test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Debating Getting A Lifetime Account . . .

solidshatnersolidshatner Member Posts: 390 Arc User
Was looking to get feedback on whether or not its still worth getting a Lifetime Gold account at $300? The 500 Zen stipend sounds nice, but the Lifetime Rewards seem kind of weak compared to other in-game items.

I've spent Zen on inventory, ship, character slots, etc - does this all beef up with my account if/when I upgrade too? I'd be reeeaaaaaally ticked if it didn't for that amount of money.

Thoughts?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by solidshatner on

Comments

• Options
    variant37variant37 Member Posts: 867 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Any account upgrades you've already purchased you'll keep. You'll also get every perk listed here:

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Veteran_Rewards

The lifetime subs generally go on sale at least once a year and will be $100 off at that time. I'd hold off on purchasing until then. If you're planning on sticking around for a while it's money well spent IMHO.
  • Options
    fenr00kfenr00k Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    No regrets here from buying my LTS. Sure it could be made more attractive, but it still offers plenty (vet ships including the fleet versions, etc).
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Definately something to consider . . . its just . . . I dunno . . .

. . . it just seems that it doesnt seem to offer very much for almost the price of a PS4? Is that unfair to say?

Seems to me that if you're dishing out that kind of cash it should AT LEAST come with that Legacy Pack. I dunno.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I've been enjoying the game, so for me, it was more about supporting the developpers than getting the benefits... although gotta say, after months, I don't regret having the benefits at all, they are nifty, and been in love with my Chimera Heavy Destroyer ever since. :):D
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

• Options
    sonnikkusonnikku Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Don't bother. Pay for one month to unlock all the bag and bank space then use the 500 zen stipend to remove the energy credit limit on your account. If you want more zen after that you might better roll some marauder mules kdf side and cash in contraband for all the dil you ever need. I make 56,000 dil a day for hardly any time or effort and I own nearly every ship in the game.
  • Options
    altechachanaltechachan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The LTS is nice but I recommend you hold off until Cryptic have another sale on LTS. I got mine for $199 that way and have been enjoying it ever since.
    Member since November 2009... I think.
    (UFP) Ragnar
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Any guesses on when the next sale would be? I'll be honest, $200 is still steep - but a LITTLE more attractive at least.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    If you want to do it, go ahead. The perks are more than worth the price at which they come, plus, you get two free ships at level 50, one of the Retrofits if you're a Federation or Romulan player, the B'rel Retrofit and the Kar'fi carrier if you're a KDF player. You get the Vet ship for free as well.

Let's not forget that you get the exclusive playable Liberated Borg character that is only available with a purchase of the Lifetime Subscription. If you are wanting to play as a Liberated Borg, then get the Lifetime subscription.

I haven't had any regrets in getting it myself. The primary reason why I did get it was to support this game.
    Any guesses on when the next sale would be? I'll be honest, $200 is still steep - but a LITTLE more attractive at least.
    I don't know for sure, but it could happen in late April with the release of season 9, or some time in the Summer.
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
  • Options
    ffttfftt Member Posts: 715 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I took a gamble getting the LTS during the pre-order of the disk. I don't regret it and consider it a win on Cryptic's side because had I subbed way back then it only would've last a couple of months. So I can get irked all I want when they pull a bone-headed move. I am not paying to support their mistakes (at least not paying money that is) and theoretically, with the stipend, if the game lasts long enough all content in the game will be open to me.
  • Options
    ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    You never have to pay a sub again if you plan to stick around for the long-term.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • Options
    mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I have two things to ask in regards to if you want a lifetime:

1. Do you think you will be in the game for the long haul? If you don't think that you want to for-sure stick with the game for the next year or two at least, a lifetime might not be for you.

2. Do you have a lot of toons? Because that is really where the value of a lifetime comes out, because all toons gain all of those perks. Just look at the value of all the free slots for ships, respecs, etc etc you will get from owning a lifetime, and then multiply that by the number of toons you have or might make in the future, to see if it is worthwhile.

Those two things are really what I used to buy my own lifetime about 2 years ago as well. At the time I had a bunch of alts (still do), and figured I would be in the game for a long time, which I have been.

If you answer 'no' to one of those two things, then a lifetime might not be for you.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • Options
    norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    It is worth it for some players.

IMHO lifetime is for active players who have more than 3 level 50 characters, play daily, have not bought many of the things in the bundle (for example if you already bought your ships, bank, ec cap, char slots, and all.... you may not need LT) and plan to keep playing for at least 1 year from now, hopefully more.

IMHO it is not worth it if you have only 1 character, only play a little, etc.

All I can say is look at what you get, look at what you want to have, and compare the long term value of the package against buying say $200 in zen. Which one gets you to where you want to be?
  • Options
    corbinwolf#9797 corbinwolf Member Posts: 565 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    No regrets BUT you may as well wait for when it is lowered to $200.00

That is what I did and am happier for it, especially, like yourself, I have already made in-game purchases to beef up my account so to speak prior to going vet.
    "The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward." - Rocky Balboa (2006)
  • Options
    fenr00kfenr00k Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    If you are in it for the long haul, and likely to have a lot of characters, the free respecs alone make it worth the money, then add the free vet ship for as many characters as you create... Then just to really ice that cake, you get to join the ranks of the folks who can create liberated borg characters (wasn't that long ago non-LTS players were complaing that they wanted to be able to play liberated borg...).

The stipend, well don't do it for that. Unless you are very patient most months you'll probably end up using it to get dilithium. ;)

Ask yourself, if the vet and LTS rewards are so poor, why do we quite often see threads by silver players complaining that they can't buy them in the C-Store?
  • Options
    ladyinferno2010ladyinferno2010 Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Yes, I'd wait for the sale too. It's nice, but not -that- nice. I got mine during the sale before LoR last year. I'm sure there will be a sale around a big Season (9? 10?) or the next expansion (which is supposedly this year too.)
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    got LTS almost a year ago now, about 10 or 11 months ago when LoR came out. anyways, i have more or less got my monies worth from it already, that was when it was on an LTS sale at the time. im assuming when the next expansion comes out that another LTS sale goes up then as well, but usually when i try make a prediction like that on PWE the very opposite happens, so its very possible an LTS sale may come up a lot sooner, depends what Stephen has planned for the year.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    variant37 wrote: »
    Any account upgrades you've already purchased you'll keep. You'll also get every perk listed here:

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Veteran_Rewards

The lifetime subs generally go on sale at least once a year and will be $100 off at that time. I'd hold off on purchasing until then. If you're planning on sticking around for a while it's money well spent IMHO.

my thoughts exactly, lifetime is well worth having but even better when you get it at sale price.
    there may even be some more perks coming our way in the next update if the rumer mill is true but even as it stands its money well spent if you intend to play for a long time, its somthing i have never regreted getting and i would recomend it to anyone who likes the game enough.
    i had also got many of the extras like bank slots and such before going lifetime and all the bonuses were added on top of what i had already purchased with the exception of the ec cap limit being raised, in hinsight i would not have bothered getting it before but when i did i never thought i would get lifetime, but that is only a very minor thing.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Was looking to get feedback on whether or not its still worth getting a Lifetime Gold account at $300? The 500 Zen stipend sounds nice, but the Lifetime Rewards seem kind of weak compared to other in-game items.

I've spent Zen on inventory, ship, character slots, etc - does this all beef up with my account if/when I upgrade too? I'd be reeeaaaaaally ticked if it didn't for that amount of money.

Thoughts?
    How long have you been playing the game?

Do you play ever day?

Is this the only MMO you play?

Do you like to play several different characters?

How much money do you spend on the game per month?

These are the questions you need to be asking yourself. If you are fairly new things in the game can still seem "shiny" and it can seem like there is a lot left to do.

If you play several hours every day you are looking at burnout creeping in as opposed to someone who only plays 2-3 days per week: 10 hours or less per week.

Someone who likes to have 10 characters have a different perspective over a person who only likes to play 1 or 2.

If this is the only game you play you will probably get tired of it as soon as the Rep grind sets in for a year or two.

Now as far as money, if you are someone who dumps $30.00 into Keys every month an LTS is not going to help you - other then give you a $5.00 Stipend. If you are someone who dumps $5.00 a month into C-Store stuff an LTS is probably not going to help you - you will have paid more for the LTS then you ever would just buying what you want.

For an LTS to be a good value you need to look at how much it costs compared to what benefits you will get out of it. Not what benefits there, but what you will get. A Liberated Borg you might never use is not a benefit unless you feel you will use it a lot. A Chimera ship you might hate is not a benefit, unless you can see several characters using it. You need to balance what you are paying against what you will get to benefit you.

I do not regret getting my LTS, but I purchased mine when the game was Subscription and it saved me a lot of money in the long-run. I seriously doubt I would purchase an LTS today. The game is too open - IE, there is not enough restrictions between Gold and Silver to make paying worthwhile unless you have a lot of characters. If you have many characters then you want the bank spots on all of them, and so on. For 1-3 characters it will be cheaper to just buy additional bank, etc.

Make the decision based on how much you play, how long you think you will continue to play, and what benefits YOU will get out of having an LTS.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Is it worth it?

Vet ships are Fun. I have two of the three and those captains do very well.
    If you use money other than saved for it. IE Holiday or income tax return. You save yourself the monthly fees to do other things.
    Liberated Borg characters are fun. (Nicer if they had the borg bodysuit but I digress)
    Monthly stipend that will come on your anniversary date. (Note this date before you say you did not get it.)
    ALL of the Vet rewards in one lump.

I paid full price and I do not regret it.

That said, follow the advice of the others here as well.
    Multiple characters,
    play often,
    plan to stay long term.

You say yes to these three things then Lifer may be for you.
    :cool:

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Definitely wait until there's a sale and it drops to $200, then grab it. :)
  • Options
    nobletnoblet Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    hypl wrote: »
    Definitely wait until there's a sale and it drops to $200, then grab it. :)

Old new boxset Star Trek is available on ebay for $3, comes with a month of subscription. One $3 box comes with retroactive inventory and remaps worth most of a lifer's value. 1000 days is 33 boxes, costing a massive $100.;)
  • Options
    sirboulevardsirboulevard Member Posts: 722 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    noblet wrote: »
    Old new boxset Star Trek is available on ebay for $3, comes with a month of subscription. One $3 box comes with retroactive inventory and remaps worth most of a lifer's value. 1000 days is 33 boxes, costing a massive $100.;)

You do realize, that finding 33 boxes at $3 is going to be very hard. In addition, thats alot of work for nothing. Plus you're cheating other people of getting it. Also, you don't get your Liberated Borg AND you have to wait out those thousand days (aka 3 years).

And LTS will get you all of that right now + a monthly stipend + liberated borg characters + no having to re-add your code every month (and Im not even sure those work anymore now that the site has migrated).

I'm an LTSer and I can say, it is worth it if you are passionate and committed to the game. Lots of stuff up front and ease of transitioning for any future characters you create.

The Veteran ships, the stipend of Zen, the Liberated Borg option and free decent EVA suits for your bridge officers completely make it worth it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TRIBBLE Hydra! Hail Janeway!
  • Options
    nobletnoblet Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    You do realize, that finding 33 boxes at $3 is going to be very hard.

You didn't actually look, did you? There are companies selling old boxes at that price with hundreds of thousands in stock. They usually come with preorder bonuses too, btw. Considering how sto was overhyped in the beginning, and quickly it fell flat, it's not a strange outcome.:rolleyes:

Think of it this way, inventory and remaps aside, is the monthly stipend along worth $3?
  • Options
    age03age03 Member Posts: 1,664 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    There shouldn't be any benefits at all it is the same with Lotr with lifer and free players.It is really the free players keeping the game going like all other PW games.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Age StarTrek-Gamers Administrator
    USS WARRIOR NCC 1720 Commanding Officer
    Star Trek Gamers
  • Options
    erraberrab Member Posts: 1,428 Arc User
    edited March 2014

Thoughts?

Guess it all comes down to what your looking to get out of STO.

At this stage in STO's development the F2P matrix is pretty good and with a few zen purchases you can have the same bank size, zen cap, characters slots, Ship slots and Energy Credit cap has a lifetime or gold subscriber.

So it comes down to if you value all the other little things that you get from becoming a Lifer.

I bought my LTS during open beta and I see my LTS has a great investment.

As Kane would say: The Choice is yours my friend.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I'd say it depends what you want out of it. I regret acquiring mine because most of the rewards (pets, ships, character slots, ship slots and unique bridge officers) I haven't, nor will I likely make use of. I don't feel (having purchased the subscription) that there is enough of a variety or uniqueness offered. If I could go back and not buy it, I'd save myself the money.

If you've loads of characters, or are a ship collector and like your pets, then go for it. Otherwise, don't waste your money. The same can be said if you've already purchased loads of bank/inventory slots; you're making a loss here.

The only saving grace (for me) is the unique uniforms (for all factions) and the monthly 500zen.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • Options
    age03age03 Member Posts: 1,664 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I brought my LTS under Atari before Dilithium could be brought and sold. If I had known what Atari and PW where up to, I'd would of never bothered and wait the for F2P that PW said would never come.

But at least I have gotten my $300 back from the stipend, that's the only good thing about it really, that and never having to spend a cent on PW. =3
    That is strange because if you read the headline at STg we said it was going to come the PWE is going to purchase STO off of Atari.We also if predicted if not the game would be gone in year that was back in 09.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Age StarTrek-Gamers Administrator
    USS WARRIOR NCC 1720 Commanding Officer
    Star Trek Gamers
  • Options
    edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Right now, its not a good time to buy a lft. 3 years ago, yes. Now, be aware maybe STO is dead in the year 2015, so you will be paying just for 1 year.

Besides, the only advantaje that the lfs gives you is the veteran rewards and the 500 stipen zen. All the other things, are just forgettable since you can buy em for low prices (and you are already buying em with the lfs..). Now, unless you want a veteran ship with all your soul xD, what can give you a LFS?? honestly, i dont have any idea. We could talk about being generous with cryptic and say it is a way to help em and contribute, but honestly, cryptic doesnt deserve any kind of contribution. The opposite.