test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Garrett Wang to reprise role as Harry Kim in August?

monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
I was looking at the upcoming content on the STOwiki site and saw this http://sto.gamepedia.com/Upcoming_content#Expansion_II_.28late_2014.29
Another Voyager-related voice talent in addition to Tim Russ, possibly Garrett Wang as Harry Kim [10]

Garrett Wang confirmed to return in August
And clicked the annotation to go here https://twitter.com/GarrettRWang/status/456900243158605824

I wonder if Harry Kim will finally be promoted past Ensign lol. I didn't really get into Star Trek Voyager until reruns of later seasons. It kinda ticked me off that after 7 years lost in the Delta Quadrant, Harry Kim was still an Ensign in the final episode. Heck, Tom Paris got demoted in an episode because he disobeyed orders. Don't know if Harry ever did anything that would prevent him from being promoted.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,737 Community Moderator
    edited May 2014
    I was looking at the upcoming content on the STOwiki site and saw this http://sto.gamepedia.com/Upcoming_content#Expansion_II_.28late_2014.29 And clicked the annotation to go here https://twitter.com/GarrettRWang/status/456900243158605824

I wonder if Harry Kim will finally be promoted past Ensign lol. I didn't really get into Star Trek Voyager until reruns of later seasons. It kinda ticked me off that after 7 years lost in the Delta Quadrant, Harry Kim was still an Ensign in the final episode. Heck, Tom Paris got demoted in an episode because he disobeyed orders. Don't know if Harry ever did anything that would prevent him from being promoted.

I know! And the excuse of being stranded in the Delta Quadrant doesn't fly, because Tuvok received a promotion during that time.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Damn it, I wanted Odo and Weyoun and Brunt first.

EDIT: Deleted because I wrote this while high on Red Bull and rewatching Serenity for the 80th time.

George Takei FTW!!!!!
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Cool! I look forward to seeing what he brings to the table.

He's captain of the Rhode Island in STO's timeline, so he won't be an ensign anymore. :cool:
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • emarosa26emarosa26 Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    worffan101 wrote: »

None of this Ensign Bad-Sulu-Ripoff character. Give us the ORIGINAL Asian Trek character, or none at all. George Takei FTW!!!!!
    I don't think George would approve of Star Trek Online, to be honest. He disliked DS9 for betraying Gene's original idea.
  • voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    In the latest FE, I could've sworn I head Kim when [spoiler? highlight to see]Tuvok hails Voyager.[/spoiler]
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
  • startrek1warsstartrek1wars Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Unfortunately, Captain Geko claims that they do NOT have a contract with Garrett Wang as of this time. Check out G and T Show Supplemental - Al "Captain Geko" Rivera. Obviously, he seems interested, though. :D
    Link: http://www.gandtshow.com/?p=3253
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Unfortunately, Captain Geko claims that they do NOT have a contract with Garrett Wang as of this time. Check out G and T Show Supplemental - Al "Captain Geko" Rivera. Obviously, he seems interested, though. :D
    Link: http://www.gandtshow.com/?p=3253

Well then, they're probably just hammering out the last details for that contract before it's official official.
  • emarosa26emarosa26 Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    It's not like Garrett Wang is in a position to say no to work.
  • startrek1warsstartrek1wars Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Now there's an idea. (kojirohellfire)
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    emarosa26 wrote: »
    I don't think George would approve of Star Trek Online, to be honest. He disliked DS9 for betraying Gene's original idea.

His facebook page has posted a few Star Trek Online memes. I think his involvement might call for a story that speaks to someof Star Trek's higher themes. Aand makes Sulu look good, which he cares about; many Trek actors regard their role as a job and are concentrated on the work being interesting but Takei along with Beltran, Russ, and Wang really cares about his character's prestige level, unlike say Siddig, Robinson, or even Stewart who would all probably leap at the chance to sacrifice their character's prestige or moral compass if it added drama to the story and allowed for the acting to be more passionate. I think Stewart in particular felt constrained by the character's perfectness and wanted more fast cars, blazing guns, moral ambiguity, and hot young women.

Whereas for Takei, he's comfortable with and generally wants Sulu portrayed well.

Another actor in that camp is Alan Ruck who played John Harriman. He's on record saying it was a dream to play an Enterprise Captain in Generations but that he hated that the character was a joke and would jump at the chance to play him competently. I think he knows that one book suggested Harriman got his post through nepotism and really was an incompetent and that this REALLY rankled Alan Ruck, who wants Harriman to be seen as a good captain. I think he's said he would jump to play the character again on the condition that Harriman got to be competent and that this is why he did the fan film Of Gods and Men.

I'd actually dig seeing Ruck as he's not the Enterprise Captain we'd expect.

On a similar note, you have Morgan Bateson played by Kelsey Grammer. He does an odd mix of projects, ranging from fairly low budget fare to things like The Expendables, sitcom guest appearances, and cable drama. I believe he was cast on TNG as a fan and he did several episodes of Frasier which references Trek as well as a Trek sketch for an anniversary special. Bateson would be 81 in 2410. That's roughly the age Picard was when he stepped down as Enterprise Captain, meaning Bateson could very well conceivably still be on active duty somewhere as opposed to a more ceremonial posting like McCoy and Scotty went onto.

Actually, if they couldn't get Riker as a big admiral in-game, I think Bateson is a strong choice and Grammer might be surprisingly workable, schedule permitting. He's generally a fairly hawkish guy (he's supported most modern US wars) and he likes big action movies. I think he has a similar taste for sarcastic humor like Jonathan Frakes has. He's also a real voiceover pro and has done Simpson's work.

Paul and Mira Sorvino are also huge Trekkies and I wouldn't mind checking in with Worf's brother in some fashion. I think it would be especially deft to link that in with Klingon politics since Worf's brother's child (Worf's human brother was about to be a father the last time we saw him) might have some kind of place in the Klingon House Structure, particularly playing off the chaos that the Houses were thrown into after the last FE. It might be interesting to see D'Vak and Alexander interact with their half-human cousin and I actually think Paul Sorvino would jump at the chance to give the Rozhenko arc some closure... and, honestly, that despite being a prominent actress, Mira Sorvino might be game because she is a HUGE Trekkie. (She was a lot of fun in her recurring role on Psych.)
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Well then, they're probably just hammering out the last details for that contract before it's official official.

That is what Geko's tone implies and I believe he does say that the contract is out there and he would love for Wang to sign it. Since Wang is announcing it personally, I'm guessing it's mostly down to agent negotiation.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,431 Arc User
    edited May 2014

None of this Ensign Bad-Sulu-Ripoff character. Give us the ORIGINAL Asian Trek character, or none at all. George Takei FTW!!!!!
    So you're saying there can only be one Asian in Starfleet? Since we had the Japanese-American Sulu, the Korean-born Kim is not permitted?

I guess that means O'Brien should GTFO, since we already had Scotty, and Scotland and Ireland are neighbors. And what's with all these Vulcans? Shouldn't there only be the one?
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,864 Arc User
    edited May 2014

Well that's kinda racist, just because Harry was asian means he was a ripoff of Sulu? I suppose Hoshi was nothing but a female Sulu?
    Can't have a honest conversation because of a white knight with power
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    His facebook page has posted a few Star Trek Online memes. I think his involvement might call for a story that speaks to someof Star Trek's higher themes. Aand makes Sulu look good, which he cares about; many Trek actors regard their role as a job and are concentrated on the work being interesting but Takei along with Beltran, Russ, and Wang really cares about his character's prestige level, unlike say Siddig, Robinson, or even Stewart who would all probably leap at the chance to sacrifice their character's prestige or moral compass if it added drama to the story and allowed for the acting to be more passionate. I think Stewart in particular felt constrained by the character's perfectness and wanted more fast cars, blazing guns, moral ambiguity, and hot young women.

Then Patrick Stewart must really love his role on American Dad as Deputy Bullock. It is fun to see Captain Picard act like an amoral womanizer.
    Bullock: This control room is able to calibrate force fields so strong that the holographic images projected onto them feel real to the touch.
    Richard: Oh, so it works like the holodeck?
    Bullock: The what now?
    Stan: From Star Trek.
    Bullock: Some of us spent the late 80s and early 90s getting laid, Smith.
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited May 2014

They are nothing alike, Harry never flew Voyager, or ran around shirtless.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • pacifickarma209pacifickarma209 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Give us the ORIGINAL Asian Trek character, or none at all. George Takei FTW!!!!!

Wouldn't Hoshi Sato be the "original" Asian Trek character?
  • jslynjslyn Member Posts: 1,788 Arc User
    edited May 2014

I wonder if Harry Kim will finally be promoted past Ensign lol. I didn't really get into Star Trek Voyager until reruns of later seasons. It kinda ticked me off that after 7 years lost in the Delta Quadrant, Harry Kim was still an Ensign in the final episode.

This has come up before. I assume that he will captain of the Rhode Island, since its already in the game. We just need a Hero Ship version.

And, as always, hoping for Buster Kincaid.

lianthelia wrote: »
    Well that's kinda racist, just because Harry was asian means he was a ripoff of Sulu? I suppose Hoshi was nothing but a female Sulu?

Of course not. She is the Supreme Galactic Empress.
  • dkshadow9498dkshadow9498 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Another actor in that camp is Alan Ruck who played John Harriman.

He was great in Of Gods and Men, I would't mind seeing him get a proper send-off.
    On a similar note, you have Morgan Bateson played by Kelsey Grammer.

I actually just finished reading Ship of the Line, it tells the story of Bateson, from getting stuck in the anomaly, right up to the events of First Contact. It was a pretty good story that ends up with Bateson commanding a Bozeman (though in the book it's listed as a destroyer, but in another story it is hinted that it was a sovereign), So I could totally see him in STO.
    VADM William "Darkshadow" Shadow | Join Date: Apr 2009 |
    USS Immortal NX-93608-F (Oddyssey Tactical Cruiser)
    VADM Rogueshadow IRW Kirino Kosaka (Valdore Retrofit)
    LT General Morbo IKS Karac (Bortasqu War Cruiser)
    LT General Posu IKS Saya Takagi (Chel Grett Warship)
  • coldicephoenixcoldicephoenix Member Posts: 344 Arc User
    edited May 2014

Aren't all Weyouns dead?

We still live!!!!! Hahahahahahahahaa! We live and we will conquer!!!!! Hahahahahaaha!

-Roach, when asked about Klingon extinction!
  • thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Aren't all Weyouns dead?

At least that's what the Founder said, after Garak killed Weyoun 8 ...
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited May 2014
    Takei along with Beltran, Russ, and Wang really cares about his character's prestige level, unlike say Siddig, Robinson, or even Stewart who would all probably leap at the chance to sacrifice their character's prestige or moral compass if it added drama to the story and allowed for the acting to be more passionate.

I dunno about Robinson, Garak is hard to get a handle on anyway, it would be hard to change the character in a way that he wouldn't anyway.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited May 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    So you're saying there can only be one Asian in Starfleet? Since we had the Japanese-American Sulu, the Korean-born Kim is not permitted?

I guess that means O'Brien should GTFO, since we already had Scotty, and Scotland and Ireland are neighbors. And what's with all these Vulcans? Shouldn't there only be the one?

No, I'm saying that Sulu was the best, so he should be FIRST.

Kim always felt like a bad rip-off of Sulu, and Wang has less than a tenth of George Takei's skill and NONE of his awesomeness.

George Takei FTW.
  • zipagatzipagat Member Posts: 1,204 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    To be fair to Wang, he and the other actors playing humans were apparently deliberately told to act wooden to make the aliens more "human"

Plus Kim was just written as Janeways whipping boy.
    edited May 2014
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    They are nothing alike, Harry never flew Voyager, or ran around shirtless.
    Exactly. George Takei is cooler, more interesting, better-looking, and had a better character who actually got to captain a ship and save the day in ST 6. Harry Kim sat on a bridge and occasionally got beaten up for seven years.
    Wouldn't Hoshi Sato be the "original" Asian Trek character?
    She was completely useless. Sulu was a martial artist with sword training and manly muscles. Again, I want George Takei.
    Aren't all Weyouns dead?

Not if the writers say they're not.
  • isthisscienceisthisscience Member Posts: 863 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Speaking of Weyoun, Jeffrey Combs is such a fantastic guy it would be cool to get him to voice a whole much of different, original characters in STO.
    edited May 2014
    Speaking of Weyoun, Jeffrey Combs is such a fantastic guy it would be cool to get him to voice a whole much of different, original characters in STO.

Just have him voice Shon. Shon's supposed to be related to Thy'lek Shran, right?

So bring him in, have him voice Shon, and bring in Liquidator Brunt for a "Magnificent Ferengi"-style episode.
  • jmaster29jmaster29 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    No, I'm saying that Sulu was the best, so he should be FIRST.

Kim always felt like a bad rip-off of Sulu, and Wang has less than a tenth of George Takei's skill and NONE of his awesomeness.

George Takei FTW.

Also, to be fair, one of the writers had a grudge against Wang. And Sulu would, most likely, be dead in 2410.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2014
    jmaster29 wrote: »
    Also, to be fair, one of the writers had a grudge against Wang. And Sulu would, most likely, be dead in 2410.

--Point. Wasn't Wang's fault his character was a brick. But I still want George Takei.

--Who cares? Use time travel, handwave it as his great-grandkid, or just outright bring him in as an immortal augment or something. Just get me that sexy, sexy voice in-game.
  • jmaster29jmaster29 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    --Point. Wasn't Wang's fault his character was a brick. But I still want George Takei.

--Who cares? Use time travel, handwave it as his great-grandkid, or just outright bring him in as an immortal augment or something. Just get me that sexy, sexy voice in-game.

What if we made George Takeis voice as the Fed computer voice? Shields are down, now with added Takei!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    or according to gecko, Garret Wang long his mind completely.
    Gecko mentioned twice that what garret said is incorrect.
    The only conclusion that I can reach is "They are still trying to keep it under raps" or Garret has completely lost his marbles this one time.
    Should I start posting again after all this time?