test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

New Wallpapers! It's 2410, Time For Some New Threads!

pwecaptainsmirkpwecaptainsmirk Member Posts: 1,167 Arc User
We just added some new wallpapers to our Media Gallery! Time for some new threads! It's a new year and time for some fashion forward trends. Check out the details for instructions on how to make your own great versions of these iconic uniforms!

Link to the Media Gallery.

~CaptainSmirk
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    tuskin67tuskin67 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Oh very cool!
  • Options
    forthegamerforthegamer Member Posts: 177 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Very cool on the picture to indicate the new threads. However, Smirk, I don't exactly see where we can find out about the new regulations concerning these threads. Is that still coming?
  • Options
    cptshephardcptshephard Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I see the wallpaper.. but no instructions.
  • Options
    argent007argent007 Member Posts: 220 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    okay guys, seriously, how bleeding hard is it to release 720p and 1080p versions of these wallpapers? natively in these resolutions that is.....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    darknessmutadarknessmuta Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I think the Devblog with the info has not been posted yet but there is a thread on Reddit with the color info.
  • Options
    cptshephardcptshephard Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I think the Devblog with the info has not been posted yet but there is a thread on Reddit with the color info.

I found that after I spent hours the other day meticulously matching colors on all my characters. I should browse reddit more.
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I would very much like instructions on how to get those belts.
  • Options
    phenomenaut01phenomenaut01 Member Posts: 714 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I have a concern.

If the Odyssey uniform is now the "official" Starfleet uniform how is it going to feel to a brand new player once they realize that the "official" Starfleet uniform - worn by nearly every NPC in the game - is something they don't have access to right away?

In my opinion, they're going to feel like a second class citizen.

(Sure, it could be argued from a story perspective the Odyssey uniform is new to 2410 and captains just entering the game are still back in 2409 but if you see it the first time you visit ESD that doesn't make sense.)

It would seem that the original intention of the Odyssey uniform was to give fleets and their members something special to show off their unity and accomplishments? How is it special anymore if every NPC on every corner has one.

Here's a humble suggestion: how about you give the fleets a new special variant uniform (or as suggested in other threads, a special variant texture for the Odyssey suit) and release this one to everyone now that it's out there on display?

That's just my opinion. Thanks for letting me share it. Other than the above concern I love what you folks at Cryptic are doing with this game.
  • Options
    zulisvelzulisvel Member Posts: 518 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    So anyone at Cryptic care to explain why the "standard" Starfleet uniform for 2410 requires being a member of a fleet that has, at minimum, achieved tier 3 in their starbase?
    orangeitis wrote: »
    I would very much like instructions on how to get those belts.
    The belts are actually from the C-Store Jupiter uniform set.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    zulisvel wrote: »
    The belts are actually from the C-Store Jupiter uniform set.
    Oh snap, I assumed the pic would have the NPC belts on it. My bad. =3
  • Options
    bawdytieflingbawdytiefling Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Very nice layout of the history of the uniform.

An observation. For a company that recently touted its work on increasing the costume creator's ability to generate more diversity in facial features and such, there's an awful lot of white people featured in that wallpaper.

'Cause that's what Roddenberry would have wanted. A Starfleet of white people and aliens, and the token black person once and a while.

Now that you have this increased capacity to generate some more diversity in your characters, maybe you might want to, oh, I don't know, use it more?
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Very nice layout of the history of the uniform.

An observation. For a company that recently touted its work on increasing the costume creator's ability to generate more diversity in facial features and such, there's an awful lot of white people featured in that wallpaper.

'Cause that's what Roddenberry would have wanted. A Starfleet of white people and aliens, and the token black person once and a while.

Now that you have this increased capacity to generate some more diversity in your characters, maybe you might want to, oh, I don't know, use it more?
    Why can't we have the freedom to NOT use it? Why does "diversity" not allow for "randomness"? Why does there have to be different races and species just because there CAN be?

This wallpaper is featuring uniforms, not officers, regardless.
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    ^^^
    Um, go back and watch the unaired version of GR's first attempt to sell 'Star Trek' - aka "The Cage". ;)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    millybunmillybun Member Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Neat wallpaper! Though I have two criticisms:

The TMP display is missing the Starfleet delta badge on the chest (aka combadge).

And the Odyssey display isn't using what I presume to be the unavailable Odyssey belts seen on NPCs at ESD.

Those aside, I fancy these kinds of wallpaper. =P *saves*
  • Options
    vocmcpvocmcp Member Posts: 1,134 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Where are those instructions? Can't find them.
  • Options
    reximuzreximuz Member Posts: 1,172 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    It would be really awesome to see KDF and Romulan versions of this as well.
  • Options
    f9thaceshighf9thaceshigh Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I don't want to nit-pick, but, those TNG uniforms weren't introduced until 2366.
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Any chance of your web team fixing the website so it can be viewed?

Looks like a white mess of words for me... :confused:
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    kylelockekylelocke Member Posts: 182 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    So where exactly is the Jupiter Veteran uniform on the timeline? Because I thought that due to Museum Quality special project that it would be next and not the Odyssey uniform
    "I will make the Orion Syndicate face the light of justice or burn them with it." - Captainl Kyle Nathaniel Locke, U.S.S. Excalibur NCC-98105-C
  • Options
    shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    It looks like you all missed the first season TNG uniforms in that lineup.
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• Options
    silverskyhigh2silverskyhigh2 Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I like it looks kool, but there is one wallpaper that I would like to see that hasn't been done yet and that is of the Avenger. I ask for this one cause it just so Boss like looking. lol:cool:
  • Options
    exa12exa12 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    wow, sierra looks horribly out of place on that line-up

for spoiler text use #1b1c1f
  • Options
    tilarium1979tilarium1979 Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Nice wallpaper... the female though, why didn't you use T'Bo.... the Vulcan Spokeswoman from way back when? And does this mean that we're now finally in 2410!? (haven't had a chance to play all the new content so if it's mentioned in there, I don't know it yet).

And to answer the question about how new players will feel not having access to the "new" federation standard uniform and the mentioning of ESD. Suspension of disbelief is needed as my understanding is the new ESD is a result of content from season 9 which obviously the new players haven't gotten to yet. Would be nice if they could split it. Old ESD until you reach that point in the game story line (with some kind of neutral meeting spot so season 9ers and pre-9ers can meet).
  • Options
    alan1701halan1701h Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Great looking wallpaper! Nice job devs! Downloaded! :D

Will "The Cage" and "Where No Man Has Gone Before" uniforms ever be added is what I'd like to know. Yes, I know the only real differences between them and the regular Star Trek uniforms are the collar and the rank insignia but still they appeared and should be included.

Just as a matter of interest why weren't the uniforms from the two pilots carried on over to Star Trek when it was picked up aside from cameo appearances on supporting characters like the Antares crew in "Charlie X"?
  • Options
    edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    And you call that wallpapers??? seriously??? not even on 720p?? lol. Ridiculous. We are in the year 2014, but these guys of cryptic live in the year 1995. A LOT of people have screens of about 1920... and you want them to put a wallpaper so small?? hahahahahaha...

People will always say "good job" , cuz they are robots and condescendient people, but those wallpapers are terrible. First, they cant be called wallpapers, that for a start.
  • Options
    timelord79timelord79 Member Posts: 1,852 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    And you call that wallpapers??? seriously??? not even on 720p?? lol. Ridiculous. We are in the year 2014, but these guys of cryptic live in the year 1995. A LOT of people have screens of about 1920... and you want them to put a wallpaper so small?? hahahahahaha...

People will always say "good job" , cuz they are robots and condescendient people, but those wallpapers are terrible. First, they cant be called wallpapers, that for a start.

Huh? there ARE links to the High Rez versions!

Here is the biggest one: wallpaper HD
    11750640_1051211588222593_450219911807924697_n.jpg
  • Options
    cookiecrookcookiecrook Member Posts: 4,529 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    With the year finally being advanced. When can we expect a level cap increase?
    <
    > <
    > <
    >
    Looking for a new fleet? Drop by the in-game chat channel, "tenforwardforum", and say hi to the members of A Fleet Called Ten Forward (Fed) and The Orion Pirates (KDF). If you already have a fleet you are happy with, please feel free to drop by our chat channel if you are looking for a friendly bunch of helpful people to socialize with.
  • Options
    argent007argent007 Member Posts: 220 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    timelord79 wrote: »
    Huh? there ARE links to the High Rez versions!

Here is the biggest one: wallpaper HD

it's not 1080p though, to make it work on a 1080p screen you either have to lop off some of the top and bottom, or scale it back to something that isn't 1920, and thus, have sideways letterboxing

what me and my other complaintant are saying is that they don't offer up NATIVE 720p (1280x720) or 1080p (1920x1080) versions of their wallpapers

EDIT: added in what 720p and 1080p measure out to in pixels for those less technically advanced

Also with the ROG Swift 27 inch gaming display on the horizon, you must also take into consideration 1440p displays (2560x1440) which are even HIGHER res than your average 25-27 inch display
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Hmm... which ones do I actually use?

ENT: Eridian wears it, but only the top. and reshaded green. She does wear a badge from that era, but the mirror one.

TOS: Carnlan wears the formal badges that come with it (not pictured) He also uses the small formal badge instead of a combadge on his crew. I also use the mirror sash a lot.

TMP: Chuft wears the top but reshaded using a pallette similar to TNG

TWOK: do not haz... except the combadge, which Chuft uses, and the belt which Sekkoth wears

TNG: Melati used to wear the top, with the sierra bottom and boots

DS9: apparently I don't use these.

TNGF: apparently I don't use these.

AGT: I like this combadge and use it a lot.

Sierra: love the pants and boots. I tend to use those almost by default. and the combadge

Academy: I used to use it on a character that I was trying to make look like a random NPC. But only that.

Odyssey: do not haz... but SOON!
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    spacebaronlinespacebaronline Member Posts: 1,103 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    It looks like you all missed the first season TNG uniforms in that lineup.

Where is the SKANT!!!!

(it made it into 5 TNG episodes - it should be in game!)