test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Can we have the Source Code for STO?

maxlevelgod69maxlevelgod69 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
Hi there. I'm from America and we believe in competition.

Can you send me the source code to this game to the email associated with this account?

Not that i think I can make Star Trek Online better. But the alternate universe we're messing with sure deserves a richer set of interactions that I think I can add to make things fun. I'm a bit of a Pacifist and wouldn't mind tweakin things - ie: custom image imports with Foundry, richer NPC interactions, richer Assignment functions, richer trade and exchange functionality, etc....

You all TRIBBLE Worlds of ********. That was pretty cool. You know I'm not much of a hacker. So I'd rather just play with the source code and try things out. I just want to play around. Have some fun ya know? Maybe add some features to the exchange or who knows what?

Purdy please!

And yes, I might distribute it a bit. I am putting my own source on github.com for the LCARS Wordpress project I am working on (look up Vrilliant). it's based on the LCARS computer, a modification to the Wordpress theme, I am making my own license model - Pay, Donate (time or money), or Pirate - whatever floats your boat.

With STO being an open model, what's wrong with distributing the code and letting some geeks like me work on it? This way get our own variations of the Star Trek Universe could be fun!

Purdy Please!
Post edited by maxlevelgod69 on

Comments

• Options
    ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • Options
    wolfgangtwowolfgangtwo Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Query. In what way is STO "an open model?"
  • Options
    tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I imagine the official statement there is a negatory.
  • Options
    ayarkayark Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    And while you're at it, can I have they key to Borg City, the key to your starship, and a tic-tac?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqzckPB2RZo
  • Options
    voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
  • Options
    panda244panda244 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Well if their giving away the source code I'll take a couple thousand master keys, oh and maybe they can mail me some cookies and such.. I do love baked goods :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2014

Free I meant. poor word choice! We could bump up the revenue with customer created mods.... that's what sells half the US based XBOX games anyways.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    No, the game is not free. It is "Free to Play," a rather lucrative model that generally does not involve them not controlling the game.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    ashkrik23 wrote: »

Oh you kids. It doesn't hurt asking!

Mods are what made Steam the company it is. So put down the request all ya want, but let's be real. Aftermarket modifications of nearly every product are what make the original product sell beyond the wildest expectations.

A bit naive to think it ain't gonna work with this. but then again, yer all too busy fightin and laughin at anyone with anything different to add. Who's the borg?
  • Options
    zorbanezorbane Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Free I meant. poor word choice! We could bump up the revenue with customer created mods.... that's what sells half the US based XBOX games anyways.

there is the Foundry where you can make missions and play missions that other people make.
    StarbaseUGC Discord Chat
    Foundry Mission Database
    Check out my Foundry missions:
    Standalone - The Great Escape - The Galaxy's Fair - Purity I: Of Denial - Return to Oblivion
    Untitled Series - Duritanium Man - The Improbable Bulk - Commander Rihan
  • Options
    aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited February 2014

Your story just never stops changing, does it?

You see, I am dirt poor quite literally living in a third world country and have no income to pay for online content. While I'd love to buy 'zen' or a subscription to upgrade , like most people outside the United States, I have no credit cards and no income, so I can only contribute with ideas and content and feedback.

So where will you be from next week? :rolleyes:

Your lack of credibility is only exceeded by the insanity level of your suggestions. No, I don't think there's a chance in Hell of them sending you the source code to STO so you can make "adult Foundry content."

If you could apply the single-minded stubbornness you use in your efforts to cash in on Cryptic's work to actually creating something of your own, you'd be impressive.

Depends on whether you mean here in our reality, or between the OP's ears. In our reality, it isn't in any way. In the OP's head...I cringe to imagine.

zorbane wrote: »
    there is the Foundry where you can make missions and play missions that other people make.

Yeah, he knows that- but they won't agree to his plan to make "adult Foundry content" (aka Trek TRIBBLE) and sell it for Bitcoins so that Cryptic/PWE don't get any cut of the profits.
  • Options
    rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Wow.

I mean, just wow.

*shakes head and wanders off muttering something about 'and they call me entitled' grumble"
  • Options
    kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014

Your lack of credibility is only exceeded by the insanity level of your suggestions. No, I don't think there's a chance in Hell of them sending you the source code to STO so you can make "adult Foundry content."

If you could apply the single-minded stubbornness you use in your efforts to cash in on Cryptic's work to actually creating something of your own, you'd be impressive.

Yeah, he knows that- but they won't agree to his plan to make "adult Foundry content" (aka Trek TRIBBLE) and sell it for Bitcoins so that Cryptic/PWE don't get any cut of the profits.

Wow. Impressive debunking. Keep up the good work.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    kirksplat wrote: »
    Wow. Impressive debunking. Keep up the good work.

i know....and from the frequnecy of the posts, I'd tentatively wonder about a pretty severe bipolar disorder with a nasty wicked manic phase.

Max, the meds are your friend, honest.
  • Options
    mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    ...Actually, never mind. I had something here, but decided against it.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Who's the borg?

A derogatory insult at M'Rekka's expense? He kids, of course.

But the problem here is, Steam didn't become great by giving away their stuff. This is not the same scenario.

And yes, the closest you're probably going to get to what you're asking for is the Foundry.

Having been a... *addict-twitch* customer of theirs for years now, M'Rekka feels certain that PWE will never entertain the notion in the least.

Sincerely, he means this in a friendly and helpful fashion: Look, instead, to trying to get improvements to the Foundry so you can do what you will in-game.
  • Options
    tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited February 2014
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • Options
    realisticaltyrealisticalty Member Posts: 851 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I really really REALLY want to sip some of what yall are having...

Pour it slowly, please, not too much too fast, powerful stuff!
  • Options
    minmacdougalminmacdougal Member Posts: 182 Arc User
    edited February 2014
  • Options
    projectfrontierprojectfrontier Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    tacofangs wrote: »

Your post is the textbook definition of irony, find Waldo.
  • Options
    kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    What is this? I don't even....
  • Options
    priestofsin420priestofsin420 Member Posts: 419
    edited February 2014
    HA.. HA HA HA.... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

nah.
    Sardak (Science Officer): Captain of a 23k DPS R'Mor Temporal Science Vessel, R.R.W. Vathos
    Odan Brota (Science Officer): Captain of a 28k DPS Scryer Intel Science Vessel, U.S.S. Kepler
    Patiently waiting for a Romulan Science Vessel
  • Options
    neok182neok182 Member Posts: 551 Arc User
    edited February 2014

Can you send me the source code to this game to the email associated with this account?

Not that i think I can make Star Trek Online better. But the alternate universe we're messing with sure deserves a richer set of interactions that I think I can add to make things fun. I'm a bit of a Pacifist and wouldn't mind tweakin things - ie: custom image imports with Foundry, richer NPC interactions, richer Assignment functions, richer trade and exchange functionality, etc....

You all TRIBBLE Worlds of ********. That was pretty cool. You know I'm not much of a hacker. So I'd rather just play with the source code and try things out. I just want to play around. Have some fun ya know? Maybe add some features to the exchange or who knows what?

Purdy please!

And yes, I might distribute it a bit. I am putting my own source on github.com for the LCARS Wordpress project I am working on (look up Vrilliant). it's based on the LCARS computer, a modification to the Wordpress theme, I am making my own license model - Pay, Donate (time or money), or Pirate - whatever floats your boat.

With STO being an open model, what's wrong with distributing the code and letting some geeks like me work on it? This way get our own variations of the Star Trek Universe could be fun!

Purdy Please!

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
    ACCESS DENIED
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    tacofangs wrote: »

The Finance Manager position made me think about the CFP commercial with the DJ...
  • Options
    szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,724 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    *looks at user name*

Not YOU again! Your last thread had enough egomania and name-calling to last me the rest of the year.. :P
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Just when I think I've seen it all...someone proves me wrong.... Bravo
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    killdozer9211killdozer9211 Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited February 2014

Depends on whether you mean here in our reality, or between the OP's ears. In our reality, it isn't in any way. In the OP's head...I cringe to imagine.

Because "America" and "the US" are the same thing. It's also impossible to be from somewhere and be somewhere at the same time, according to you. Talk about a lack of credibility, or cringing to imagine what's in someone else's head.

Just sayin.
  • Options
    elessymelessym Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014

How dare you doubt the word of a
    I went to Thunderbird, and received an MBA from the #1 International Management school in the world
    bored former Intellectual Property lawyer and now a programmer

Anyway, since he thinks that
    Reality is imagined.
    It's no wonder his story changes daily.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • Options
    hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    skollulfr wrote: »
    also, america is the land that allowed a company to patent the word "candy" so it could then go on to shut down half a dozen indy games... thats not belief in competition.

Actually, they didn't. It was a trademark, not a patent, but either way, it was denied based on preexisting trademarks and the volume of likely confusion challenges they received. King dropped the application a couple hours before it was officially denied, so on paper it's dropped, not denied. But, yeah, it was still denied.
This discussion has been closed.