test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

How would Thalaron Radiation affect the Borg?

tilartatilarta Member Posts: 1,799 Arc User
While I was smacking the 100th Borg in the face on Defera, I had a random thought:

What if you used a Thalaron Weapon on the Borg?

I know the Romulan NPCs use a weapon I've never been able to identify which uses Thalaron radiation and one shots anyone unfortunate enough to standing in the target area.

A particular vulnerability of the Borg is that specific energy forms which are highly destructive to organic tissue will terminate them.
Since Thalaron Radiation has this effect on all organic tissue, the Borg should be incredibly vulnerable to it.
It would also bypass their shields, since Thalaron radiation particles permeates the air and Borg shields don't stop attacks of that nature.

But realistically, if I was able to obtain a Thalaron ground weapon and use it on the Borg, I'd discover the problem I keep running into when I use a non-standard energy weapon.
The Borg adapt!
The one I have the most experience with is Cryogenics, either via Elite Cryo Full Auto Rifle or Cryoimbolizer module.
This is in direct contradiction to canon, because when the the Borg are exposed to freezing temperatures, their organic systems, prosthetics and borg nanites shut down.
Yes, I've heard the argument because the weapon uses energy, that's what the Borg are adapting to, but that energy is just lowering the temperature of the environment as a secondary effect.
So even if the Borg adapt to the energy pulse, it still doesn't change the fact that the air around them is dropping to sub-zero temperatures and freezing them solid!

I assume this is because the game treats all non-kinetic damages as energy, so the Borg
universally adapt, even when they should not!

And they adapt to electrical damage too apparently, I punched a Elite Tac drone to death, triggering my electrical passive attack and next thing I knew, they'd adapted to that as well!
But I have no canon information on how the Borg react to externally applied electrical shocks,
so I can't say if that's an abnormality or not.

I do know that if you short circuit Borg implants with an electrical shock, the Borg will pass out from the pain/system disruption, but those shocks were a result of someone tampering with the internal implants, not from an external source.

Bees like honey, they don't like vinegar.
Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
Post edited by tilarta on

Comments

• Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    This would happen
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Um, what is that meant to be?
    I kept getting an illegal message to update Flash player!

I hope it's an honest mistake on your part.
    Otherwise you're posting a malware link and well, TOS violations aren't amusing.

Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
  • Options
    supergaminggeeksupergaminggeek Member Posts: 616 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    tilarta wrote: »
    Um, what is that meant to be?
    I kept getting an illegal message to update Flash player!

I hope it's an honest mistake on your part.
    Otherwise you're posting a malware link and well, TOS violations aren't amusing.

Relax, you can take the aluminium hat off. It's a YouTube link to the Borg Queen getting her skin torn off by warp coolant.
  • Options
    denizenvidenizenvi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    LOL, he linked to Youtube. Maybe you really do have to update Flash ;)

I think it's conceivable that the Borg could adapt to something like compressed bolts of liquid nitrogen launched at them. Borg adaptation is clever; maybe they're heating up the bolt with their personal shields or otherwise dispersing it before it reaches their skin. And maybe they modulate an oscillating electric field that can prevent their being damaged by a particular electric voltage source.

That said, thalaron weapons in space don't seem to follow canon rules anyway. I figure our ships are equipped with an emergency radiation shield that draws its power from the SIF system, even if conventional shields are down. So a powerful thalaron blast wouldn't kill all the crew, but protecting from it would render a starship unable to hold itself together.
    Take a look at my Foundry missions!

Conjoined
    , Re-emergence, and . . .

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The Borg don't adapt if they all die at once. :D
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    phoeniciusphoenicius Member Posts: 762 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    the borg "adaptive" capacity its such a ridiculous type of "deus ex machina"(i suppose Diabolus ex Machina on the borg case), that i wouldn't be surprised they could also "adapt" to that with the help of some technobabble.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I think the Borg shielding has certain limitiations, that it's so geared to protecting them from energy weapons that it doesn't protect them from anything which is particle based, like Thalaron or cold, for example.

And to be honest, if the Borg had the ability to heat themselves up, they wouldn't have "died" in the aforementioned scenario I described.
    I think that's a particular achilles heel of the Borg, that they need to stay warm to function, as they once say onscreen that a Borg environment configures the heat level to go higher.

I don't fully understand it, but Thalaron radiation is unsually invasive.
    I assume if you target an enemy vessel, the radiation seeps through the shield, irradiates the hull and then kills the crew.
    The ship remains structurally sound, but everyone inside is dead.

And I just did update my flash before trying to view that video again!
    It kept saying it regardless.
    To explain why I don't trust flash upgrade messages now, I keep getting spammed with some bogus message to upgrade flash.
    I'm no expert, but I think someone slipped in some malevolent code that is causing it.
    I think it's based on websites, because it's not always predictable.
    And yes, STO forums is one of those websites triggering the fake upgrade message.

• Options
    tyranthraxisiityranthraxisii Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    question rattling my brain after seeing this post is....Are the borg shielded from EMP? and do different radioactive explosions cause different types of EMP, or is it always the same?
    I know the secret to killing borg being a computer tech for many years anyways.....
    Rub your socks on the carpet really good, then touch them with your finger.....they'll die.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=TREQGl54BU8&feature=endscreen
    I thought WoW's forums had angry elitist snobs, but I never could have imagined the level STO forums has.:confused:
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    question rattling my brain after seeing this post is....Are the borg shielded from EMP? and do different radioactive explosions cause different types of EMP, or is it always the same?
    I know the secret to killing borg being a computer tech for many years anyways.....
    Rub your socks on the carpet really good, then touch them with your finger.....they'll die.

The 24/25'th century uses ODN systems, Optical chips and Plasma based power distribution.

So in essence: Glass, Crystals and Ionized Gas.

Basically theres nothing that would be affected by EMP. Last time we saw traditional electronics was in Enterprise, and by the 22'nd century they've switched to Duotronics Wich seem to operate on similar, yet more effective than electronics.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Probably off-topic, but Interesting fact nevertheless if you didn't happen to know:

During the 'Republic Day' mission, if you'd try to thalaron blast the dormant Undine ships meant for target practice of the new torpedo - they activate, fly out of the thalaron's arc and start shooting at you.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    zipagatzipagat Member Posts: 1,204 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    It would be much the same as what happened in First Contact when Data sprayed them with warp core coolant, the organic matter would still be destroyed killing the drones as they are a cybernetic lifeform and need both their organic and robotic parts to function.
  • Options
    edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Well, since the Borg have organic parts, they will die just like any other species. The only difference will be, they will die slower.... but i dont see any difference. Adaptation has nothing to do with thalaron radiation lol.
  • Options
    zipagatzipagat Member Posts: 1,204 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Well, since the Borg have organic parts, they will die just like any other species. The only difference will be, they will die slower.... but i dont see any difference. Adaptation has nothing to do with thalaron radiation lol.

Personally I hate the way people including the writers have come to use adapting as a be all and end all for the Borg, its pretty clear that by first contact they were having a much harder time adapting to starship weapons at least and it showed that they can't magically adapt to a environmental hazard like the warp core coolant.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    zipagat wrote: »
    Personally I hate the way people including the writers have come to use adapting as a be all and end all for the Borg, its pretty clear that by first contact they were having a much harder time adapting to starship weapons at least and it showed that they can't magically adapt to a environmental hazard like the warp core coolant.
    Well, adaptation isn't instant. As the Queen and Seven demonstrated, Adaptation is an engineering problem the Borg have to find a solution for. It might be quick or it might not.

I figure the Borg would eventually adapt to Thalaron, but probably not fast enough to avoid a lot of casualties.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    johankreigjohankreig Member Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    On drone level, the only way i can see of adapting is by putfitting drones with basicly EVA suits, this wouldnt be very practicle but would protect them from said radiation, Their shielding systems, while able to adapt almost within mins of being struck, are only able to adapt to energy or energy frequencies, physical or particle based weapons have no concievable way of being adapted to as they are not all the same (my understanding of their shielding is that they are able to adapt to energy because each shot is the the same time after time, a sword on the other hand is going to be mollecularly different to another sword, so while they could possibly adapt to one sowrd another would slice through, the same goes for many particle based systems), Space vessels could be adapted by utilising radiation shielding or perhaps enhanced armour, again this is not an ideal sollution.

The Borg are more than likely not going to attempt to adapt to it, the weapon isnt in mass use and the loss of a few cubes to it is a drop in the collective ocean, they can always assimilate more folks to replace their losses.
    Jorhana Kreig: KDF, Tal'is: Romulan Fed, Shona'a: Romulan KDF, Johan Paul Kreig: Fed
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Well... the Thalaron generator uses some sort of forcefield to contain the radiation. I don't see why a borg couldn't imitate that.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    revandarklighterrevandarklighter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I would guess it would have the same effect on them the warp coolant in first contact. It would destroy the organic parts, and since Borg depend on those too it would kill the Borg.

And if forcefields could protect against that the scimitar in Nemesis wouldn't have been such a big issue...
  • Options
    tpalvacutpalvacu Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Illogical. Borg are Borg and can adapt to anything.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    tilarta wrote: »
    While I was smacking the 100th Borg in the face on Defera, I had a random thought:

What if you used a Thalaron Weapon on the Borg?

I know the Romulan NPCs use a weapon I've never been able to identify which uses Thalaron radiation and one shots anyone unfortunate enough to standing in the target area.

A particular vulnerability of the Borg is that specific energy forms which are highly destructive to organic tissue will terminate them.
    Since Thalaron Radiation has this effect on all organic tissue, the Borg should be incredibly vulnerable to it.
    It would also bypass their shields, since Thalaron radiation particles permeates the air and Borg shields don't stop attacks of that nature.

But realistically, if I was able to obtain a Thalaron ground weapon and use it on the Borg, I'd discover the problem I keep running into when I use a non-standard energy weapon.
    The Borg adapt!
    The one I have the most experience with is Cryogenics, either via Elite Cryo Full Auto Rifle or Cryoimbolizer module.
    This is in direct contradiction to canon, because when the the Borg are exposed to freezing temperatures, their organic systems, prosthetics and borg nanites shut down.
    Yes, I've heard the argument because the weapon uses energy, that's what the Borg are adapting to, but that energy is just lowering the temperature of the environment as a secondary effect.
    So even if the Borg adapt to the energy pulse, it still doesn't change the fact that the air around them is dropping to sub-zero temperatures and freezing them solid!

I assume this is because the game treats all non-kinetic damages as energy, so the Borg
    universally adapt, even when they should not!

And they adapt to electrical damage too apparently, I punched a Elite Tac drone to death, triggering my electrical passive attack and next thing I knew, they'd adapted to that as well!
    But I have no canon information on how the Borg react to externally applied electrical shocks,
    so I can't say if that's an abnormality or not.

I do know that if you short circuit Borg implants with an electrical shock, the Borg will pass out from the pain/system disruption, but those shocks were a result of someone tampering with the internal implants, not from an external source.

did you even watch nemesis at all? the answer is in the clue as to why the enterprise fought to say in a fight it was clearly no match for, and why data sacrificed himself, borg or not, anything organic will be vaporized by thalaron radiation.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    tpalvacu wrote: »

Why don't you actually try watching the show, and pay closer attention this time?

What the Borg have demonstrated the ability to adapt to is directed energy weapons. Period. And even that ability can still be overcome by attrition and brute force. Anything else, they apparently have to assimilate people with knowledge of how to deal with it.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    paxfederaticapaxfederatica Member Posts: 1,496 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    tpalvacu wrote: »

Except bullets from a TR-116A. :D
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Except bullets from a TR-116A. :D

Well that particular scenario has never been proven in canon... And still, one would think that if they can create personal forcefields that defend against space, they could adjust that to resist a certain amount of kinetic force as well. Even the tommy-gun from FC (Remember... Picard only shot 2 borg...)
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    anazonda wrote: »
    Well that particular scenario has never been proven in canon... And still, one would think that if they can create personal forcefields that defend against space, they could adjust that to resist a certain amount of kinetic force as well. Even the tommy-gun from FC (Remember... Picard only shot 2 borg...)

Holographic tommy-gun bullets impacting with the force of a real one. Kinetic energy. (Because how else is a force field supposed to feel like the real thing?)

Data beat Borg to death with his bare hands. Kinetic energy.

Worf chopped Borg up with a bat'leth. Kinetic energy.

Undine killed Borg with their claws. Kinetic energy.

Borg cubes rammed much smaller Undine bioships, resulting in mutual kills. Kinetic energy.

Seriously, how much more evidence do you need?
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    starswordc wrote: »
    Holographic tommy-gun bullets impacting with the force of a real one. Kinetic energy. (Because how else is a force field supposed to feel like the real thing?)

I've also seen a lot of phaser shots killing Borg.

I suspect that the bare hand / melee weapon thing is actually just possible because Borg shields would get in the way of everyday Borg Drone interaction if they blocked such physical contact. And even the Borg's own combat would be blocked - assimilation requires physical contact, too.

This also applies against the Undine - the goal of the Borg was to assimilate them, so they may just not stop trying, even if it's risky and failed so far. Drones are expendable, and one drone might just have the right trick to do it (basically "applied evolution").

What is more suprising is that the Borg usually (except the liberated Borg) don't use ranged weapons. Though maybe they don't because they want to assimilate enemies and a few lost drones is worth the risk of gaining additional insight.
    Considering the liberated Borg around Hugh and Lore had ranged weapons, it may be that we've never really seen the Collective engaged in a purely destructive attack.

Borg cubes rammed much smaller Undine bioships, resulting in mutual kills. Kinetic energy.

The fleet of ships in Sector 001 was capable of inflicting damage to the Cube, too, so I would say that you can produce energy at starship level to overcome their shields, and adaptation has its limits.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    If only the Borg had assimilated Romulans and a Scimitar, they would..... oh, wait, they did. Problem solved. Thalaron is on file ! :D
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    starswordc wrote: »

Lots...

It's, as you not surprisingly point out, not uncommon to see kinetic energy destroy borg, but as you may have forgotten, space is filled with different kinds of debris (from microscopic particles, to asteroid fragments and ship debris from destroyed ships). These seem to have no effect on borg ships... Yet: Kinetic energy.

When Borg encounter advanced species, they are probably 99.999% of the time met with regular energy weapons, and as such would most likely focus their efforts on resisting that, rather than expecting the enemy to just slam their fleets into the ships.

Because of this, it stands to reason to assume that their shields would first and foremost be designed to resist that kind of attacks, and as we have seen in BoBW, the borg shields DO allow a shuttle to pass through their shields.

Eventually, if species decided to start using kinetic energy as their primary weapon, the borg would have to adapt to that, and they would, but would likely sacrifice some of their resistance towards energy weapons in the process.

Now... "Why would they have to sacrifice one to get the other"? The answer to that is: I have no clue, but if they could adapt to everything at the same time, don't you think they would?

They travel to other galaxies and dimensional planes and are at least alomst a thousand years old... You'd think they have a defense against everything by now?
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2014
    I assume the Borg scan a energy weapons frequency after a few shots to some drones and match their shield frequency accordingly.

However surely they can't keep on doing that indefinitely else they would just set their shields to block everything from the start.

So if they suddenly adapted to MHz shots, couldn't you just set your phasers to GHz?
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I've also seen a lot of phaser shots killing Borg.

I suspect that the bare hand / melee weapon thing is actually just possible because Borg shields would get in the way of everyday Borg Drone interaction if they blocked such physical contact. And even the Borg's own combat would be blocked - assimilation requires physical contact, too.

This also applies against the Undine - the goal of the Borg was to assimilate them, so they may just not stop trying, even if it's risky and failed so far. Drones are expendable, and one drone might just have the right trick to do it (basically "applied evolution").

What is more suprising is that the Borg usually (except the liberated Borg) don't use ranged weapons. Though maybe they don't because they want to assimilate enemies and a few lost drones is worth the risk of gaining additional insight.
    Considering the liberated Borg around Hugh and Lore had ranged weapons, it may be that we've never really seen the Collective engaged in a purely destructive attack.

The fleet of ships in Sector 001 was capable of inflicting damage to the Cube, too, so I would say that you can produce energy at starship level to overcome their shields, and adaptation has its limits.

a lot of what is written here makes next to no sense.

some things in the galaxy you just cant overcome, borg cant adapt to what they do not know, thats why they assimilate to gain knowledge, even if the borg had a skin tight forcefield all one person with a tr rifle would need to do is to adjust the transport location from just outside the body to just inside and its game over. it would be like stating from your point of view that the borg can walk through molten rock or warp plasma, better still anti matter because they assimilated anti matter into the collective and understand its thoughts... dont be silly.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    artan42 wrote: »
    I assume the Borg scan a energy weapons frequency after a few shots to some drones and match their shield frequency accordingly.

However surely they can't keep on doing that indefinitely else they would just set their shields to block everything from the start.

So if they suddenly adapted to MHz shots, couldn't you just set your phasers to GHz?

Trying to bring our real world science and technology into this discussion is rather pointless. Star Trek employs space magic, things work because they are supposed to, there is nothing more to it. :D
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    a lot of what is written here makes next to no sense.

some things in the galaxy you just cant overcome, borg cant adapt to what they do not know, thats why they assimilate to gain knowledge, even if the borg had a skin tight forcefield all one person with a tr rifle would need to do is to adjust the transport location from just outside the body to just inside and its game over. it would be like stating from your point of view that the borg can walk through molten rock or warp plasma, better still anti matter because they assimilated anti matter into the collective and understand its thoughts... dont be silly.

Obviously there are ways to safely store and shield antimatter, otherwise most starships would explode before leaving space dock. Therefore, in theory, it's possible to have a personal anti-antimatter shield !

Heat is also energy, so of course, again in theory, it's possible to walk through molten lava.

Although I do think the Borg can't do it on the fly, and maybe not all modifications are possible without major overhauls.