test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Launcher not working - error 36

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
Heya

I tried to get on STO today (after I was on this morning) and lo and behold I get an error message from my launcher that says:

error 36 - a file was locked that could not be opened for writting, restart in 10 (then it countsdown)

soooo, I think it might be because of my new antivirus program; kaspersky, but then it could be because of the patch... I am not sure

Help!

Thanks
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Folca wrote: »
    Heya

I tried to get on STO today (after I was on this morning) and lo and behold I get an error message from my launcher that says:

error 36 - a file was locked that could not be opened for writting, restart in 10 (then it countsdown)

soooo, I think it might be because of my new antivirus program; kaspersky, but then it could be because of the patch... I am not sure

Help!

Thanks

!) If you're running on Windows 7 - make sure you select 'Run as Administrator' (or better yet, cinfigure the shortcut to always 'Run as Administrator')

2) make sure that, whenever there is a new patch, you go back into you anti-virus software and re-enable it to allow the STO startup EXE, as, anytime a file is updated, it's signature changes and you AV or Firewall software won't recognize any exceptions you had set for it befpre.

If neither of the above help, your install might be corrupted somehow.
  • Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    also if you can exclude the game directory from scanning by your antivirus. some program will lock files when scanning and interfer with the game access to the files.
  • tyuliastyulias Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i tried changing firewall seeting and starting the program as an admin but it did not solve the issue
  • plumeyer1plumeyer1 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've got the same issue. I thought it was the issue everyone was talking about but no one mentioned Error 36 so I did a Google search and found this thread. I'm uninstalling my firewall (I'll get a generic MS one) and see if that works. Thanks!:)
  • newbie3newbie3 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Try the fix I posted here:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=693081

It's specific to the "Error 36" message
  • sinusunissinusunis Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Hey, i had the same issues with Error 36 and i tried everything included graphics drivers, administrator rights, integrated/external graphic card, reinstall steam and sto, downloading arc...bla bla.

The launcher's access for doing an update is blocked.

For me it was a firewall problem. It blocked the access to the launcher file. Im using a laptop and there is no problem with integrated intel (4000) or external nvidia card (GT 650M).

I solved it after weeks when i changed my firewall from "game mode" into normal mode. Comodo asked me immediately about the access restrictions of the launcher. You could check in your firewall settings if the launcher and the game client are included. Try to exclude them from protection maybe...

Worked for me

Greets
  • sboslayersboslayer Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    The "new" arc is causing this issue. Run it through that = automatic fix. I reckon this is cryptic/PWE way of saying use arc only :/
  • arbyfigarbyfig Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I have just recieved this error, I tried resetting my computer and uninstalling STO and even with arc, it doesn't work. What should I do to fix it?
  • chazrailchazrail Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    yeah im on the dell venue pro 8 but my game was working fine until the error 36 came up what do i do.
  • yonriltorlinyonriltorlin Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I get this message. Is this what everyone's talking about?

http://prntscr.com/2t9yt3
  • richardevegarichardevega Member Posts: 234 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    yep that the one. I started seeing this error after I installed Arc, in fact this error started after last weeks patch since then I uninstalled Arc. Whats causing this error?????
  • asgard2516asgard2516 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Arc is ****, I had to create a new account just to get on here to post and now I had to uninstall everything as it has messed my PC up now, plus I am having loads of pop ups appearing now.
    Unless I can download STO without Arc, it looks like I won't be on ever again and if that is the case, I want all my money back that I spent on STO :mad:
  • captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    asgard2516 wrote: »
    Arc is ****, I had to create a new account just to get on here to post and now I had to uninstall everything as it has messed my PC up now, plus I am having loads of pop ups appearing now.
    Unless I can download STO without Arc, it looks like I won't be on ever again and if that is the case, I want all my money back that I spent on STO :mad:

Man I haven't had that problem with Arc.

But I am getting error 36 unless I update via Arc. And also, if I try to launch my game from the launcher without Arc being active it will crash the game at the Cryptic screen. 100% of the time.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • jbkiller1jbkiller1 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    i am having same issue but i have used arch for sometime and this is first time getting this error. i have not played sto for abt a year now since i have not had my desktop for abt a year working it was needing repairs. so after getting enough money to get repairs. i turned it on updated my graphic cards and my other mmorpgs then started to update sto. i played it one day for few hours then when i enter earth space dock i enter it then my game crashed. i could not even log into any of my characters because it kept crashing then error 39 happened.