test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Laptop Power Surges?

For the past few days, every time ive been in game, sometimes im just standing there, chatting in the chat, other times im doing mission, my laptop disconnects from the power supply, as if a its protecting itself from a surge.

**NOTE**
This only happens when i have been in game since the season 9 patch, when i am out of game, everything is running fine

Has anyone else been having this issue?
Laptop has the following Specs:

Windows 7 ultamate
version 6.1.7061 Service pack 1 build 7601
Toshiba Satalite p755
X64 based system
Intell core i7-2630QM cpu @ 2.00GHz, 2001Mhz, 4 core, 8 logical processors
6.00 GB RAM
5.91 GB total physicl memory
2.73 GB available memory
11.8 GB total virtual memory
8.46 GB Available Memory
5.91 GB page file space

Any advice on how to fix this, or, is this a cryptic issue? ( Would really apreciate it if a DEV would see this too.....)
Post edited by bigdanwolf90 on

Comments

• Options
    aureleusaureleus Member Posts: 175 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Sounds like an issue with how the laptop manages its power settings ? Not exactly sure how STO would be able to effect the power management of a PC though, I mean if that's the case that's borderline virus related, O.O on that Note, why not try to run some anti-virus :P lolz.
  • Options
    grouchyotakugrouchyotaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    It also could be shutting down because of excessive heat inside the case caused by the graphics load... (Which is much more likely then a power supply problem...) So just how warm does your unit feel?
  • Options
    generaldisaster#4313 generaldisaster Member Posts: 373 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I have a Toshiba P500 and have seen this also at other times. I think this maybe the laptop trying to excercise the laptop battery. when it has happened and i looked at battery level, it would read anywhere from 96% to 99%. once the battery got charged up, the power light on my laptop would change from orange to white. I got the 12cell extended battery along with the largest power supply (120w?) toshiba provided with my laptop when i bought it, and haven't noticed any problems that occur when the battery light comes on whil plugged in. So I wouldn't worry about it too much.

specs for my laptop

Windows 7 Ultimate
    version 6.1.7061.17514 Service pack 1 build 7601
    Toshiba Satellite P500-ST6844
    x64 based system
    Intel Core i7-720QM @ 1.6Ghz Max clock 2.8Ghz 4 cores 8 logical processors
    8.0 Gb
    8.0 Gb Total Physical Memory
    5.0 Gb Availible Memory
    64 Gb Virtual Memory
    60.9 availible Virtual Memory
    56.2 Page File space
    Nvidia GT330M
    1Gb GDDR3
    Star Treking, across the universe. Only going forward because we can't find reverse...
  • Options
    fauxgreyfauxgrey Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I'm curious, when you say it swaps to battery, what does the little windows power icon say in the taskbar?

Does it say "plugged in, not charging" with the little plug icon, or does it just list the percentage and a battery icon only?

I know my samsung laptop has an option to stop charging at 80% capacity, so I'd look in the options of whatever OEM software/drivers are installed on the laptop as well as checking the BIOS for such an option.

Otherwise, if the AC adapter is actually turning off (is there a light on the power block itself that turns off?) I would suspect the laptop is pulling more power than the adapter can safely give out, but I'd be more worried about the battery having to give out more than an AC adapter can.

You say it was since S9 launch, I recall there being a settings reset on the S9 patch ; so I would suggest going into the graphics options of STO and turning things down a bit. I remember there being a "low CPU/GPU usage" option or something like that under "Advanced" in the game settings. I'd suggest using that, and seeing if it lowers how much power the laptop draws.
    In a last hope effort I'd suggest disabling hyper-threading in the BIOS in an effort to reduce power draw, as well as running the game on integrated graphics as the hardware in that laptop isn't exactly economical in terms of power draw.
    Only a fool seeks meaning from a bowl of oatmeal.