test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

STO Mac Client is Officially Live!

pwecaptainsmirkpwecaptainsmirk Member Posts: 1,167 Arc User
Greetings Captains!

We are extremely excited to announce that our Mac client for Star Trek Online is now officially live! We have wrapped up our Open Beta testing period, and we want to extend our warmest welcome to the STO Universe to all Mac users.

Check out our blog for more details!

~CaptainSmirk
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    acadie1604acadie1604 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Hello,

I was excited to learn this news, so I downloaded STO right away. Unfortunately, the game will not start. Can't seem to load the command console getting the character list.

Is there something I'm doing wrong or not doing?

Any help appreciated

Thanks
  • Options
    pwecaptainsmirkpwecaptainsmirk Member Posts: 1,167 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    acadie1604 wrote: »
    Hello,

I was excited to learn this news, so I downloaded STO right away. Unfortunately, the game will not start. Can't seem to load the command console getting the character list.

Is there something I'm doing wrong or not doing?

Any help appreciated

Thanks

Sorry to hear you are having troubles. Can you give us a big more details on the issue you are encountering? We can help try and solve this problem for you once we understand a little bit more about what is going on with your machine/client.

Also, make sure that all your system requirements meet the base standard listed in our blog post. Just to make sure it isn't a compatibility issue.

Thanks!

~CaptainSmirk
  • Options
    worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    You may want to just wait a minute or two. If you can get to the Legacy of Romulus loading screen, you SHOULD be OK.

If not, then something's up. Try filing a bug report.
  • Options
    aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    STO Mac Client is Offcially Live!

I'm pretty sure there's another "i" in "officially." ;)

worffan101 wrote: »
    You may want to just wait a minute or two. If you can get to the Legacy of Romulus loading screen, you SHOULD be OK.

If not, then something's up. Try filing a bug report.

And even if you get the LoR screen, mine's been taking a loooooong time from that point lately. Patience would be my first recommendation.
  • Options
    trinitycompletedtrinitycompleted Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Mine loads super quick, but is covered (completely) in random static. I can hear the music, at least.
    Don't phaze me, bro!
  • Options
    kadvelkadvel Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Congrats, Cryptic. :cool:
  • Options
    badvaiobadvaio Member Posts: 159 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Can you start work on a linux client now ?
  • Options
    amaresh1amaresh1 Member Posts: 188 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    My MAC Client locks during STFs and intense combat. My specs exceed all of the specs in for the MAC client (Running 15 inch 2010 MAC pro 2.8 MHz dual processor, 8 GB ram, 250 GB of Free Harddrive Space and 512 dedicated Video Memory.) I have the graphic set to minimum but it still locks up pretty much every time I play. Are you guys aware of this and or fixing this problem?
  • Options
    tmkatjetmkatje Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Does the Mac client beta automatically update itself to GA? Or does it need to be trashed and redownloaded?

Think that would be great info to have on the main announcement page since the beta was open to anyone who wanted it. Surprised it wasn't asked sooner, though I suppose it could be answered in one of the beta's forums.
  • Options
    ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited March 2014
    badvaio wrote: »

How about getting it to work well, and be bug free for mac and pc before linux is started?
  • Options
    chahk42chahk42 Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Congrats! Linux client next? :)
  • Options
    landshark535landshark535 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    badvaio wrote: »

+1 to that. Maybe we will see it when Steam OS is officially released.
  • Options
    magixcalmagixcal Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    OK... color me unimpressed. Crashes _frequently_. The Windows client running under Wineskin runs better than this. Going through Nimbus III as a Romulan... it runs anwhere from about 30 seconds to maybe 5 mins before crashing.
  • Options
    astroroblaastrorobla Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    tmkatje wrote: »
    Does the Mac client beta automatically update itself to GA? Or does it need to be trashed and redownloaded?

Think that would be great info to have on the main announcement page since the beta was open to anyone who wanted it. Surprised it wasn't asked sooner, though I suppose it could be answered in one of the beta's forums.

^ Yes, this question is important since it is a HUGE download!

Start over, or will the beta client update?
    Now a top-rated spotlight mission!
    STO-sig.jpg
  • Options
    russellcarussellca Member Posts: 113 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    magixcal wrote: »
    OK... color me unimpressed. Crashes _frequently_. The Windows client running under Wineskin runs better than this. Going through Nimbus III as a Romulan... it runs anwhere from about 30 seconds to maybe 5 mins before crashing.

Kinda curious myself as to what changes if any, have been made on the conclusion of the beta; for the numerous crash reports in the MAC beta sub-foum don't have any resolutions posted.

I just posted a separate significant performance bug, experienced following the 11 FEB patch, that I've just got round to completing (context, full report) and that is still in place in both today's beta [-to issue?] upgrade patch and a full reinstall from scratch using a fresh download from the blog link.
  • Options
    anthodevanthodev Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Do you plan to release a Linux client later? :D

My Blog (in French) : www.anthodev.fr
  • Options
    jasonputtjasonputt Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    so far no probe but havent done full day play yet.
    so now we need linux, ios, android and wii u versions:D:cool:
  • Options
    robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    jasonputt wrote: »
    so far no probe but havent done full day play yet.
    so now we need linux, ios, android and wii u versions:D:cool:

Linux will be next but your wishing your life away if you think there will be a console or phone/tablet version coming out
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    vampeiyrevampeiyre Member Posts: 633 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I have a Mac with a hard drive that is partitioned half OSX, and half Windows, that I've been using to play STO since launch on the windows side.

Your Mac client is seriously borked. When I launch it, the audio is in mono, coming out of the left channel only, and the resolution is locked at half resolution. Pretty odd as I've been using the same machine to play the game via windows for four years now and have never had such odd problems.
    "I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am."
  • Options
    oldkhemaraaoldkhemaraa Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Someone better let Aran Isenberg know about this. He did say get him a mac client...

Well.... CALL HIM!
    "I aim to misbehave" - Malcolm Reynolds
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    This is good news, however I will wait a short while before I download it on my Mac. To make sure all the bugs are worked out.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    eighrichteeighrichte Member Posts: 338 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Thanks for this release! Glad to finally get a chance to try your game.

I'm enjoying it so far, and it's playing well, except on one ground mission. I forget what it's called, but you beam down to a swampy forest and need to disable three shield generators. Framerate drops to about 1 FPS throughout the ground portion of the mission. Other ground missions haven't had this problem.

System specs:

Model Name: Mac mini
    Model Identifier: Macmini5,2
    Processor Name: Intel Core i7
    Processor Speed: 2.7 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 4 MB
    Memory: 8 GB
    Boot ROM Version: MM51.0077.B10
    SMC Version (system): 1.75f0
    Serial Number (system): C07H118ADJD3

Chipset Model: AMD Radeon HD 6630M
    Type: GPU
    Bus: PCIe
    PCIe Lane Width: x8
    VRAM (Total): 256 MB
    Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
    Device ID: 0x6741
    Revision ID: 0x0000
    ROM Revision: 113-C0171H-561
    EFI Driver Version: 01.00.561
  • Options
    kognaqkognaq Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    This thing is so buggy it's unreal. It crashes constantly. Honestly, it hasn't stayed up and running more than 20 minutes at a time. Right now, it's crashing every three. Literally. So much that I can't get it updated after today's patch cycle. :eek:

Processor Name: Intel Core i7
    Processor Speed: 3.4 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 4
    L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 8 MB
    Memory: 24 GB
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    SERIOUSLY? Your Mac app crashes a lot and you expect people to be able to upload 1.7GB data after crashes???
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Hey, PFW/Cryptic:
    A true MAC client would NOT meet WINESKIN to run! A REAL Mac client would run natively! All you did was package your Windows client in an emulator. No wonder it isn't stable!

SHAME on you for suckering people into thinking it was a Mac client.
  • Options
    bubblygumsworthbubblygumsworth Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I keep getting a "400" error when trying to download the client.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I drink, I vote, and I PvP!
  • Options
    jsherlockjsherlock Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Thank you so much for a mac client! I didn't know one was in the works until a friend told me I could play since you had just created it. It's too bad the server is down right now, but I did enjoy playing yesterday and earlier this morning.
  • Options
    trekkietravistrekkietravis Member Posts: 214 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Gotta say, the mac client freezes CONSTANTLY. I can maybe go 20 minutes before it freezes.

Very disappointing... :(
  • Options
    vamikelawsonvamikelawson Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    So this is just a Wineskin wrap? I have been playing STO for about four years using a Wineskin wrapper, on my MacBook Pro. I was hoping for an actual port.
  • Options
    m0t10nblurm0t10nblur Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The mac client was crashing on me constantly until i turned off Digital Signal Processing in audio prefs. I've been running it for almost a week now with no crashes since.