test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Heartbleed Bug and PWE Accounts

dauntlessf05dauntlessf05 Member Posts: 268 Media Corps
I was wondering if this new bug "Hearbleed Bug" had any effect on the accounts here. IIRC, openSSL is used, which is what this bug effects.

Link here -> http://blog.lastpass.com/2014/04/lastpass-and-heartbleed-bug.html
Tl;DR of this link "The Heartbleed bug is a vulnerability in the OpenSSL cryptographic library that allows stealing of information normally protected by the SSL/TLS encryption used to secure the Internet."

You can check if sites using OpenSSL have been pactched -> https://lastpass.com/heartbleed/

I did a search for www.perfectworld.com and got the following result:

Unable to get HTTP headers for www.perfectworld.com
Site: www.perfectworld.com
Server software: Not reported
Vulnerable: Possibly (might use OpenSSL)
SSL Certificate: Possibly Unsafe (created 9 months ago at Jul 17 04:15:40 2013 GMT)
Assessment: Wait for the site to update before changing your password
Check out my STO Cinematic Videos: ZEFilms Youtube Channel
Follow me on Twitter: @ZEFilms_STO
Post edited by dauntlessf05 on

Comments

• Options
    silverfaustxsilverfaustx Member Posts: 262
    edited April 2014
    i would also like to know
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2014
    capnkirk4 wrote: »
    Probably because this game is already buggy enough to make most people's hearts bleed.

ROFL, nice.

Anyway, in all seriousness, can a dev chime in and say if Perfect World is affected?
  • Options
    silverfaustxsilverfaustx Member Posts: 262
    edited April 2014
    u all should change passwords on steam. cause that was affected

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/heartbleed-bug-gaming-services-affected/
  • Options
    tk79tk79 Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    One report tool says sto.perfectworld.com and sto-forum.perfectworld.com are fixed/unaffected.

They might use the same OpenSSL version as the rest of the servers (I hope). But dev confirmation would be nice before I change my password.
    U.S.S. Eastgate Photo Wall
    STO Screenshot Archive

• Options
    askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    unikon wrote: »
    They're probably still checking its thousands of servers.
    Most likely the biggest thing would be the account server, not the individual servers that just pass game data (which encrypted or not isn't going to do anyone a lick of good :P)

As I can't really provide full assurances, as I'm not actually at PWE office so I can't go smack a web guy..was Wednesday though great office got SWEET stuff there.. anywho, my best guess is the data is fine and dandy as all user information is encrypted not just with SSL but other encrypted measures at the database.

That said, I'm not a definitive authority so take my knowledge as you will :)
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• Options
    tsabrocktsabrock Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Ugh, I've been spending all day going over my affected accounts on STO and other places, and researching Heartbleed in general.

Since I've seen no official response from anybody important, I've changed my account info as a precaution.
  • Options
    mindshadow999mindshadow999 Member Posts: 241 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    tsabrock wrote: »
    Since I've seen no official response from anybody important, I've changed my account info as a precaution.

The problem with Heartbleed is that it's an ongoing vulnerability. Changing your account info doesn't help - it's just putting the horse back in a barn with an open door.

If you're concerned about a service potentially being vulnerable, the statements which would be helpful from the service in question is either 1) "We were not running a vulnerable version of the SSL software" or 2) "We were running a vulnerable version and have patched it".

Until either event happens, changing your account info doesn't actually help, since your new info can just be re-compromised as long as a software version with the Heartbleed vulnerability is still running. Unless you're dealing with something like Gmail where you can turn on two-factor authentication or something like that, which doesn't matter if the data leaks.
  • Options
    confedinblueconfedinblue Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    There is a tool out there that can test websites for the Heartbleed vulnerability. The website is: http://filippo.io/Heartbleed. Just enter the URL to the website you wish to test.

Steam was already confirmed vulnerable above--but that does not directly impact Star Trek Online, since that is a separate login. Steam simply automates the login, and if you're like me, you don't use Steam, so you really don't care.

The login for the forums uses this link:

https://account.perfectworld.com/login

I tested this and it is NOT affected by Heartbleed--or they've fixed it if it was. The login for Star Trek Online is probably different, and unfortunately I'm not at home right now so I cannot find out what the actual link is to test for, but this should be enough information for someone who knows what they're doing to figure it out and find out.

The Gateway (gateway.startrekonline.com) uses https://auth.startrekonline.com/. I tested this, but it uses an implementation that the tool doesn't yet work with, so I can't confirm whether or not the gateway is affected.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    confedinblueconfedinblue Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    tsabrock wrote: »
    Ugh, I've been spending all day going over my affected accounts on STO and other places, and researching Heartbleed in general.

Expanding on mindshadow999 above--it's pointless to change anything on your accounts until you know that:

1. the site WAS affected
    2. the patch has been applied.

Until the patch on an affected site is applied--your information is just as vulnerable as before. Changing the information before the patch is applied only gives you a false sense of security. The ONLY solution, if you are that concerned, is to avoid the site altogether until the patch is applied.

Perfect World and Star Trek online might not be affected, but they would be very prudent to make an announcement one way or the other to put us at ease. A sticky in the General announcements would be a good idea.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    So, it gets worse.
    http://arstechnica.com/security/2014/04/private-crypto-keys-are-accessible-to-heartbleed-hackers-new-data-shows/

Sites that are vulnerable to Heartbleed can have their crypto keys stolen. The only way to be completely safe is to both update to a secure version of OpenSSL AND to revoke and reissue their certificates.

Could we get a web team response here? Has any PWE infrastructure even been vulnerable to this in the first place?

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • Options
    mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Maybe we should bring this up in a less obscure section of the forums..

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.