test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Will the new rep system kill STO?

exarch1701exarch1701 Member Posts: 71 Arc User
edited May 2014 in Reputation System
Not a big fan of the new rep system. No, Im not saying that it WILL kill STO, hence the "?" at the end of the title, but I would like to know your thoughts on it.
Post edited by exarch1701 on

Comments

• Options
    ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    No.

10charsaddedhere.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • Options
    hyefatherhyefather Member Posts: 1,286 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    You can not kill what is already dead?
  • Options
    revandarklighterrevandarklighter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    No.
    While I see why people hate the changes (or some of them) this is by no way the core of the game. So no it will not kill STO.

If they go on to make such unpopular changes that course of action will ultimately lead to that result, but the rep changes alone certainly not.
  • Options
    fmgtorres1979fmgtorres1979 Member Posts: 1,327 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    hyefather wrote: »
    You can not kill what is already dead?

Hummmm....

Zombies? Vampires?...
  • Options
    ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The game was already broken beyond repair. This unbreaks a small part of it. It is irrelevant.
  • Options
    bareelbareel Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The element of 'progression' is one of the defining elements of the RPG genre. The lack of it tends to result in players becoming 'bored' quickly.

Time will tell. The bad thing here though is that the change I don't think could be undone nor will it show up very well in feedback or from metrics as a clearly defined problem.

Players will either really miss that sense of 'progression' and become bored more quickly with the game, or they will still get that sense of 'progression' and not. Or they might not actually care.

I would add though that the forum activity seems to be pretty, slow, for a weekend after a season update but it was released on a Tuesday so I dunno. I did expect much more rage over this though I really did.
  • Options
    redsnake721redsnake721 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    All I can say is this: I have played since launch, Spent money every season. Grided out every rep on every toon. Loved every new mission event. But since season 9. I have not logged in yet to even play. No desire to try to "fix" all my builds that I have spent months perfecting, re-spec my captains. I have no desire to grind out a new rep that I will not be able to really use. THis change was a mistake. It will hurt the games population and cash flow. But the powers that be will never admit it or change it.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    bareel wrote: »
    The element of 'progression' is one of the defining elements of the RPG genre. The lack of it tends to result in players becoming 'bored' quickly.

Character progression without content progression results in players being even more bored. Keeping the challenge level of the endgame content the same so new level 50s and veterans can complete it with a system capable of infinite character progression makes the game far too easy. So Cryptic either needed to gate content in STO or the Reputation Traits Revamp. The Reputation Traits Revamp allows new level 50s to do the new endgame content and gives some challenge to the veterans.
  • Options
    baelogventurebaelogventure Member Posts: 1,002 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    All the new things kills STO all the time forever and ever.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    starkaos wrote: »
    Character progression without content progression results in players being even more bored. Keeping the challenge level of the endgame content the same so new level 50s and veterans can complete it with a system capable of infinite character progression makes the game far too easy. So Cryptic either needed to gate content in STO or the Reputation Traits Revamp. The Reputation Traits Revamp allows new level 50s to do the new endgame content and gives some challenge to the veterans.
    The only challenge it gives veterans is trying to find a reason to play their "endgame content" at all.

Thanks to the nerf, I have completed exactly One (1) PvE queue mission since S9 (a normal Undine Assault, just to see what it looked like). I plan on running Two (2) sometime next week (a normal Undine Infiltration and a normal Viscous Cycle, just to see what they look like). There's just no point.

And no, I did not spend the marks on a rep project. I'll wait for the dil weekend and turn them in.
  • Options
    ikonn#1068 ikonn Member Posts: 1,450 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    No, the reputation revamp does not kill the game. All it does is it makes the reputation grind faster and we don't have to pay into the reputation system as much as we used to.

Honestly, after and if you do the complete storyline missions (or skip through) and then do the reputation, you're pretty much done on that character. The options are to create a new character and go through all that again, or do mission replays here and there, STFs, work on fleet projects, or troll ESD.

pretty much...

Game Over
    -AoP- Warrior's Blood (KDF Armada) / -AoP- Qu' raD qulbo'Degh / -AoP- Project Phoenix
  • Options
    dkratascodkratasco Member Posts: 585 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    People cry because now they must think what bonus chose for specific mission. And thinking part is problem here. In my opinion rep change make game more interesting just because of more option to chose and need to more carefully plan your builds.
  • Options
    fraghul2000fraghul2000 Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    warpangel wrote: »
    The only challenge it gives veterans is trying to find a reason to play their "endgame content" at all.

Thanks to the nerf, I have completed exactly One (1) PvE queue mission since S9 (a normal Undine Assault, just to see what it looked like). I plan on running Two (2) sometime next week (a normal Undine Infiltration and a normal Viscous Cycle, just to see what they look like). There's just no point.

And no, I did not spend the marks on a rep project. I'll wait for the dil weekend and turn them in.

That's pretty it. Unless there is either a rep-trait that's better than one of the existing ones or a "must-have" item in a certain rep-tier, there is no incentive for certain people to level a new reputation system.

Items and ships are and have been stuck on the same level for quite a while now, there is no way to improve a characters performance through the rep-system anymore...what's the incentive to log in each day?
  • Options
    finiesfinies Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Well i'm done . I have put up with lot in this game . This was my breaking point . Been a lifetime since beta . Out of all the stupid stupid stuff you have done ( Includeing f2p ) this tops them all . STO uninstalled .
  • Options
    finiesfinies Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    dkratasco wrote: »
    People cry because now they must think what bonus chose for specific mission. And thinking part is problem here. In my opinion rep change make game more interesting just because of more option to chose and need to more carefully plan your builds.

No . the problem is they give stuff , then somewhere down the road they take that away plus intrest.
  • Options
    notorycznynotoryczny Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    finies wrote: »
    No . the problem is they give stuff , then somewhere down the road they take that away plus intrest.

+1 here.

Its not about having to decide what to use. Its about getting the rewards, using them all, and then being forced to decide which half of them to use. They did not become twice as powerful to compenstae for reduction in number. Its about grinding 4 reputations to t5, benefitting from them and then being told "well thats nice that you played the new content and earned all rewards, here, keep half of them". If I knew it will be like that, I would grind one to t4, and remaining ones to t2, as I did on my non-feds.

Distasteful.
    May 2013, automatic permanent ban for mentioning gold-seller sites
    pwebranflakes: this system is currently in place and working the way it should.
    moradum: I got banned for saying "I started my day with cutting off 3 MM off of the bottom of my cabinet"
  • Options
    executiveoneexecutiveone Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    finies wrote: »

+1 here, too. I think Cryptic had some legitimate concerns they were trying to solve here, but this was a pretty terrible way to go about it.
  • Options
    cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    No, it won't.

But I wonder why people play a game they don't like to play.
  • Options
    jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited April 2014
    exarch1701 wrote: »
    Not a big fan of the new rep system. No, Im not saying that it WILL kill STO, hence the "?" at the end of the title, but I would like to know your thoughts on it.

Clearly it isnt helping
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
  • Options
    gurugeorgegurugeorge Member Posts: 421 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Nope, being able to change your traits on the fly, and have them more powerful and worth selecting for specific loadouts and tasks, is worth much more than the loss of a few measly passives.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    warpangel wrote: »

And the new equipment is not enough of a reason to do new endgame content? Passives were never a reason for me to do any reputation, it was always the equipment and I have never lost a single piece of equipment that I grinded for.

There is also the actives to grind for. At this moment, people can't grind for 4 space actives or 4 ground actives so that is enough incentive to still grind the new reputations.
  • Options
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I do new stuff because it's new stuff to do. Isn't that the point?
  • Options
    coldicephoenixcoldicephoenix Member Posts: 344 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I was going to write a thoughtful and deeply insightful reply, but then I realized the bloody rep system is broken with the hourly project broken and it no longer gives rep after the first 3 completions even after the 20 hour time period.
    3 of my toons no longer get the hourly project rep. On one, I had slotted an hourly rep a day on 3 consecutive days and hence no way of even reaching the daily limit and yet he now no longer gets rep :mad:

We still live!!!!! Hahahahahahahahaa! We live and we will conquer!!!!! Hahahahahaaha!

-Roach, when asked about Klingon extinction!
  • Options
    dragnridrdragnridr Member Posts: 671 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    gurugeorge wrote: »
    Nope, being able to change your traits on the fly, and have them more powerful and worth selecting for specific loadouts and tasks, is worth much more than the loss of a few measly passives.

A few measly passives? If a person has ALL their reps maxed, those "few measly passives" can make a difference in a destroyed ship filled with frustration and a ship that survives. This new rep nerf was done to satisfy those newbie players that were complaining they couldn't keep up with the veteran players.

My advice to the new players: Work on getting to where the veterans are and quit crying. How do you think the veterans got to where they are? They EARNED all those passives. They also EARNED the right to have ALL those passives active.

So stop crying and start earning like everyone else.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    starkaos wrote: »
    And the new equipment is not enough of a reason to do new endgame content? Passives were never a reason for me to do any reputation, it was always the equipment and I have never lost a single piece of equipment that I grinded for.
    No. The equipment is "options," just like the traits post-nerf. I'm not gonna grind just so I can have slightly different versions of same old, same old. And I've already done the math, Romulan plasma is still the best loadout.
    There is also the actives to grind for. At this moment, people can't grind for 4 space actives or 4 ground actives so that is enough incentive to still grind the new reputations.
    The actives are fancy gimmicks with little practical value. If it was given at tier 1, it might be worth doing that one just to see what it looks like. Not a chance for 5 tiers.

EDIT: Also, while it is possible to use all the actives at once, it would require manually switching them every time you go from space to ground or vice versa. No thanks.
  • Options
    gurugeorgegurugeorge Member Posts: 421 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    dragnridr wrote: »
    A few measly passives? If a person has ALL their reps maxed, those "few measly passives" can make a difference in a destroyed ship filled with frustration and a ship that survives.

And yet oddly, with my carefully-chosen, fewer but more powerful passives, I am now more powerful and survivable than I was before (relative to my playstyle of course). That, combined with the slightly enhanced Elite difficulty, makes for a funner game, for me.

Plus I can change things around to suit content (e.g. switch all ground or space traits, go all defence or all attack, etc.)

I much prefer the system as it is now. By far.
  • Options
    emperordeslokemperordeslok Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    We had no rep when I started, then came the the fleet system omega then romulan and nukara... ect., that was supposed to break sto each time, and each time we got more powerful and pulverized the content even faster, this last round really didn't undo that but it did adjust it some(I can crit harder and more often than ever before so I wouldnt say I'm hurting with the new system) will it break sto? no. but what it will do is let them keep adding reps without it stacking higher forever, I can't say it's good or bad but some variety is nice
  • Options
    dragnridrdragnridr Member Posts: 671 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    gurugeorge wrote: »
    And yet oddly, with my carefully-chosen, fewer but more powerful passives, I am now more powerful and survivable than I was before (relative to my playstyle of course). That, combined with the slightly enhanced Elite difficulty, makes for a funner game, for me.

Plus I can change things around to suit content (e.g. switch all ground or space traits, go all defence or all attack, etc.)

I much prefer the system as it is now. By far.

Go ahead.....I'd rather have ALL my passives I earned than having to choose everytime I have to change maps or enemies. Having them already active makes more sense than having to take 2-3 minutes trying to find the ones I need when I could already be on my way doing the missions.

BTW, the buffs done to the current passives was not that much from what they already were.

But that also doesn't fix the fact they NERF NUKE the hell out the passives. Keep your 4/4/4 and I'll raise you all my available passive active at once. Who then has the better hand.
  • Options
    architect13architect13 Member Posts: 1,076 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    It won't kill it by itself . . . but it continues the steady march from mmo toward an arcade game. Switching ships at a whim, traits changing willy nilly, making sure decision making can be watered down to appeal to "casual" gamers, buffing people with less "rep". . .
    Have you tried the new forum on your phone?
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I like it. I think it's fine.