test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

500zen Rename?

flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
Thought I might rename a character today, then saw the price of 500zen. Seriously? 500zen to rename a character? I know you guys have to fund this game, but the cost of 500zen for a simple name change is stupidly excessive.

What gives?
attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
Post edited by flash525 on

Comments

• anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I forgot that "service" even existed...
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    500 zen to reskill your character.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • altechachanaltechachan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I'm going to guess that it's based on how database intensive a player name change is. Unlike a ship or BOff name change or Costume name change, the player name change spills over to all ships, BOffs, FE text, character-bound item identification, accolades, reputation system progress, and probably a few more that I'm missing.
    Member since November 2009... I think.
    (UFP) Ragnar
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    flash525 wrote: »
    Thought I might rename a character today, then saw the price of 500zen. Seriously? 500zen to rename a character? I know you guys have to fund this game, but the cost of 500zen for a simple name change is stupidly excessive.

What gives?
    You act like 500 Zen is a lot of money. It is a bottle of Mountain Dew and two candy bars at the local gas station that you get without thinking about the cost of after buying gasoline. It is a large coffee at Starbucks. It is 8 days of Dilithium grinding; or 4 days and $2.50 - or whatever combination you choose to use.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    skollulfr wrote: »
    its a very low level service, and it costs 5 bucks.
    No. It is 500 Zen, which can cost a player ZERO dollars.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Thread moved as it has to do with c-store pricing.
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    500zen is not too much. And is pretty similar to others f2p when it comes to renaming.

500zen for reskilling is overpriced IMO. There should be a free respec for any new character, so you can respec once you hit the lvlcap.

Also, in this day and age, where you have a lot of MMO with double spec (or more), and sometimes free/cheap respec at will, the STO skill system is very lacking.
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    No. It is 500 Zen, which can cost a player ZERO dollars.
    No offense, but this is not an argument. They could sell a change name token for 10k zen, which would be incredibly overpriced, you would still be able to earn those zen without spending anything. Just like for any amount of zen.
    So, no matter the price, in the end, we can still have it for free, and thus, it's not overpriced.

Also, 500zen is worth 5$. No matter how you obtain them, that's 500zen value. No matter how much you pay, it's worth 5$. If you steal a car, it won't drop its value to 0, yet it was free for you.
    And yes, when you grind enough dil to trade for 500zen, you grinded for 5$ worth of dil.
    Why do I suddenly feel like cpt Obvious ?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The worst part of it? It doesn't even work. Your character is not properly renamed and the old name is actually retained in random places.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Go to SWTOR where you pay $30 for a guild name change, then we can talk about pricing :P.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • tpalvacutpalvacu Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    You act like 500 Zen is a lot of money. It is a bottle of Mountain Dew and two candy bars at the local gas station that you get without thinking about the cost of after buying gasoline. It is a large coffee at Starbucks. It is 8 days of Dilithium grinding; or 4 days and $2.50 - or whatever combination you choose to use.

Or the price of a happy meal. Thanks for this post. It Made sense now. It made me hungry. :eek:
  • anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    flash525 wrote: »

What gives?

The price is 350 zen for a rename, not 500, so it's better than you thought.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • dkratascodkratasco Member Posts: 585 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The worst part of it? It doesn't even work. Your character is not properly renamed and the old name is actually retained in random places.

Have you also change your first, middle and last name in character window ("Edit record" button)? Some of information to dialog is take from there.