What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

STO Mac Client is Officially Live!

2»

Comments

• eighrichteeighrichte Member Posts: 338 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    After 2-3 weeks, some further comments:

1) Still having fun. I'm really enjoying it. Although it's a little odd coming into a community that's been established for several years and not knowing the traditions and mores (which is a big part of why I really wish simultaneous releases were more common). How best to politely decline a random fleet invite? Who are the good fleets, anyway? If I decide I want a Vesta, is it considered gauche to buy the zen rather than scraping together the dilithium and trading it on the zen market? Etc.

2) The launcher tends to lock up if left unattended. I can launch it, use it to launch the game, play just fine. If I exit the game and quit immediately, the launcher quits fine. If I exit the game and leave the launcher running for later, I usually have to force-quit and restart it.

3) Space plays fine. Planetside is relatively sluggish.

4) Unlike some posters upthread, I don't mind a Cider port. Native is better, but the important thing to me is that by producing an official Mac release, I've been told that I'm wanted as a customer, and I'll be supported. That said, there are good cider ports (where you can hardly tell the difference — City of Heroes was pretty good) and bad ones (which are nearly unplayable, like WAR). This one feels pretty good in space (it gets iffy if someone sets a giant Borg vessel on fire so it spews particle effects) and pretty mediocre on the ground. Some work on tuning performance would not go amiss.

Thanks again for the release. I'm a green poster over on the WoW forums, and I'm finding it hard to stay enthused about the next expansion; thinking starship life may be the life for me for a while.
  • seraphantillesseraphantilles Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I'm a Mac guy who's been playing STO since the initial beta. I've used various Wine ports of STO over the years, and while the performance was never nearly as smooth running the game in Bootcamp, if I just wanted to get on and do my DOFFing it was fine.

However I have just gotten to the point where I am not willing to compromise and play slow. For example I got Borderlands 2 for Mac via Steam and it plays like a joke compared to the PC side. It only takes a minute to reboot into Windows, especially on Macs with SSDs. And now that Mac OS X automatically saves all your documents and reopens all your apps and documents when you restart, it's not like it messes you up too bad.

Besides, I appreciate OS X that much more whenever I come back to it after using Windows 8 for awhile! It's that feeling kind of like, "Ahhhhh," like a breath of fresh air. It's like that feeling when your wife brings you a hot-cooked meal, or when you get an unexpected bonus check at work.

While it would be nice if Apple would just paid Microsoft to write native libraries for the Mac so all these games could run with decent performance rather than using hacks like Cider and Wine, on the other hand it's kind of nice to keep my gaming side, and my work sides separate.

That said it's nice of Cryptic to go the extra mile and offer an official Mac download. As a software devleoper I think it's just unrealistic to expect Cryptic to ever make a fully native Mac version. It's just too much work based on the payoff they'd likely get out of it. I'd much rather see them make a native PS4 version, because TBH that would be where I'd prefer to play it anyway!
  • revandarklighterrevandarklighter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014

Besides, I appreciate OS X that much more whenever I come back to it after using Windows 8 for awhile! It's that feeling kind of like, "Ahhhhh," like a breath of fresh air. It's like that feeling when your wife brings you a hot-cooked meal, or when you get an unexpected bonus check at work.

Oh yeah I know that feeling... At this point my PC it litarally only a gaming machine while my MacBook is my work computer (sto is the only game I'm running on it, and only because I'm rarely at home these days..) and at this point even if I want to quick search something on Google while beeing in my PC I use the macbook^^
  • mlapointemlapointe Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Hello,

I have 2 new Mac's here.

1) Macbook Pro 15-inch: 2.3GHz
    with Retina display
    Specifications
    2.6GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.8GHz
    16GB 1600MHz memory
    1TB PCIe-based Flash Storage
    Intel Iris Pro Graphics
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M
    with 2GB GDDR5 memory

On this system the client is barely able to start up before stating that it needs to send a crash
    report.

I've also utilized an app to force the use of the Nvidia card and to ignore the intel GPU.

2) Mac Pro - Late 2013 - Let us call this one the tank
    2.7GHz 12-core with 30MB of L3 cache
    64GB (4x16GB) of 1866MHz DDR3 ECC
    1TB PCIe-based flash storage
    Dual AMD FirePro D700 GPUs with 6GB of GDDR5 VRAM each

The launcher loads up, allows me to login.

Downloads all the files

Game starts up.

Adjust settings (I've tried different settings, default)

As the game is loading.... crash...

Very unhappy.
  • robanskerobanske Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I have a mac that has a partitioned hard drive, half is isolated to windows, half to the ios side. I find that STO on windows is still superior to the MAC version, the MAC version seems to have anti-aliasing issues and texture smoothing errors.
  • danceswithvulcandanceswithvulcan Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I've tried it a couple of times on my mac but every time I tried to access it in my applications I'm told it can't be opened because of a problem. I've got the proper specification so I have no idea why it's doing that.:confused:
  • stevetsuidastevetsuida Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I can post crash logs somewhere, if you want, but for now I've uninstalled the game. It's a really unstable port, not a Mac App, yet.

It's not a hardware issue because I can run STO on the very same Mac (a 27" iMac under Parallels and Boot Camp) with all the settings cranked up to full.
  • eighrichteeighrichte Member Posts: 338 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I've found that, for some reason, crashing issues are quite common in the Romulan storyline, in particular when the attack on the colony is in progress. Turning the graphics settings down to low-mid range seems to solve the problem. This was not necessary with the Federation or Klingon storylines, which have run quite well (except for the planetside issue noted upthread) in mid-high settings.
  • captainhologramcaptainhologram Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I have a six month old IMAC. Its a great machine. This new STO client does not even barely load into space dock before the game crashes. Every time. The game played fine in the MAC beta, but not the official release. A huge step backwards PWE.
    =/\= ==================== =/\=
    William Sinclair, USS Andalusia
    Exploration Division, Alpha Squadron
    12th Fleet, United Federation of Planets

=/\= ==================== =/\=
  • thestargazethestargaze Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I have flickering textures on everything.. so I can't really use the mac client.
  • gdeemergdeemer Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Greetings Captains!

We are extremely excited to announce that our Mac client for Star Trek Online is now officially live! We have wrapped up our Open Beta testing period, and we want to extend our warmest welcome to the STO Universe to all Mac users.

Check out our blog for more details!

~CaptainSmirk

Let me know when it actually works and I will be glad to use it.

I have a new MacBook Pro 15" (Late 2013) [Retina Display]
    2.6 GHz Intel Core i7
    16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 Memory
    Graphics: Intel Iris Pro
    Software: OS X 10.9.3 (13D65)
    ========================
    Deemer
    Fleet Admiral
    Mechanized Dragons
    ========================
  • ditaincditainc Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I downloaded the client recently and It wont' even load.

Can't even connect to tribble.

:(
  • velotekisawesomevelotekisawesome Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Greetings Captains!

We are extremely excited to announce that our Mac client for Star Trek Online is now officially live! We have wrapped up our Open Beta testing period, and we want to extend our warmest welcome to the STO Universe to all Mac users.

~CaptainSmirk

Hey! I am very upset, the mac version worked for about a month since its release and then the launcher suddenly quit working! Has the mac version been nerfed or is it just broken on my end i have installed and reinstalled the game more than 20 times it won't work i tried it on steam files break whenever i try to open the game what do i do?
  • velotekisawesomevelotekisawesome Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Hey! I am very upset, the mac version worked for about a month since its release and then the launcher suddenly quit working! Has the mac version been nerfed or is it just broken on my end i have installed and reinstalled the game more than 20 times it won't work i tried it on steam files break whenever i try to open the game what do i do?

i forgot the system specs:

2012 iMac

OS X Yosemite

Version 10.10.1

NVUDUA GeForce graphics

3.2 GHz Intel Core Processor

so it meets all the requirements yet the launcher crashes as soon as it starts up? What is wrong?
  • jeanlucstrikerjeanlucstriker Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I went to play STO today, but the server is still down. When will it be up again?
  • phalockphalock Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    This is great and all, but I came back to the game yesterday and the servers have just been up and down constantly. Right now they're currently down and I'm trying to get some work done before I have to retire to my real life here on Earth.

Are there currently server issues due to having a mac client or is it strictly server related?
  • otisnobleotisnoble Member Posts: 1,290 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Greetings Captains!

~CaptainSmirk

Is this why the PC Client Server doesn't work is off line?
    Fleet Admiral Stephen
  • phalockphalock Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    westmetals wrote: »
    Server related. I'm a PC user and the game has been down for us too. Yesterday's "scheduled" maintenance period ended up getting extended from its "scheduled" 2.5 hours to 6 hours due to some sort of unforeseen problem, and then this morning the game was apparently taken down for some sort of unannounced emergency maintenance (still no official announcement that it is even happening and the game has been down for over an hour according to forum posts).

yeah I was able to hop on last night briefly on my PC, but it's down again this morning so I was hoping maybe there was an announcement of some sorts made that I just missed.
    Hopefully it's back up and running when I get home.
  • indysharkindyshark Member Posts: 1,549 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I am having problems with this install. My MAC meets the system requirements but when I try to install, it says there is a file that can't be unlocked. Do you have any ideas how to fix this?
  • mycetrapmycetrap Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    indyshark wrote: »
    I am having problems with this install. My MAC meets the system requirements but when I try to install, it says there is a file that can't be unlocked. Do you have any ideas how to fix this?

Did you ever fix this? I just reformatted my computer and ran into the same problem. I just kept trying and after 4 or 5 times it worked. The program still locks up after mere moments of gameplay.
  • indysharkindyshark Member Posts: 1,549 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Any update on this issue?