test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Dear Devs . . . I'm Sorry (RE:New Galaxy Dread)

solidshatnersolidshatner Member Posts: 390 Arc User
edited March 2014 in Federation Discussion
Just wanted to say that I'm very sorry for jumping on the forum bandwagon with the hate for the new Galaxy Re-Vamp. I've always loved the look of the ship and had some Zen to spare so I picked them up anyway - and . . .

TRIBBLE THE "NO LT CMDR TAC" SLOT!!! THIS THING IS AWESOME!!!

I liked it so much, I actually got the Galaxy and Venture to go with it. After adding all the consoles together I actually bought a Fleet Module to get Fleet Dread. I AM SO HAPPY I COULD BURST!!!

With the combination of Saucer Sep and the Antimatter consoles I TOTALLY get why this thing doesnt have that slot. The stardrive is super-fast (almost thinking about putting cannons on it now, but not yet - although a bud put the phaser QUAD on it and all Ill say is . . . whoa) and the extra damage just DESTROYS!!! I don't even have fleet GEAR on it yet. I just stuck my old school TOS blue Phaser Arrays on it, left the cloak behind, placed the OMEGA Set (kinetic beam, torp, borg uni console), Borg Deflector, Borg Engine, Remen proto shield and blew some DIL on Danube Runabouts for the hangar and WOW.

I even did some one on one's in PvP with some fleet mates with some pretty rockin results. Phase 2 of my testing will be the 'Douche Zone' er-cough - Kerrat.

Anyone else a converted fan of this thing now too? If so - what did you put on it to rock it out?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by solidshatner on

Comments

• Options
    rmy1081rmy1081 Member Posts: 2,840 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I'm not converted because I was already a fan of the Galaxy-X before the changes. I really like it now even more. I went into pvp today with it. I switched around from beams to cannons and both worked really well it, but I'm an old vorcha pilot so there wasn't much to get use to. My old Galaxy-X was a death trap in PvP. It feels like a Galaxy, Vorcha, and Marauder FDC had a baby and called it the Galaxy-X. The 2pc set does have a noticeable change in turn rate and AMS is surprisingly effective against the Voth.
  • Options
    rustiswordzrustiswordz Member Posts: 824 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I always loved the Galaxy, i already had the different varients so getting the fleet version wasn't a great expense.

The saucer sep and the antimatter consoles turn boost is a boon. I have all fleet gear on mine and it so kicks TRIBBLE. The fleet skin looks ace on it. Yes it lacks tac boff consoles but it makes up for it in extra toys and if you know how to equip it correctly its a powerful ship.

Tip: if you put all phaser boost consoles on it the boosts also applys to the superphaser. It limits the type of weapon you can put on it but i don't mind.

As for people who say 'oh just buy the better avengers why do you insist on having the galaxy its irrelevant' Well my answer to that is that it's a Galaxy, it's an icon, its a legend something your Avenger will never be.

REASONS! :D
    Monkey see, Monkey do. Monkey flings Feathered Monkey poo... :D
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Yeah - I played it with phasers, but I also played it with the AP set (the 360 beam and engine bonus set thingy) - ALSO did some serious damage at the cost of my phaser lance as you say. Funny you should mention you play Kling - its all I ever play normally, but tyhis ICON was too good to say no too. I've since gone back to phasers in the end. Going to have to give it a shot with Cannons. If you have the the QUAD . . . you possess awesomesauce.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Yes i have the quads. Just because. :)
  • Options
    projectfrontierprojectfrontier Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Just wanted to say that I'm very sorry for jumping on the forum bandwagon with the hate for the new Galaxy Re-Vamp. I've always loved the look of the ship and had some Zen to spare so I picked them up anyway - and . . .

I liked it so much, I actually got the Galaxy and Venture to go with it. After adding all the consoles together I actually bought a Fleet Module to get Fleet Dread. I AM SO HAPPY I COULD BURST!!!

With the combination of Saucer Sep and the Antimatter consoles I TOTALLY get why this thing doesnt have that slot. The stardrive is super-fast (almost thinking about putting cannons on it now, but not yet - although a bud put the phaser QUAD on it and all Ill say is . . . whoa) and the extra damage just DESTROYS!!! I don't even have fleet GEAR on it yet. I just stuck my old school TOS blue Phaser Arrays on it, left the cloak behind, placed the OMEGA Set (kinetic beam, torp, borg uni console), Borg Deflector, Borg Engine, Remen proto shield and blew some DIL on Danube Runabouts for the hangar and WOW.

I even did some one on one's in PvP with some fleet mates with some pretty rockin results. Phase 2 of my testing will be the 'Douche Zone' er-cough - Kerrat.

Anyone else a converted fan of this thing now too? If so - what did you put on it to rock it out?

Try the Exploration Retrofit.
  • Options
    adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    As for people who say 'oh just buy the better avengers why do you insist on having the galaxy its irrelevant' Well my answer to that is that it's a Galaxy, it's an icon, its a legend something your Avenger will never be.

Sadly this doesn't go for the Sovi or the Excel, both of which I can have outperform the Gal-X quite easily.

Ultimately this 'revamp' in my opinion was a waste of resources.
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    adamkafei wrote: »
    Sadly this doesn't go for the Sovi or the Excel, both of which I can have outperform the Gal-X quite easily.

Ultimately this 'revamp' in my opinion was a waste of resources.

I would be happy to try and change your mind in a PvP :D:D:D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    zmacgzmacg Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I completely agree with the OP. I have a deep and abiding love for the Galaxy X. I bought it as soon as I could afford to spare the dough after it went on the C Store. I have waited the last year or two for a revamp, all the while, wishing for more hull, another console slot and a Lt. Cmdr tactical station.

When I saw the specs for the new Fleet version, I was extremely skeptical, even a little disappointed. But now that I have my hands on her. HOLY SMOKES. She's a beast Capn'!

I tried in vain time and time again to make the pre-refit X competitive, but I couldn't do better than, ok. Now She has returned back to her glory days. If she had a Lt. Cmdr Tac station, it would be game breakingingly overpowered. She is perfect just the way she is. Please Al, don't touch a thing!

Well done Cryptic, and thank you for breathing life back into my favorite ship! :D
  • Options
    doomiciledoomicile Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I've had the G-X since it first came out.

I have the fleet version now.

She's was and is my favorite ship.

That being said, STO has fundamentally changed in such a way that it's mostly for aesthetic purposes. Sure it can perform in PvE, STFs, etc but so can a shuttlecraft for all intent and purposes but that doesn't necessarily mean you should bring one.

As for PvP, the G-X can tank well enough, if only tanking served any purpose in PvP. There are two types of opponent teams in PvP, the dumb one that will focus fire on you, allowing your teammates to pick off their team one by one and then there's the opposing team that will ignore you and pick off your team one by one.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    kodiakjorgenssonkodiakjorgensson Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited March 2014

is it possible for you to make a video review of the fleet Gal-X? I'm curious to see what the performance difference is between the standard and fleet version.

cheers
  • Options
    astro2244astro2244 Member Posts: 623 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    doomicile wrote: »
    I've had the G-X since it first came out.

I have the fleet version now.

She's was and is my favorite ship.

That being said, STO has fundamentally changed in such a way that it's mostly for aesthetic purposes. Sure it can perform in PvE, STFs, etc but so can a shuttlecraft for all intent and purposes but that doesn't necessarily mean you should bring one.

As for PvP, the G-X can tank well enough, if only tanking served any purpose in PvP. There are two types of opponent teams in PvP, the dumb one that will focus fire on you, allowing your teammates to pick off their team one by one and then there's the opposing team that will ignore you and pick off your team one by one.

Very true^^^^^
    [SIGPIC]583px-Romulan_Star_Empire_logo%2C_2379.svg.png
    [/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    priestofsin420priestofsin420 Member Posts: 419
    edited March 2014
    Gal-X is the opposite of suck. My fleetmate and I did many parses today, and (with an AP build) I am hitting nearly 20k. He's hitting 20k with a rom plasma build. Considering most of the people in our pugs sit at 5-7k DPS, this thing doesn't suck.
    Sardak (Science Officer): Captain of a 23k DPS R'Mor Temporal Science Vessel, R.R.W. Vathos
    Odan Brota (Science Officer): Captain of a 28k DPS Scryer Intel Science Vessel, U.S.S. Kepler
    Patiently waiting for a Romulan Science Vessel
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,422 Arc User
    edited March 2014

With a 4k zen investment the galaxy-x better spin and purr like the finest french pros.. you get the idea..

I owned the Galaxy-x before the update and with danube (or if you have access to those yellowstone) pets it is now marginally viable to use DHC.

And sure, you can throw on BA and throw out DPS. You can enter PVP or Kerrat and survive though killing an opponent is another matter completely.

Having said that, i still believe the LtCmdr Engineer should have been converted to Tactical because the galaxy-x still performs poorly.

I can do more dps, get more kills and have more fun in my free giveaway T5 ambassador.
    For a vessel which usually costs 2500 Zen it simply does not perform as one would expect it.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    johnstewardjohnsteward Member Posts: 1,073 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The main complaint about the gal x fleet wasnt about not being able to dish out dmg, its about comparison with the other dreads in the game.

The second complaint was about the lance and especially if you like the dread dont you think the lance should at least hit its target now and then?

And last but not least the new set bonus is just a joke. Tried it for the turn bonus. Changed to two fleet neutroniums +turn and got much more out of it than with the set turn and resist wise. And you need it cause for some reason i dont unterstand yet the shields feel like habing much higher bleedthrough or something compared to my recluse or the fleet excelsior i normally use on that char.
  • Options
    johnstewardjohnsteward Member Posts: 1,073 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Not saying its junk just saying i would never use saucer sep cause it looks bad to me.

And well we have 4 fad cruisers with 4 tac slots and the dread is the only one with just a lt tac, the other three have lt com tac. Also with all ships in sto there are only two ships with 4 tac consoles and only lt tac and thats the fleet science something and the gal x the rest has at least ltc tac/uni.

Its just a joke to call it en par with the other dreads when its not even en par with normal tac cruisers. Its abilities are not measured in a limbus but by comparison with other dreads and cruisers and then its just much worse even compared to the excelsior.

Its not worth the name dreadnaught. Its not even worth being named a tac heavy cruiser. The lance still cant hit anything. You can still have fun with that joke of a "warship" but its far from what most ppl expect from it.
  • Options
    adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I would be happy to try and change your mind in a PvP :D:D:D

I'd be very happy to give you the chance :) (See forum name for handle)
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • Options
    doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    That 4th Tac console really makes or breaks it, it seems. The extra DPS added by the hangar bay doesn't hurt, either.

But I see so many horrible, horrible, Fail-Xes out there.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    That 4th Tac console really makes or breaks it, it seems. The extra DPS added by the hangar bay doesn't hurt, either.

But I see so many horrible, horrible, Fail-Xes out there.

Isn't that the norm for any ship, new or revised, that comes out? Granted, I'm pretty sure that a lot of them that are just "Let's see what I can slap on here for laughs."
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,422 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Isn't that the norm for any ship, new or revised, that comes out? Granted, I'm pretty sure that a lot of them that are just "Let's see what I can slap on here for laughs."

No kidding. Once something is released you get loads of people flying that ship without knowing what loadout suits best or how to fly it most effectively.

The only ship from which i still see both extremes (Scary good and Horribly bad) despite it being released some time ago is the Scimitar.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    People moan about the X yet it seems that they don't know how to equip it properly.

I use fleet rcs and neutronium turn bonus consoles. Huge turn boost with those.
    I use all phaser weapons the relay boosts also feed the phaser lance. Nukara console gives 10% beam accuracy. This also applies to the superphaser, yes u read that right, instant 10% accuracy bonus to the phaser lance. All weapon consoles which affect your weapons will also affect the effectiveness of the superphaser. Guys, learn your equipment. You be surprised at the result.
  • Options
    redsnake721redsnake721 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The issue with the Gal-X is TT1, APB then BFAW1 is just about all you can do with it. If you want to load some DBB and some DHC's you have to limit yourself to one cannon ability or one beam ability. Same with Topr's or mine's. The lack of a LTCMDR Tac station still puts this ship behind the Fleet Excelsior, the Regent, the Avenger, the Fleet Ambassidor, the Galor, the Maruder, the Monbosh, the Jem Dread. All these ships have a tactica or Sci advantage over the Gal-x. She really is a one-trick poney. Sure in PVE content anything can plow through targets and look good. But when it comes to PVP or Kerrat you fans are quickly going to be running back to any of the above mentioned ships.
  • Options
    corbinwolf#9797 corbinwolf Member Posts: 565 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The issue with the Gal-X is TT1, APB then BFAW1 is just about all you can do with it.

Works just fine in PVP! This is exactly What I have.

I never liked the looks of either the fleet excelsior or the the fleet galaxy dreadnought. However, I gave the latter a try for the very first time yesterday and I have to say I honestly do not get why people are so disappointed in it. For two days I have come out as one of - if not the top damage dealer in eight random PVP matches. Though, admittedly, I made more kills in my fleet excelsior. (Damage output doesn't necessarily mean kills unfortunately).

In Ker'rat, depends on who's attacking but thus far I am not bothered by the usual pests cloaking and decloaking. There are exceptions of course (you know who you are!). As for PVE, I literally took out a cube earlier whilst taking on several probes all by lonesome in an elite STF. So yeah, it may not be what everyone wanted but compared to the groans people would give if they saw one of these in an Elite PVE or PVP match, it's become a solid contender and built right a worthy opponent to be cautious, if not fearful of.

I use AP BA a2b build btw... the phaser lance itself I use for those annoying klinks that park in front of my nose to tear down my shields and voila... too bad that you can't make the lance the energy weapon type you have equipped your ship with. The ship actually kinda reminds me of a beefed up, slower, Vesta. Anyways, I digress.

A Perfectly good ship...one that hasn't sent me running back to my Fleet Excelsior! (Not yet anyways)
    "The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward." - Rocky Balboa (2006)
  • Options
    doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The issue with the Gal-X is TT1, APB then BFAW1 is just about all you can do with it.
    Ayup, very much a one-trick pony. It has one functioning build, anything else quickly sends it to the garbage can.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    sarcasmdetectorsarcasmdetector Member Posts: 1,176 Media Corps
    edited March 2014
    DPS wise the FGDN does as much damage or more than the FABC, FAHCR, and FACR.
  • Options
    jarfarujarfaru Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    People moan about the X yet it seems that they don't know how to equip it properly.

I use fleet rcs and neutronium turn bonus consoles. Huge turn boost with those.
    I use all phaser weapons the relay boosts also feed the phaser lance. Nukara console gives 10% beam accuracy. This also applies to the superphaser, yes u read that right, instant 10% accuracy bonus to the phaser lance. All weapon consoles which affect your weapons will also affect the effectiveness of the superphaser. Guys, learn your equipment. You be surprised at the result.

Yeah if you have all fleet gear or grinded stf gear = a i win button on any ship. For the player that doesn't have any of that gear the ship update is still bad. I love reading how great this ship is for you guys. I bet non of you would say its great if you didn't have that gear.
  • Options
    rmy1081rmy1081 Member Posts: 2,840 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    jarfaru wrote: »
    Yeah if you have all fleet gear or grinded stf gear = a i win button on any ship. For the player that doesn't have any of that gear the ship update is still bad. I love reading how great this ship is for you guys. I bet non of you would say its great if you didn't have that gear.

dude, I have no fleet gear on my gal-x and it does great. I have blue mk XI phasers and 4 blue mk XI phaser consoles and I'm doing really good damage output. I hit donatra for 96k with the shot gun blast. If I had better gear i would obviously do better but even with mediocre gear, the ship is great.
  • Options
    jarfarujarfaru Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    rmy1081 wrote: »
    dude, I have no fleet gear on my gal-x and it does great. I have blue mk XI phasers and 4 blue mk XI phaser consoles and I'm doing really good damage output. I hit donatra for 96k with the shot gun blast. If I had better gear i would obviously do better but even with mediocre gear, the ship is great.

What about your engine/deflector/shield and warp core?
  • Options
    projectfrontierprojectfrontier Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    You're right John but you don't just get the bonus with those consoles, of course you get their abilities, whilst the AMS is useful in pvp (the saucer will also fire it) the separation is just awesomesauce. You get to use the wide beam lance which believe me you need to try: Your Phaser Spinal Lance - Wide Beam deals 139403 (86186) Phaser Damage(Critical) to Tholian Recluse.

I've already got a few 1v1 kills with the wide beam lance, and whilst it only fires once it never misses and does bloody serious damage to your opponent. If you can get them down to around 60% that will finish them off. As for Excelsiors and Sovvys, yawn, already beaten them with this and the pilot was well skilled in pvp from our Guardians fleet.

I am reviewing footage and combat logs for the ship, your anecdotal 1v1 nonsense does not hold up against what the math says which up to now is:

Wide-beam phaser lance: Working as implemented, implementation never tested.
    AMS: last ditch panic console for ship without a LT+ science.
    Saucer Separation: AI still lands in no parking zone during demolition of accompanying building.

TL;DR/U? Saucer Separation is not being used for the pet, generally useless AMS, or the "should not be more powerful than normal shot" wide-beam.