test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

anyone ever seen the startrek movie where kirk goes to the 70s to get whales

captainskybladecaptainskyblade Member Posts: 57 Arc User
edited February 2014 in Ten Forward
I wonder what ever happened to those whales.

I wonder if those time continuum people ever became involved In that lady they brought to the future.

and if you pay attention to the date they entered the 70s and said by now there sensors of this time should have picked us up by now and cloak so they don't see us. That date is when the radio station satalites thought they detected an alie nsignal from space for a few seconds.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

i have hurt many people and i am deeply sorry but i hope i you will forgive me and i will try to make it better i am sorry.
Post edited by captainskyblade on

Comments

• Options
    norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    It was set in the 80s. Note the ghetto blaster** & 80s punk, as well as the PC in the office of the guy, among other things... it was late 80s at that. Cars as well. Where you getting the 70s?

Presumably the oceans are now filled with inbred whales.

** if that offends anyone, take it up with the entire generation that called em that.
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Doesn't this belong in Ten Forward
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    noroblad wrote: »
    It was set in the 80s. Note the ghetto blaster & 80s punk, as well as the PC in the office of the guy, among other things... it was late 80s at that. Cars as well. Where you getting the 70s?

I forgot if it was in the 70 or 80s but it was the exact date those senser guys picked up the signal from space
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

i have hurt many people and i am deeply sorry but i hope i you will forgive me and i will try to make it better i am sorry.
  • Options
    temporalhavoctemporalhavoc Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    noroblad wrote: »

Or the offspring of genetically modified whales, cloned from the original pair! :P
    Nick - Human Tactical Officer - FED [INACTIVE]
    Tenix - Romulan Science Officer - KDF Ally [INACTIVE]
    M'ossa - Ferasan Science Officer - KDF [MAIN]

Formerly known on the forums as Remissus
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    Doesn't this belong in Ten Forward

cant it go in both this is a genral discussion
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Options
    cbrjwrrcbrjwrr Member Posts: 2,782 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Living quite happily - they are mentioned in the Fed tutorial.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    cbrjwrr wrote: »
    Living quite happily - they are mentioned in the Fed tutorial.

we keep talking about the whales how about the time continuum people
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The whales themselves probably died out again since you cannot have a stable population with only two individuals (Yes, Noah's Arc is a LIE :P ) unless they performed some magical genesis-gene therapy on them to artificially create a population of whales that didn't fall victim to the effects of incest and genetic drift.

Wether or not temporal investigation occured we don't know, although they probably take it easy on Kirk since he saved our timeline :D
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    cant it go in both this is a genral discussion

General discussion about Star trek online, not Star Trek
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    angrytarg wrote: »
    The whales themselves probably died out again since you cannot have a stable population with only two individuals (Yes, Noah's Arc is a LIE :P ) unless they performed some magical genesis-gene therapy on them to artificially create a population of whales that didn't fall victim to the effects of incest and genetic drift.

Wether or not temporal investigation occured we don't know, although they probably take it easy on Kirk since he saved our timeline :D

I guess your right about the continuum investigation but they are never easy on anyone else but a investigation did probly occur. or she was just one of those people who really had no impact o nhistory or the future and just let her be but I bet kirk had a talking 2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Options
    z3ndor99z3ndor99 Member Posts: 1,391 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    No I haven't and who is this kirk character you speak off?
  • Options
    lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Ya man, I especially love that Klingon ship with the federation bridge that was left sitting at the bottom of Frisco bay. I wonder where all those original parts from the bridge are now, a secret warehouse on Vulcan ?
    :P
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    z3ndor99 wrote: »
    No I haven't and who is this kirk character you speak off?

kirk is the captain of the enterprise of the tos am I correct.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Options
    edited February 2014

I wonder if those time continuum people ever became involved In that lady they brought to the future.

and if you pay attention to the date they entered the 70s and said by now there sensors of this time should have picked us up by now and cloak so they don't see us. That date is when the radio station satalites thought they detected an alie nsignal from space for a few seconds.

ok back to this discussion
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Options
    hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I forgot if it was in the 70 or 80s but it was the exact date those senser guys picked up the signal from space

No, it wasn't. The WOW signal (which turned out to be terrestrial in origin) was in 1977, Kirk went back to 1986.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Hey skyblade just checked google an apparently kirk was a character in star trek, god knows what star trek is?! Any how back STO!
  • Options
    marc8219marc8219 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Yeah I was a little kid and saw it when it was released in the theater, the alien ship was really scary as a kid, lol. It was on ok Trek movie, not one of the best, I would have liked to see more about that alien ship for it to have really felt more complete.
    Tala -KDF Tac- House of Beautiful Orions
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    *Chekov approaches a police officer completely oblivious to the irony of a Russian asking about directions to an American nuclear powered ship* "Excuse me, sir. Can you direct me to the naval base in Alameda? It's where they keep the nuclear wessels." hahaha!
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    *Chekov approaches a police officer completely oblivious to the irony of a Russian asking about directions to an American nuclear powered ship* "Excuse me, sir. Can you direct me to the naval base in Alameda? It's where they keep the nuclear wessels." hahaha!

By far my favourite part of the movie!
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    " my god man, drilling holes in his head isn't the answer " gotta love bones.
  • Options
    ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    " my god man, drilling holes in his head isn't the answer " gotta love bones.

Haha!

"Now put away your butcher's knives and let me save this patient!"

Agreed!
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited February 2014
    Just going by the film I've seen the most, this is defiantly my favourite ST film.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    " captain, there be wales here! "
  • Options
    variant37variant37 Member Posts: 867 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    " captain, there be whales here! "

I still remember the MAD magazine parody of the Voyage Home, where when Scotty said that the rest of the crew wondered if he was talking about himself. Ah nostalgia. :P
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Screams like Foundry material now to me. But how do we coax Cryptic into creating a whale model and an underwater map effect?
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited February 2014

Which was the exact date, "the 70s" or "the 80s?" Both cover a good 10 years, so how is there anything exact about this? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited February 2014

in a follow up book that I read that they found out that the apartment block that Gillian (lady from the past) lived in was destroyed in an explosion or fire or something that very night killing all the occupants so if they sent her back they would have been condemning her to certain death, funny how things work out.
    so if they sent her back to a time before meeting kirk to wipe her memory (see TOS Season 1, Episode 19 Tomorrow Is Yesterday) she would have died that very night, if they sent her back after the point she would have died they would not only corrupt the time line even more with her presence, the fact that she had knowledge of future events would also cause problems.
    angrytarg wrote: »

maybe after the movie they popped back and got some more whales, but as they are so far ahead of us they probably have a way to overcome the genetic problem, if they can manipulate genes enough to create kahn im sure that would be a piece of cake.
    and as we know although genetic manipulation for non health reasons had been banned by then I am sure that this would fall into the health category.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
    edited February 2014
    Which was the exact date, "the 70s" or "the 80s?" Both cover a good 10 years, so how is there anything exact about this? :rolleyes:

The 80s called...they want their movie back. :P
  • Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    ryan218 wrote: »
    Haha!

"Now put away your butcher's knives and let me save this patient!"

Agreed!

"Dialysis? What is this, the Dark Ages?"

I'm also a big fan of Scotty's theory on avoiding temporal paradox "how do we know he didn't invent it in the first place?"
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    "Name Checkov Pavel. Rank.....ADMIRAL"

Best Checkov line EVER.

"So I will have to take a guess." "You guess Spock? That's extraordinary!"

But the best scene in the movie, the moment the bridge crew sees their new ship and it's the Enterprise A.

Destroying the Original Enterprise, cost beyond words.
    Crashing a Bird of Prey under the Golden Gate bridge after bringing back two whales to save the Earth, Epic.
    Being acquitted and Kirk being made a captain again Even more epic.
    The looks on the faces of everybody when they realize their new ship is the Enterprise A. PRICLESS.

For everything else, there's mastercard.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1