, the Stoutes paradox.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,462 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    This is one of the rare occasions where i cannot determine with any degree of certainty just how much sarcasm is involved.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I assume this is semi serious but to answer the question anyway, he is not lead dev probably because he's an artist and that being his field of expertise. He makes things look pretty over being an actual content/systems designer with a much broader perspective of game mechanics and number crunching (both financial and in game).
  • johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    worffan101 wrote: »
    I have heard that there are currently no plans for a Dominion faction that would give him the chance to work more of his magic on Gamma Quadrant planets!

Insider info huh?

Also, I suspect the key word in that is "currently". Given that "currently" they're focusing on the Delta Quadrant and Voyager-related content because that's what "we" asked for.

It'll happen, eventually. It's logical.
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    A Dominion faction?? loooool, we still have funny guys in these forums :P:D
  • worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    questerius wrote: »
    This is one of the rare occasions where i cannot determine with any degree of certainty just how much sarcasm is involved.
    I assume this is semi serious but to answer the question anyway, he is not lead dev probably because he's an artist and that being his field of expertise. He makes things look pretty over being an actual content/systems designer with a much broader perspective of game mechanics and number crunching (both financial and in game).
    I assure you that I am about 80% serious here. If I'd included the bit that I was considering writing about Tacofangs deserving 300 Swedish swimsuit models to wait on his every whim, I'd have been about 60% hyperbole.
    johngazman wrote: »
    Insider info huh?

Also, I suspect the key word in that is "currently". Given that "currently" they're focusing on the Delta Quadrant and Voyager-related content because that's what "we" asked for.

It'll happen, eventually. It's logical.

Gecko has said a couple of times that there are no plans right now for a Dominion faction; can't remember where or when OTTOMH. However, they said the same thing before LoR...

And yeah, it WILL happen eventually. Because there is a sizeable Dominion fanbase. But as to when...

Who knows? :(
  • emarosa26emarosa26 Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    The Dominion is so much cooler visually than any Delta Quadrant bad guys...
    edited May 2014
    Gecko has said a couple of times that there are no plans right now for a Dominion faction; can't remember where or when OTTOMH. However, they said the same thing before LoR...

And yeah, it WILL happen eventually. Because there is a sizeable Dominion fanbase. But as to when...

Who knows? :(

Oh yeah, I recall seeing that. As you said though, they played that card before LoR, and we all know how successful LoR was for them.

As for who knows; D'Angelo.
  • ejsphcrispejsphcrisp Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    If it is true that "bad guys" are not allowed, then a Gamma Quad story arc would be a great way to introduce the Cardassias into the game;

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=16853231&posted=1#post16853231
    edited May 2014
    Oh yeah, I recall seeing that. As you said though, they played that card before LoR, and we all know how successful LoR was for them.

As for who knows; D'Angelo.

Yeah, if they spring a Dominion expansion on us for Expansion 2.0, I'm going to lose it with happiness.

If they wait to confirm until maybe 1 month before it hits the holodeck...

They're looking at another LoR. And that's a MASSIVE money-maker. Only big problem would be the ship thing (bugships, JHDCs, JHHECs...).
    edited May 2014
    Yeah, if they spring a Dominion expansion on us for Expansion 2.0, I'm going to lose it with happiness.

They're looking at another LoR. And that's a MASSIVE money-maker. Only big problem would be the ship thing (bugships, JHDCs, JHHECs...).

Hence why i'm not convinced that Expansion 2 will be the Dominion/Cardassia. On top of the fact that they're committed to Voyager stuff, there's a ton of kinks to iron out in terms of ships, species, a new social zone etc.

I'm not sure what to expect from Expansion 2. They've done pretty well keeping it under wraps, given that the Summer stuff has been leaked way before it's announcement for this year.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I think he can't be lead dev because he's an artist, not a dev.

Dominon as faction may get into some trouble because the iconic Dominion vessels are all lock box (or lobi?) ships, so would Dominion faction players get these ships not at all, would need to buy master keys for lockbox opening and lobi, or would they get them for a much cheaper price than people on other factions?

I suppose it's not unsurmountable - maybe the Dominon faction would indeed get these ships like regular ships, and this would create a precedent for "cross-faction" lockbox ships. If we can refit Undine Bioships for flight with Starfleet or Klingon crews, capturing a Romulan Warbird and having it playable as a Klingon shouldn't be that hard.

That could be an interesting can of worms to open.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I dont think expansion 2 makes much sense with a faction. it splits the playerbase and future content further and does not overly advance the story. it also flies in the face of what has already been said. it also causes no end of problems regarding the number of dominon ships already available.

i suspect there will be another faction eventually but im not sure it really helps the game. i think the only reason people want them is because they are iconic groups rather than anyone really thinking the game needs another faction. 3 is plenty.
  • revandarklighterrevandarklighter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014

If this "being ones field of expertise" would be requirement to be a lead dev not Geko and even less D'Angelo would be lead devs.
    Because both lack any remote competence here...
    edited May 2014
    capturing a Romulan Warbird and having it playable as a Klingon shouldn't be that hard.

That could be an interesting can of worms to open.

Just no.

There are lines that shouldn't be crossed. The lockbox ships are a kink to be ironed out, but just opening up KDF ships to Fed, Fed ships to KDF and Rom ships to non-Roms is a can of worms we really don't want to open.
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited May 2014

They have already stated the new Expansion Pack will not have a new Micro-Faction. They have also indicated it will take place in the Delta Quadrant - thus the Poll late last year, right before they started development on the new EP, as to which Voyager races we would like to see in Content.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,149 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Well after I returned from taking a bold expedition into the foundry, I found such outfits labeled as "Cardassian - Jacket" and Cardassian 24rd century vest (can't recall what the latter one was)....

So... either we have some epic outfits coming, the cardassian npcs are getting an update, a spoon head faction is coming, or I'm lying ???

:P
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Just no.

There are lines that shouldn't be crossed. The lockbox ships are a kink to be ironed out, but just opening up KDF ships to Fed, Fed ships to KDF and Rom ships to non-Roms is a can of worms we really don't want to open.

Yeah, I think so, too. AS Starfleet officers, we should never fly anything but Starfleet ships except for special missions, everything else is send to R&D.

I am afraid we already are way past that line, so far past in fact, that it's only visible as a tiny point.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    edited May 2014
    Yeah, I think so, too. AS Starfleet officers, we should never fly anything but Starfleet ships except for special missions, everything else is send to R&R.

I am afraid we already are way past that line, so far past in fact, that it's only visible as a tiny point.

Not really. I'm not arguing it from an RP standpoint, but from a game-balance and faction-balance standpoint. Just opening up all ships to all factions basically abolishes the idea of factions and everyone may as well play as Fed. Which is bad, both from a balance perspective and an in-story/lore perspective.

The Cardassian and Jem'Hadar ships are the kink because they were put into lockboxes back in the days when a Romulan faction probably wasn't a big possibility. Hence, with the success of LoR and the potential success from "Legacy Of Cardassia", the kink comes from the fact that you can't retospectively take away Cardassian Galors or Jem'Hadar HEC/DC/Attack Ships from players who already have them (or can you? :O).

So to solve this issue in order to please everyone who already owns one and make C-Store versions for any potential Dominion/Cardassian faction, i'd have said that you need to remove the Cardassian and Jem'Hadar lockboxes from circulation. If you've got a Galor/Jem'Hadar ship box, you can keep it, but after that, they'll be unavailable to non-Cardies/Dominion players. Then you make C-Store versions for the Cardie/Dominion faction.

As far as the other lockbox ships go, I do follow Cryptic's logic - there's never going to be an Undine faction, or a Tholian faction, but people will always want to fly those ships. So it still makes sense.
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Just no.

Why not? Kirk did it!

...no seriously, why not?
    edited May 2014
    orangeitis wrote: »
    Why not? Kirk did it!

What Kirk did was basically the same thing Fed players do in The Doomsday Device mission: use a BoP for a single story. Kirk was not permanently assigned that BoP at the end of The Voyage Home. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
    edited May 2014
    orangeitis wrote: »
    Why not? Kirk did it!

Kirk gave it back once his job was done.

I don't see anyone with a Nicor giving it back after they finish their first STF with it.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I AM DISAPPOINT!!!

Not only has Tacofangs been denied his rightful place as lead dev, I have heard that there are currently no plans for a Dominion faction that would give him the chance to work more of his magic on Gamma Quadrant planets!

His work and that of his team is better than the whole rest of the game put together (well, minus Tuvok and the Scimitar line, those would put "everything else" slightly over the top). When the Dyson Sphere space zones opened, I spent over an hour just flying around, not even doing the missions, just flying around and enjoying the sights.

When Step Between Stars aired, it took me two hours to complete, because I kept flying in circles in the spacewalk scene just to see the entire map Over. And. Over.

Every time I replay Step Between Stars, I invariably get distracted by the map and get killed by the Undine because I'm just rotating the view to see the entire Jenolan sphere map.

I actually took my hands off the keyboard and leaned back in my chair in awe at multiple points during "Surface Tension" due to the incredible art alone.

I have become somewhat accustomed now to just wandering around New ESD, exploring the whole place; not interacting with the various NPCs or anything, just wandering in awe.

In light of this, it is my sincere belief that Tacofangs should be lead dev, should have his salary at least doubled, and should be given promotions for his entire team.

Isnt Geko the one in charge of the devs? and D'Angelo the one who has first and last say on what goes on? clearly a lot of different devs, coldsnapped runs tribble lead from the looks of it, a bit too serious, but clearly honest and wants to show it on a deadline, but then you have taco who appears the make the main content for the players i would imagine, judging by the insistence on trying to come with with an idea of club 47 before realizing we dont have anything good enough to help him with? (not sure on that, taco has never replied to anything i stated directly before and im not a telepath). you got geko running around, all i know of our elusive dev is that he pops in with some information and an opinion about what is coming and such, all fine but nothing more then that from what little i have seen.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • royalsovereignroyalsovereign Member Posts: 1,344 Arc User
    edited May 2014

His work and that of his team is better than the whole rest of the game put together... When the Dyson Sphere space zones opened, I spent over an hour just flying around, not even doing the missions, just flying around and enjoying the sights.
    Ah, so now I know *WHO* to blame for being completely unable to play in the new areas. Tacofangs, you and your swirling red-and-yellow boxes of graphics-card-killing death haze must die!!!!!eleven!!
    "You Iconians just hung a vacancy sign on your asses and my foot's looking for a room!"
    --Red Annorax
    edited May 2014
    Isnt Geko the one in charge of the devs? and D'Angelo the one who has first and last say on what goes on?
    No. Each division of STO has its own lead. Geko is Design Lead. Someone else is the Art Lead, and so on. All the Leads answer to D'Angelo.

Edit: I had to go look it up. Jeremy Mattson is the Art Lead and Scott Shicoff is Content Lead.
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited May 2014
    Uh. . . what?

1) I am, essentially, a public figure. And as such, much of the work that gets attributed to me is not my work. We have a lot of artists, and a lot of other devs that are all incredibly talented. There are 5 other Environment Artists on STO alone. They do amazing work, and I often get credit thrown at me, despite my lack of involvement.* Much of the reason we've done such good work lately is that we're being supported better from above. ESD wouldn't be what it is without the Env team being given the time to do it right.

2) There is no "Lead Dev." We have an Executive Producer (currently Stephen D), who is the lead of the project. But, as the title implies, that's a production job. I am an artist. Within Art, we have a Lead Artist, that oversees the various subcategories of Art.

3) I have no desire to be Lead anything. Leads don't make art, they go to meetings, deal with schedules, and fight fires that pop up. That doesn't sound like much fun to me.

Let's clarify some terms:
    • Dev = Developer. Anyone that works on the development of the game. The entire STO team at Cryptic are Devs. Branflakes (as well as Smirk and Trendy) who work on STO, but are in PR/Community Management/etc. are not devs.
    • Artist = Someone who works on the Art of the game. This includes Environment Art (maps), Character Art (Costumes/NPCs), Animation, Concept Art, FX,
    • Designer = Someone who works on the design of the game. Within Design there are two major camps. Content Design, people who work on missions (Story, NPCs, Game Flow, etc.) and Systems Design, people who work on the numbers of the game (Powers/Weapons/Balance/etc.)
    • Programmer = When the average person thinks about Software/game creation, programmers are what they think of. Programmers write the underlying code that keeps our engine running. They are the code masters. If there is an issue with code, they will fix it. If there is something new we want to do, but don't have the tools for, they will make that.
    • Producer = Producers manage everyone else, and ensure that people stay on schedule. They are the connective tissue between departments, and often help sort out issues that span across those various factions. Generally, Producers have some division of the development team assigned to their care.
    • Lead = There is usually one lead per department (A Lead Artist, A Lead Content Designer, A Lead Systems Designer). These people manage their own department, help to shape the direction of the game that their department touches. They ensure that their department's work matches that of the other departments. They are often who we underlings defer to when we have questions, or aren't sure what direction to go in.
    • EP = The Executive Producer is basically the Lead's Lead. They oversee the whole project, and help to maintain a cohesive game. They are still part of production, and might help to shape schedules. They work with the leads to figure out where the game is going, and how to get it there. They also deal much more with the business side of the game, which I know next to nothing about.

DeAngelo is the EP.
    Geko is the System Design Lead (And overall Design Lead).
    Charles Grey is the Content Design Lead.
    I don't think our Art lead has a forum presence.

I am an Environment Artist (one of 6). Above me are my Environment Lead (Swallrus), My Art Lead, and then the EP. Producers are kind of a separate track, and there are several on the team that I work with, as each tracks different parts of the game.

Jeremy Mattson and Scott Schicoff are no longer on STO.

Anyone, from any department can potentially be an Executive Producer. In general, at Cryptic, most of our EPs have either come from Production or from Design. But that doesn't mean an Artist couldn't be. However, I think most artists are artists because they like making art. Producing holds little interest to most artists I know.

* Not my work
    A Step Between Stars's Environment was done by Jeff Miller.
    Surface Tension was mostly done by Peter Richmond
    Dyson Sphere was a collaborative work between myself and our Lead Environment Artist, Samuel Wall.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I AM DISAPPOINT!!!

Think part of the problem is that he's Tacofangs and not Taco Grande.

He needs to supersize. ;)
    edited May 2014
    tacofangs wrote: »
    Uh. . . what?

1) I am, essentially, a public figure. And as such, much of the work that gets attributed to me is not my work. We have a lot of artists, and a lot of other devs that are all incredibly talented. There are 5 other Environment Artists on STO alone. They do amazing work, and I often get credit thrown at me, despite my lack of involvement.* Much of the reason we've done such good work lately is that we're being supported better from above. ESD wouldn't be what it is without the Env team being given the time to do it right.

2) There is no "Lead Dev." We have an Executive Producer (currently Stephen D), who is the lead of the project. But, as the title implies, that's a production job. I am an artist. Within Art, we have a Lead Artist, that oversees the various subcategories of Art.

3) I have no desire to be Lead anything. Leads don't make art, they go to meetings, deal with schedules, and fight fires that pop up. That doesn't sound like much fun to me.

• Dev = Developer. Anyone that works on the development of the game. The entire STO team at Cryptic are Devs. Branflakes (as well as Smirk and Trendy) who work on STO, but are in PR/Community Management/etc. are not devs.
    • Artist = Someone who works on the Art of the game. This includes Environment Art (maps), Character Art (Costumes/NPCs), Animation, Concept Art, FX,
    • Designer = Someone who works on the design of the game. Within Design there are two major camps. Content Design, people who work on missions (Story, NPCs, Game Flow, etc.) and Systems Design, people who work on the numbers of the game (Powers/Weapons/Balance/etc.)
    • Programmer = When the average person thinks about Software/game creation, programmers are what they think of. Programmers write the underlying code that keeps our engine running. They are the code masters. If there is an issue with code, they will fix it. If there is something new we want to do, but don't have the tools for, they will make that.
    • Producer = Producers manage everyone else, and ensure that people stay on schedule. They are the connective tissue between departments, and often help sort out issues that span across those various factions. Generally, Producers have some division of the development team assigned to their care.
    • Lead = There is usually one lead per department (A Lead Artist, A Lead Content Designer, A Lead Systems Designer). These people manage their own department, help to shape the direction of the game that their department touches. They ensure that their department's work matches that of the other departments. They are often who we underlings defer to when we have questions, or aren't sure what direction to go in.
    • EP = The Executive Producer is basically the Lead's Lead. They oversee the whole project, and help to maintain a cohesive game. They are still part of production, and might help to shape schedules. They work with the leads to figure out where the game is going, and how to get it there. They also deal much more with the business side of the game, which I know next to nothing about.

DeAngelo is the EP.

I am an Environment Artist (one of 6). Above me are my Environment Lead (Swallrus), My Art Lead, and then the EP. Producers are kind of a separate track, and there are several on the team that I work with, as each tracks different parts of the game.

Anyone, from any department can potentially be an Executive Producer. In general, at Cryptic, most of our EPs have either come from Production or from Design. But that doesn't mean an Artist couldn't be. However, I think most artists are artists because they like making art. Producing holds little interest to most artists I know.
    All that aside, you and your team all deserve promotions and hefty raises.
    * Not my work
    Dyson Sphere was a collaborative work between myself and our Lead Environment Artist, Samuel Wall.

Well. Looks like Grand Vizier Worffan101 needs to send pleasure palaces and oversized spaceships and armies of minions and concubines to Mr. Miller, Mr. Richmond, and Mr. Wall. And if you would be so kind as to pass on my personal congratulations to all three of these excellent artists, I would be extremely happy.

Also, you are awesome. New ESD is a complete triumph. It is to your work as Mahler 9 is to Mahler's work; the greatest creation of an incredible genius.
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Uh. . . what?

DeAngelo is the EP.

* Not my work

I'll try to re-phrase the OP, then.

You and the rest of the Environment team should get Stephen D'Angelo's payrate while keeping your job. :D

Lateral thinking ftw.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
    edited May 2014
    iconians wrote: »
    I'll try to re-phrase the OP, then.

You and the rest of the Environment team should get Stephen D'Angelo's payrate while keeping your job. :D

Lateral thinking ftw.

+1 Iconians!

Every member of the environment team should get a pay raise, three weeks of paid vacation in addition to whatever they already have, and a beachfront house in Tahiti.

And only one of the above is intentional hyperbole.