test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Debating Getting A Lifetime Account . . .

2»

Comments

• Options
    blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Right now, its not a good time to buy a lft. 3 years ago, yes. Now, be aware maybe STO is dead in the year 2015, so you will be paying just for 1 year.

Besides, the only advantaje that the lfs gives you is the veteran rewards and the 500 stipen zen. All the other things, are just forgettable since you can buy em for low prices (and you are already buying em with the lfs..). Now, unless you want a veteran ship with all your soul xD, what can give you a LFS?? honestly, i dont have any idea. We could talk about being generous with cryptic and say it is a way to help em and contribute, but honestly, cryptic doesnt deserve any kind of contribution. The opposite.
    Regarding the part about the game closing in 2015, you know this for a fact how?

As for the "all the other things are forgettable" part, you do realize that you can't get the Liberated Borg playable captain anywhere on the exchange/C-store? It's exclusive to the LTS, so that one thing is forgettable, eh?

Also, you think that Cryptic doesn't deserve contribution is just your opinion, and frankly it's counter-productive. You may not like what is happening with the game, but to actually tell people that they shouldn't contribute to the game isn't a good thing to say, since you aren't the authority on situations like this.
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    mimey2 wrote: »
    I have two things to ask in regards to if you want a lifetime:

1. Do you think you will be in the game for the long haul? If you don't think that you want to for-sure stick with the game for the next year or two at least, a lifetime might not be for you.

From a pragmatic point of view, this is the most important thing that you need to consider.

I like STO. I especially like doing the Doff missions. However, I am not sure I like it that much where I am willing to risk a substantial amount of money for a game that is of no use once PWE decides to shutter the game. It will happen, the question is when will it happen?

$200 / $300 for guaranteed at least 3 years probably a good deal. If PWE promised to offer a "standalone" / single player version of the game (all MMO aspects ripped out) to Lifers in the event STO is shutdown forever? Yes, that would make it more appealing for some people.
  • Options
    flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Regarding the part about the game closing in 2015, you know this for a fact how?
    There is no fact, though Season 8 was (for all intense purposes) considered a letdown, and Season 9 (content wise) doesn't seem like it'll be a step in the right/needed direction. I suppose everyone is indifferent to what is good and what is bad, but I've seen very few (if any) comments here about the undine rep, and an undine lock box (likely) being a good thing, or desired, yet guess what's coming out way ...

I have no fault on the story advancement; I'm sure that'll be great, but desired content is something we're rarely given. I'd love to be proven wrong, but if STO did come to a close in 2015/2016, I wouldn't be at all surprised.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • Options
    calistobradycalistobrady Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    As an LTS player, I would say no.

I purchased my PTS back when the game was only a couple of months old. I see that as worthwhile because since then, the game has undergone massive changes, updates and expansion.

But in the past year, we've seen very little in the way of real, new gameplay. The sphere zone, while nice, got boring after 2 weeks. And it does not feel like the STORY of Star Trek is advancing anymore. Many of the "Coming Soon" promises that were drawn up in notes never eventuated. What we have seen is a greater number of in-game purhcase options.

This leads me to believe the developers and publlishers are running out of steam on the content front and trying to make as much out of the game as possible before it really does start dying. While I woudn't say it will definately "die" 2015, I think it might start to slow down.

I would predict 2016 myself.
  • Options
    notapwefannotapwefan Member Posts: 1,138 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I bough the life account back in Feb 2011 when there was no F2P etc. It has been paid so far, so I don't regret it.
    Grinding for MkIV epic gear?
    Ain't Nobody Got Time for That

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    for all intents and purposes season 8 was a disaster site, at least we are now beyond that and moving into combat with the 8472, i have seen some of the stuff on tribble thats coming as season 9, some of it looks better then anything seen in season 8.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    for all intents and purposes season 8 was a disaster site, at least we are now beyond that and moving into combat with the 8472, i have seen some of the stuff on tribble thats coming as season 9, some of it looks better then anything seen in season 8.
    They can make everything look better, but the game still needs to play better. It's fine if they want to add some sparkles, but that doesn't change gameplay.

Another adventure zone (and subsequent grind fest) is not what we need right now.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    flash525 wrote: »
    They can make everything look better, but the game still needs to play better. It's fine if they want to add some sparkles, but that doesn't change gameplay.

Another adventure zone (and subsequent grind fest) is not what we need right now.

still early days yet but there seems to be some hope there if the devs get it right.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    duaths1duaths1 Member Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    IMHO STO is doing well and there will be active development for at least 4, 5 years to come.
    Then, we'll be able to log in for some more years, till there is no money left for paying the electricity bills.

As long as there are more JJ Trek films, new kids becoming fans, a never ending presence of all Trek series in TV around the world, and as long the Devs keep developing STO the way they do (as a chocolate box for every Trekkie), STO will not die.

Lifers sub?

If you like the game, do it, you won't regret it.

The only Life Sub i really regret is the TSW one. Played the game for 2 months, the graphics are awesome, the story is nice, but the replayability is very low, community small and PVP just a big Zerg.

BTW - someone here who could sell me a Collectors Edition Key for STO?
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    According to you maybe, but don't try and speak for other players, because you don't. Also, this constant use of the word "grind" is getting extremely old extremely fast. If you don't like doing it, then there's an extremely simple solution: don't do it.
  • Options
    edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited March 2014

As for the "all the other things are forgettable" part, you do realize that you can't get the Liberated Borg playable captain anywhere on the exchange/C-store? It's exclusive to the LTS, so that one thing is forgettable, eh?

Also, you think that Cryptic doesn't deserve contribution is just your opinion, and frankly it's counter-productive. You may not like what is happening with the game, but to actually tell people that they shouldn't contribute to the game isn't a good thing to say, since you aren't the authority on situations like this.

Its common sense. If the game keeps adding glitchs, bugs and bad manners everywhere, the life expectation is about 1 year. Remember my words.

Do you think people is really interrestd in a liberated borg playable captain? maybe some are, but a lof of people are not.

And no, im pretty sure of this, and i will repeat it so many times as i can, cryptic doesnt deserve any contribution. The only thing you doing is to keep encouraging em to keep abusing from the customers and just make new ways to make more money. I played millions of games (way of speakin) , and i never saw a case like cryptic and STO.

You are the one that saying people should contribute is making the game even worst. You will never realize that cuz you must be one of those lfs that needs to justify it. The only reason the game is so buggy and with so many fails its because people keep giving money to cryptic, buying stupid cstore items, or buying stupid lfs or monthly subscriptions, or watever or just promoting the creation of new content without even fixing important bugs first. You cant understand that, unfortunately a lot of people cant, for reasons i will never understand.

I am not the "authorirty" xD, no, im not, if i were, cryptic would changed the way they work ages ago lol. But i am a customer, and a reasonable person, and i just cant accept how so many people is getting scammed by cryptic, and they keep asking if a lfs is worthy??? serioulsy??. Im not going to say more words, its really stupid to try to make people like you to understand why the game is about to fall in the oblivion and why you should not be paying a lfs to cryptic. Its useless. People like you will never understand, sadly.

I also have severeal years of programming experience, and i tell you, the game now has so many bugs that is impossible to fix 80% of em. So, in 1 year, the game will be such a mess that will be almost impossible to play. Because as all we know, cryptic never fix anything and bugs keep adding up. But it seems that the mayority of people is ok with this, so, good luck.
  • Options
    mindshadow999mindshadow999 Member Posts: 241 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Its common sense. If the game keeps adding glitchs, bugs and bad manners everywhere, the life expectation is about 1 year. Remember my words.

If I had $1 for every time I'd seen someone say this on a game forum... On Jan 1st 2016, I expect prompt delivery of all your stuff in STO.

In an ideal world, companies would be punished for putting out glitchy code. And if you find that world, let me know - I wouldn't mind levelling up my Ideal Reputation. Don't allow your conception of how things should be to influence your perception of how things actually are.

Particularly. Particularly. When giving advice on spending decisions.
  • Options
    havokreignhavokreign Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I'm not optimistic, and would say its too late for a lifetime sub to be worth it, outside of sentimental reasons. The value simply will not be there.

A majority of the benefits (services) can be had for a single month of gold then unsubbing, the rest are cosmetic (borg chars, android boffs, vet ships). Nothing about 'vet' access has kept up with power creep over the last 2 years.

That said, the more money spent by players, the more incentive the company should have to reinvest in the product.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    And no, im pretty sure of this, and i will repeat it so many times as i can, cryptic doesnt deserve any contribution. The only thing you doing is to keep encouraging em to keep abusing from the customers and just make new ways to make more money. I played millions of games (way of speakin) , and i never saw a case like cryptic and STO.
    Okay, fine, you don't think that Cryptic deserves any contribution, but you aren't in control of other players... So, your "recommendation" about not contributing to Cryptic can go the way of the dodo bird. Also, finding new avenues of revenue aren't abuse, just so you know.
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Right now, its not a good time to buy a lft. 3 years ago, yes. Now, be aware maybe STO is dead in the year 2015, so you will be paying just for 1 year.

I would beg to differ about this, forget subs and forget c-store, you only have to take a look at the dilithium exchange to realise how much money cryptic and pw are making from this game.

I predict that sto will be here for a very long time to come.

I hope.
    jaguarskx wrote: »
    $200 / $300 for guaranteed at least 3 years probably a good deal. If PWE promised to offer a "standalone" / single player version of the game (all MMO aspects ripped out) to Lifers in the event STO is shutdown forever? Yes, that would make it more appealing for some people.

standalone is never going to happen, how could you play pvp or multi player pve, how boring would it be flying around a galaxy devoid of real life characters and only npc`s to interact with?
    nothing to buy on the exchange and nobody to sell to.
    no players chatting in game to look at.
    take a trip to tribble one day when theres not any upgrades due out and see how empty and lonely it is.
    not to mention the size of the game even with these parts stripped out would be gigantic.

no a stand alone version of sto would never work.

ill have to disagree with this also, sure it would be nice to get 20 or 30 story missions to play through but how long do they last 10 days or two weeks and your done.
    having a new adventure zone and some new rep with more new gear to play for is much longer lasting and in my opinion more fun, I am still playing the dyson zone now and I finished with the rep before Christmas, I still play stf`s and I finished omega rep a long time before that.

sure on occation I will replay a story mission but nowhere near as much as I play the other stuff.
    According to you maybe, but don't try and speak for other players, because you don't. Also, this constant use of the word "grind" is getting extremely old extremely fast. If you don't like doing it, then there's an extremely simple solution: don't do it.

at last someone I can agree with. :)

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    risingstar2009risingstar2009 Member Posts: 329 Arc User
    edited March 2014

Do you think people is really interrestd in a liberated borg playable captain? maybe some are, but a lof of people are not.*

Interesting you should saw this. I don't play WoW or a lot of the other MMO's out there because they gouge the playerbase. They charge for major updates and expansions to their game. STO/Cryptic does not. The Legacy Pack was a bunch of Special Items for a discounted price, but I didn't have to pay to play a Romulan.
    You are the one that saying people should contribute is making the game even worst. You will never realize that cuz you must be one of those lfs that needs to justify it. The only reason the game is so buggy and with so many fails its because people keep giving money to cryptic, buying stupid cstore items, or buying stupid lfs or monthly subscriptions, or watever or just promoting the creation of new content without even fixing important bugs first. You cant understand that, unfortunately a lot of people cant, for reasons i will never understand.

And it is this type of thinking that kills the majority of games. As one person's signature states, MMO's are NOT Charities. They are put out by companies to make a profit and provide a source of entertainment for others.
    I am not the "authorirty" xD, no, im not, if i were, cryptic would changed the way they work ages ago lol. But i am a customer, and a reasonable person, and i just cant accept how so many people is getting scammed by cryptic, and they keep asking if a lfs is worthy??? serioulsy??. Im not going to say more words, its really stupid to try to make people like you to understand why the game is about to fall in the oblivion and why you should not be paying a lfs to cryptic. Its useless. People like you will never understand, sadly.

I also have severeal years of programming experience, and i tell you, the game now has so many bugs that is impossible to fix 80% of em. So, in 1 year, the game will be such a mess that will be almost impossible to play. Because as all we know, cryptic never fix anything and bugs keep adding up. But it seems that the mayority of people is ok with this, so, good luck.

You keep mentioning bugs within the game. Every bit of software out there is going to have bugs because of the variety in people's computers. You have baseline machines to Power Gamer Enthusiasts (I happen to fall in the latter category, but know plenty in the former) to try and program for, not to mention the different operating systems. And with the way CPU/GPU architecture is constantly changing, that adds in another factor you have to deal with.

If any of the bugs are actually within the game coding, and not just because a person needs to do a driver update on their machine, point them out and offer a solution instead of whining about it.

And since you say you're a programmer, I challenge you to write the code for a game as complex and farspanning as STO, have no bugs, and work on Every Machine that people use to play this game. And cross-platform compatible for our new Mac Brothers and Sisters.

I for one, hope that STO stays around for a LONG time to come.
    Star Trek Battles: For those who want to Play Star Trek Online as it WAS MEANT TO BE!!!

Our Battles
  • Options
    rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    havokreign wrote: »
    I'm not optimistic, and would say its too late for a lifetime sub to be worth it, outside of sentimental reasons. The value simply will not be there.

A majority of the benefits (services) can be had for a single month of gold then unsubbing, the rest are cosmetic (borg chars, android boffs, vet ships). Nothing about 'vet' access has kept up with power creep over the last 2 years.

That said, the more money spent by players, the more incentive the company should have to reinvest in the product.

But you should also factor in the cost of lost opportunities.

Non-subbers, while grinding out the (admittedly) smallish amount of dilithium for an account bank aren't grinding for anything else.

As an LTS, I can skip that time.

Also, that single month of gold is all well and good, but you dont get those services for any toons you make after the subscription ends.

And, there's no way to grind out priority access to the server at peak times.

If you run a lot of toons, then an LTS' value increases dramatically.

I'm not going to argue that an LTS is absolutely fantastic value, but it does have value......and, if you buy it when on sale, I do consider a good deal, even at this stage in the game.
  • Options
    havokreignhavokreign Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Any opportunity that is lost, like free ships for everyone like a year ago, are not obtainable with a LTS, they are still lost.

A LTS bank access and Gold bank access are the same. You still have to spend extra zen on expansions etc.

A player who is doing their research like OP, won't have an issue with creating all their characters before unsubbing from Gold (I would hope).

I didn't get my LTS on sale, but I did get it 2 years ago. I'm not saying it isn't a great value, especially considering what the benefits might be pieced out in the c-shop.

Just that it's too late to consider the LTS a 'good deal' imo. Better off getting the services on the cheap, and piecing out what you desire through the c-store, which you probably would have to do anyway.
  • Options
    empireofsteveempireofsteve Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    edited March 2014

Do you think people is really interrestd in a liberated borg playable captain? maybe some are, but a lof of people are not.

I really do not understand why you are here. All you do is bash this game, go off on people who are LTS or have spent money in the game and mention how WoW is this best out there, just not in this post. It is only ascam if you do not want to get what you wanted out of it. If you are so unsatisfied perhaps it is time for you to move on.
    NERF CANNONS - THEY NEED A 50% NERF
    CRUISERS NEED A 206% HULL BUFF
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Just wanted to say something regarding this passage of your post. Please, try to remember that this is your opinion. You may not like that some people see value in giving Cryptic money because they either love the game, or the franchise. Cryptic isn't scamming anyone (again, this is your opinion, and a false one at that), but you can continue to think they're scamming people.

To say that players who are LTS should stop paying for it, it might amaze you to know that once you buy a Lifetime subscription, you're in for the life of the game, meaning you aren't able to stop being a lifetime subscriber (which is good for me, because I'm glad I bought the LTS in August). I will never understand because I don't think your assessment of the game is in any way correct, and I disagree with everything you have said on the matter.

As for this game "falling into oblivion," where's your proof that it's about to do this? I don't see that happening, so enlighten the players on how you know that this game's going to be "falling into oblivion."

No one should tell other players how they spend their money, regardless of the flaws in the game. If someone wants to buy a subscription, they're more than welcome to do so, even if it rankles some players' feathers by doing it.