test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Steam vs Arc Which sucks worse

xcom43xcom43 Member Posts: 723 Arc User
In all honesty they both due to the fact there download speed is so freaking slow even with a 10mb conntection.

I was looking for a copy of STO game launcher and blacklight retribution i fund a copy of sto's game launcher on my flash drive stick works fine with out issue.But could not find my blacklight retribution's installer must have deleted it at some point but any way.

I was able to find a download on one of the sites instead of using either steam or arc they both suck plain in simple i would rather have just the installer and wait for that.

Steam and Arcs download speed takes way too long even with a good system and good internet company.
The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.
Post edited by xcom43 on

Comments

• Options
    goobilygoobily Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Steam seems to be better if you play other games that you can launch through steam or use other features in steam.

I dont - used to, but havent for years. As for arc - just another platform to launch PWE games, which the only one I use is STO. I run it, launch STO then terminate all the ARC processes (shortcut on my desktop to forcefully terminate arc). I dont need arc running all the time, or while im playing STO.
  • Options
    baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    isn't 10 mbit/sec the lowest bandwith you can have nowadays in the "first world"? This is the lowest standard in europe, at least where i live.

and my steam/arc have ZERO influence on my download speed...yours probably too. you can set both to use the full bandwith of your connection, you should check if you actually activated this option (it is a default anyway)

and where you left your blacklight retribution installer is hardly of any concern.

if this thread was intended to give feedback about arc/steam, you failed, since your info is either not true (at least for most people that use it) or irrelevant.
    Go pro or go home
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    baudl wrote: »
    isn't 10 mbit/sec the lowest bandwith you can have nowadays in the "first world"? This is the lowest standard in europe, at least where i live.

and my steam/arc have ZERO influence on my download speed...yours probably too. you can set both to use the full bandwith of your connection, you should check if you actually activated this option (it is a default anyway)

and where you left your blacklight retribution installer is hardly of any concern.

if this thread was intended to give feedback about arc/steam, you failed, since your info is either not true (at least for most people that use it) or irrelevant.

Yes and i am not going to pay for 50 mbit/sec when 10 does just as good if not better in many cases.

Well then how come when i was downloading on both Steam and Arc my speed was barely hitting kbit/sec and in my fire fox download it is hitting 1.3mbits/sec.
    The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.
  • Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I've used Steam since STO launched in 2010.

(And yes, it WAS on Steam back then.)

Had no real issues with Steam, aside from not being able to access my games for unknown reasons. However these only seem to occur like...once a year or so. I hear Steam is finally working on a means to access your games without checking in with Valve (play offline, etc.), but they've yet to fall through on this.

There was a noticeable launch time increase when using ARC on my old system, but the game performed normally afterward. I did not need to download through ARC since STO was already installed on my old system.

Download speeds through Steam for me are usually 1.8-2 mb/s.
  • Options
    tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Even if you install ARC to install STO, you do not need to use ARC to launch the game once it is installed, the old launcher is in the installation folder for STO, and there is nothing to stop you from launching it an accessing the game that way (at least until they change it).
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    i don't know...but that doesn't mean that steam and arc reduce your download speed on purpose. They normaly don't do that, only if you set the bandwith lower by yourself.

OR

you were downloading patching more games simultaniously, and after you closed both, your bandwith was free again.

i can only guess here, because how you describe your problem with the 2 makes no sense from where i'm sitting.
    Go pro or go home
  • Options
    jbmonroejbmonroe Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    xcom43 wrote: »
    Yes and i am not going to pay for 50 mbit/sec when 10 does just as good if not better in many cases.

Well then how come when i was downloading on both Steam and Arc my speed was barely hitting kbit/sec and in my fire fox download it is hitting 1.3mbits/sec.

Tell me a scenario where 10mbit/sec is better than 50mbit/sec--I could use the laugh.

If Steam and Arc are doing FTP downloads, they'll be slower because FTP is slower than HTTP, which is what Firefox is doing. The speed of a download depends on how the packets are routed and how quickly the serving side can meet demand for packets. Blaming a specific piece of software isn't the way to go since most of them use the same TCP/IP libraries.
    boldly-watched.png
  • Options
    zipagatzipagat Member Posts: 1,204 Arc User
    edited February 2014

Steam download times vary greatly depending on the time of day and the hammering their servers are getting. That and it could be to do with your routing to their servers. Try swapping servers, that can help sometimes.

I would imagine the same applies to ARC to probably more so as PWE are going to be way behind Valve in terms of servers.

Your ISP can also throttle your bandwidth if they so choose for a variety of reasons.

I used to have a 2mbps connection before my town got access to the fiber network, and I have friends that get less than that because they were further from the exchanges or had older crappier wiring to their houses . So no 10mbps is not the worst you can get in the first world by any stretch.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    i don't know...but that doesn't mean that steam and arc reduce your download speed on purpose. They normaly don't do that, only if you set the bandwith lower by yourself.

OR

you were downloading patching more games simultaniously, and after you closed both, your bandwith was free again.

i can only guess here, because how you describe your problem with the 2 makes no sense from where i'm sitting.

I only download Black light for the first time with arc and steam and it said on the timer it would take 2 days to complete.When i know i have a fast enough internet connection.now i have 5 mins left on download with fire fox.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I only download Black light for the first time with arc and steam and it said on the timer it would take 2 days to complete.When i know i have a fast enough internet connection.now i have 5 mins left on download with fire fox.

honestly, i was curious about it, launched arc...started the blacklight retribution installer...it says 3h left wth my 8 mbit connection...
    error must be on your end

maybe somebody else can confirm this too
    Go pro or go home
  • Options
    edited February 2014
  • Options
    johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    In all honesty they both due to the fact there download speed is so freaking slow even with a 10mb conntection.

Steam is fine. I downloaded STO using Steam and I don't recall how long it took, but I don't think it was long.

Arc sucks - both in principle and in practice. I've heard people say it's basically a copy-paste of Steam that only runs PWE games. Hence, i'll stick with Steam and get access to all my games.
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • Options
    drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited February 2014
    If I understand correctly, for STO it doesn't really matter which you use because the only thing actually downloaded through Steam or Arc is the STO launcher. Once you have that, the launcher downloads the game independently just like it always has.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    drogyn1701 wrote: »
    If I understand correctly, for STO it doesn't really matter which you use because the only thing actually downloaded through Steam or Arc is the STO launcher. Once you have that, the launcher downloads the game independently just like it always has.

I would rather download it independently.

Then use either Arc or Steam much better that way less spam.
  • Options
    drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited February 2014
    I would rather do it independently then go threw arc or steam much better with out the spam.

We don't always get what we want. Personally I prefer Steam. I have had a very good experience with it. The downloads go very fast for me. Haven't used Arc enough to form an opinion.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    daqheghdaqhegh Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    goobily wrote: »
    I dont - used to, but havent for years. As for arc - just another platform to launch PWE games, which the only one I use is STO. I run it, launch STO then terminate all the ARC processes (shortcut on my desktop to forcefully terminate arc). I dont need arc running all the time, or while im playing STO.

Same here. Arc itself seems extraneous.
    My Old Blog about things that could and should have been added when I wrote it. Not sure what I want to do with it now. I'll just keep it available now that most of it is outdated.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    what kind of spam? i have not experiance anything of what you have claimed so far. The only opinions i have read so far about arc are "it sucks" "i don't want it" "i don't need it"
    not much substance here to form an educated opinion about this new (still beta) tool.

sorry that it doesn't work for you, for whatever reason, for most people it just works fine...
    Go pro or go home
  • Options
    aarek1987aarek1987 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I use Steam for a significant number of my games on PC, and I've never had any issues with it. If your downloads are taking longer than you think they should, make sure you have the download region set to the closest one to your location. Using the wrong one can cause the downloads to take quite a bit longer than expected.

Another huge benefit of Steam is being able to use the Steam Wallet to buy zen without having to jump through hoops to buy it through PWE. You don't get the bonus zen when you go through Steam, but it's a lot more convenient and far less of a hassle than using Arc or PWE's site.
  • Options
    ragestroke008ragestroke008 Member Posts: 203 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I use Steam, mostly because all the other games I play are bound to it. I am going to say Arc is worse because it would require me to install one program for one game, which is why I haven't played Mass Effect 3 since before Leviathan DLC was released for it.

But the thing you have to remember is; Steam only launches the game. They don't host the patches. That's all PWE side. Your download speeds are going to suck no matter which way you choose to launch the game.
    Time is a funny thing; There is always too much of it. Except when you need it the most, then there is never enough.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,366 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    It is indeed possible to have download speeds less than 10 Mbps in the US; DSL, for instance, which is the usual connection for those using satellite TV services, can be much slower, depending how far you are from the nearest signal booster. (One of the services in my area is boasting that they can provide "screaming fast" DSL service - at up to 12 Mbps! Meanwhile, I'm sitting here, looking at my 50+ Mbps, even over the wireless router...)

My experience is that Steam causes me a little slowing running CO, and no issues with STO; meanwhile, ARC causes a period of about 2-3 minutes of extreme slowing on STO, and a constant problem with CO. In both cases, I'm willing to attribute it to the fact that I'm running on a four-year-old Toshiba Satellite laptop, model L505.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    daedalus304daedalus304 Member Posts: 1,049 Arc User
    edited February 2014

did you not adjust the download speed settings in Steam?

any launcher of any form has to be allowed to use the speed set, in other words, since every GB counts as money via your ISP, it's automatically set on steam and other launchers to use a default speed.

if you have DSL then tell it to use the DSL, if you have a cable connection, then tell it to use the cable.

it's all varied on speeds so you gotta make sure it's all checked out.

also, Steam is hands down the best digital distribution social and gaming platform on this earth.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    did you not adjust the download speed settings in Steam?

any launcher of any form has to be allowed to use the speed set, in other words, since every GB counts as money via your ISP, it's automatically set on steam and other launchers to use a default speed.

if you have DSL then tell it to use the DSL, if you have a cable connection, then tell it to use the cable.

it's all varied on speeds so you gotta make sure it's all checked out.

also, Steam is hands down the best digital distribution social and gaming platform on this earth.

Yes i did adjust every thing correctly but in any case i got the game and is all most done patching.
  • Options
    ladyinferno2010ladyinferno2010 Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    My 243 Steam games and I are quite biased on this topic.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    My 243 Steam games and I are quite biased on this topic.

And I thought I was overdoing it with my 81 Steam games. Got anything good in your library?
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    aarek1987 wrote: »
    And I thought I was overdoing it with my 81 Steam games. Got anything good in your library?

Well, yes, many things :)

Assassin's Creed games, the Batman games, all the Command and Conquers, Crusader Kings II, Dishonored, Deus Ex, both Dragon Ages, Fallout 3 and Fallout: NV, all the GTA's, 5 Lego games, Saints Row 3 and 4, all of the Total War games, Civ 5, both Knights of the Old Republics, Empire at War, Skyrim, Oblivion, Star Wars Galaxies is still on there (sniffle), all the Tomb Raider games including the new one, both Witcher games, XCOM, and many many others.

I'm a big fan of Steam and haven't ever had an issue with it.

Edit: And STO, too :)

Edit 2: Totally useless but neat info.

Steam user since May 10, 2004

Over the last 9 years, you've spent 1305.1 hours playing, which includes 240 items, is valued at $3589.83, and requires 1117.2 GB
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Well, yes, many things :)

Assassin's Creed games, the Batman games, all the Command and Conquers, Crusader Kings II, Dishonored, Deus Ex, both Dragon Ages, Fallout 3 and Fallout: NV, all the GTA's, 5 Lego games, Saints Row 3 and 4, all of the Total War games, Civ 5, both Knights of the Old Republics, Empire at War, Skyrim, Oblivion, Star Wars Galaxies is still on there (sniffle), all the Tomb Raider games including the new one, both Witcher games, XCOM, and many many others.

I'm a big fan of Steam and haven't ever had an issue with it.

Edit: And STO, too :)

Edit 2: Totally useless but neat info.

Steam user since May 10, 2004

Over the last 9 years, you've spent 1305.1 hours playing, which includes 240 items, is valued at $3589.83, and requires 1117.2 GB

Nice collection you have. I've only been on Steam since Feb 3, 2006, but I've got quite a bit of time put into my games. The top five alone add up to 2,061 hours, and if I include everything else it only goes up to 3,377.4 hours.

I guess this just goes to show that Steam is pretty useful for keeping track of how much of your life you waste in front of a computer.:o
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Don't I know it.
  • Options
    smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Steam has a few thousand games available, frequent sales and several million users. Every discerning PC gamer has an account. Arc has, well, some STO freebies.
    EnYn9p9.jpg
  • Options
    comtedeloach2comtedeloach2 Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited February 2014

I was looking for a copy of STO game launcher and blacklight retribution i fund a copy of sto's game launcher on my flash drive stick works fine with out issue.But could not find my blacklight retribution's installer must have deleted it at some point but any way.

I was able to find a download on one of the sites instead of using either steam or arc they both suck plain in simple i would rather have just the installer and wait for that.

Steam and Arcs download speed takes way too long even with a good system and good internet company.

False premise, Steam doesnt suck. Arc might, havent tried it, but Steam downloads just fine even on a 1.0 GB connection. and screams on my 50gb connection at home.