test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Installing STO without ARC

flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
Right, so I've not been on since the weekend. The reason? My Hard Drive malfunctioned resulting in a new one being required. Thankfully I managed to retrieve some personal files, but I've lost all my installs etc (naturally). Obviously I want to play STO, but I'm not interested in installing ARC in order to be able to do so.

Wondered whether anyone has the original .exe and would mind putting it up on a cloud server or something for me?

That is all.

I hope this doesn't breach any Cryptic/PWE rules. If so, just close the thread. I'm not out to cause trouble, I just don't want ARC clogging my system.
attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
Post edited by flash525 on

Comments

• Options
    kyuzos7kyuzos7 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    play it on steam?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    saxmanusmcsaxmanusmc Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I have a stand alone installer from years ago that I still use. No Steam, No ARC, just pure STO.
    FA Janin Delwynn - Fed Tac Officer
    FA Dion - Romulan Engineer Officer
    FA Zophie Delwynn - Fed Science Officer
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited February 2014
    Get it from Steam, delete steam, put a shortcut on your desktop, then you're all set. There is a bit more regarding permissions, but I haven't figured that part out myself so I just Run as Admin every time.
  • Options
    berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Google is your friend.

LINK

There's a thread (or used to be) on these forums with the same links. It works.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • Options
    kantazo1kantazo1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    You can install the game with Arc, get the free gifts, then go to your STO folder and create a shortcut with the STO exe file. That way you bypass Arc, also you need to remove Arc from your task bar.
    Seek and ye shall find. Yeshua
  • Options
    thyrnecristhyrnecris Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Also, another thing to consider: My personal experience is that ARC is actually LESS bloating than Steam. And it can still Piggyback on 'Manual' Installations of the games, I use it to start the games, but close it once started. And even when I forget to close it, it doesn't try to sneak updates for games into a queue when I'm just having the game installed, like Steam does with a lot of the games it holds.
  • Options
    tecbulltecbull Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    http://files.startrekonline.com/launcher/Star%20Trek%20Online.exe From this page: http://techsupport.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=4341 It works for me, I keep a copy on my desktop. If that doesn't work, download Arc, install STO, uninstall Arc, and make a shortcut of the launcher file on the desktop. I know this works because I took a brand new desktop I got for Christmas a couple of years ago out of its box finally two nights ago and installed Arc and STO for the free goodies from Arc.
    Oil, because Matter-Antimatter reactors haven't been invented yet... Please Hurry!
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    flash525 wrote: »
    Right, so I've not been on since the weekend. The reason? My Hard Drive malfunctioned resulting in a new one being required. Thankfully I managed to retrieve some personal files, but I've lost all my installs etc (naturally). Obviously I want to play STO, but I'm not interested in installing ARC in order to be able to do so.

Wondered whether anyone has the original .exe and would mind putting it up on a cloud server or something for me?

That is all.

I hope this doesn't breach any Cryptic/PWE rules. If so, just close the thread. I'm not out to cause trouble, I just don't want ARC clogging my system.

my back up that had a previous version of STO with the original became corrupted when i tried to boot it up the other day, had to delete it, just as well i got some upgrade parts for it, sod it, format the drive get the stuff in, install it all, unfortunately even with the old installer it no longer recognizes the previous install, basically that pando media installer is useless and you have no choice but to go through arc to install it or steam, since the backup is a fresh install, no harm installing it and trying out myself this arc thing, while im at it, claim that shuttle and lobi for my own account. if it proves to be more trouble then it is worth, another format wont change anything besides a few more hours on downloading the content again.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 4,004 Arc User
    edited February 2014

You haven't, there is a thread on how to do it. Guess what my friend et voila

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=819701&highlight=installing
  • Options
    comtedeloach2comtedeloach2 Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Go to Steam, "buy" it for free, download, done.
  • Options
    comtedeloach2comtedeloach2 Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited February 2014

That is all.

thyrnecris wrote: »
    Also, another thing to consider: My personal experience is that ARC is actually LESS bloating than Steam. And it can still Piggyback on 'Manual' Installations of the games, I use it to start the games, but close it once started. And even when I forget to close it, it doesn't try to sneak updates for games into a queue when I'm just having the game installed, like Steam does with a lot of the games it holds.

Please, Steam is not "bloating." And while you guys are ******** about ARC, I am playing on Steam with no problems at all.....
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Link in my sig.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    zeus#0893 zeus Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    As far as installing ARC then setting up a shortcut to the Gameclient.exe. That might work, but I have tried several times to get ARC to work on my computer and it installs but Gameclient.exe hangs and becomes non-responding causing me to be unable to play the game at all.

IMO ARC needs to be usable on any system that the STO Gameclient works on currently.

Until that happens ARC should optional.
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    CD ROM FTW!!!!!:cool:
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    nobletnoblet Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    thyrnecris wrote: »

Of course. It's just many people already have Steam. And while Steam is worse than Arc, Steam + Arc is worse than just Steam. If you don't have it already, just get an old installation file. There are plenty of these floating around the web to dl. Also old boxsets on ebay for as low as $3, which also comes with a month subscription.

Anyway, installing Steam to bypass Arc is like infecting yourself with the plague to avoid catching the cold. It makes no sense.
  • Options
    chiyoumikuchiyoumiku Member Posts: 1,028 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I have arc and steam and I tend to launch more off steam than anything. Steam actually behaves itself when it idles and the game is running.
    Sekhmet_Banner.jpg
    Defending The Galaxy By Breaking One Starfleet Regulation After The Next.
  • Options
    flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Thanks for all the replies. :)
    bergins wrote: »
    Google is your friend.

LINK

Thanks for the source, but only one of those resources provided anything, and that ended up a 2.7gb corrupt file. :(
    starswordc wrote: »
    Link in my sig.
    This seems to be doing the job. Gratitude. Hopefully (after updates) I'll be back on sometime tomorrow.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • Options
    ladyinferno2010ladyinferno2010 Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    noblet wrote: »
    And while Steam is worse than Arc

Ahhhaah, thanks for the laugh!
  • Options
    sfc#5932 sfc Member Posts: 992 Bug Hunter
    edited February 2014
    lucho80 wrote: »
    Get it from Steam, delete steam, put a shortcut on your desktop, then you're all set. There is a bit more regarding permissions, but I haven't figured that part out myself so I just Run as Admin every time.
    Uninstalling Steam deletes all games.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    noblet wrote: »
    And while Steam is worse than Arc,

thats like putting the horse on top of the cart at this time.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    indysharkindyshark Member Posts: 1,543 Arc User
    bergins wrote: »
    Google is your friend.

LINK

Thank you for posting this!
  • Options
    murkalael#7691 murkalael Member Posts: 184 Arc User
    If you have the startrekonline.exe from game folder, no need for arc or steam (I hate both with all my soul). Just launch it and it will update and run smoothly.
    IInLzhi.gif