test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

New Wallpapers! It's 2410, Time For Some New Threads!

Comments

• Options
    cookiecrookcookiecrook Member Posts: 4,524 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    argent007 wrote: »
    it's not 1080p though, to make it work on a 1080p screen you either have to lop off some of the top and bottom, or scale it back to something that isn't 1920, and thus, have sideways letterboxing

what me and my other complaintant are saying is that they don't offer up NATIVE 720p (1280x720) or 1080p (1920x1080) versions of their wallpapers

EDIT: added in what 720p and 1080p measure out to in pixels for those less technically advanced

Also with the ROG Swift 27 inch gaming display on the horizon, you must also take into consideration 1440p displays (2560x1440) which are even HIGHER res than your average 25-27 inch display

16:9 is still more of a TV aspect ratio in comparison to computer monitors, most of which are still 16:10.
    <
    > <
    > <
    >
    Looking for a new fleet? Drop by the in-game chat channel, "tenforwardforum", and say hi to the members of A Fleet Called Ten Forward (Fed) and The Orion Pirates (KDF). If you already have a fleet you are happy with, please feel free to drop by our chat channel if you are looking for a friendly bunch of helpful people to socialize with.
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    zulisvel wrote: »
    So anyone at Cryptic care to explain why the "standard" Starfleet uniform for 2410 requires being a member of a fleet that has, at minimum, achieved tier 3 in their starbase?
    Pretty much this. It males little sense the "official" uniform is not available once you are graduated.
    In fact, the uniform you should wear during your academy is from the Cstore, and the uniform you should wear once promoted cost some dil and FC, and you need access to a fleet.
    That make little sense to me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    timelord79 wrote: »
    Huh? there ARE links to the High Rez versions!

Here is the biggest one: wallpaper HD

Erm... lol, yeah there are links in about 5% of the total lol. The rest are ridiculous small to be called wallpapers. Just images. Or at least i cant see any link to a 1920x1080 version, only in the first image and a couple more.
  • Options
    kgls133492kgls133492 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    is 16:9 or 16:10 the default for monitors i can never remember, i dont see any problem with the size since my 1yo 27" screen uses 1920x1200 native

just becouse the size you are using isnt there doesnt mean its all rubbish btw
  • Options
    monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    zulisvel wrote: »
    So anyone at Cryptic care to explain why the "standard" Starfleet uniform for 2410 requires being a member of a fleet that has, at minimum, achieved tier 3 in their starbase?

The belts are actually from the C-Store Jupiter uniform set.

Think of it like this: I forget what season it was, maybe season 3, but in TNG when they switched over to new uniforms on the show, only the higher ranking officers wore the new uniform. Lower ranked officers had last season's uniform still. This was to show a transition over to the new uniform.

So when you get out of the academy you are issued the 2409 uniform (available for free) and when you work your way through the ranks you get the brand new standard Odyssey uniform. :)

Lore wise it makes sense.
  • Options
    timelord79timelord79 Member Posts: 1,852 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    One request to the devs. If you are changing NPCs bit by bit. The first place you should start is the Fleet Starbase. Of all the places in the game, that's the one they should have it, since it's issued there! ;)
    11750640_1051211588222593_450219911807924697_n.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    kgls133492 wrote: »
    is 16:9 or 16:10 the default for monitors i can never remember, i dont see any problem with the size since my 1yo 27" screen uses 1920x1200 native

I still see more 16:10's, which in your case is 1920X1200. My 24' also has the same resolution. As time goes on though, I am seeing less 16:10's in the stores. I was just looking at a 2560X1080 on an ultra wide 29".
    <
    > <
    > <
    >
    Looking for a new fleet? Drop by the in-game chat channel, "tenforwardforum", and say hi to the members of A Fleet Called Ten Forward (Fed) and The Orion Pirates (KDF). If you already have a fleet you are happy with, please feel free to drop by our chat channel if you are looking for a friendly bunch of helpful people to socialize with.
  • Options
    edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    kgls133492 wrote: »

You are kidding right?? try to stretch a image of let's say, 1000x500 in to a 1920x1080p screen. If you love pixels, yea it looks amazing.. :D
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I swear, the new ARC site must be allergic to my computer. :(
  • Options
    kimonykimony Member Posts: 571 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    website unavailable, connection timed out... over and over and over again...

:confused: :rolleyes:

#SaucersForever #TrianglesCutDeep #TeamBeta #ShipOneisNumberOne
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I swear, the new ARC site must be allergic to my computer. :(

Don't worry! They only want your TRIBBLE... and your debit card information... and that burritto you are eating. :P

Purely sarcasm, people!
    <
    > <
    > <
    >
  • Options
    majortiraomegamajortiraomega Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    ... and that burritto you are eating.

One of the developers is a Taco...with fangs. If you are eating a burrito, then he may take offense. That burrito could be his cousin for all you know.
    --->Ground PvP Concerns Directory 4.0
    --->Ground Combat General Bugs Directory
    Real join date: March 2012 / PvP Veteran since May 2012 (Ground and Space)
  • Options
    guriphuguriphu Member Posts: 494 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Don't worry about Tacofangs, he's a taco-cannibal.

I like the shift to a normalized Starfleet uniform and the Oddy is an attractive pick. The wallpaper itself... looks bad to me, to be honest. But whatever, I don't play games for the wallpapers, and the ingame change is nice.
  • Options
    odstparker#7820 odstparker Member Posts: 466 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I absolutely love the Odyssey Uniform. It really goes well with the style of the Federation. Simple, sleek, and a bit of metal in there for you to put your gold, silver, or whatever else you want.

Now... PLEASE RELEASE THE REST OF IT! And the Bortasqu' Uniform! We need the complete sets! I would even gladly pay 500 ZEN to get those, which are already in the game, as evidenced by Admiral Quinn's new uniform and the Klingon tailor mannequins.
  • Options
    giannicampanellagiannicampanella Member Posts: 424 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Uh, I check Reddit. There is no colour palette instructions that I could find for the new standard uniform. Can someone who claimed to find it please post a link?

Regardless, all black uniforms, and now even less grey than DS9/FC+, are drab, and not Star Trek. Star Trek isn't The Matrix in space. It's about a bubbly, bright, optimistic, Root Beer future. Aliens come in every colour, and the common galactic culture is hippie-esque, infused with Greek style, as the Greek gods were real, being ancient aliens that visited Earth, and gave western civilization a legacy from the stars. Ergo, the City on the Edge of Forever ruins were in a Greco-Roman style because the Greco-Roman style of western civilization is actually an ancient alien style that most of the major races in the Alpha Quadrant were similarly exposed to by means of ancient alien visitation. Thus, every space-faring race traditionally wears robes, miniskirts, etc, and all in garish colours. This was true of TOS through TNG. I will not rest until this horrible puritanism is purged from my Star Trek. JJ had to reboot the Original Series for a reason: Berman & Co. made Starfleet a Puritan/Orthodox Jewish organization, full of dry, depressed people wearing all-black, like the fraking zombies in Disney's The Black Hole. End of rant.
    Nice wallpaper... the female though, why didn't you use T'Bo.... the Vulcan Spokeswoman from way back when? And does this mean that we're now finally in 2410!? (haven't had a chance to play all the new content so if it's mentioned in there, I don't know it yet).

And to answer the question about how new players will feel not having access to the "new" federation standard uniform and the mentioning of ESD. Suspension of disbelief is needed as my understanding is the new ESD is a result of content from season 9 which obviously the new players haven't gotten to yet. Would be nice if they could split it. Old ESD until you reach that point in the game story line (with some kind of neutral meeting spot so season 9ers and pre-9ers can meet).

You're a bit confused. There isn't a new ESD. We've just moved to another part of the station. We're up in the mid-mushroom top now. Before, we were either deeper in a lower level, or, more likely, near the very top, to account for the interior view at the lower level shipyard and the very small circumference above. It would have been cool to still have access to the old section, though, and make ESD truly labyrinthian, with lots of places for fleets and friends to meet in secret, like New Romulus.
    Greenbird
  • Options
    wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    when are they going to fix the character skins to work with all of the uniforms? It seems pointless to drop money into a game on characters and uniform options, when the company won't even finish the way the characters look.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Uh, I check Reddit. There is no colour palette instructions that I could find for the new standard uniform. Can someone who claimed to find it please post a link?

Regardless, all black uniforms, and now even less grey than DS9/FC+, are drab, and not Star Trek. Star Trek isn't The Matrix in space. It's about a bubbly, bright, optimistic, Root Beer future. Aliens come in every colour, and the common galactic culture is hippie-esque, infused with Greek style, as the Greek gods were real, being ancient aliens that visited Earth, and gave western civilization a legacy from the stars. Ergo, the City on the Edge of Forever ruins were in a Greco-Roman style because the Greco-Roman style of western civilization is actually an ancient alien style that most of the major races in the Alpha Quadrant were similarly exposed to by means of ancient alien visitation. Thus, every space-faring race traditionally wears robes, miniskirts, etc, and all in garish colours. This was true of TOS through TNG. I will not rest until this horrible puritanism is purged from my Star Trek. JJ had to reboot the Original Series for a reason: Berman & Co. made Starfleet a Puritan/Orthodox Jewish organization, full of dry, depressed people wearing all-black, like the fraking zombies in Disney's The Black Hole. End of rant.

You're a bit confused. There isn't a new ESD. We've just moved to another part of the station. We're up in the mid-mushroom top now. Before, we were either deeper in a lower level, or, more likely, near the very top, to account for the interior view at the lower level shipyard and the very small circumference above. It would have been cool to still have access to the old section, though, and make ESD truly labyrinthian, with lots of places for fleets and friends to meet in secret, like New Romulus.

Here you go, the official Odyssey uniform colors from thomasthecat http://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/23x9t8/unofficial_s9_ody_uniform_variants/ch218ya
  • Options
    giannicampanellagiannicampanella Member Posts: 424 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    ^Thank you, kind sir!

@wraithshadow13: Welcome to STO. Appearance is always put on the back burner, even though looks sell. This is ostensibly because the devs are too busy fixing bugs under the hood, except that these never get fixed either....

Ergo, adevism. I stopped believing in the existence in devs for the same reason I stopped believing in the existence of gods. All the same arguments work. 1) This game, like the universe, is obviously not intelligently designed. 2) The Problem of Evil -- this game, like the universe, is full of gratuitous bugs that could easily be prevented by omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent devs. They are not prevented. Thus, there are no such things as devs. It's a superstition designed by powerful players to control people. The truth is, this game has always existed, NPCs aren't created; they evolved, and there is no "devine plan" guiding this game, no devs lovingly watching over us. What people call 'Season 9' is just a random mutation, one link in an infinite chain of causes, with no purpose, no meaning. Get it? Time to grow up, and stop being superstitious. Just look at the evidence, and stop believing in the existence of devs on faith. Have you ever seen a dev? No one ever has. They're a myth. Do you think they answer your bug reports? I can send in bug reports all day, and nothing ever happens. Scientific studies show no correlation between sending bug reports and bugs actually being fixed. In fact, this whole "dev" myth came from the Greeks. The whole myth of Cryptic becoming the devs after Perpetual is just a rehash of the ancient Greek Titanomachy, or War of the Titans, where the Olympians conquered the Titans, and became the new masters of the universe. It's just a bunch of primitive superstition. Just stick to hard science. Science shows that everything that happens in this game can be explained by reducing all motion to the basic laws of physics. There are no "players" behind the toons, no devs controlling things... It's just pixels in the void. The Big Boot exploded everywhere at once, and it's all heading for an inevitable crash. It's entropy. In fact, renowned physicist Stephen Hawking explains in his new book, 'The Grand Design', "STO began with the Big Boot, which simply followed the inevitable law of physics. Because there is a law such as grinding, STO can and will create itself from nothing. Spontaneous creation is the reason there is something rather than nothing, why STO exists, why toons exist. STO didn't need a dev to begin; it was quite capable of launching its existence on its own." So, be skeptical. Stop being a religious sheeple that believes in fairy tales like the existence of devs. It's a lie. Fleet Admirals are just trying to control you. End of second rant.
    Greenbird
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    It's working again. For now. :P
  • Options
    hawke89305092hawke89305092 Member Posts: 237 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    It's nice to see the Odyssey uniform being made standard. It's just soooo much nicer than those ugly plastic Sierra things.

Even if the colour scheme you guys came with is completely different to my own take on it. :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Regardless, all black uniforms, and now even less grey than DS9/FC+, are drab,

inorite

I was really hoping they'd steal my uniforms for the official ones. Sort of a modern take on the AGT uniforms, only not intentionally designed to make the wearer look old.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    jexsamx wrote: »
    inorite

I was really hoping they'd steal my uniforms for the official ones. Sort of a modern take on the AGT uniforms, only not intentionally designed to make the wearer look old.

I actually like the version awkward phaser girl is using.
  • Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited April 2014

I certainly don't hate that version. I think the white piping is a little much but I like how it dares to use lighter grey than you typically see.

Honestly though I'm just sort of bored of the ol' colored-shoulder black-chest look, and the white-on-black inherited from the Destiny novels into STO's current NPC uniforms looks tacky.

IMO either they should've gone with the black shoulder/division color strip/grey chest, the T'TRIBBLE scheme, or something along the lines of mine.

Don't get me wrong I don't hate the current ones either, I'm just sayin', I woulda done something different.
  • Options
    jmaster29jmaster29 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Can we have a KDF version of this please? Pretty please?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    jmaster29 wrote: »
    Can we have a KDF version of this please? Pretty please?

The KDF version is supposed to be the bortas uniform. Unfortunately, players are not allowed to use anything but the basic shirt, pants and boots of that uniform and to this day noone ever gave us a reason why.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    edited April 2014

Yeah. I can't stop staring at her.......rank pips. They look familiar and not what we actually have. Are those the rank pips from the Wells uniform you get in the lobi store?

I don't think that image is based on what's actually in the game. It has the wrong type of rank pips, and an open jacket version that I've never seen in the game, not even on any NPCs.

What I have seen on NPCs but isn't available to us is a longer version of the jacket and the belt. The chief medical officer in the infirmary in the new ESD interior has them.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Yeah. I can't stop staring at her.......rank pips. They look familiar and not what we actually have. Are those the rank pips from the Wells uniform you get in the lobi store?

I don't think that image is based on what's actually in the game. It has the wrong type of rank pips, and an open jacket version that I've never seen in the game, not even on any NPCs.

What I have seen on NPCs but isn't available to us is a longer version of the jacket and the belt. The chief medical officer in the infirmary in the new ESD interior has them.

Those are the rank pips used on the Wells uniform, and so far we haven't gotten an "open" variant of this uniform, which she is *cough* quite obviously using. The belt is still missing as well, even thought it's been used on multiple NPCs, including Admiral Tuvok.

I hate that they have not released ANY information on whether or not we will ever get these complete uniforms, and I HATE the fact that they keep teasing us by using the complete uniform on so many NPCs, like Quinn, Tuvok, Koren, most of the Bortasqu' senior officers, and tailor mannequins.

JUST GIVE US THE DAMN UNIFORM! I'll even pay the standard ZEN price for this awesome uniform design! Just release it already! And the Enterprise MACO one while you're at it!
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    jexsamx wrote: »
    I certainly don't hate that version. I think the white piping is a little much but I like how it dares to use lighter grey than you typically see.

Honestly though I'm just sort of bored of the ol' colored-shoulder black-chest look, and the white-on-black inherited from the Destiny novels into STO's current NPC uniforms looks tacky.

IMO either they should've gone with the black shoulder/division color strip/grey chest, the T'TRIBBLE scheme, or something along the lines of mine.

Don't get me wrong I don't hate the current ones either, I'm just sayin', I woulda done something different.

I like the ol' colored-shoulder black-chest look. :P I do agree that the Destiny unforms look abysmal.
    angrytarg wrote: »
    The KDF version is supposed to be the bortas uniform. Unfortunately, players are not allowed to use anything but the basic shirt, pants and boots of that uniform and to this day noone ever gave us a reason why.

Supposedly it's due to the quality of the model. Like something wasn't displaying right. They didn't tell me what it was, but that was the excuse they gave. :rolleyes: Supposedly there was supposed to be a skirt even.

Yup. Those are the Wells pips for some reason. I really wish that we could have open versions the Oddy Uniform. (both with and without undershirts) There's also an odyssey skirt, but just like the bortas skirt we cant use it either.
  • Options
    jmaster29jmaster29 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    angrytarg wrote: »

I meant of the thread. Like a timeline of Klingon uniforms. Could do one for the Rommies to.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    jmaster29 wrote: »
    I meant of the thread. Like a timeline of Klingon uniforms. Could do one for the Rommies to.

Unfortunately, there's only three distinct types of Klingon uniform in terms of a timeline. The TOS uniform was the first, then an infinite number of variations of clothing and armor, and now the Bortasqu' uniforms.

The Klingons have never really had a standard uniform, except for some more elaborate dress like the High Council's robes. Every Klingon pretty much goes with what works for them.