test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Theft: Revised Rep System

filmtrekfilmtrek Member Posts: 26 Arc User
edited April 2014 in Reputation System
So I spent money and time to advance through the reputation system, thinking that all of the traits I earned would be active all at the same time. That was the point of going through them, no?

The Dyson, Romulan, Omega, Nukara rep powers were active all at the same time.

But now I log in to Season 9 to discover that only 4 of each type can be active at any given time.

You don't sell something to someone and then change things around so that the item can't be used as originally specified. Don't care whether or not it's covered under the TOS, this is disgusting behavior.

No more $ from this user for "Imperfect World" until this theft is reversed and the reputation powers are all restored.
Post edited by filmtrek on

Comments

• Options
    solochrissolochris Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    im going to guess you DIDN'T read the bit about the new rep system and how you WOULDN'T be able to run all the skills, as it was not balanced enough, someone who just hit lvl 50 could not compete with someone who had been lvl50 for a while cause they had all the rep boosts and the new guy had none. the new system is to correct that injustice. I bet you are only complaining cause you where one of the guys taht made it difficult for ppl like me who hadnt got all the rep goodies and would masacre us in pvp. well i for one am glad you can't use them all and if you dont like playing fair so much go play WOW, you can cry all you want over there about how you cant play god on sto anymore.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    solochris wrote: »
    im going to guess you DIDN'T read the bit about the new rep system and how you WOULDN'T be able to run all the skills, as it was not balanced enough, someone who just hit lvl 50 could not compete with someone who had been lvl50 for a while cause they had all the rep boosts and the new guy had none. the new system is to correct that injustice. I bet you are only complaining cause you where one of the guys taht made it difficult for ppl like me who hadnt got all the rep goodies and would masacre us in pvp. well i for one am glad you can't use them all and if you dont like playing fair so much go play WOW, you can cry all you want over there about how you cant play god on sto anymore.

First, I never played PVP, only PVE. I prefer team play with friends.

Second, if the point is to be all "equal" why have any rewards at all? Just redistribute all the levels to everyone. Keep everyone at level 1. Give everyone a trophy. That will be fun! /sarc

No, this is wrong. Maybe they wrote about how they were going to change the rep system a few weeks ago, but they didn't write about it last year, or the year before. It's taking away something that was rightly earned before.

Again: no more $ for "Imperfect World."
  • Options
    kurtzroykurtzroy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Are people really that dense, to think these changes to the rep system is a good thing? It doesn't stop power creep, it doesn't promote usage of different trait builds, or any of the BS the devs said.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    This change is not to prevent current power creep, but future power creep caused by Reputation passives. Say I grind 15 reputations to Tier 5 and have a total of 60 reputation passives, content will be far too easy and I would get bored of the content since Cryptic always makes content that is possible to be completed by new level 50s and I would have an unfair advantage in PvP.

So either Cryptic would have to prevent players from doing their content through gating, raise the level cap, introduce a new difficulty level, or alter the reputation passives. The problem with a new difficulty level is that Cryptic would have to keep on introducing more and more difficulties levels as more and more reputations are added which causes the queues to be more fractured.

At least this change is happening now and not 2 years from now when it would be needed to fix the power creep caused by reputation passives.
  • Options
    ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited April 2014
    Not defending Cryptics actions here.

These changes have been an open discussion for the last 3 weeks. The reasons for the changes were explained in detail (surprising detail given previous efforts at communication).

And now you're complaining?
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    kurtzroy wrote: »
    Are people really that dense, to think these changes to the rep system is a good thing? It doesn't stop power creep, it doesn't promote usage of different trait builds, or any of the BS the devs said.

Agreed.

The only thing it's done is turn me off from STO altogether. What's the point of working to achieve anything in a game if, on a whim and a few week's notice on a forum, they summarily whisk it away?

No more $ for "Imperfect World."
  • Options
    edited April 2014

These changes have been an open discussion for the last 3 weeks. The reasons for the changes were explained in detail (surprising detail given previous efforts at communication).

Really? I can't complain because they were writing about this for three weeks?

Three weeks? I've been playing the game for over a year. Why didn't they warn me a year ago not to work so hard for all those rep powers, or plunk $ to help get through the rep levels?

This is a lame objection to my objection.

And honestly, the notion is so ridiculous I never would have thought that any game developer would suddenly wipe out the achievements that their user base had been building for so long.

• Options
    hunteralpha84hunteralpha84 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    My interpretation of the op:

Wwwwaaaahhhhhh *inhales* wwwwwaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh

Seriously though, dont know why you have "spent money" on the rep system for the passives. The reps are more about getting the gear rather than the passive abilities so I cannot understand why so many people are crying about this.

The change was put there for future passives otherwise when we have 50 odd reputation passives we'll basically be gods.

As a side note : The tactic of saying "I don't like X so cryptic isn't getting my money" is tiresome. Unless you are spending tens of thousands a month, threatening not to spend money is little more than throwing a tantrum...
  • Options
    bones1970bones1970 Member Posts: 953 Arc User
    edited April 2014

The problem i have, they almost always lie to us.
  • Options
    peetapipmacpeetapipmac Member Posts: 2,131 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    filmtrek wrote: »
    Really? I can't complain because they were writing about this for three weeks?

Three weeks? I've been playing the game for over a year. Why didn't they warn me a year ago not to work so hard for all those rep powers, or plunk $ to help get through the rep levels?

This is a lame objection to my objection.

And honestly, the notion is so ridiculous I never would have thought that any game developer would suddenly wipe out the achievements that their user base had been building for so long.

You have no defense here dude. They state in the ToS that they can make changes to content at any time and you agreed to that the first time you played the game. I'm sorry that you don't like this change (personally I love it) and I get that you feel cheated because you payed real world money to progress faster in your reps, but that was your choice to do.
    It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • Options
    architect13architect13 Member Posts: 1,076 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    My interpretation of the op:

Wwwwaaaahhhhhh *inhales* wwwwwaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh

Seriously though, dont know why you have "spent money" on the rep system for the passives. The reps are more about getting the gear rather than the passive abilities so I cannot understand why so many people are crying about this.

The change was put there for future passives otherwise when we have 50 odd reputation passives we'll basically be gods.

As a side note : The tactic of saying "I don't like X so cryptic isn't getting my money" is tiresome. Unless you are spending tens of thousands a month, threatening not to spend money is little more than throwing a tantrum...

Then stop the progression here, do not nerf. Why is that so difficult?
    Have you tried the new forum on your phone?
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    You have no defense here dude. They state in the ToS that they can make changes...

I already addressed the TOS in the first post, "dude." Imperfect World may be perfectly within its rights legally to take away achievements a player had previously earned.

This, however, does not make it morally right. It is still theft, legal or no.
    ... but that was your choice to do....

Quite so, and I wasn't arguing otherwise.

It is also my choice now to never to spend $ on Imperfect World games because I can't count on my $ purchasing anything of permanence.

It is also my choice to warn everyone in my fleet, my immediate circle, on forums, in blog posts, and everywhere else I can to never, ever spend money on Imperfect World products.
  • Options
    twofatnutstwofatnuts Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    So whats the point of doing reputations now? im using two reputations and all others can be removed and i wouldnt notice... and whats with the undine reputation there is nothing good there i only hope there is some special console but anyway i have no room for it.

Im using combinations of best gear avaible in game rep ,dil ,zen and lobi gear and i seriously doubt there is anything better in undne rep so im asking why nerf players when game progress?
  • Options
    decroniadecronia Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    It's not theft as you don't own anything as all property of the game belongs to PWE/Cryptic. The same was said in WoW when they changed the talent system, or lowered the price of mounts and so on. Games change that is the way they are.

I like the new system. On the fly changes to both rep and character traits and all for free unlike previously costing zen. the only thing I don't like is the removal of the MK X and XI gear.
  • Options
    edited April 2014

I and many others spent $ for various reasons; to get passives, get the actives (some of the rep systems provide actives like Dyson's resistance, etc., etc.

Who cares what you think the reasons should be to climb through the rep system?

So? I achieved passive and active powers, worked hard to get them, and now I can't use them. At the very least they could have preserved the earned achievements (by, for instance, adding enough slots to have all current passives and actives still useable).

The "tactic" is a tried and true for consumers of any product. Sorry you like New Coke to the point that you think it can't even be complained about. As for me, I think it's wretched and I will say so quite often.

Again: no $ for Imperfect World.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    decronia wrote: »
    It's not theft as you don't own anything as all property of the game belongs to PWE/Cryptic.

It is theft in the moral sense, in the practice, if maybe not in their TOS or maybe legally.

Money (and time, which also has value) was spent with the notion that achievements earned would, at the very least, be achievements kept. Many other players feel exactly the same I do.

While you may like New Coke, the players who actually spend money on the game (and make it fly for the ones who don't) can't trust Imperfect World any more.
  • Options
    blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I and many others spent $ for various reasons; to get passives, get the actives (some of the rep systems provide actives like Dyson's resistance, etc., etc.

Who cares what you think the reasons should be to climb through the rep system?

So? I achieved passive and active powers, worked hard to get them, and now I can't use them. At the very least they could have preserved the earned achievements (by, for instance, adding enough slots to have all current passives and actives still useable).

The "tactic" is a tried and true for consumers of any product. Sorry you like New Coke to the point that you think it can't even be complained about. As for me, I think it's wretched and I will say so quite often.

Again: no $ for Imperfect World.
    You can't use them? You mean you haven't even tried to slot them in your trait window yet to actually see if you can or can't use them, correct? Saying you "can't use them" without even trying to see if that's even the case invalidates your argument.
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
  • Options
    tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    You can't use them? You mean you haven't even tried to slot them in your trait window yet to actually see if you can or can't use them, correct? Saying you "can't use them" without even trying to see if that's even the case invalidates your argument.

You can only use four of them. The rest is waste.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • Options
    decroniadecronia Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    It is theft in the moral sense, in the practice, if maybe not in their TOS or maybe legally.

Money (and time, which also has value) was spent with the notion that achievements earned would, at the very least, be achievements kept. Many other players feel exactly the same I do.

While you may like New Coke, the players who actually spend money on the game (and make it fly for the ones who don't) can't trust Imperfect World any more.

Now you're stretching it on the moral sense one.

You do keep them, some have even been buffed, now you just have to make a choice, and they are free to change.

You can't speak for everyone sorry. Some will agree with you and some won't on both sides thse that pay and those that don't.
  • Options
    blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    tpalelena wrote: »
    You can only use four of them. The rest is waste.
    Really? the rest is waste, eh? It's more likely that they're in reserve when you want to switch traits depending on the situation... hey, isn't that what this system is supposed to do? See? no issues here.
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
  • Options
    tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Really? the rest is waste, eh? It's more likely that they're in reserve when you want to switch traits depending on the situation... hey, isn't that what this system is supposed to do? See? no issues here.

Why would I ever want to switch them? I already have the perfect loudout. The only reason to switch would be if they added some very op powers in a future rep.

Like "Ferengi Lobi Reputation tier 2 offensive power : "Steals zen, dilithium and ec from target"

Or iconian rep tier 2 offensive power : 15% Ap damage boost.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • Options
    section31agent#8506 section31agent Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Here is the real stickler... they continue to nerf stuff that veterans have earned. It started with prototype consoles and then they nerfed bridge officer skills. I remember a time when scramble sensors meant that the enemy WOULD NOT target you with thier weapons for a period of about 3 seconds. Then it progressed to the BO's themselves once upon a time Efficient Saurians were +5 to all power levels and stacked. So everybody ran at +25 to thier current power levels assuming they had 5 Saurian BOs. They nerfed the hell out of that and those of us that had spent literally hundreds of millions if not billions in EC on them got SCREWED.

Point is there is NO respect for veteran players NOPE, NONE, NADDA, Not even a shred. There is no advantage to spending time or energy developing your toons when the next season they nerf the hell out of you all over again. I have watched them lie and decieve players since day 1... ask me how my lifer rewards are? Hidden in the 16 pages of today's update was a nerf to the transphasic build. Ask the DEVS why they intentionally "Toned Down" the Mk XI Breen Transphasic Cluster Bomb? Because too many wiley vets opted out of the a2b faw/dem build that was feeding into a lockbox feeding frenzy. These vets had the audacity to attempt to use strategy to come up with something other than a cookie cutter I win build.

They have gone out of thier way to make non-lockbox ships completely and utterly useless at level 50. Even the so-called "Fleet" versions are of no consequence. Now these powers and traits I collected are the subject of the latest nerf.

Why not just end this madness by saying ok you got to level 50 you are "RETIRED" start a new toon? After all that is the best way to keep newbies the same as veterans.
  • Options
    cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    It's a "waste" in the sense they are not being active. For some, being in reserve is the same as not having them at all.

Which is a bit myopic ... they are there for you when you want to use them.

I'm beginning to believe some players just want to plug in a trait and forget about it. So "forcing" players to pick and choose traits to maximize their build-at-the-moment is tantamount to "work" ... which is not what a game should be.

Add the idea that grind = work, then anyone who "worked" for the traits they did (do) have feels justifiably upset.

For my part, these Rep passives are not making my gameplay better or worse; the time has been spent. I'd rather have fun so I'm no longer fretting over it.
  • Options
    voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Here is a quote from another thread. A bit harsh, but accurate.
    talonxv wrote: »
    Ya know what. I AM GLAD this is happening. No more mindless grinidng for the same old buffs from reps and just heaping more and more. Now players actually have to stop and THINK about what they are doing.

Wow, so terrible, you can't now have it all and just super build into what you want, you actually have to pick and choose to max a SPECIFIC build.

I think that leads to more builds and more customization, not less. Now people actually have to try out powers they get from grinding and find what suits them.

This was a GOOD move, not a bad one. If you're crying about losing it, you were relying on it too much.

Adapt or die.
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
  • Options
    atlmyklatlmykl Member Posts: 305 Arc User1
    edited April 2014

You keep saying something was taken from you, theft etc... NOTHING was taken away from you. You still have access to all of your earned traits. You just cannot use them all at the same time. You can pick and chose them according to the mission at hand. No different than having multiple boffs, you may have 67 boffs but you can only seat 4. Are they stealing from you and your boffs? No.

Developer: we are going to do this to allow more balance and finer tuned content
    Player: YOU KILLED THIS GAME!! YOU HATE MY CLASS/SPEC/ALL PLAYERS!!MINE MINE MINE!!!
  • Options
    whicky1978whicky1978 Member Posts: 110 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I agree with the majority here. The rep system was perfect. Those who played were rewarded. If you don't like PVP, don't play or find a matched opponent. I don't' t anybody that complained about the way it was before.. :(
  • Options
    shandypandyshandypandy Member Posts: 632 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    So I spent money and time to advance through the reputation system, thinking that all of the traits I earned would be active all at the same time. That was the point of going through them, no?

The Dyson, Romulan, Omega, Nukara rep powers were active all at the same time

Since about October last year, yes. Before that, there was no dyson rep. Nukara rep came in last april-ish. You've basicaly been able to have 2 more space passives than you now can for about a year, and 4 more for 6 months, ish.

Let's not forget, the game had no rep passives before November 2012.
    But now I log in to Season 9 to discover that only 4 of each type can be active at any given time.

You don't sell something to someone and then change things around so that the item can't be used as originally specified. Don't care whether or not it's covered under the TOS, this is disgusting behavior.

No more $ from this user for "Imperfect World" until this theft is reversed and the reputation powers are all restored.

Fair enough on this, you're entitled to an opinion.
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    agentkovalagentkoval Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I completely agree with the original poster. This new rep steals from people who have been playing for a long time, players who have paid their fair share to the game on the assumption that we would be treated fair. The new people who have not leveled up yet have not spend the hours and euros into the game as many others, they had the opportunity to gain all we did! I did not PVP very much mainly because I dont want to, but if these new people were at such a disadvantaged, to the extent they neee to steal from the rich and give to the poor, then maybe they should stay out of PVP until they level up. playing the episodes gave plenty of gear and ability for even a new player to hold their own.

the fact is that we spent hundreds of thousands of dil to buy store items and gear from the rep system, now they give thay stuff away for free for simply slotting a project! we forged the way, and now we are screwed over. we are nerfed on dilithum from stfs and the rep system rewards. we are now able to trait respec on the fly, what about people who bought respec tokens? where is the compensation for the people whi did it the hard way? normally we get something in return when they take away from us, but now we get slapped in the face.

</GoldSubscription> no more $ for imperfect world