test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Um.. Why isn't there a weekend event every weekend???

2»

Comments

• Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited February 2014
    I wonder why they are called Weekend events, they don't last 2 days nor are they every weekend. Call them fortnightly events as they seem to be scheduled every fortnight.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    wrenfuwrenfu Member Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    To put it short, Cryptic doesn't want to be like Wargaming where weekend events are every weekend and therefore no longer anything special.

but wargaming is one of the largest profit earning F2P companies ever. why NOT be like them? weekend events every weekend keep people playing and as a consequence, paying money.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    wrenfu wrote: »
    but wargaming is one of the largest profit earning F2P companies ever. why NOT be like them? weekend events every weekend keep people playing and as a consequence, paying money.

cause after a while they get boring, plus do you see what happens on tanks when there's an event? Gameplay goes right into the toilet. Least with this game that doesn't happen since the only thing that happens in wargamming games IS PvP.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    thenjphantomthenjphantom Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I look at it as building in a break. I no longer feel like I have to log in at a specific time to do an event. The only part that sucks is this hurts small fleets, imo. But i think that's part of the PWE/Cryptic plan.
  • Options
    wrenfuwrenfu Member Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    talonxv wrote: »
    cause after a while they get boring, plus do you see what happens on tanks when there's an event? Gameplay goes right into the toilet. Least with this game that doesn't happen since the only thing that happens in wargamming games IS PvP.

gameplay going into the toilet only on weekends is completely subjective and if we're going to compare ancedotal experiences I find that the gameplay in WoT is always in the toilet because its a purely teambased game and most people aren't good teamplayers. fortunately thats not as huge of a problem in STO since a couple good players can carry an entire STF themselves. at the worst you're going to fail an optional and miss a tiny amount of marks for that run.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    decroniadecronia Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Having it every weekend probably would water down the attraction. Every other week will get people interested without killing most of monday, tuesday and wednesday and early thursday for population numbers.

in saying that its kind of sucky that things like a fleet mark bonus is going to take 2-3 months to cycle round.

I still think there could be room for some limited hour long fleet mark bonuses through the week as that in my opinion is the hardest to grind because of the huge requirements. Or maybe every wednesday is 'fleet day' or something? I generally like the new system but i think it needs a little tweaking.

Depends we had a lot of "hourlies" if they were all turned into weekends, then it wouldn't water them down and new ones could be added. We could have crafting weekends with a massive discount in costs, foundry spotlight weekends, mirror event weekends, STF weekends, PvP weekends and so on. They don't have to be all about dilithium or marks.

They could even make dailies between the weekends and leave the big bonuses to dil and marks for weekends instead. This could be a crafting day, a mirror event day, PvP day, foundry day and so on. This would leave the big dil and mark weekends still on the current cycle according to the calendar as things stand.
  • Options
    torsten1009torsten1009 Member Posts: 454 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Do you still remember the time before Season 6 went live? You needed just 3 Contraband to turn over and there was a STF Bonus Event every wednesday before the maintenance on thursday, every week you got twice the Encrypted Data Chips for doing a specific STF (ground or space).

Now the weekend-events have an advantage, you don't have only 24 hours to earn a lot of marks, but we could use them every week.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    If Star Trek Online was an Open-Source (GPL) Game, we would have a low-grind fork.
  • Options
    uryenserellonturyenserellont Member Posts: 858 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    How so? These changes are coming from PWE who is successfully running 14 other games the same way and turning a profit. There's little evidence it won't work here. It's going to take more than a handful of complaints to get PWE's attention. Someones always complaining whenever a change gets made.

How so you say Players like me who have limited time to play have less incentive to spend their precious videogame time in STO during the week. It wouldn't be so bad if there was never such a thing as hourly events, but since there was and it was taken away it leaves a bad taste in our mouth, and of course the dilithium sinks would be even more painful than now.

Weekend events do not make up for it when you can't spend an appreciable amount of time playing on a weekend.

My issue was with the worthless hourly events, not the idea of hourly events. There were events that clogged the schedule like vault shuttle, time to craft that and getting an extra data chip from the midterm. Remove those and hourly events would be useful useful, popular and we'd always have a useful one available during our play time. Like most people my STO play time focused on dilithium and mark farming, and when there was no bonus event going on I wasn't logged on. I managed to get a few bonus events per week but because of the worthless event clogging the schedule it was a TRIBBLE shoot getting them on a regular basis.

If there was a bonus dilithium weekend every weekend I wouldn't mind the loss of hourly events, but I'm not someone who spends hours playing this. If that's the kind of player they're trying to cater to fine, but I'm not gonna stick around. There are greener MMO pastures in the near future.
  • Options
    shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Well if they see profit margins start to fall off, along with player numbers than they know they made a big mistake.

If profits seem to stay frozen, along with player numbers than they didn't really do anything to improve the game nor their profits.

If profits seem to increase along with player numbers, than they did what they intended to do.

Don't get me wrong I for one don't really like getting less marks due to no hourly events, but I live with it and still net my day's quota even if it takes an extra hour or two. :(
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    That's what concerns me. Coming from City of Heroes I've seen how the Eastern market mindset responds when they can't grasp what we in the Western market expect of our games and what we won't accept.
    *points at everything Blizzard has ever made*

Honestly.... I think Blizzard did it first. :P
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    ladyinferno2010ladyinferno2010 Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    It almost feels like I'm only going to play every 2 weekends instead of daily.

I don't think that's a good thing.
  • Options
    brigadooombrigadooom Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Despite rotating what the event is each time they run a weekend event, I would guess they want to keep it 'special' and not have us get into the habit of just logging on to play each weekend and forgo the week itself.
    ----
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    franc275franc275 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    *my 2 cents- take it or leave it*

I'll continue to play regardless, but now really just on FED side, because the only thing that ever popped in the ques on KDF PVE was during Mark Bonus hours (if you were lucky).

so back to FED side, I used to log in for 2-3 hours a day usually around the bonus mark hours, sometimes would even stay on a little longer to catch the hours. No incentive to be specific to long in at certain times, or stay on longer waiting for certain events.

Is it nice to have extra dil weekend, sure - but I wasn't able to log in 2 of the days. (personal preference). It would be interesting to see a revolving daily (all day long) event calendar. maybe 5 different events, 5 day schedule, so with a 7 day week not every day is the same. Dil, Marks, Academy event (good for lower level), Mirror in some fashion, maybe a PVP event - extra dil or FM.

It's human nature to be against change - but change is not always bad. Change can be good, we just have to learn to adapt - or persuade the change to go in our favor.

I think early on, the hourly calendar directed a lot of my play - now without it - I'm kind of lost as a game plan...
  • Options
    marc8219marc8219 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    This weekend event was nice but doesn't seem like we will get events often enough to make up for the ones we lost, change it back. I already took a break for a couple months just recently, I have no problem taking very long breaks in between these events if thats the route STO will go.
    Tala -KDF Tac- House of Beautiful Orions
  • Options
    uryenserellonturyenserellont Member Posts: 858 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    brigadooom wrote: »
    Despite rotating what the event is each time they run a weekend event, I would guess they want to keep it 'special' and not have us get into the habit of just logging on to play each weekend and forgo the week itself.

But isn't that exactly what's going to happen? I mean for me I'm not even getting my desired STFs to pop, and with the hourly events I could get every single one to pop during the bonus mark event. It really does feel like it's only worth playing during the bonus events now.