test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Elim Garak is AWESOME

djf021djf021 Member Posts: 1,382 Arc User
edited March 2014 in Ten Forward
Hello,
I never got around to watching Deep Space Nine at all until now. I'm watching on Netflix, and am almost through season 3 at the moment.
I just thought I'd share that I think Elim Garak is one of the coolest characters I've ever seen on any show anywhere. Mysterious, cunning, conniving, witty, sly, brutal, honorable (at least to some)-all at the same time. Very good writing for his character, and for the show as a whole.
Just thought I'd throw that out there, as I know there are some DS9 fans here. :cool:
C4117709-1498929112732780large.jpg

Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference.
-Captain James T. Kirk
Post edited by djf021 on

Comments

• ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    djf021 wrote: »
    Hello,
    I never got around to watching Deep Space Nine at all until now. I'm watching on Netflix, and am almost through season 3 at the moment.
    I just thought I'd share that I think Elim Garak is one of the coolest characters I've ever seen on any show anywhere. Mysterious, cunning, conniving, witty, sly, brutal, honorable (at least to some)-all at the same time. Very good writing for his character, and for the show as a whole.
    Just thought I'd throw that out there, as I know there are some DS9 fans here. :cool:

"Of all the stories you told me, which were true, and which weren't?"

"My dear Doctor, they're all true."

"Even the lies?"

"Especially the lies."

Garak FTW!
  • aliensamongusaliensamongus Member Posts: 285 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I completely agree about how awesome he is. His mannerism just adds to the character and Andrew J. Robinson made him.

He was a real enigma to me and I wanted to see where his story-arch was going. Garak was awesome at harping emotional strings to get what he wants.
    giphy.gif
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I agree with the OP, Elim Garak is one of my most favourite Star Trek characters.
    I always keep saying on these forums that we need a Cardassian faction with him involved and get mr. Andrew Robinson to do VO work for in-game Garak. That would be awesome.

Another fun moment:
    (SPOILER ALERT, OP you might want to skip this because you're at S3 of DS9 and this is a bit further down the line, it's only 1,5 minutes but it still might be a spoiler for you)

"Lying is a skill..."

Epic Garak. :D
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    ryan218 wrote: »
    "Of all the stories you told me, which were true, and which weren't?"

"My dear Doctor, they're all true."

"Even the lies?"

"Especially the lies."

Garak FTW!

"I must tell you I'm disappointed at hearing you mouth the usual platitudes of peace and friendship regarding an implacable foe like the Romulans. But I live in hope that you may one day see the universe for what it truly is, rather than what you'd wish it to be." - Garak

"'Well, I shall endeavor to become more cynical with each passing day, look gift horses squarely in the mouth, and find clouds in every silver lining." - Bashir (one of the best original humorous lines in trek, cracks me up everytime)

"If only you meant it." - Garak
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • crappyturbocrappyturbo Member Posts: 201 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The line I like is

"There's hope for you yet doctor.

I cannot remember what the episode was about what so ever.
  • djf021djf021 Member Posts: 1,382 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The line I like is

"There's hope for you yet doctor.

I cannot remember what the episode was about what so ever.

Just saw that one the other day. Doctor Bashir was telepathically injured by a Lethean, and we watch him fight within his "mind" to survive and repair the damage to his mind. In his mind, Bashir had created the image of Garak as the "villian".
    Later Garak notes this to Bashir, and as Bashir began to try to tell him he shouldn't take it personally, Garak says, "There's hope for you yet, Doctor." I loved that line too.
    C4117709-1498929112732780large.jpg

Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference.
    -Captain James T. Kirk
  • steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
    edited March 2014
    I just thought I'd share that I think Elim Garak is one of the coolest characters I've ever seen on any show anywhere.

Wait until you see the episode "In the Pale Moonlight". Garak teaching Sisko a thing or two about "a bargain". Incredible.

I don't think there ever was a weak Garak scene. I don't read ST books anymore (which is saying something, since I used to have many shelves full) but if I did, I'd pick up Andrew Robinson's book on Garak.
  • ufpterrellufpterrell Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I liked the scene where Bashir is telling Garak about "the boy who cried wolf". At the end Garak asked what the meaning of the tale was, to which he was told if you lie all the time people don't believe you when you're telling the truth.

He replies "I thought it meant that you shouldn't tell the same lie twice?"

Garak FTW :).
    Terrell.png

Looking for a dedicated Star Trek community? Visit www.ufplanets.com for details.
  • grandnaguszek1grandnaguszek1 Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    My favorite Garek moment was:

(Jem'Hadar beams aboard)

Garek: "Ah, just the men I wanted to see. Can one of you point us in the direction of the wormhole?"

Jem'Hadar: (SMACK!!!)
    say-star-wars-is-better.jpg
  • lauscholauscho Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Hello,

You're only on season three!

When you get to the end, you'll see why he's one of my favourite Trek characters of all time. Everything about Garak is just... interesting. His character is so beyond the normal idea of Trek characters...
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    This is why the next actor that makes an appearance in STO should be Andrew Robinson. If a Cardassian mini-faction is ever introduced, then it needs Garak.
  • fmgtorres1979fmgtorres1979 Member Posts: 1,327 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Garak is a psychopath...

...but a great one.
  • bradchristopher1bradchristopher1 Member Posts: 307
    edited March 2014
    lauscho wrote: »
    You're only on season three!

When you get to the end, you'll see why he's one of my favourite Trek characters of all time. Everything about Garak is just... interesting. His character is so beyond the normal idea of Trek characters...

Indeed, the Cardasians and Garek especially make this series worth watching until the end.

Have fun!!! :)
  • timeladykatietimeladykatie Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I love him talking about Cardassian mystery novels. Everyone did it, the real question is what it was that they're guilty of.

"Treason, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder."

starkaos wrote: »
    This is why the next actor that makes an appearance in STO should be Andrew Robinson. If a Cardassian mini-faction is ever introduced, then it needs Garak.

I want this more than I can rationally explain.
    Vice Admiral Meria Farron
    USS Stradivarius
    NX-163292

Author of Reprise
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2014
    The episode with O'Brian and he on Empok Nor, haunting :eek:.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • smeeinn1tsmeeinn1t Member Posts: 618 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Yes, very much yes. I'm re-watching DS9 myself and without a doubt Garak is my favourite character in the series. I love his straight line delivery of honesty and devious intrigue, the way he teases and plays with Bashir is pure snakehead class. Gul Dukat tries, but fails to do the same with Sisco. I would love to see and hear Mr Robinson in game, would like a whole season dedicated to DS9/Gamma Quadrant, with Garak as a major player (Quark and Odo also).
    V9BQ6SM.gif
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." — Lazarus Long --->Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,764 Arc User
    edited March 2014
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    smeeinn1t wrote: »
    Yes, very much yes. I'm re-watching DS9 myself and without a doubt Garak is my favourite character in the series. I love his straight line delivery of honesty and devious intrigue, the way he teases and plays with Bashir is pure snakehead class. Gul Dukat tries, but fails to do the same with Sisco. I would love to see and hear Mr Robinson in game, would like a whole season dedicated to DS9/Gamma Quadrant, with Garak as a major player (Quark and Odo also).

he would be an old man and a political creature of habit, a far cry from his youthful days which is well known for. that would be sad if STO devs turn him into that type of... creature.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • revandarklighterrevandarklighter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Only in season 3? Garak didn't even really get started there yet^^
    :P
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 6,007 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The root beer conversation with Quark in way of the warrior is a classic
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
      edited March 2014
      The root beer conversation with Quark in way of the warrior is a classic

Nearly every conversation with Garak is a classic! ;):cool:
    • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
      edited March 2014
      Garak is Meh, he's not even a good tailor.
      GwaoHAD.png
    • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
      edited March 2014
      Probably my favorite character from DS9. He's the perfect balance of cynicism and optimism, and enjoys reminding people in Starfleet just how naive they are in terms of how the universe works. Yet, he still finds time to enjoy the small things in life.
      ExtxpTp.jpg
    • galr25galr25 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
      edited March 2014
      Garak is the best reoccurring character in Star Trek and the Best Character in DS9.

Please STO have him as the face of the Cardassian Half-Faction
    • ambassadormolariambassadormolari Member Posts: 709 Arc User
      edited March 2014
      Hello,

Wait, you have DS9 on Netflix? :confused: I just got Netflix, and the only Star Trek stuff they have is the TNG movies and JJTrek.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    • admiraltrappittadmiraltrappitt Member Posts: 444 Arc User
      edited March 2014
      On Netflix? It isn't on Netflix. The only ST on there is TNG series 2-5.
      Proad admin of the Star Trek Battles channel. Join today!

I actually like Delta Rising.
    • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
      edited March 2014
      galr25 wrote: »
      Garak is the best reoccurring character in Star Trek and the Best Character in DS9.

Please STO have him as the face of the Cardassian Half-Faction

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo:mad:
      GwaoHAD.png
    • steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
      edited March 2014
      On Netflix? It isn't on Netflix. The only ST on there is TNG series 2-5.

Beg to differ. I'm staring at the selection list for seasons 6 of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine on Netflix right now.
      (I don't know if Netflix is offered outside the USA, and if so, what its offerings are elsewhere)
    • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
      edited March 2014
      Beg to differ. I'm staring at the selection list for seasons 6 of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine on Netflix right now.
      (I don't know if Netflix is offered outside the USA, and if so, what its offerings are elsewhere)

Haven't been on Netflix Canada for over a year, but they didn't have Star Trek when I was subscribed and the US version did have Star Trek then.
    • thegalaxy31thegalaxy31 Member Posts: 1,211 Arc User
      edited March 2014
      Maya Herrera from Heroes is MORE awesome (sarcasm x 1000000000000000000000000).
      I would love to visit this star in-game...or maybe this one!
      Won't SOMEONE please think of the CHILDREN?!