test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Steam vs Arc Which sucks worse

2»

Comments

• sonnikkusonnikku Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Steam channels the light side of the force.

Arc, the dark.
  • jagdhippiesjagdhippies Member Posts: 676 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Steam gives me the option of using a desktop shortcut to my games so I can skip interacting with their interface. For me, Steam is better.
    My carrier is more powerful than your gal-dread
  • eradicator84eradicator84 Member Posts: 1,116 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Arc is a STEAM wannabe.
    Waste of development resources to be honest. The infrastructure, client, huge community and user base and network already existed, yet they go and re-create the wheel. Obviously PR wins over technical common sense at PWE.

The Arc client itself, greatly lacking, even compared to *shudder* Origin.

I've been on and with Steam since it launched, it's been great for the once apparently dying PC gaming community, which they foster, understand and want to help grow.
    Arc is an inward facing PWE PR application, nothing more.
    AFMJGUR.jpg
  • grazyc2#7847 grazyc2 Member Posts: 1,988 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    xcom43 wrote: »
    In all honesty they both due to the fact there download speed is so freaking slow even with a 10mb conntection.

I was looking for a copy of STO game launcher and blacklight retribution i fund a copy of sto's game launcher on my flash drive stick works fine with out issue.But could not find my blacklight retribution's installer must have deleted it at some point but any way.

I was able to find a download on one of the sites instead of using either steam or arc they both suck plain in simple i would rather have just the installer and wait for that.

Steam and Arcs download speed takes way too long even with a good system and good internet company.

I do not agree

Maybe it's in your head but i'm using steam for years on a 100MBps connection and it works fine.
    I never want to use ARC because I already uses steam and I uses steam for all my games it stays save never get damaged and it installs STO under the 60 mins.
    And updates from STO is outside Steam it has nothing to do with it so it is directly from the STO servers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Coffee: the finest organic suspension ever devised. It's got me through the worst of the last three years. I beat the Borg with it."
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    After experiencing Arc with the Khan freebies, I'm convinced that Arc is evil and what everyone said is true with the lag and the unapproved software add-ons. If they force Arc on me, I'm going to Steam or quit STO altogether.

And the sooner the better, because I don't like Perfect World's business ethics at all.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Arc is a STEAM wannabe.
    Waste of development resources to be honest. The infrastructure, client, huge community and user base and network already existed, yet they go and re-create the wheel. Obviously PR wins over technical common sense at PWE.

The Arc client itself, greatly lacking, even compared to *shudder* Origin.

I've been on and with Steam since it launched, it's been great for the once apparently dying PC gaming community, which they foster, understand and want to help grow.
    Arc is an inward facing PWE PR application, nothing more.

This, basically. Although I only use Steam when necessary (to contact friends, find games etc.) but when I'm playing for "myself" (even a MMO :P) I always prefer an independent executable to just run the game. But I don't mind Steam. Arc? Lol.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    steam never interfered with the computer resources like ARC does.

in any event though i got rid of arc from the backup yesterday and managed to find a cryptic launcher that works without it. so for now, the horse is still in the barn.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,511 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    xcom43 wrote: »
    In all honesty they both due to the fact there download speed is so freaking slow even with a 10mb conntection.

I was looking for a copy of STO game launcher and blacklight retribution i fund a copy of sto's game launcher on my flash drive stick works fine with out issue.But could not find my blacklight retribution's installer must have deleted it at some point but any way.

I was able to find a download on one of the sites instead of using either steam or arc they both suck plain in simple i would rather have just the installer and wait for that.

Steam and Arcs download speed takes way too long even with a good system and good internet company.

Arc did not made me uninstall it after first use, so steam is worse. But its really the likability between pestillence & cholera we are talking about here :/
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    sonnikku wrote: »
    Steam channels the light side of the force.

Arc, the dark.
    Sure, that's why Steam was the very first to ask an internet connection to play games, solo or not. They were also the first to ask a third party program, and the first to do the "your screenshots belongs to us" (they can use your steam screeshot for adds, without asking you) and "we scan your habits and all that to provide you with more targeted adds".
    But yeah, since they gave some discount on popular games, they suddenly became the good guys. I'm sure they did that to make people happy, and not at all to make money.

Steam is just as bad as arc, they simply have more experience, and a more efficient spyware. Also, it works with more games, and they have fantastic offers. We are paid to bend over, and so far, people seems to enjoy it.

So, to answer the main question, they are both as bad, but at least steam have a much larger games library, and they take less of your bandwith/computer.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ragestroke008ragestroke008 Member Posts: 203 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    erei1 wrote: »
    Steam is just as bad as arc, they simply have more experience, and a more efficient spyware. Also, it works with more games, and they have fantastic offers. We are paid to bend over, and so far, people seems to enjoy it.

You are going to have to clarify a lot of what you have stated.

I use Steam, it's a solid free service that only shares your information if you agree to it. Their surveys are optional. They do have fantastic offers, but no one is holding a gun to your head making you press the Buy button.

And how are we paid?
    Time is a funny thing; There is always too much of it. Except when you need it the most, then there is never enough.
  • dracoprimusdracoprimus Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I've only launched ARC a couple of times to get the freebies. Otherwise I use Steam.
  • jockey1979jockey1979 Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I have my bridge officer powers in the bottom right of my screen - I prefer them there. For that very reason, Steam is no good to me. Too many times I have die in an STF or PvP because I have gone to click RSP or HE only to be blocked by "Friend is now playing ...... " :mad:

I do use ARC now, I like to have the in game browser, as I do not like minimising the game every time I want to look something up on STO Wiki or when I want to check my emails while I'm in a queue for a ESTF.

Had no problems at all with the download speeds from either Steam or ARC, but as someone said, these only download a set version of the game - you still need to patch up to the current version, and if your 10meg line sucks for the main download, you won't be happy with the PWE/Cryptic patching speeds
  • baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    jockey1979 wrote: »
    I have my bridge officer powers in the bottom right of my screen - I prefer them there. For that very reason, Steam is no good to me. Too many times I have die in an STF or PvP because I have gone to click RSP or HE only to be blocked by "Friend is now playing ...... " :mad:

I do use ARC now, I like to have the in game browser, as I do not like minimising the game every time I want to look something up on STO Wiki or when I want to check my emails while I'm in a queue for a ESTF.

Had no problems at all with the download speeds from either Steam or ARC, but as someone said, these only download a set version of the game - you still need to patch up to the current version, and if your 10meg line sucks for the main download, you won't be happy with the PWE/Cryptic patching speeds

that overlay can be deactivated, naturaly. So if that was the only reason you didn't like steam...major fail on your part.
    Go pro or go home
  • comtedeloach2comtedeloach2 Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited February 2014

All you have to do is tell steam not to put up those messages, and walla, its not a problem.
  • therealmttherealmt Member Posts: 428 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Why care. You can play STO fine without either clients.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • elessymelessym Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    erei1 wrote: »
    Sure, that's why Steam was the very first to ask an internet connection to play games, solo or not.

This is optional.
    They were also the first to ask a third party program, and the first to do the "your screenshots belongs to us" (they can use your steam screeshot for adds, without asking you)

Also optional.
    We are paid to bend over, and so far, people seems to enjoy it.

Only if you're too lazy to avoid using the features you don't like.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • aarek1987aarek1987 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    therealmt wrote: »
    Why care. You can play STO fine without either clients.

Won't be that way forever. Cryptic has already said that they will be phasing out the standalone launcher for STO and moving to Arc/Steam only.
    edited February 2014
    baudl wrote: »
    that overlay can be deactivated, naturaly. So if that was the only reason you didn't like steam...major fail on your part.

I take it you missed the part that reads : " I like to have the in game browser, as I do not like minimising the game every time I want to look something up on STO Wiki or when I want to check my emails while I'm in a queue for a ESTF."

Way to look "cleaver" there ;)
    All you have to do is tell steam not to put up those messages, and walla, its not a problem.

Or I can just close Steam on my PC and use my phone for Steam text chat (as mobile notifications don't interrupt my gaming) with friends who are not on TS.
  • zipagatzipagat Member Posts: 1,204 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I take it you missed the part that reads : " I like to have the in game browser, as I do not like minimising the game every time I want to look something up on STO Wiki or when I want to check my emails while I'm in a queue for a ESTF."

Way to look "cleaver" there ;)

Or I can just close Steam on my PC and use my phone for Steam text chat (as mobile notifications don't interrupt my gaming) with friends who are not on TS.

He looks like a meat cleaver?
    edited February 2014
    zipagat wrote: »
    He looks like a meat cleaver?

LOL, thats why having my PC in the kitchen is sometimes a bad idea... I hear the kettle click and I rush what I'm doing to get to it :P
  • kantazo1kantazo1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Both suukk badly but Steam in my opinion is worse in relation to customer Services, only in that aspect I hate Steam with all my strength. I tried to submit a complaint to the Customer Services and I got the round around of my life, to the point I decided to uninstall Steam, that bad was the situation, I was unable to submit the ticket. After 2 hours trying to figure it out I uninstalled Steam and will never try again.
    Seek and ye shall find. Yeshua
  • trygvar13trygvar13 Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Against my better judgment I gave Arc a try. I have noticed 2 things.

1) The first 2-3 minutes after the game has launched are slow as Hell.

2) Every time I warp into a new zone I get the bloody Server Not Responding for 360 seconds or so

I log out of the game, completely close ARC (after doing a search in the running processes I found out that even I had EXITED and CLOSED Arc, there were still processes running - not happy about that) and launch the game from the STO launcher. I noticed 2 things:

1) Immediate access to the game

2) Not a single Server Not Responding message.

Conclusion: yes Arc sucks;)
    Dahar Master Qor'aS
    edited February 2014
    trygvar13 wrote: »
    Against my better judgment I gave Arc a try. I have noticed 2 things.

1) The first 2-3 minutes after the game has launched are slow as Hell.

2) Every time I warp into a new zone I get the bloody Server Not Responding for 360 seconds or so

I log out of the game, completely close ARC (after doing a search in the running processes I found out that even I had EXITED and CLOSED Arc, there were still processes running - not happy about that) and launch the game from the STO launcher. I noticed 2 things:

1) Immediate access to the game

2) Not a single Server Not Responding message.

Conclusion: yes Arc sucks;)

I've seen loads of people posting things like this - I must have some major PC and connection as I do not get any of the problems everyone lists :confused:

Mind you, suppose it depends on how often the NSA wants to read everyones HDDs - I must be of no concern lol :P