test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The Blunt Reality of Pay-to-Win

geoff484geoff484 Member Posts: 209 Arc User
I'm not here to tell you that this game isn't Pay-to-Win, I'm not even upset or annoyed at all the anti Pay-to-Win talk. What I'm here to tell you is that this game is very pay-to-win, and it makes total sense.

The truth is that a lot of people whining (and no, I'm not whining about other people whining, I'm just simply making an attempt to hit people with the reality stick, I can ignore whiners, they don't bother me) don't seem to understand that us Pay-to-Win players use real world cash to pay for the things we have. We use hard earned cash that we work for, so when we say "You can grind for dilithium and trade it for z-points" the appropriate answer isn't something along the lines of "It's not fair that we have to work for those same items!"

You don't work for those items, playing a video game for tons of hours isn't work unless you're a game tester and even if you do play this game to test for bugs and what-not, it's still not work because you're not pinned with that responsibility by a supervisor - You're simply testing a game because you feel like it, there's no pressure.

Again, I'm not upset and I'm not looking to upset or argue with anyone, you can take this however you want. I'm simply trying to offer some people some perspective of why paying SHOULD be advantageous.

I get my rear end handed to me by Jemmy ships in PvP all the time, it does get frustrated, but I'm sure that person used real world money that they truly worked for to get that ship - I didn't nor do I choose to because I'm rather comfortable in my Avenger.

Bottom line: You can play this game 100% for free, we didn't have things like this about ten years ago - Maybe you should be grateful enough for something like that.

If I paid for something that was only cosmetic and I found no difference in the performance of said items, ship, etc. than the stuff I could simply get for free I wouldn't pay for it. And no offense, and I'm sure this will upset a lot of people and make me sound very arrogant - Players like me are more important than players like you.

I can't stress enough that I'm not upset, I just thought maybe this would make some people feel a little more comfortable with how this game is set up as far as the cash shop setup goes.
banner_zpsowioz7sn.jpg
Post edited by geoff484 on

Comments

• Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Popcorn time.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    Popcorn time.

does it come with extra butter and salt? if so can i has sum?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Popcorn time.

Care to share??? I'll bring beer.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    darthstormstrikedarthstormstrike Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    edited March 2014

"There is no problem in the universe that can't be solved with a bribe, a paid assassin, or an overpowered fighter." - Chubain from Jumpgate Evolution
  • Options
    lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    lan451 wrote: »

...Why do I get the feeling that particular scene was filmed specifically for situations like these? :D
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Reasons For Forum Rage Checklist:

- Has Cryptic slapped someone in the face again?
    - Has someone gotten blown up by another someone in the game?
    - Has someone stolen someone else's fleet bank and/or items?
    - Did DStahl make a promise before he left the game and that promise never actually happen?
    - Did someone with an orange name say they were rebooting, revamping, or tweaking something?
    - Did Smirk post something on social media and not the GNN forum?
    - Was there a podcast? Was Geko in said podcast? Did Geko talk about a federation ship? A klingon ship? Did Geko really just open his mouth and talk?
    - Did someone once see an episode of one of the series where a ship did something that was powerful or cool and then they noticed the ship representation in this game doesn't do that?
    - Was that episode from DS9 and did it involve a Galaxy or Excelsior?
    - Did someone mention JJ Abrams?
    - Did someone mention the Constitution Class?
    - Did CBS say no to something again?
    - Did someone notice that current events are time gated to slow people down?
    - Did someone post a parse from ISE?

EDIT: Did someone DOUBLE POST a thread?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Popcorn time.

It's that time of the month again? I've not had chance to restock from the last one.
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2014

- Did DStahl make a promise before he left the game and that promise never actually happen?
    - Did someone with an orange name say they were rebooting, revamping, or tweaking something?
    - Was there a podcast? Was Geko in said podcast? Did Geko talk about a federation ship? A klingon ship? Did Geko really just open his mouth and talk?
    - Did someone once see an episode of one of the series where a ship did something that was powerful or cool and then they noticed the ship representation in this game doesn't do that?

love it !!!!!!!!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    edited March 2014

He was so angry, it blinded him. He hit the button again because of his rage consumed him.

"There is no problem in the universe that can't be solved with a bribe, a paid assassin, or an overpowered fighter." - Chubain from Jumpgate Evolution
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    or could have just been forums lag as my self and sure many of us have been victim to
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    lmao, I'm actually glad how this thread turned out.
    banner_zpsowioz7sn.jpg
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited March 2014

- Has someone gotten blown up by another someone in the game? B]X[/B
    - Did someone once see an episode of one of the series where a ship did something that was powerful or cool and then they noticed the ship representation in this game doesn't do that? B]X[/B
    - Was that episode from DS9 and did it involve a Galaxy or Excelsior? B]X[/B

I got a 3, snoggymack. What do I win?
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    iconians wrote: »
    I got a 3, snoggymack. What do I win?

Some cheese popcorn.

• Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Some cheese popcorn.

Woo! Awesome!
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Thread has been pretty funny. Another popcorn pic with a statement.

http://myfunnyreaction.com//media/k2/items/src/981d20801130c02f0af74fa72428dc97.jpg

• Options
    aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    johngazman wrote: »
    It's that time of the month again?

Yep. Not only that, but a double dose of said time.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    my questions/answers to this "truth" in red within the quote below:
    geoff484 wrote: »
    I'm not here to tell you that this game isn't Pay-to-Win, I'm not even upset or annoyed at all the anti Pay-to-Win talk. What I'm here to tell you is that this game is very pay-to-win, and it makes total sense.

so what?

The truth is that a lot of people whining (and no, I'm not whining about other people whining, I'm just simply making an attempt to hit people with the reality stick, I can ignore whiners, they don't bother me) don't seem to understand that us Pay-to-Win players use real world cash to pay for the things we have. We use hard earned cash that we work for, so when we say "You can grind for dilithium and trade it for z-points" the appropriate answer isn't something along the lines of "It's not fair that we have to work for those same items!"

oh look someone spat their dummy out the pram, that gives you the same right to do the same because you didnt agree with it?

You don't work for those items, playing a video game for tons of hours isn't work unless you're a game tester and even if you do play this game to test for bugs and what-not, it's still not work because you're not pinned with that responsibility by a supervisor - You're simply testing a game because you feel like it, there's no pressure.

thats called "instant gratification". around here, its frowned on as an idea. whats your point beyond that?

Again, I'm not upset and I'm not looking to upset or argue with anyone, you can take this however you want. I'm simply trying to offer some people some perspective of why paying SHOULD be advantageous.

then why are you trying to troll people into this for?

I get my rear end handed to me by Jemmy ships in PvP all the time, it does get frustrated, but I'm sure that person used real world money that they truly worked for to get that ship - I didn't nor do I choose to because I'm rather comfortable in my Avenger.

how nice for you, again whats your point?

Bottom line: You can play this game 100% for free, we didn't have things like this about ten years ago - Maybe you should be grateful enough for something like that.

bottom line: go take your snooty flame fest thread elsewhere. its now apparent this thread has already lost all meaning.

If I paid for something that was only cosmetic and I found no difference in the performance of said items, ship, etc. than the stuff I could simply get for free I wouldn't pay for it. And no offense, and I'm sure this will upset a lot of people and make me sound very arrogant - Players like me are more important than players like you.

yeah? and to pwe we are just customers, no more or less important, if you can try disprove apples and oranges are not fruit then let me know.

I can't stress enough that I'm not upset, I just thought maybe this would make some people feel a little more comfortable with how this game is set up as far as the cash shop setup goes.

this is looking more and more like a troll thread, if a mod doesnt take note of it i will have it reported.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    *brings a few 6-packs of beer*

Anyone got drumsticks?
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    my questions/answers to this "truth" in red within the quote below:

Aw man, why you gotta be like that? This was a fantastic thread filled with popcorn and happiness until you came along with your angry red text. Party pooper.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    this is looking more and more like a troll thread, if a mod doesnt take note of it i will have it reported.

Be sure and report both of them. :D
    lan451 wrote: »
    Aw man, why you gotta be like that? This was a fantastic thread filled with popcorn and happiness until you came along with your angry red text. Party pooper.

Maybe we can try again in the second, identical thread the OP posted. :P
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    one persons joke is another persons insult. besides sracasm as your well aware doesnt translate over the net.
    Be sure and report both of them. :D

im pretty sure the second one was accidental.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    one persons joke is another persons insult. besides sracasm as your well aware doesnt translate over the net.

true. Just like when someone says so many times in one post they are not angry, I picture someone with steam coming out their ears and lobster-red face with an angry expression. :)

• Options
    edited March 2014
    true. Just like when someone says so many times in one post they are not angry, I picture someone with steam coming out their ears and lobster-red face with an angry expression. :)

if i had my camera setup and posted that comment you find i have no different emotion then when i started, nor do i feel anything for it.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    if i had my camera setup and posted that comment you find i have no different emotion then when i started, nor do i feel anything for it.

No I meant the post that started the thread said he wasn't angry so many times which is why I ribbed about him being angry. Not your post.

• Options
    razar2380razar2380 Member Posts: 1,186 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I do like this thread. It was funny, and helped bring some humor to my day. Thanks OP, and everyone that posted to it.

I am going to share it with some of my friends. They will love it.
    Leader of Elite Guardian Academy.Would you like to learn how to run a fleet? Would you like to know how to do ship builds (true budget as well as high end)?The join the Academy today!
  • Options
    edited March 2014

But then you weren't the one who posted "I'm not angry" every third line of your post, either. That was in the post you replied to- did you not read it? :P
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Btw, I was taking breaks between paragraphs to break stuff out of rage, I think I even tossed my cat at dry wall at one point.

To the person that quoted my post, I'm sorry if I came off as "Lets have a flame war!" I was merely trying to state that Pay-to-Win isn't a bad thing and people should embrace it more. I'm sorry if it came off as trying to start a flame fest, I guess I could reword my post next time so I don't hurt anybody's feelings.

I was expecting a debate, but I wasn't expecting anybody to be offended - Again, I should probably reword my post next time. I'll to answer you're red comments the best way I can (I don't know how to do the whole breaking up quote thing, so please work with me here):

so what?

I stated this for two purposes: So somebody who hates the Pay-to-Win format would either see this perspective or challenge me and offer me insight as to why Pay-to-Win is a bad thing in a free-to-play game.

oh look someone spat their dummy out the pram, that gives you the same right to do the same because you didnt agree with it?

I'm merely expressing myself in hopes to maybe learn why my perspective may be wrong - I think it's a healthy and progressive thing to have the need to have my point of views challenged. In other words, I was hoping to either learn something or maybe change somebody else's idea of of Pay-to-win.

thats called "instant gratification". around here, its frowned on as an idea. whats your point beyond that?

My point is I don't understand people who talks about the game as if it's a job, no matter how many hours it takes to get an item they want. I'm simply trying to state that I think people should loosen up a bit more about how this game is setup and having to either pay or play hours upon hours to get something they want.

then why are you trying to troll people into this for?

I'm not sure how I'm trolling, I didn't call anybody stupid, ignorant, etc. I didn't call anybody names, I didn't put anything in caps, I was merely offering my point of view of the whole pay-to-win thing. Could you please explain further how this was trolling?

how nice for you, again whats your point?

My point is that it doesn't bother me that someone paid for another ship.

bottom line: go take your snooty flame fest thread elsewhere. its now apparent this thread has already lost all meaning.

I could be wrong but I think a flame fest requires some sort of hostile back and forth, or any sort of hostility - I don't see that anywhere in my post, but I'm open to interpretation. Sorry if I insulted you or anyone else, that wasn't my intention.

Agreed, but it's hilarious nonetheless.
    banner_zpsowioz7sn.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Okay okay okay, I get it. My original post came off a lot bitter than I intended, I can accept responsibility for my actions.

I said "I'm not angry" so many times because I know how sensitive people can get, but it's apparent I put too much emphasis on that.

Yes, I'm apologizing for making this post.

Also, I didn't realize I posted twice, I'm not sure why that happened. This is my first time starting a thread in a while, so I apologize for that too.
    banner_zpsowioz7sn.jpg
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    geoff484 wrote: »
    Okay okay okay, I get it. My original post came off a lot bitter than I intended, I can accept responsibility for my actions.

I said "I'm not angry" so many times because I know how sensitive people can get, but it's apparent I put too much emphasis on that.

Yes, I'm apologizing for making this post.

Also, I didn't realize I posted twice, I'm not sure why that happened. This is my first time starting a thread in a while, so I apologize for that too.

Rule #6
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas