test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Launcher lock-up on trying to patch Tribble

13»

Comments

• psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,649 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    a word of warning to everyone, the same problem exists in the new patch, so even after getting it to work, ive hit the same problem again when trying to patch the march 19th update.

I'm in the same boat. Locked up for me at 60%. And won't continue regardless of my attempted restarts. :(
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    also get a lock up but found an easy way around it for me at least, may help others? try it if you can.

let it load up, download then crash. kill the process, then load up let it finish downloading, it shouldnt have any issue after this.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • johrmantieganjohrmantiegan Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Mine had been stuck trying to download since Monday. Saw previously where some suggested deleting the contents of the playtest folder, c/p the contents of the live folder to it, then patch. Worked like a charm for me.
  • maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    also get a lock up but found an easy way around it for me at least, may help others? try it if you can.

let it load up, download then crash. kill the process, then load up let it finish downloading, it shouldnt have any issue after this.
    I can verify that this worked for me as well, surprised the hell out of me, I thought I was going to have to do an overwrite and full patch again.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Until today's patch (the 19th) I was not afflicted by this issue. Then my launcher totally locked up every time I tried to patch tribble.

Nuking the entire contents inside the playtest/.patch folder fixed it.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • karcornerkarcorner Member Posts: 294 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Support will not help because it is the tribble server so we quite possibly might be screwed. I tried a fresh reload, admin privileges, force verify, fast start, everything that I knew what to do and no help.
  • frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I finally got the patch to complete after doing the following:

1. Deleting Playtest\cache\shaderCache.hogg
    2. Deleting Playtest\.patch
    3. Rebooting.

The launcher still froze after steps 1 and 2. The patch completed only after I rebooted my computer.
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • harryhecksgunharryhecksgun Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I just had a lockup on patch and shortly afterward Microsoft Security Essentials service crashed. Just throwing that out there. MSSE has never crashed before this.
  • blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    frtoaster wrote: »

3. Rebooting.

The launcher still froze after steps 1 and 2. The patch completed only after I rebooted my computer.
    Doing this method actually worked for me this time... however, what's to say that it will work the next time there's a content push to Tribble? Hopefully this method can be used multiple times.
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
  • dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Got to 54% on the latest patch before the launcher locked up.
    frtoaster wrote: »

3. Rebooting.

Tried this, but it didn't help. I'm just going to wait for the devs to either fix this on their end or give us steps to take. It seems like it's completely random whether any given workaround will work for someone or not.
  • robdmcrobdmc Member Posts: 1,619 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    My launcher starting locking up 2 patches ago. today after the update it downloaded a bit and then locked up. this is what I got.
    http://i.imgur.com/haFzLkz.png

I closed it and tried again and it lock up immediately.
    http://i.imgur.com/qucjFYg.png

I will try the cache removal and see what happens.

Edit: I tried deleting the cache and it did not help.

I did get a weird error though.

http://i.imgur.com/fiAXvcc.jpg

Why can't it allocate enough space?

Edit 2: On a funny side note is that when the launcher is frozen if I try to run a separate launcher and run holodeck after I click on the character screen I get this weird one. http://i.imgur.com/mBbW5xo.png
  • suavekssuaveks Member Posts: 1,736 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Oh ffs Cryptic...

I was able to install the previous patch by completely removing the Tribble folder, but that took forever to copy and download the content.

Now, new patch, and the launcher crashes yet again.

Not gonna bother anymore with workarounds if they can't even keep their launcher working. Chances are all the bugs are going to go live regardless, like they always do, so what's the point?

On the other hand, it would be quite funny if people were unable to patch Holodeck as well. All dem moneyz lost.
    PyKDqad.jpg
    edited March 2014
    suaveks wrote: »
    On the other hand, it would be quite funny if people were unable to patch Holodeck as well. All dem moneyz lost.

mentioned that in the last tribble official patch notes thread back on the 17th, but it is noticed as its in the known issues list.
    Known Issues:
    • There is an issue causing problems with patching slowing down or getting stuck.
  • suavekssuaveks Member Posts: 1,736 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    mentioned that in the last tribble official patch notes thread back on the 17th, but it is noticed as its in the known issues list.
    Did something mentioned in the Known Issues section ever stopped them from pushing a build live?

Well, I guess the good thing is they've acknowledged it, as opposed to the infamous Season 8 launch, where numerous players weren't able to play for a month because Cryptic ignored all the Tribble warnings...
    PyKDqad.jpg
    edited March 2014
    suaveks wrote: »
    Well, I guess the good thing is they've acknowledged it, as opposed to the infamous Season 8 launch, where numerous players weren't able to play for a month because Cryptic ignored all the Tribble warnings...

exactly the reason for the response. there is an upside.
  • alphaomega1500alphaomega1500 Member Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    A lot of this advice would work. If we got to the point were it showed the file size.

But I for one haven't got that far and I'm not about to start deleting files on the off chance of a bad file causing problems.

But that isn't to say that those who know something about computer programing or how the STO file setup runs shouldn't try these fixes.

If they think they will work.
  • alphaomega1500alphaomega1500 Member Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    What I get is patching.. and the canel button litup and nothing for about 15 minutes.

Before I has to Alt/Ctrl/Del and use task master to get STO to shut down.

I also can't minize the launcher either.
  • ikuruyoikuruyo Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Had the same issue this time as last time. I deleted the .patch stuff and it froze at the same spot as it used to. I killed it and restarted the launcher and switched to Tribble while it was trying to verify Holodeck and it did the same thing as I posted upthread, with the high CPU and Memory usage and then patching normally.

Try to not let it verify the Holodeck install. Before the Holodeck install is checked and the "Engage" button lights up switch to the Tribble server. You will need to be quick though.

Its possible that its getting into an odd state when it has verified Holodeck then goes to verify Tribble. Don't let it verify Holodeck, click on Tribble before its says "Ready".
  • salacnar070890salacnar070890 Member Posts: 425 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2014
    Here is an error message i took while patching tribble
    [H:/Steam/SteamApps/common/Star Trek Online/Star Trek Online.exe] [Debug] [x86]
    startPatch, new Startrek:Tribble
    Connecting with root H:/Steam/steamapps/common/Star Trek Online/Star Trek Online
    /Playtest
    PatchClientLib: connecting to patchserver.crypticstudios.com:7255
    PatchClientLib: redirecting to 208.95.184.176:7255
    PatchClientLib: successfully connected
    Setting view by name (attempt 1): StartrekClientBetaEnglish
    Setting view by name (attempt 2): StartrekClientBeta
    PatchClientLib: Using HTTP patching: server stohttppatch.crypticstudios.com port
    80 prefix Startrek
    Loading manifest: H:/Steam/steamapps/common/Star Trek Online/Star Trek Online/Pl
    aytest/.patch/StartrekClientBeta.manifest...done
    Loading hoggs...done. (0.29)
    Deleting files...done (0 deleted). (0.00)
    Deleting rogue files...done (0 deleted). (0.00)
    Examining hoggs...done. (0.47)
    ...c\libs\UtilitiesLib\components\MemTrack.c:841 64.02 KB 1 1
    C:\src\libs\UtilitiesLib\net\netreceive.c:269 64.02 KB 1 18
    C:\src\libs\UtilitiesLib\utils\rand.c:50 64.02 KB 1 1
    C:\src\libs\UtilitiesLib\utils\rand.c:57 64.02 KB 1 1
    Threadstack:Assertcompletesthread: 64.02 KB 1 1
    Threadstack:Coniothread: 64.02 KB 1 1
    Threadstack:Hogasyncthread: 64.02 KB 1 1
    Threadstack:Hogthreadingthread: 64.02 KB 1 1
    Threadstack:Logbackgroundwriter: 64.02 KB 1 1
    Threadstack: Pktsendthread: 64.02 KB 1 3
    Threadstack:Threadagnosticmutexthread: 64.02 KB 1 1
    Packet (...ibs\UtilitiesLib\net\netpacket.c):TSMPST 72.08 KB 2 2
    TokenizerContext (...tils\structTokenizer.c):TSMPST 76.08 KB 2 2
    ...ibs\UtilitiesLib\components\StringCache.c:1137 85.68 KB -106978 106999
    ...ibs\UtilitiesLib\components\StringCache.c:1142 93.94 KB 125 125
    ...libs\UtilitiesLib\utils\textparserUtils.c:6724 107.45 KB 2839 2839
    C:\src\libs\UtilitiesLib\utils\logging.c:748 128.02 KB 1 1
    ...src\libs\UtilitiesLib\net\netsendthread.c:1452 128.47 KB 6 9
    ff_ParseTableInfos:6979 129.10 KB 9 10
    HFST2Element (...ilitieslib\utils\hogutil.c):TSMPST 208.52 KB 14 16
    ff_CompiledObjectPaths:4337 236.10 KB 2 2
    ...src\Core\CrypticLauncher\browser_libcef.c:1263 245.28 KB 16 24
    Threadstack:Fileloaderthread: 256.02 KB 1 1
    ...c\libs\UtilitiesLib\components\MemTrack.c:1196 291.32 KB 2 2
    c:\src\libs\utilitieslib\utils\zutils.c:80 300.79 KB 7 15
    C:\src\libs\UtilitiesLib\utils\hoglib.c:3592 301.57 KB 33 66
    C:\src\libs\UtilitiesLib\utils\hoglib.c:3629 301.57 KB 33 66
    ...ibs\UtilitiesLib\components\FilespecMap.c:302 324.66 KB 3057 3171
    RedBlackTreeNode (...ponents\redblacktree.c):TSMPST 591.78 KB 99 104
    ...bs\UtilitiesLib\components\ScratchStack.c:331 768.05 KB 3 4
    C:\src\libs\PatchClientLib\patchdb.c:253 832.89 KB 6570 27686
    ...bs\UtilitiesLib\components\ScratchStack.c:283 1.00 MB 1 2
    C:\src\libs\PatchClientLib\patchdb.c:471 1.19 MB 2 66
    ...c\libs\utilitieslib\components\datalist.c:556 1.20 MB 33 66
    ...c\libs\utilitieslib\components\datalist.c:557 1.20 MB 33 66
    ...c\libs\utilitieslib\components\datalist.c:558 1.20 MB 33 66
    C:\src\libs\UtilitiesLib\utils\hoglib.c:3755 2.20 MB 66 132
    C:\src\libs\UtilitiesLib\utils\hoglib.c:3559 4.15 MB 33 66
    C:\src\libs\PatchClientLib\patchdb.c:854 4.51 MB 102737 203538
    C:\src\libs\PatchClientLib\patchdb.c:250 5.12 MB 109306 216624
    DirEntry (patchdb.h):249 6.88 MB 109306 216624
    C:\src\libs\PatchClientLib\patchdb.c:828 8.03 MB 102737 203538
    C:\src\libs\PatchClientLib\patchdb.c:473 8.38 MB 147 292
    ...c\libs\utilitieslib\components\datalist.c:713 8.97 MB 33 66
    ...c\libs\utilitieslib\components\datalist.c:702 9.70 MB 102788 102788
    ...src\Core\CrypticLauncher\browser_libcef.c:2213 10.04 MB 14308 187338
    C:\src\libs\UtilitiesLib\utils\hoglib.c:3558 12.46 MB 33 66
    StartupSize:1 86.88 MB 1 1
    C:\src\libs\UtilitiesLib\utils\hoglib.c:3143 268.81 MB 1 67
    TOTAL: 446.89 MB 453541 1323835
    SHARED: 0 bytes 0 0
    OS reports 419.04MB, 1096492K virtual free
    2014-03-20 20:55:25 PROGRAM ASSERT OCCURRED! (C:\src\libs\PatchClientLib\pcl_cli
    ent.c:10008) failed to allocate 317185168 bytes
    Salacnar
    =/\=Priority One Armada=/\=
    32 | Introvert | ADD (W/O Hyperactivity) | He/Him | Hetro-Demisexual | 6’9” ft-in tall | Avatar by: foodcu_be | Gunpla | STO | Yu-Gi-Oh!
  • monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I'm having problems too with the launcher freezing.

It starts downloading the patch for Tribble then just completely freezes up the launcher. Normally when a program stops responding I can click the window and Windows will tell me the program stopped responding and ask if I want to wait for it to respond or shut it down. Well that's not happening. when I click the launcher window nothing happens at all. I can't move the window or anything. It's as if the window isn't even there and I have to go into Windows task manager to shut the launcher down.

Thankfully I can launch the game on Holodeck and play it just fine, as long as I don't click Tribble in the launcher first.
  • captainjk740captainjk740 Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I'm having problems too with the launcher freezing.

It starts downloading the patch for Tribble then just completely freezes up the launcher. Normally when a program stops responding I can click the window and Windows will tell me the program stopped responding and ask if I want to wait for it to respond or shut it down. Well that's not happening. when I click the launcher window nothing happens at all. I can't move the window or anything. It's as if the window isn't even there and I have to go into Windows task manager to shut the launcher down.

Thankfully I can launch the game on Holodeck and play it just fine, as long as I don't click Tribble in the launcher first.

I have the same problem. The launcher freezes up. I have to force shutdown.:mad:
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The force verify option also seemed to work.

go to tribble and very quickly tick force verify option and click ok.

it scanned the old files then started downloading the new stuff.
  • frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    2014-03-20 20:55:25 PROGRAM ASSERT OCCURRED! (C:\src\libs\PatchClientLib\pcl_cli
    ent.c:10008) failed to allocate 317185168 bytes

Interesting, it looks as if an assertion failed because the program couldn't allocate enough memory. I hope a programmer at Cryptic reads your post and tracks down the bug. Where did you get this debugging information?
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • fcsp1910fcsp1910 Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The force verify option also seemed to work.

go to tribble and very quickly tick force verify option and click ok.

it scanned the old files then started downloading the new stuff.

That did the trick for after being hung up at 94% patching (W7 64 Ultimate)

Killed the launcher and started again ticking the 'Force verify' box before.

Launcher went up, veryfied the files and downloaded the missing files....and it works :)

Thanks a bunch captainrevo1!!
  • rainbowwargamesrainbowwargames Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Hey guys after reading through all 9 pages of this forum I found a solution that worked on the 2 machines I play sto on! (one laptop running windows 7 and a desktop running windows 8) My solution was suggested previously but I can confirm that it works. Go to the STO Folder usually.. C:\Users\Public\Games\Cryptic Studios\Star Trek Online go into the "LIVE" folder and copy everything go back one folder and enter the "PLAYTEST" folder and paste it, rewrite everything with it, in other words replace the Playtest folder with the live folder. After that is done go back to STO and restart, and wait for it to patch, it will be a big one but it does finish and enjoy tribble!

War Games
    PVE Fleet Captain
    Through A Stonewall Darkly-Tribble Fleet
    Stonewall Fleet-Holodeck
    edited March 2014
    the fix on the latest tribble build has solve the issue for me, although at one moment it did look like it about to hang.
  • ikuruyoikuruyo Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Recent patch seems to have fixed it. First time patching it froze like before but after killing and restarting it it made it through without much issue.

I'll have to see how it handles the next time there is a patch, as soon as the servers are working again.