test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

STO has ended up being a endless faction grind.

2»

Comments

• Options
    vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited April 2014

The only way to remove the grind from video games is to allow only 1 character per account and make all the content pve non-repeatable.

That only applies to static content.

If you played swat or left for dead you get an idea what is possible with dynamic content.

Especially in a space game "infinite" comes into play.

Imagine spawning on a map, pvp or pve or exploration where everything spawns randomly.

Different background, different planets, moons and debris alone can make it appear brand new everytime though you just rotating themes.

With dynamic spawns and dynamic objectives you get ever changing gameplay and you are no longer playing based on memory.
    You never know what is going to happen and be in constant suspense keeping you on your toes.

Throw in "weather effects" that impact your ship, which is already in the game, and you get a more star trek feel, meeting the unknown and being in danger.

All this just to say playing based on memory is archaic and outdated.
  • Options
    stelakkhstelakkh Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    mhirtesc wrote: »
    PE Needs to hire some of the show's original writers to come up with new content. If we're going to be doing all of these "sequels" of past Trek baddies making a comeback, we may as well have their creators doing the storyline. That idea alone would make the game feel more like continuing where the shows/movies left off.

I suggested this four years ago, and referenced the fact that original writers were writing for several fan-based Star Trek web series productions.

We see where that suggestion went.

They just don't care. They never have. They never will.
    Actual Join Date: August, 2008
  • Options
    notapwefannotapwefan Member Posts: 1,138 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Grinding is your destiny

Grind

GRIND

GRIND!!!!!!!
    Grinding for MkIV epic gear?
    Ain't Nobody Got Time for That

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    There hasn't been any real content worth doing since the original Borg STF's 4 years ago,

Someone clever here will need to explain to me the difference between "a raid" and "grind" .
    See , the original STF's were long raids .
    They were intended to be long raids .
    They were designed to be long raids .

Along comes the ax and now they are "mini-raids" .

Now the thing that differentiates them from the "grind" is that throughout the 4 years of STO , this PVE content was one of the few that actually built communities .

And to me that is the hallmark of an MMO .
    Your content is successful if it has a community around it . Be that crafting , be that PVP , be that the Foundry , be that whatever .

Now take a note at what did not create a community in STO :

FE's , Nukara/Defera/Dyson ground , CE .
    In short anything that either has no replayability , any variable to replayability or just any long term "fun" .

Now unlike the many Everlasting Know-it-all's , I'm not sure why this is or what can be done to make the "grind" seem like less of a grind .

What I don know is that without the STF's , I would have left this game a long time ago , despite being a Trekkie . (thus I occasionally ask for the long versions of it back and "cry" over the seeming fact that the only thing that we're likely to see of "The Children of Khan" STF is the uniform that is being given away by ARC) .

I also know that the list of complaints against the old STF's is long and they usually involve the name "Gozer" .
    What I also noticed however is that since that guy left Cryptic , "fun" grind (or raid like content) went out the window .

And we have what we have .
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    bitemepwe wrote: »
    Actually grinding is useless as the item or reward for the grind will eventually be nerfed to placate those who did not bother to grind.
    Why work so hard just to lose it before they introduce new grind that will end up being nerfed before the next new grind arrives?

This.

When the expansion comes out with Mk13 gear, watch as Cryptic hands out our current Mk12 gear, to newbies, for free... :rolleyes:
    stelakkh wrote: »
    I suggested this four years ago, and referenced the fact that original writers were writing for several fan-based Star Trek web series productions.

We see where that suggestion went.

They just don't care. They never have. They never will.

That would require investment that does not immediately equal dollar signs, therefore wont happen.
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    captainfarstarcaptainfarstar Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    aelfwin1 wrote: »
    Someone clever here will need to explain to me the difference between "a raid" and "grind" .
    See , the original STF's were long raids .
    They were intended to be long raids .
    They were designed to be long raids .

And we have what we have .

I wouldn't ever consider STF's raids even when they were first released, they were single group dungeons.

Raids to me are multiple group encounters such as Crystalline Entity boss events.

The problem with STO is that badly designed from the start with the whole kit system being the center of the problem.

The game is limited by it's design and always will be.

Why is there no free roaming SWG style planets, where is the exploration and other aspects of Star Trek which make what it is, what we have is watered done collection of instances and very little else to keep people interested.
  • Options
    nazelnagnazelnag Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Grinding is OP, plz grind

they'r going to change rep system so you only have a few active powers now.
    so grind won't be op anymore :)
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    grinding is UP, plz buff.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    puttenhamputtenham Member Posts: 1,052 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    ashkrik23 wrote: »
    They are not going to hire a writer when they have one already. The writing does not always make the mission fun.

You could have an amazing story, but terrible gameplay making the story less enjoyable. Same thing vice versa.

I agree, writing wont make the missions anymore/less fun.. but .... cryptic should consider hiring someone who is a good writer.. like I have said before.. cryptic hired Christine Thompson, who I cant TRIBBLE on too much cause she has published star trek novels, and I have not, but.. out of all the sto novelists out there, she is at the bottom of the barrel.. thus, ill imagine she was the cheapest..

there in lies what the core problem with the game is.. after perpetual went belly up, everything turned into a hire the cheapest option fest.. cryptic was hired, what was crazy about that was they were a no name company, had one game out, (which in its own rights was a failure seeing as though it was supposed to be a marvel game, and marvel pulled out because it wasn't what they wanted)..

Atari just went to town sacrificing quality, for cost.. the studio got no support as far as content developers. when you have a game with a set release date, and the company making it goes belly up, and you still want it to release on that release date, you don't hire a small company, and then tell them to reboot the game from scratch with a team of 20 people..

sure, the team has grown since then.. but if cryptic is really so great, why are they not growing like other studios.. why, when the studio desperately needs boots on the ground to keep up with the market and the customers wants and needs, do they simply not hire.. sure, they have hired, but they are still one of the smallest gaming develpers out there, with one of the largest ip's.. backed by one of the largest gaming developers on the planet.. there is no reason that cryptic, and each of its individual teams shouldn't get the staff it needs to stay healthy..

they keep saying how awesome sto is doing, and how awesome cryptic is doing. but they only hire a guy here and there.. the game is being left behind.. the player base is shrinking.. not dramatically, but it is.. I play a lot, and I have noticed instances are smaller, and fewer, its taking longer (every day and night) to que up for stuff. and I have characters in several of the higher fleets, and they are all seeing more and more inactive people.. they need to make changes to keep up with the industry. there is already other star trek games in the works, taking pot shots at sto, (not by name, but when you read the articles, they are all basically saying they are not gonna be lazy,and do the things people are asking for). cryptic can no longer afford to sit and waite.. its time to sh*t or get off the pot..

this includes increasing story content.. actually making exploration, the core foundation of star trek, something you can do in the game.. a year and a half ago, devs started talking about having disable options, and less shoot and kill missions.. well. that is all we have gotten since they said that..

they keep saying more stf's, though we never see them. they keep saying stuff, but nothing happens.. all we get is copy and paste bs missions..

just because the player base is playing the only thing left to do in the game, doesn't mean we like it cryptic.. metrics in this game mean spit.. theres no real options for us to play, to show you one way or the other..
  • Options
    chiyoumikuchiyoumiku Member Posts: 1,028 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Right, because Omega marks from Borg STF's isn't grinding. :rolleyes:
    Sekhmet_Banner.jpg
    Defending The Galaxy By Breaking One Starfleet Regulation After The Next.
  • Options
    decroniadecronia Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    chiyoumiku wrote: »
    Right, because Omega marks from Borg STF's isn't grinding. :rolleyes:

If you enjoy them then no it isn't. Grind implies something that is not enjoyable, to me anyway. Increase the content and storyline and you may find the "grind" is not so bad if you enjoy some parts of it.

I'll have to go to WoW for an example, though this is going back abit. I hated the raptor mount with the bounce, so I tried to get my rep up with Org for the wolf. It felt like a godawful grind because it was not enjoyable to me.

However when I got to the level to play AV, I didn't even notice that I had gotten to exalted and so could buy the frost wolf mount. I only noticed it a couple of days later and bought the mount. That was because I enjoyed the playing of that BG. Don't even get me started on getting the rep needed for the agility enchants.
  • Options
    xlocutusofborgxxlocutusofborgx Member Posts: 1,373 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Gotta admit, devs have been "from my view" using the same ideas over and over again. To be honest s9 really looks like s8 just 8472 theme. New rep, and new battlezone. Would be nice if they thought out of the box and made more interesting, enjoyable content. Pretty sad that you have to make content to bore the hell out of your customer base.. :rolleyes:
    borgsignaturecopy2-zpse8618517.png
    R E S I S T A N C E - I S - F U T I L E
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    decronia wrote: »
    If you enjoy them then no it isn't. Grind implies something that is not enjoyable, to me anyway. Increase the content and storyline and you may find the "grind" is not so bad if you enjoy some parts of it.

I'll have to go to WoW for an example, though this is going back abit. I hated the raptor mount with the bounce, so I tried to get my rep up with Org for the wolf. It felt like a godawful grind because it was not enjoyable to me.

However when I got to the level to play AV, I didn't even notice that I had gotten to exalted and so could buy the frost wolf mount. I only noticed it a couple of days later and bought the mount. That was because I enjoyed the playing of that BG. Don't even get me started on getting the rep needed for the agility enchants.
    Yeah that sounds like a typical Blizzard game all right. The good gear is stupidly hard to find or, in a few rare occasions, is made out of stuff NooBs can find... the middle ground is scarce. :(
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    ashkrik23 wrote: »
    This forum is boring! Why don't they ever change it?

We always talk on here, why don't we ever change the activity?

Your name colors are boring, why don't you ever change it Askray?

These life-long mysteries may never be solved.

Actually! I've requested that our name colors change to pink or something more interesting. I was denied :(

As for changing the forums...there is an update coming ;)
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    askray wrote: »
    As for changing the forums...there is an update coming ;)
    oh lord...it better not TRIBBLE up anyone's join dates or turn the background a god-awful shade of grey like the last 2 did

bad enough i had to download a stylish plugin to get the background back to the black color i was used to once already - i don't want to have to do it again
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    decronia wrote: »

It doesn't matter if Grind is enjoyable or not to be a Grind. Grind is doing the same content numerous times to get a specific reward. Of course, there is fun grind and excruciatingly painful grind, but Cryptic usually releases enough types of grinds for the same rewards that players can usually make it a fun grind or tolerable grind.
  • Options
    decroniadecronia Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    starkaos wrote: »
    It doesn't matter if Grind is enjoyable or not to be a Grind. Grind is doing the same content numerous times to get a specific reward. Of course, there is fun grind and excruciatingly painful grind, but Cryptic usually releases enough types of grinds for the same rewards that players can usually make it a fun grind or tolerable grind.

It's a matter of perception and I was talking personally. To me if the content is enjoyable it is not a grind. Even with the limited content, they do seriously need to add more and a grater variety, it is not as bad as when I had to get Furbolg rep for agility enchants in WoW. Now that was a grind.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    the grind doesnt concern me, its the lack of real content. its happened 3 times now, 1 episode per content run. makes me wonder if PWE are actually into their own game any further. they go to all the trouble to build it up, create the content but fail to back up it up with real substance which are the missions. now the devs wont care one iota about this comment, so thats that.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.