test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What it means not to listen. yes you Cryptic.

Comments

• Options
    catliketypingcatliketyping Member Posts: 611
    edited April 2014
    The Mirror grind was dumb.

I thought the Dyson thing was a great move in being more modern MMO-like (with DINOSAURS!) because instancing is so 1990s, and dynamic stuff is the new wave in MMO design.

And then they had to go back to grind with the Mirror event.

Whoever did the Dyson stuff, they are to be commended, though. People might joke about dinosaurs, but the essential design was good. Really good.
    Nessia (KDF Sci)
    IKS Korrasami (Fleet B'rel Bird of Prey Retrofit T5-U)
  • Options
    sunseahlsunseahl Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Making event grinds is how Cryptic will try to "compensate" for the drop off in players...

This is STILL not first month in which there isn't some major couple-of weeks long grind (Season 9 is the 22nd).... wait for that month to come along and for the data to come in about the drop in players daily because no grind/no hourlies

Then wait for the data to come in further on the people not playing more than 3 hours a day because the new rep has only 3 runs of hourly rep XP before becoming another dili grind.

By Cryptic's own admission they CONSTANTLY have to be running some kind of grindy event to keep us playing and it's only becoming obvious now because of the lockouts/removals/ham-fisted event bugs.
    Member of the "Disenchanted"
    We don't want what the Feds have. We want the equivalent. We want fairer treatment. Concern, desire, greed to some extent, and passionate belief that the enough people would buy KDF items to make it worth Cryptic's while.
  • Options
    blakes7tvseriesblakes7tvseries Member Posts: 704 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I work at a DEV company, DEVs write code they don't write excitement.
    Often DEVs are told this what we need X,Y, and Z.
    They produce X, Y, and Z it doesn't not mean the program has it they people want it.
    Plan and simple business partner needs to be go the between for the DEVs and users.
    This means listening to how it's used, where button need to be moved so it more natural.
    DEVs often push back saying you have X,Y,And Z.
    The users say it clunky, it's bugging, we need this to work after that.
    What we players see is not what Cryptic sees.
    We see the need for more content weekly and monthly.
    We all want more people to play and the game to thrive.

Making money with X,Y, and Z but reading the forums it's not what people want.
    I just don't think the go between knows what's cool, what players want.
    They already have the answer clone the STFs mission to similar missions with different bogey men.
    Heck my fleet and I would love to talk with DEVs about what players want.

It's simple someone just has what's cool all wrong, and needs some help.
    download.jpg
  • Options
    a3001a3001 Member Posts: 1,132 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    dark4blood wrote: »
    ^Yes but a Cook who can't take criticism of by his customer ends up on Chef Nightmare...

Rather, the cook only listens to those who are "yes" people.
    Rejoice JJ Trek people....

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10052253

Why are you not rejoicing?
  • Options
    redsnake721redsnake721 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    If Cryptic would release a Space and Ground set with kit and a Wespon set ie. Dual beam, Beam Array, Single, Dual, Dual Heavy Cannon and a Torp that is tied to crafting. Meaning it is a deep crafting investment with the needed items being locked behind Doff chains and Patrol missions and Daily PVE missions etc. Once you get the sets or the weapons you can change them via continued crafting, Change the mods, say via a crafting project change a Beam Array from ACC2 DMG2 to ACC 3. Have different unique set bonsus unlocked with crafting. It would be a universal set that can be changed to fit what the ship and player want. This would be the never ending ever changing always evolving aspect of the game that would keep players busy for months and months.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,366 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I'm just a bit confused by the premise of the thread. If you truly believe Cryptic never, ever listens to the playerbase, then what is the purpose behind an elaborate series of complaints?
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    I'm just a bit confused by the premise of the thread. If you truly believe Cryptic never, ever listens to the playerbase, then what is the purpose behind an elaborate series of complaints?

To yell at the abyss? Iunno. :confused:
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    To yell at the abyss? Iunno. :confused:
    But if you yell into the abyss, does not the abyss also yell into you?
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    drasymdrasym Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited April 2014

literally LOL at this.. +1
  • Options
    edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited April 2014

There is no sense. You right, and i said it thousands of times in a lot of posts. But people doesnt care, eventually they will think that cryptic will pass by and take something in consideration lol. Is the same with all the "my ideas for.." posts around there. Or the complains about the new rep system, or anything else. And as i said millions of times, the population of the forums is not even 25-30% of the total population of the game. So.. :cool:
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    But if you yell into the abyss, does not the abyss also yell into you?

That explains quite a bit actually. :D
  • Options
    grayfoxjamesgrayfoxjames Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    In all fairness, we the players, don't have all the exact numbers that Cryptic has so we're debating things without having all the information. I think we need to remember that while it is a free-to-play model it is still a for-profit business and I'm sure they base many of their decisions on Zen sales and purchases (wouldn't you?).

Also, there are thousands and thousands of players who play the game, each one with their own ideas and demands of how the game should be run, played, etc. I do think Cryptic listens to its gamers, just that there are so many that it isn't always exactly what "you" or "I" we're looking for.
    Fleet Admiral Thomas Winston James a.k.a. The Grayfox
    Fleet Leader of:
    Liberty Task Force/Liberty Honor Guard
    Pride of the Federation/Pride of the Empire
    Liberty Guardians
    U.S.S. Liberty, NX-42813-L, T-6 Legendary Odyssey Class

Game Handle: Grayfox@GrayfoxJames
    Armada (STOFA Member Fleet): https://www.libertytaskforce.com/stofa
    Discord: https://discord.gg/bGp9N7z
    Twitter: STOFA@LTFGrayfox
    Email: CSDynamix@Hotmail.com
  • Options
    edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Welcome to the internet. :P

Where everyone is an expert who knows more about what's going on than the people actually doing the work, yet the experts can't back up anything they claim to have knowledge of.

In this case, im pretty sure you dont need to be an "expert" to see how bad cryptic is doing things. And you dont need to be an "expert" to see that almost none of the reasonable petitions of players in these forums are fullfiled. And you dont need to be an "expert" to see that cryptic only cares about money, money and money.
  • Options
    drasymdrasym Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    In this case, im pretty sure you dont need to be an "expert" to see how bad cryptic is doing things. And you dont need to be an "expert" to see that almost none of the reasonable petitions of players in these forums are fullfiled. And you dont need to be an "expert" to see that cryptic only cares about money, money and money.

"how bad cryptic is doing" that may be your belief, but i see no facts presented. Anecdotal allusions to "reasonable petitions" is not evidence. Its not even specific enough to agree or disagree with. Its a statement just vague enough to sound reasonable without actually saying anything. I could easily say "from what I have seen they are responding to customer suggestions and complaints in a reasonable manner" That also sounds reasonable.. and means nothing either. At the end of the day ANY mmo has only one measure of success. Are they making enough profit to stay online. Watching the bottom line is not (as you seem to be implying) a bad thing.. they HAVE to worry about money, if they don't make a profit there won't even be a game for you to complain about.
  • Options
    edited April 2014

>_>

<_<

I think Cryptic is doing very well all things considered.
  • Options
    vhex333vhex333 Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Cryptic needs to capitalise on the OCD of MMO players. Repitive grinding the same content does not work. But a deep crafting system would. If you had to do every patrol mission in every sector to find one item to add to another item that took you a week to find only to have to give it to a Doff that you had to get from a 10 mission chain. Then if he crits the crafting job you get a Prototype Schmatic. Then you need to take that and give it to an Officer on your Fleet Starbase that you leveled up and unlocked the ability to have an advanced R &D dept. Then you can greate ulta-rare XII ACC x3 antiproton DCH's you have been wanting.

Thats how I would like STO to release the end game gear. You have to explore, invistagate and unlock People , places, items, abilites that will let you craft the really good stuff.

I think this idea is very interesting. At least have it as another way to get unique items on top of the rep grind.

Adding more ways to progress is great in my books. The above suggestion would work very well if it were STO's version of WoW's legendary quest line I mentioned in another post.
  • Options
    revandarklighterrevandarklighter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014

While I generally agree: A company not caring about "money money money" is doing it wrong. This is not a social service provider.
    The problem is that cryptic might care about money but isn't that good in earning it.... but showing off the about 1000 flaws in that is beyond the scope of this discussion...

And its sometimes hard to see the reasonable petitions between all those unreasonable ones.
    >_>

<_<

I think Cryptic is doing very well all things considered.

No they aren't. Especially not recently....
    Fanboys might bury their head in the sand and pretend the drastically decreasing player numbers are not there unless the devs tell them...even if they are alone on the server.... that doesn't make that problem go away.
  • Options
    gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    No they aren't. Especially not recently....
    Fanboys might bury their head in the sand and pretend the drastically decreasing player numbers are not there unless the devs tell them...even if they are alone on the server.... that doesn't make that problem go away.

That's your opinion. We're all entitled to an opinion. Where I might say that Cryptic's doing well, you're entitled to call me a liar and tell me that Cryptic's doing horrible.

But, until we can see some sort of proof, we can just keep here calling people names and seeing who can get the loudest until the cows come home.
  • Options
    ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited April 2014
    bergins wrote: »
    Sorry, stopped reading after 1st complaint.

How do you know less people are playing? Even if you are right, how do you know WHY less people are playing?

Wait, did Cryptic share their metrics with you?!?

As fleet admin I have access to last log-in dates of my fleetmates. I know the frequency of most of our players as I am a daily player myself.

Simple math. Fewer are logging in on a regular basis.

Those number began to slump the day they took dailies away.

Even our hardcore players are staying away longer.
  • Options
    vladdievladdie Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    All that proves is that you are bad at fleet management and is hardy representative of the entire game. My fleet, in comparison, is stronger than it has been at any time since Beta.
    Barihawk.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    vladdie wrote: »
    All that proves is that you are bad at fleet management and is hardy representative of the entire game. My fleet, in comparison, is stronger than it has been at any time since Beta.

Marked assumptions by someone who has one fleet to measure his small view of the world.

Vladdie... how is noting absent friends bad fleet management? We're a completed fleet T5/ T3 across the board.

Im not saying the game is doomed, not by a long shot. I just noted the player base from my observation point has declined slightly more that I expected.
  • Options
    roadghostroadghost Member Posts: 394 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    As fleet admin I have access to last log-in dates of my fleetmates.

Simple math. Fewer are logging in on a regular basis.

Those number began to slump the day they took dailies away.

Even our hardcore players are staying away longer.

By that token, using my fleet as an example the game should have been dead about three years and five months ago, because that's when my fleetmates started dropping like flies. Now there are two of us active out of about 30 active at the peak.

In a very non scientific poll, I just looked at the PVE queues. Elite Space STF's have between 40 and 60 people playing. CE has 55. Elite Ground STF's have 5-15. I think those numbers have been pretty constant for the past 6 months or so that I've been doing PVE pugs again. And up a some from when everyone was livng in MI.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I don't discount your observations. I just mentioned mine.

Make whatever you want of that.
    roadghost wrote: »
    In a very non scientific poll, I just looked at the PVE queues. Elite Space STF's have between 40 and 60 people playing. CE has 55. Elite Ground STF's have 5-15.

Observations change with the time of day.

My only point here is that I'm looking forward to the new season, and hopefully new fleet holdings and more activity.
  • Options
    greyhame3greyhame3 Member Posts: 914 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Problem I have with people claim game population is going down is I've seen those claims made when a game was still climbing in the number of subscribers.

Doesn't mean you may not notice a drop in who you play with though.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    greyhame3 wrote: »
    Problem I have with people claim game population is going down is I've seen those claims made when a game was still climbing in the number of subscribers.

Doesn't mean you may not notice a drop in who you play with though.

Very true.

Subscribers are not a benchmark by which a game is considered successful. How much money it generates is. According to Cryptics annual report, it's profitable.

I encourage them to continue in that direction ;)

Anyways. It will pick up after the Season launches.. scratch that... after the servers come back online.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Most of my toons aren't even in fleets. They make no difference to my playstyle. So I wouldn't een show up in your "surveys".

And no matter when I've logged in, I have never found myself alone in a server, nor in an instance, save (obviously) for solo missions. Even Iota Pavonis tends to be crisscrossed by warp trails at all hours!
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png