Install Arc
Options

Knowledgeable help urgently needed

Comments

• Options
    craig76craig76 Member Posts: 775 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    stoutes wrote: »
    There's a difference between admin rights and run as admin.

1) Admin rights; you are allowed to install applications and run them as admins (when necessary)

2) Run as admin; up to XP, the main user was able to edit/delete/etc. any files they wanted. Which means *if* the user got a virus, the virus was able to delete/edit/etc. any files it wanted to edit. As of Win7 (or higher) the application would run as user (only authorised to alter, add or delete files in the running directory (the STO dir)).

^^ This is the same reason why you are unable to change STO's screenshots; your photo editor program's "running directory" (where the program resides in) is different from STO's directory.

If you really want to play STO without ARC, please go and search google for a full STO install (I believe it's around 300mb). As soon as you've installed it, it'll patch itself until it's up to date.

ok, you just confused me lol. And its late where i am :)
    I dont know whats going on with my pc's. All i know is, whatever its doing, only just started when i installed Arc.
    I could edit screenshots, i could open programs, i could anything, without these messages popping up saying i am not a admin before i installed arc. Then after i installed arc, i get access is denied and you are not admin on alot programs i try to run or things i try to do. So essentially, that one program has stopped the computer from recognising me as the admin.
    Again, yes, i have the DVD version of STO, yes, i am formatting the HDD and SSD on both pc's and installing STO from DVD retail version!
    Didn't bother to see what i wrote in the post after that i take it? :)
    I believe God created the universe, because he knew we wanted to explore. So, he made us a playground...
    planet-space-sun.jpg
  • Options
    tuxisiustuxisius Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    "But the other issues, where im getting "Access is denied", that flat out should not be happening. That comes up when im trying to change the name of a screenshot"

When I try to change the name of a screenshot like you describe, Windows 8 prompts me for admin rights and also when I open some programs it will automatically promt me that I need administration rights and ask me to give it. If I had not been promted to give these I would imagine I would probably get the message "Access is denied"..

You do not get these kinds of promts for some reason..?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_Account_Control
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Ah someone already replied:)
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    "I dont know whats going on with my pc's. All i know is, whatever its doing, only just started when i installed Arc."

Did the install of Arc happen to coinside with an upgrade from win xp to a newer version?

"But my laptop is fine."
    Does your laptop have xp or an older version of windows?
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    ok, why is it, BEFORE i installed Arc, i didnt need to run anything as admin. Example, BEFORE Arc, I could load up STO normally, no admin rights, and not running in admin mode.
    Then AFTER i installed Arc, it will only run either with Arc loaded, or with admin rights, or load it as admin,*right clicking then selecting run as admin).

This is happening across the board. When it shouldnt be. I know my computers. I know i could do things without right clicking everything. And not getting access denied or you are not admin.
    Bottom line, Arc has altered my computers to a state that they were not like it before.
    Not even support could answer why this is happening.

Im glad i dont have windows 8 then. Shouldnt have to tell the computer every single time you want to open the same programs that you are admin.

I dont know how else to explain this to you's. Maybe you guys right click and run sto every single time, or get access denied all the time and are used to it when trying to edit pics.
    Me, i dont normally have to right click every program to run it. I can normally edit pics. IT IS ONLY SINCE INSTALLING ARC I HAVE HAD THESE PROBLEMS :)
    2 years i been playing sto, i not once had these issues i am having now!
    I believe God created the universe, because he knew we wanted to explore. So, he made us a playground...
    planet-space-sun.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    tuxisius wrote: »
    "I dont know whats going on with my pc's. All i know is, whatever its doing, only just started when i installed Arc."

Did the install of Arc happen to coinside with an upgrade from win xp to a newer version?

"But my laptop is fine."
    Does your laptop have xp or an older version of windows?

Both pc's and laptop all run windows 7 home ed.
    My older pc has been running it for about 5 years or something. New pc, not quite a year yet. But that had a new ssd put in not long ago.
    Laptop, about 3 or 4 years
    planet-space-sun.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    "Im glad i dont have windows 8 then. Shouldnt have to tell the computer every single time you want to open the same programs that you are admin."

It can be yes:) Though Windows 7 has it to.

I suppose for some reason the arc install version is different in some way so that it needs elevated permission to run certain things for some reason that I don't have the knowledge to explain..
    If this is the case and it annoys you more than arc delights then your solution seems apt. :)
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Though could you tell me if it worked?.. I'm all invested in knowing now:P
  • Options
    stoutesstoutes Member Posts: 4,219 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    You can always disable UAC.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Or.. you can go to the screenshotsfolder and alter the permissions on it it seemed to work for me it no llonger promts for run admin.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Turning it completely off may not be advisable for security reasons though if I did not care about the risk I would do it, those prompts are quite annoying..
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    stoutes wrote: »
    You can always disable UAC.

Yeah, but its not recommended by windows to do that. Dont know why they say that.
    But also, it doesnt help at all with the other issues im having with the access denied. But, i have tried disabling it. Im just going to format the pc's, then i know arc is totally off the pc's and all will be fine again. As it was before hand
    planet-space-sun.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Or.. you can go to the screenshotsfolder and alter the permissions on it it seemed to work for me it no llonger promts for run admin.

tried that too. still get access is denied :)
    planet-space-sun.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Wuut now i'm all confusseled..:( Did you do it on the one that says something like Administrators (Asuslaptop/Administrators) ?
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    if i right click on c drive, it says i am admin. Everything is at what it should be. But, for some reason, i have this problem. I dont know why, but i am. Im as confused as you are.
    planet-space-sun.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    What if you right click on..

C:\Program Files (x86)\Perfect World Entertainment\Star Trek Online_en\Star Trek Online\Live

Screenshots folder in there?
  • Options
    grouchyotakugrouchyotaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    xtern1ty wrote: »
    I'm running at 1366x768 32Bit TrueColor resolution on an Acer HD monitor with with 60Hz Screen refresh rate, which is auto set and unchangeable.

As stated in my third post, the option for half resolution is currently toggled ON in STO, and though I try, it won't tick to off, even though the option is not greyed out. And when STO used to function properly, I had the Half Resolution OFF option ticked, a fact I can prove because I got the screenshots of every Options setting screen from back then. Why it won't toggle to off now, I have no idea.

1366x768 is probably too high a resolution for only 256MB Video memory. This is probably the reason why the STO Client won't let you disable the Half Resolution option... I would drop this down to 800x600 and let the monitor upscale it to its own native resolution. This is what I had to do to get decent frame rates on my older system running a old ATI video card.

In order to boot the game to change the resolution, you will probably need to use the 'Safe Mode' option in the Launcher...
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    What if you right click on..

C:\Program Files (x86)\Perfect World Entertainment\Star Trek Online_en\Star Trek Online\Live

Screenshots folder in there?

i had a sleep, im now refreshed :)
    So, i just done some looking around on my pc. I saw that when i right click on sto screenshot folder , selecting properties, and then security, there are 5 groups. being creator owner, system, admins, users and trusted installer.
    So, i went to the users, and then selected edit, opens a new window, selected users again, and then ticked the box for full control, clicked apply and ok.
    I then went to the screenshot folder and tried editing a screenshot. Guess what? It worked.
    So, for some strange reason, even tho i am admin on the pc, it wont allow me to do things. I had to actually change the users permissions, not the admins, but the users permissions. So, thats telling me that the pc recognises me only as a user and not admin, even tho i am admin going by the control panel.
    So i been wondering if i do the same thing to the C drive it self or just format the pc.
    Thing is, before i altered the screenshot folder permissions, it was at what it is supposed to be.
    I also tried the same thing on a couple of programs that i wasnt able to open because of admin rights, same thing. I can now open them without right clicking and selecting run as admin.
    Something has changed on my pc to the extent it now only recogonises me as a user, not a admin, even tho it has me down as admin.
    So freaking confusing and frustrating, it is beyond a joke. And all this since i installed Arc. They can keep their arc lol
    planet-space-sun.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Ah off-course I enabled them all and assumed it was the admin one but now that I think about it, it makes sense that it was the user folder that made the difference because then it will not have to ask to elevate to running as admin:)
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Though you are recognized as admin by the computer if you can run programs as admin..

It is there so that a virus cannot start or alter certain files without you knowing about it.

Even though you are logged in as admin that just means you have administrator rights and it is running like you are a normal user until you manually indicate that you have the right to run a program as an administrator.
    Think about it like you have the right to be administrator if you chose to without being prompted for a password when you are logged in as admin.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Though you are recognized as admin by the computer if you can run programs as admin..

It is there so that a virus cannot start or alter certain files without you knowing about it.

Even though you are logged in as admin that just means you have administrator rights and it is running like you are a normal user until you manually indicate that you have the right to run a program as an administrator.
    Think about it like you have the right to be administrator if you chose to without being prompted for a password when you are logged in as admin.

ok, you just confused me even more lol.
    It should be logging in as admin, not a normal user. Right? When i start the pc.
    But its loggng in as normal user. But telling me i am admin. :confused:
    I dont have a virus on it, already checked for that.
    The only way i can see im going to fix it properly, is formatting and starting over :(
    planet-space-sun.jpg
  • Options
    stoutesstoutes Member Posts: 4,219 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    craig76 wrote: »
    ok, you just confused me even more lol.
    It should be logging in as admin, not a normal user. Right? When i start the pc.
    But its loggng in as normal user. But telling me i am admin. :confused:
    I dont have a virus on it, already checked for that.
    The only way i can see im going to fix it properly, is formatting and starting over :(
    Not going to help you, as you presumably talk about W7+ UAC you will get the same problem over and over again. Reread my post about admin rights, here.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    You and I are logged in as a person with administrator rights.
    This means that we have the power to give the computer permission to run programs and alter files that a user without admin rights cannot.

Think of it like you are a user of your house and some doors are open while others are locked, now as a user with administrator rights you have the key to all the locked doors but you could not open your liquor cabinet just like the shady kid from next door could not if you did not use the key.
    The security aspect is that now a thief cannot get into your room with stacks of gold doubloons because he does not have the key..
    Now what we did earlier was to unlock one of those doors so that you don't need to use a key to get into it.
  • Options
    notorycznynotoryczny Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    1366x768 is probably too high a resolution for only 256MB Video memory

OP stated that he/she is running in windowed mode on *unchangeable* 1366x768x32 desktop. When you run STO in windowed mode, there is no resolution option in video settings, just "windowed/windowed maximized/fullscreen", since game window is scalable, and windowed maximized uses desktop resolution. The fact that desktop itself uses a fixed res, coupled with GF 6150 may mean that the PC itself is an an old laptop. Not saying it is, but its a distinct possibility. Another possibility is that its an old desktop PC with integrated gpu and old LCD screen.

Either way, LoR added lots of graphical assets and updated even more, so its entirely possible that this old 6150 is not up to the task anymore, even in a small window on desktop.
    May 2013, automatic permanent ban for mentioning gold-seller sites
    pwebranflakes: this system is currently in place and working the way it should.
    moradum: I got banned for saying "I started my day with cutting off 3 MM off of the bottom of my cabinet"
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    The thing i think you guys are missing here, is that i never had these issues before installing Arc.
    The issues are,
    getting access denied when trying to edit screenshots.
    Being asked for admin rights to delete screenshots.
    programs not opening unless i right click on the program, and run it as admin ( shouldnt have to do that, i should be just be able to double click it from desktop and it should open, yes? They aren't tho! )
    If a program does open without right clicking it, it does not work properly. Example, i use a program called Easy2Convert TGA to JPG Pro, to convert TGA images,(screenshots taken in TGA format from STO), and convert them to JPG. When i open this program by double clicking on it on desktop, it opens, but wont convert the images. However, it will convert the images if i right click and run as admin.

All these issues, i have never ever experienced before.
    I have always been able to double click on programs to run them and they run and work as intended. Some might come up with that window prompt asking if i want to allow a program to do such an such. Thats fine. I know thats normal. But what isn't normal, is that i gotta right click, and run as admin to get them to work properly.
    I have always been able to edit screenshots, i have always been able to delete screenshots without the access denied and need admin rights to do that.
    So something has altered my pc's in a way that now, nothing is working as it should be. So, yes, a format would work because i then would be able to run programs without right clicking, i would be able to edit screenshots without getting access is denied, i would be able to delete screenshots without getting i need admin rights.

Like how i used to be able to beforei installed Arc

tell me, when you delete screenshots, does it come up with a prompt asking for admin rights? I bet it doesnt
    When you try to edit a screenshot, does it tell you access is denied? I bet it doesnt
    Can you run a program by double clicking on it or going to the start menu and selecting it? I bet you can and i bet you dont have to right click it and then run it as admin......

Get the picture now? :)
    planet-space-sun.jpg
  • Options
    norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    We understood you before.

Arc is a red herring. If it did these things, you would not be the only one with these issues. A LOT of people installed arc to get free stuff -- bribed into a beta test, so to speak. So far, exactly 1 person (you) has had their security and graphics go haywire.

That does not mean that arc did not do it. It could be a super rare bug that only happens 1 in a billion times. But that seems unlikely, and when working problems, we have to go with most likely first because there are literally thousands of "could be but probably isnt" things out there.

As a computer expert, I can assure you that the odds are very high that these are true:

- it is extremely likely that whatever is up with your security/access settings is not directly related to your graphics problems.

-it is unlikely that arc is behind graphics problems. It really just downloads the game.

-while possible, it is unlikely that arc is behind the security issues as well, else others would have noticed it by now.

- it is possible (neither likely nor unlikely) that you have one or more of the following issues:
    + card too old, updates to game bypassed its capability
    + random hardware failure, such as video card, hard disk or ram, or graphics card ram, etc
    + malware of some sort
    + one of your attempts to fix something broke things worse
    + driver update is not functional for your system

The only time I have seen security act this way is when malware gets onto a system OR an inexperience user tampers with the security portion of the OS controls. There is always a first time, of course.

My recommendations:
    since you want to blame arc, remove arc. Thoroughly and with extreme prejudice: Uninstall it, then delete its folders if it left any, then clean the registry of anything containing "arc". Then totally uninstall everything for STO. Reinstall it from steam. Reboot.

If it works, you were right. If not, proceed to diagnose the things I suspected above, starting with an offline malware & virus scan (that is, pull the hard disk and scan it from another computer or boot with a USB/DVD/etc that can scan the disk without booting from it).

Roll back your graphics driver one version.

If nothing yet, pick a problem to solve, the security, or the graphics. I suggest the graphics: put a different card in, see if STO is still broken.

For the security, take full contol of the offending folders by brute force in the OS. See if it happens again now that arc is gone.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    i didnt say anything about graphics.
    i been talking about access and admin rights.
    I know it aint my video cards, cause they are, maybe, 3 months old. So, the age is nothing to do with it. They are gtx 760's. Particular cards i have, they started making mid last year. But i brought them, only a few months ago, brand new. As for the rest of the pc. It isn't even a year old yet. The SSD, i only just put that in about a month ago.

Dont you seem it a bit of a coinicdence that 2 computers have been altered ONLY since Arc was installed?
    I dont mess around with settings. My web surfing is done on my laptop, not my gaming rigs.
    My pc was fine until i installed Arc.

I only play STO on them anyway. Sometimes Blacklight when maintenance is going on STO.
    I only have a 250GB SSD. I have only used 108 GB. All it has on that pc, is the easy to convert, STO, ARC, Blacklight, and of course the windows programs.
    There is no malware, i have already checked. I used AVG to check and then the windows malicious removal tool to double check. It is clean.

But like you said, just because it hasnt happened to lots of people, doesnt mean to say it hasnt happened.
    Is it possible Arc is conflicting with my hardware? I think its possible.
    Bit like STO, it doesnt like running in SLi mode I can run it in SLi, but it crashes every now an then. It hasnt crashed since i disabled SLi. . There you go, i just mentioned graphics issues. :)
    Everyone is a computer expert on here....even me :) I been tinkering with them since i was a kid. My first computer, was a commodore vic 20 :)
    planet-space-sun.jpg
  • Options
    norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Sorry I did not look closely and mistook you for the OP who *was* having graphics issues with an older card. So I muddled advice to two different systems there, sorry about that. I should have paid attention to the lack of pumpkin colored font.

Yes, you CAN lock yourself out of files as admin. But admin can *always* (barring malware) re-take control. This is normal security behavior. But HOW did the folder get the wrong settings? That is the issue, and an important one as it *could* mean malware or some other odd problem. These settings should never change without active user involvement.

Antivirus programs that run on a booted system can't find all the bad stuff. Some can only be found by scans from another machine or booted from a disk. That is why most antivirus offer a boot disk for cleaning. If problems persist, I highly recommend doing an offline scan.

ARC could have some flaw that sets permissions. I can't comment on that. Yes, it is odd that it happened after arc, but that is not proof positive. The only way I know to find out is to reinstall from scratch on a clean machine, run STO, take screenshots, test it all, then install arc and see if it borks again. IF so, report it. Could be arc. Could be you infected both machines with the same thing. Nothing is ever coincidence, computers are deterministic (but complex).

When I said I am an expert, I mean I am a system admin (including windows) and a software engineer. So slightly more than the average gamer, though plenty of self-educated people know a TON and I fully respect their ability. And as an old guy, been at it since the 286 was considered "amazing".
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    noroblad wrote: »
    Sorry I did not look closely and mistook you for the OP who *was* having graphics issues with an older card. So I muddled advice to two different systems there, sorry about that.

Yes, you CAN lock yourself out of files as admin. But admin can *always* (barring malware) re-take control. This is normal security behavior. But HOW did the folder get the wrong settings? That is the issue, and an important one as it *could* mean malware or some other odd problem. These settings should never change without active user involvement.

Antivirus programs that run on a booted system can't find all the bad stuff. Some can only be found by scans from another machine or booted from a disk. That is why most antivirus offer a boot disk for cleaning. If problems persist, I highly recommend doing an offline scan.

ARC could have some flaw that sets permissions. I can't comment on that. Yes, it is odd that it happened after arc, but that is not proof positive. The only way I know to find out is to reinstall from scratch on a clean machine, run STO, take screenshots, test it all, then install arc and see if it borks again. IF so, report it.

Lol. I was wondering where you got the graphics issues from lol. Didnt click til after i posted, that maybe got your wires crossed. No harm done :)

Well, ive just turned off sto on my main rig. Im about to start formatting and installing everything again.

I could be wrong about Arc, like you said. I just find it damn strange that its happened to both my machines lol.
    As i also stated, i dont like messing with settings. When i do fresh formats and installs, i know that windows sets the rig up where it knows its optimal. Changing registry's, is not my cup of tea lol. Thats one thing i know nothing about on how to change without messing the machine up. I mean, for all i know, there files for Arc that would not say anything at all to identify it as Arc. If that makes sense :)
    Anyway. Off to formatting i go. See how we go..
    Having Scotty here would be a help..... maybe he could fix it without the format :D
    planet-space-sun.jpg