test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

My game had a severe crash

I was playing STO just now and it crashed so bad I couldn't restart it for five mins due to the game thinking it's still running when it's not.

And when it did boot back up, the launcher had the verify all the files and that took 10mins to do!

I have the best PC around with the best parts and I'm running windows 8 so we can rule out my PC being the problem.

So what in the world is going on? And if it can be fix, it fix please Cryptic.
Post edited by marcthe000001 on

Comments

• Options
    jstewart55jstewart55 Member Posts: 412 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Programs do crash occasionally.
  • Options
    spacegoatcx#8996 spacegoatcx Member Posts: 175 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I was playing STO just now and it crashed so bad I couldn't restart it for five mins due to the game thinking it's still running when it's not.

And when it did boot back up, the launcher had the verify all the files and that took 10mins to do!

I have the best PC around with the best parts and I'm running windows 8 so we can rule out my PC being the problem.

Pedo throwaway rigs fixed up with improvised thermite devices above the drive are not the "best" PC. Nor are ones bought at Walmart on sale.

Also W8 is a pretty lousy OS without tweaking it.

Anyways, those crashes do happen, as well as file verification (which can be skipped).

The 10 minutes of your life that you mourn over you chose to use timing how long until you could get back into game like a man-child, instead of say, going outside and having some fresh air, or taking the trash out, or phoning your family.

In short, if you want to find what to "fix", look in the mirror.
    FvMLllF.jpg
  • Options
    empireofsteveempireofsteve Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    edited April 2014

I doubt it is the best PC around but I am sure it is good. Also, windows 8 is TRIBBLE. As for the crash, sometimes it happens. I assume you were running Arc?
    NERF CANNONS - THEY NEED A 50% NERF
    CRUISERS NEED A 206% HULL BUFF
  • Options
    castsbugccastsbugc Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    1)it was probably still running because it was running its crash dump, which basically sends the error code and a 'mini' (like heck, its a huge blasted file) dump of information....so they can do just what you want, fix the problem

2)Stating you have a problem doesn't actually do much, since you didnt say anything like what you were doing, where you were in game, what the error that came up might be, anything that could actually help to isolate the problem

3)saying you have the best computer around doesnt mean anything because crashes will happen, and you can still do things that can cause them. That statement doesn't really help, especially since you didnt actually provide any specs to say, troubleshoot if maybe it was a graphical driver issue
  • Options
    askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    This thread was moved as it has to do with computer issues.
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• Options
    marcthe000001marcthe000001 Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I doubt it is the best PC around but I am sure it is good. Also, windows 8 is TRIBBLE. As for the crash, sometimes it happens. I assume you were running Arc?

No, I was using steam.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    lerpyderp wrote: »
    Pedo throwaway rigs fixed up with improvised thermite devices above the drive are not the "best" PC. Nor are ones bought at Walmart on sale.

Also W8 is a pretty lousy OS without tweaking it.

Anyways, those crashes do happen, as well as file verification (which can be skipped).

The 10 minutes of your life that you mourn over you chose to use timing how long until you could get back into game like a man-child, instead of say, going outside and having some fresh air, or taking the trash out, or phoning your family.

In short, if you want to find what to "fix", look in the mirror.

How dare you be so rude! I was asking if it can be fix and you reply to me by being ignorant and arrogant?

I see my family and friends more times than you can shake a stick at, so if someone needs to look in the mirror it you. And while you're at it please consider not being so rude and judgemental to people, you're more likely to make friends if you don't judge them so harshly.
  • Options
    edited April 2014

Well my computer has got a NVidia GTX Titan graphics card, A military grade motherboard, total of 700 Gigabytes of RAM, 400 Gigabyte Hard drive, a Cooler Master computer housing and around 1250watts worth of power supply.

I forgotten some other parts but you get the idea.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    askray wrote: »
    This thread was moved as it has to do with computer issues.

Well my computer has got a NVidia GTX Titan graphics card, A military grade motherboard, total of 700 Gigabytes of RAM, 400 Gigabyte Hard drive, a Cooler Master computer housing and around 1250watts worth of power supply.

I forgotten some other parts but put simply, it's very VERY unlikely to be a computer issue and I have had it built by professionals.

Please put it back in general discussion, I would like people suggest what the problem could be and give any advice to prevent the crashes from happening.
  • Options
    quintarisquintaris Member Posts: 816 Arc User
    edited April 2014

Considering Windows 8 Enterprise can only use a maximum of 512 GB of RAM, I have my doubts that you have 700 GB.
    w8xekp.jpg
  • Options
    t4anat05t4anat05 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Okay since this is like my first time on the Arc/PWE forum thing I can't make my own threads yet, so I don't know where else to put this. Every time I open the STO launcher through the Arc client, it logs me, and just suddenly crashes for no reason. It's never done that before, but just started to after season 9 was released. It specificly says:

Fatal Error: JavaScript exception: Uncaught ReferenceError: $ is not defined

What does this mean? Is it my computer or is it Cryptic or PWE or Arc? I have no idea what's going on but when I open the STO launcher just regularly without Arc or anything it either freezes and does nothing, or it says

Error 36: A file was locked that could not be open for writing. Restart in 9.

How do I unlock this file? I'm not a computer person, so I have no idea how to fix this.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    quintaris wrote: »
    Considering Windows 8 Enterprise can only use a maximum of 512 GB of RAM, I have my doubts that you have 700 GB.

It's been a while since I looked inside my computer so I might be off by a few GigaBytes.
  • Options
    fauxgreyfauxgrey Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    t4anat05 wrote: »
    Okay since this is like my first time on the Arc/PWE forum thing I can't make my own threads yet, so I don't know where else to put this. Every time I open the STO launcher through the Arc client, it logs me, and just suddenly crashes for no reason. It's never done that before, but just started to after season 9 was released. It specificly says:

Fatal Error: JavaScript exception: Uncaught ReferenceError: $ is not defined

What does this mean? Is it my computer or is it Cryptic or PWE or Arc? I have no idea what's going on but when I open the STO launcher just regularly without Arc or anything it either freezes and does nothing, or it says

Error 36: A file was locked that could not be open for writing. Restart in 9.

How do I unlock this file? I'm not a computer person, so I have no idea how to fix this.

I don't use Arc, but I can suggest to you that you update/reinstall your Java to sort out the java error -> https://www.java.com/en/download/

And run Star trek online as an administrator if you are using windows vista/7/8 - and make sure that the Star trek install folder is not set to "read only" in file properties. (right-click menu)

It also helps to have enough hard drive space, but windows usually freaks out long before you run that low.
    Only a fool seeks meaning from a bowl of oatmeal.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    fauxgrey wrote: »
    I don't use Arc, but I can suggest to you that you update/reinstall your Java to sort out the java error -> https://www.java.com/en/download/

And run Star trek online as an administrator if you are using windows vista/7/8 - and make sure that the Star trek install folder is not set to "read only" in file properties. (right-click menu)

It also helps to have enough hard drive space, but windows usually freaks out long before you run that low.

I'll give this method a go, thanks.
  • Options
    grouchyotakugrouchyotaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    fauxgrey wrote: »

Don't confuse Java (a computer binary run-time package to run Java applets) with JavaScript (which is a browser scripting language)

A JavaScript error, (besides indicating a error in the downloaded file), could indicate that the IE run-time library (which is required for STO) is missing, damaged, or in need of a Update to the current version of IE...