Install Arc
Options

Why free 2 play is Very Bad

Comments

• Options
    captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    hyefather wrote: »
    Free 2 play is bad simple because it is Completly Developer Driven for Profit and a Subscription based game is Completely Player and Content driven. So in other words instead of us getting New story missions and Fleet ships we get a Lock box and Lobi store items. How in the Hell did this ever take the place of subscription based MMO's. Are there really that many ppl out there that support such a self destructive idea such as this. Please constructive critisism only.

First, i dont really think your criticism was very constructive but that aside i dont really know how you can say any of that is true.

all mmo models are designed to make profit. if you think that they were not trying to make profit with subs and the c-store and lifetime subs then you are massively mistaken. the idea of f2p is to offer the game for free, with the option to pay as much as you want. its the players choice.

they typically make more money and bring in more people and that profit goes back into the game to make it bigger and better. where is the destruction here?

did you miss the last 15 months or so of mission content? there was an expansion with a new faction including about 35 missions across the board, a new summer event, 4 battlezones, a multitude of new pve events, over a dozen remastered missions, new tutorials, 4 Fe that involved the VO of three major star trek characters. new fleet holdings, new reps, updates to several systems like kits, a bunch of free ships, updates to ships with flanking and cruiser commands and with another expansion coming later this year.

and the quality has massively improved. compare the last FE we got to some of the stuff we had in the first year. and you can have all of that for free.

yet trying to make money with optional items that no one has to buy and thats destructive?
  • Options
    captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited April 2014

Cryptic at one point early on promised those every few months ... to make it feel like you where living a Star Trek Television show. The fact that they can't be bothered to produce 4-5 missions every 2-3 months is SAD...

Look at the year we got 15 FE in a year and a bunch of patrols. people called that a success and said it was the 'golden age' of content.

Now last year in LOR alone we got around 30-35 missions or so with the romulan missions, the kdf missions, cross faction missions. you just got them in one hit rather than spread out. they would have been working on those for months and months and they just held onto them instead of releasing as and when were ready.

the new FE are singular but the quality is so much greater with VO, guest starts, cut scenes, graphics everything. they could probably make 3 old normal eps for the time and effort to make one of these and most people tend to agree they blow the old ones out the water. sure they can go back to knocking out missions quickly but is playing 3 average missions better than 1 great one? you're only spending an hour more playing them to be left underwhelmed at the end.

and we get system updates, reps, holdings, remastered and battlezones and pve que events on top which we did not get in the very beginning when those original claims were made. so i really dont see how its sad or a developer fail at all.
  • Options
    ericshatnerericshatner Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I'm a lifer. Bought in in Jan 2010. Played for a month and didn't look again seriously until a few months after F2P. Even before F2P they had micro transactions. Despite dropping $200, I wasn't allowed access to the Gal-X or the constitution bridge without giving them even more money. Until F2P.

Now the game has way more people playing it, making it a better experience for me. My sub gives me everything I used to get +500 Zen a month. Content releases are regular and often good (S9 being an exception rather than the rule). I can buy anything I want from lockboxes on the exchange. Dilithium is easy to get and there are enough people buying Zen that the exchange rate is still favourable.

STO has a very good F2P model, and I am super happy with it. STO before F2P was basically dead man walking. Star Trek fans aren't anywhere near as irrationally loyal as some seem to think. They have a nose for value too.

Are there some issues with STO? Absolutely. I think it was a mistake to make Undine ships available to players. My answer, I will fly one rarely. I will still buy it if/when it gets cheap enough, because you know, I'm curious. I will not rage against people who love it and think it's awesome, because you know what?, nothing immoral has happened here. Cryptic made an option available for some people who want it, if you don't no one is forcing you to buy it.

Later this year you are going to get the second expansion for FREE. Legacy of Romulus, the first one, was the best thing that ever happened to this game. Many other F2P MMOs charge for expansions. Really, I just don't get why you would ever want it to be any other way...
  • Options
    antoniosalieriantoniosalieri Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Not going to work because you can't monetize Mission Content in F2P games the same way as in Sub-games .... well you could but Cryptic decided against putting Missions in the C-Store ... it's no mystic coincidence "Serial Episodes" went over board just after F2P ...

The only reason they're able to do LOR was because, we got lots of new Stuff in the C-Store, Romulans stuff ... if they made just 25 new FED Mission i.E. => no reason to buy new shinies from the Store => no profit ...

If it's 100% Dev-Failure, why could they do it before F2P ?

Yes because they charge you extra for it ... aka "How F2P works" :P

Right now they give us one mission per lockbox. There is zero reason they couldn't do a proper 4-5 mission story arc instead.

Really think about it... right now they do a week or so between lockboxes where they drop all the old boxes again... They could make more money off that content every "rerun". Instead of doing it the way they do now... ONLY drop one old lockbox for that week and do a Episode rerun at the same time. So had... they done a 4-5 mission based on the Hirogen.. and tholian ect. For that week they revive that one box and do the mission rerun for it at the same time with bonus rewards that get people back.

"Giving" content away doesn't happen... its simple they could have used ACTUAL missions to do a much better job of driving lockbox sales.

Cryptic is lazy / cheep / milking the IP till they loose it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.
  • Options
    thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Look at the year we got 15 FE in a year and a bunch of patrols. people called that a success and said it was the 'golden age' of content.

1. It was within 6 months
    2. Patrols
    3. FE-Dailys
    4. Foundry
    5. Undine Story Arc
    6. Diplomatic Missions
    7. Klingon Story Arcs

=> it was :P

Yeah sure the new FE are shinier & all, and they're actually slowly getting back to Pre-F2P frequency ... but you're remembering 2010 wrong ...

... as for quality, sure the new ones are pretty epic, too ... but tbh I was more drawn into the Story with "Cloaked Intentions" i.E., than now ... VO & all are great but imho not "Quality"
    "Giving" content away doesn't happen... its simple they could have used ACTUAL missions to do a much better job of driving lockbox sales.

Well the main problem here is, I doubt they really have to drive Lockbox Sales (yet) ... if 1 FE is enough to get them opening these Boxes, why waste money on 4-5 ... (if anything the would try to use 1 FE, to sell 2 Lockboxes ... because that's the thing making money in F2P, not the overall [content] quality of the game)
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • Options
    ghyudtghyudt Member Posts: 1,112 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    If STO had actually gone completely free, then I probably would've agreed with the op. But I think he missed a very important point. STO hasn't gone completely free. Sure, you can create and customize a character, play all the way through, reach max level, etc, but you have limits on your f2p account. You also get access to certain items and ships by getting a gold or lifetime account that you can't get by being a free player. And that is what makes STO a very successful f2p game. Not only did it start out sub based, but it kept certain perks for sub's only, and even allows for 1 time payment to unlock access to all items and get free zen forever. Even to casual gamers, this is extremely attractive and tempting, like myself. I had no interest in even trying it while it was sub only. I didn't have the money to spend each month. But as soon as I heard it was going free, I jumped on it. I played free for 3 years, reached the limit for a free account, and decided I wanted more. So I spent the 300 and got a lifetime account upgrade. And I couldn't be happier. And I'll bet I'm not the only one with a story like this, and I'm sure the player population shot up dramatically once it was free. So, no, f2p is not a bad thing, when its done correctly.
  • Options
    baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    i can very much garantee you that STO wouldn't be around anymore if they hadn't changed to F2P...period.
    the game is not particularely "excellent", and if i had to chose between a subscription for a AAA title and STO, guess what...

i also don't think the transition to f2p has anything to do with world economics or recession, but with smart marketing and the fact that f2p is more profitable for mediocre games these days.
    Nobody in their right mind went to a gameshop and bought intentionaly a bad game for 50 bucks, but if it is for free AND from a franchise you like you might just pick it up and test it.
    Free 2 play is bad simple because it is Completly Developer Driven for Profit and a Subscription based game is Completely Player and Content driven

that is kind of irrelevant! a developer at a gameing company gets monthly payment for the hours he works...not the type of content they deliver.
    you may not like the current content, but the fact is, that it is a billion times better than what was served at launch remains.
    STO allways was a mix of subscription and microtransaction anyway (VA ships, costumes, ...)
    Now they basically have, IMHO, the best subscription/F2P model of all F2P MMOs i know of...seconded only by LOTRO, allthough at a certain point you need to buy an expansion pack with real money to reach maxlevel. At that time it is well earned because you most likely invested already weeks into playing and you obviously liked it.

looking at those facts, going f2p and getting bought by PWE was the best that could have happened to cryptic in the long run...the alternative being shut down.
    Go pro or go home
  • Options
    hyefatherhyefather Member Posts: 1,286 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Free 2 play is good .... for Cryptic/PWE. Hell its the best thing since sliced bread, but for us players it sucks. WE deserve more than 1 FE per season, we deserve More than 1 battleground per season. I bet every player out there would give that up for their traits back. If you are happy with what you got this season, you must be a very easy person to please. They type of person who roles to their front door in thier wheelchair and watches the grass grow for a few hours. Sweet jesus we are worth more. Do not count yourselves as worthless. Think about this, 2 Lockbox ships and some lobi items. What do you think a person spends 2 obtain those items. 50 or 100 dollors. Is 1 FE and a battlezone worth that. Before you lash back with its free, stop and think. What is the objective in a game. Its to better yourself through play and in sto one of the main ways to better yourself is threw ship collecting. If it wasnt you would never buy a key not once. So in cryptics eyes for its bussiness revenue it has traded you the worth of items sells to the content we recieve. 1 Fe ep. and a battlezone is highway robbery.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    hyefather wrote: »
    Free 2 play is good .... for Cryptic/PWE. Hell its the best thing since sliced bread, but for us players it sucks. WE deserve more than 1 FE per season, we deserve More than 1 battleground per season. I bet every player out there would give that up for their traits back. If you are happy with what you got this season, you must be a very easy person to please. They type of person who roles to their front door in thier wheelchair and watches the grass grow for a few hours. Sweet jesus we are worth more. Do not count yourselves as worthless. Think about this, 2 Lockbox ships and some lobi items. What do you think a person spends 2 obtain those items. 50 or 100 dollors. Is 1 FE and a battlezone worth that. Before you lash back with its free, stop and think. What is the objective in a game. Its to better yourself through play and in sto one of the main ways to better yourself is threw ship collecting. If it wasnt you would never buy a key not once. So in cryptics eyes for its bussiness revenue it has traded you the worth of items sells to the content we recieve. 1 Fe ep. and a battlezone is highway robbery.

Dude, subscription does not mean more and better content...in reality it means less. I don't know where this notion comes from that subscription = more/better content...there simply is no example for it anywhere other than WOW but they have ten times the manpower and funding anyway.

also it is certainly not robbery if the new shinys are 100% optional...or do you go to a supermarket to buy beer, then when you see a premium beer for 3 times the price of the normal beer next to it you demand the premium beer to be cheaper?
    No, you buy the cheaper beer, because it makes you drunk just as much.
    same in STO, if you can't or won't buy an overpriced lockbox ship, then don't buy it...it is in no way mandatory to have it.
    Go pro or go home
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    orangeitis wrote: »

Cryptic/PWE have failed miserably of on a fair few of the points in those videos, but also have a few positives as well...
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    hyefatherhyefather Member Posts: 1,286 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    iconians wrote: »
    Wow, that's some Grade-A ignorance-fueled hatred right there, I can't wait to skewer and roast your logic and consume it in a glorious feast.

ಠ_ಠ

How come when you open your mouth **** comes out. please don't answer than.
  • Options
    zeratkzeratk Member Posts: 409
    edited April 2014
    Without F2P probably the vast majority of players probably would leave. Have fun with your empty queues waiting half a day for a single STF to start. :P
    This is Crypticverse... :mad:
  • Options
    ayreon76#1360 ayreon76 Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    stf65 wrote: »
    World economic crisis. People spending less on luxury items like gaming made subscriptions not finacially viable. Major games going ftp just to stay solvent: lotro, ddo, swtor, ***, and so on. Even the mighty WOW has gone from 12.7 million to 7.8 million subscribers due to the world financial crisis, and this after they put their first 20 levels online for free.

FTP is the only viable model in this economy unless your game is extremely niche; like how eve caters to a specific player base.

i dont agree all of it but your right with 1 thing we have a crisis
    but the game industry is doing very well mostly on consoles and iphones

some games sold alot and i mean alot copies like grand teft auto V
    and there alot more that sold very good

the mmorpg market is a bit ups and dows some doing very well some are shutting down
    on the orther hand there way to many mmorpg most pll in the world dont even no anymore what to play

and stil korea china japan make more and more games -.-
    this year alot of new fresh mmorpg comming soon
    so players gone jump from 1 to a orther

and the older mmorpg losing alot of players again
    maby even shutiing down what can be very sad for the hard core fans of that game

and with star trek and SWTOR you must be a fan of that kind of game
    its not for every1 :)

but its stil amazing that those 2 games have a nice players base
    i play both becouse am a very big fan of sci fi

but time wil tell i always say you never no whats gone happen :)

sorry for my english
  • Options
    aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited April 2014

Actually , we also got 3 STF's , 1-2 PVP maps and sporadic KDF content .
    Also take a note that those STF's are still considered to be some of the best designed replayable content .
    Cryptic for a while now (since Season 7) has been pretending like STF's and FA's as the same thing ... but player numbers don't agree .
    Now last year in LOR alone we got around 30-35 missions or so with the romulan missions, the kdf missions, cross faction missions.

LoR was fun for those who like it .
    Those who hate the idea of the Republic had a lot less content to enjoy .

and we get system updates

To be monetized . (100$ for 3 ships ? Lol ...)

reps,

Grind .

holdings,

More Grind .

remastered

Some good , some waste of resources .

and battlezones

Places to Grind .

and pve que events on top

Do we have PVE queues that are not for the Grind ?

... all of the above has lead me to conclude that I am more then willing at this point to pay for content . Actual , high quality content .
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    aelfwin1 wrote: »
    ... all of the above has lead me to conclude that I am more then willing at this point to pay for content . Actual , high quality content .

Wrong conclusion! Why should anyone pay money for a Grind Game? Why should anyone pay money just for the hope to get Content?
  • Options
    aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    zeratk wrote: »
    Wrong conclusion! Why should anyone pay money for a Grind Game? Why should anyone pay money just for the hope to get Content?

I don't think you understood me .
    I meant that I am willing to pay for content expansion .
    Not 'hope' , not a 'cat in the bag' and not 'Grind' .
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    aelfwin1 wrote: »
    I don't think you understood me .
    I meant that I am willing to pay for content expansion .
    Not 'hope' , not a 'cat in the bag' and not 'Grind' .

Well, first the Content, then they payment! :D
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Guys it's simple economics. I mean good god why do you think cellphone companies are dropping contracts for the most part and offering the phone up front(and you can even finance it) and then going month to month for around 50 bucks? Because it makes them more money and they are more likely to get some money rather than no money cause many can't afford a contract.

Now slide over to gaming. It's the same deal. It's the way of getting some money rather than no money. Like mentioned Swtor for example would of gone under if it hadn't gone F2P. And look what it did for it. It brought it back from the grave and now it's doing quite well though it still needs to do some more work and well make it so you don't have to pay out the neck just to get basic stuff unlike STO.

Honestly STO has probably one of the Best F2P models out there. It even surpasses World of tanks. In STO you don't have to do a bunch of elite content like WoT to get free gold(zen) to get specific tanks or in this case ships. You can literally get everything except vet stuff for basically free.

I didn't, I didn't want to wait that long so I've spent some coinage of the realm on shines. And I do not regret it in the least. Granted by this point for online gaming I've probably equaled what I spent on my Xbox/Xbox360 and all games. But I've done the computer gaming over a lot longer spending period and got more gaming out of it.

F2P model is here to stay, and good luck trying to find a subscription based came that tries to reach the masses keeping itself going. Hell F2P kept this game alive. Had it not done it, probably would of gone under and we wouldn't be here sitting arguing about it.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    greyhame3greyhame3 Member Posts: 914 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    There's little difference between the goals of a developer of a free to play MMO and a subscription based MMO. The only difference is how they decide to make money from you.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    greyhame3 wrote: »
    There's little difference between the goals of a developer of a free to play MMO and a subscription based MMO. The only difference is how they decide to make money from you.

exactly...people seem to dwell in a paranoid state of "cryptic/PWE money grabbing conspiracy" simply because they can't seem to accept that they are responsible for the money they spend and/or can't get over the fact that STO is a casual game for casual players and not the ultimate star trek experiance they wish for.
    Go pro or go home
  • Options
    disposeableh3r0disposeableh3r0 Member Posts: 1,927 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Then you're only remembering Season 4, and completely dismissing Season 3,2 etc ... we got 3 FE Series within 6 months during that time, not mentioning new Klingon Missions etc etc ... please explain to me how Season 2 & 3 are smaller than 8 & 9 ...

Sure F2P might have been necessary for the game to survive, but the First Year of STO was pretty good ...

the old fe's barely hold a candle to the new ones.

SInce f2p at least as many origional story missions have been remade as fe's existed.

there have been more systems upgrades since f2p

romulans

the klingons became a real faction
    As a time traveller, Am I supposed to pack underwear or underwhen?

Not everything you see on the internet is true - Abraham Lincoln

Occidere populo et effercio confractus
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Lets make this easy. without this game going F2p and making a bundle of money, this game would of tanked. Period the end.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    tenkaritenkari Member Posts: 2,906 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    main reason STO went F2P is because of the new owners... none of their games have subscriptions of any type. out of all of PW's games, only STO and CO has this hybrid subscription/f2p system. even neverwinter is completely Free 30 play.

Had someone other than PWE bought Cryptic STO would likely still be on a subscription plan..... dunno about whether or not that means lockboxes would be in te game or not.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    the old fe's barely hold a candle to the new ones.
    The Breen ones are particularly bad in that regard. Aside from the cool puzzles, you could make a Foundry mission that does (almost) the same stuff. Not exactly the same, but close.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    No offense but I hate missions with puzzles. At least give players a choice not to do them, with a special xp/merit type reward for choosing to solve them.
    They weren't very hard puzzles. :P The game basically told you what to do. The part that made them cool was the way they played sounds and lights.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    stf65 wrote: »
    The 'regular' subscription model hasn't been used for years. WOW is the biggest practitioner of it and even they have their game store; and before they had a game store they'd put in-game items on cards that people would buy. Even today some of the pets on those cards cost hundreds of dollars on ebay. And they've always used expansion packs even though they were subscription.

You're dreaming of an era that is now gone; like the dodo and the stagecoach. :)

Even if all the games are now f2p, you cant compare games like Wow, with STO lol. Its stupid, the difference of quality is too big. In terms of stability and the company taking care of their customers. The difference is , while Blizzard will do everything they can to keep the game clean and stable, even being a f2p , cryptic wont. Thats the BIG and main difference.
  • Options
    edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    greyhame3 wrote: »

Exactly this.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    The difference is , while Blizzard will do everything they can to keep the game clean and stable,
    ahahah!!!.... Oh wait you're serious...

The #1 thing I remember back from when I played Diablo 2 is that Blizzard cared more about squashing exploits like map hack than anything else. Sure... they fixed bugs and rebalanced some of the more ridiculous things... some. But they also did things like cutting the amount of time common items remaine din loot drops... which made finding runes and gems a lot harder.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The easiest way to answer the question is:

If another game company suddenly made a good Star Trek game and it didn't have lock boxes would you play it?

The answer to this question is the same as the answer to the OP's implied question.
  • Options
    greyhame3greyhame3 Member Posts: 914 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Even if all the games are now f2p, you cant compare games like Wow, with STO lol. Its stupid, the difference of quality is too big. In terms of stability and the company taking care of their customers. The difference is , while Blizzard will do everything they can to keep the game clean and stable, even being a f2p , cryptic wont. Thats the BIG and main difference.
    WOW can be pretty unstable after a major release.