test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Um.. Why isn't there a weekend event every weekend???

lexusk19lexusk19 Member Posts: 1,412 Arc User
So I just realized that there are only 2 weekend events for this month.. Um why? They already killed good ways to lvl from mirror event, pretty much killed all my drive to get fleet marks from no bonus hours.. And now there is only 2 events per month??? So maby in 4 months I might see an event that interests me?
1e3sni150tar.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• setheweavilesetheweavile Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    To put it short, Cryptic doesn't want to be like Wargaming where weekend events are every weekend and therefore no longer anything special.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • groomofweirdgroomofweird Member Posts: 1,045 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Judging by how lucrative this dilithium event has been for those willing to hammer away at it I see the rep bonus event and others as being hopefully just as lucrative.
    Nimoysig1_zpsr79joxz3.jpg
    "If this will be our end, then I will have them make SUCH an end as to be worthy of rememberance! Out of torpedos you say?! Find me the ferengi!".
  • lexusk19lexusk19 Member Posts: 1,412 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Well then they shouldn't call it a weekend event. Call it a bi-weekly event. And my larger concern is that it will take months for an event to come around again. Where as before it might take a day to get one of the hour events lined up.
    1e3sni150tar.jpg
  • adamwehn1979adamwehn1979 Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~Bluegeek
    These aren't the droids you're looking for.
    edited February 2014
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~Bluegeek

I don't see it as a competition, and I am trying to have fun. With a new event each week it would give me something to look forward to. As is, it just means I have to wait 2 or 3 more months before I can do an event that will help me in doing what I like to have fun in the first place. :S
    1e3sni150tar.jpg
  • tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Okay, so rather than certain specialized events occurring every hour or so through the day, they have one larger event that run from Friday till Monday every two weeks that effects an entire category of in game activities.

I fail to see how this is a problem.
    edited February 2014
    Which is EXACTLY why they don't run the event every weekend.

Instead of getting sick and tired of the event because it gets held on every weekend which will result in dwindling participation because of boredom from over exposure, people look forward to the event every few months with eager anticipation and flock to login and participate when it gets held.

So I have to look forward to waiting months for say mirror event? Or another reputation mark grind? XP event? Where as with the old system it was guaranteed to be there every day. This just seems like a feeble attempt to stretch out the grinds even more.
    1e3sni150tar.jpg
  • eradicator84eradicator84 Member Posts: 1,116 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Cryptic don't want you to have fun... just want you in game longer = spend more money

They're just slowly etching away at what we can achieve per day/week. It's the boiling frog scenario.
    Make users grind more and more and more without noticing they're getting less in return for time spent.

Best you can do for the Dilithiums is do STFs constantly and save your BNPs and OMs. Then when event rolls around spend the entire weekend converting them all to last you the time gap till event shows again.
    AFMJGUR.jpg
  • tangolighttangolight Member Posts: 777 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    lexusk19 wrote: »
    Well then they shouldn't call it a weekend event. Call it a bi-weekly event. And my larger concern is that it will take months for an event to come around again. Where as before it might take a day to get one of the hour events lined up.

It's a weekend event, not a weekly weekend event.
  • aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Um.. Why isn't there a weekend event every weekend???

Because PWE wants more "grind on demand when we want to show off our player count" and less of that silly "grind when it works for you" that the rotating hourly/daily events calendar used to provide. ;)
  • moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    lexusk19 wrote: »
    So I have to look forward to waiting months for say mirror event? Or another reputation mark grind? XP event? Where as with the old system it was guaranteed to be there every day. This just seems like a feeble attempt to stretch out the grinds even more.

That's the point of an MMO. Get players playing longer.
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • abfabfleetabfabfleet Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Because PWE wants more "grind on demand when we want to show off our player count" and less of that silly "grind when it works for you" that the rotating hourly/daily events calendar used to provide. ;)

It's about GREEEEEEED and LOCKBOXES:mad:
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    That's the point of an MMO. Get players playing longer.
    BINGO! It's not a game that is meant to be played for 5 minutes every week or so. you're supposed to play for hours a day.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    tekehd wrote: »
    Okay, so rather than certain specialized events occurring every hour or so through the day, they have one larger event that run from Friday till Monday every two weeks that effects an entire category of in game activities.

me also, most of the hourly events were about as much use as a chocolate teapot and they often as not either got missed or happened when I could not play.

you could not have a 5 day event every weekend as we would end up with bonus overload, I think a bi-weekly event weekend is just right, and its only fair to keep it as 5 days as not everyone can play either week days or week ends.
    all my characters really did well over the dil weekend it will take me about a month to refine it all.
    looking forward to the next bonus weekend, keep up the good work cryptic.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• ussultimatumussultimatum Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I think we can expect some kind of boosters or booster sales to coincide with these rare weekend events.
  • tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    What part of a company has to make money in order to stay in business do you not understand?

And don't try to pretend that you don't want to be as wealthy as possible because no one will believe you.

Probably the same people who don't realize that having server related IT staff respond to issues at 3:00AM so he can put on that next eSTF are not cheap.
  • uryenserellonturyenserellont Member Posts: 858 Arc User
    edited February 2014

It's not whining when they removed hourly events and replaced them with events that may happen once in a blue moon now.

Very bad move on their part.

Even though a lot of the hourly events were useless there were some really popular ones whose loss make it that much easier to not log in often anymore.
  • gonaliusgonalius Member Posts: 893 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    A Cryptic 'weekend' is five days long, so in sheer amount of time, we're still better off than if they switched to actually running every weekend for just two days.
  • iceeaglexiceeaglex Member Posts: 375 Arc User
    edited February 2014
  • nesomumi2nesomumi2 Member Posts: 359 Arc User
    edited February 2014
  • rickdias5500rickdias5500 Member Posts: 95 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    STO is not just a "Weekend game". there is something call the rest of the week. People do play. Contrary to what some people at PWE beleave. also for those who work on the weekend this is of no use what so ever. Stop mucking around with the game and put stuff back to where it was and how it was working just fine before you broke it .
  • bones1970bones1970 Member Posts: 953 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    tekehd wrote: »

I only need fm's and dilitium, i almost only play when there is a bonus to it...
    So now i only play 3 stf and 3x arena for dilitium a day, log out and only 1 weekend a month im playing..
    I went from every day 3-6 hours play time to 30 minutes.
  • watsterwatster Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    unless there's another type of bonus weekend... there should be another bonus dilithium weekend starting march 7. that's not once every two or three months.
  • decroniadecronia Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    How so? These changes are coming from PWE who is successfully running 14 other games the same way and turning a profit. There's little evidence it won't work here. It's going to take more than a handful of complaints to get PWE's attention. Someones always complaining whenever a change gets made.

However their other games are pretty similar and they have been running them for a while. This game is somewhat different and so the change could be a bad thing as the market is somewhat different to their other games. It could be a good thing too, it is just a matter of wait and see. I just wonder if it is a bad thing would they reverse the change? Given the different events in this game it might have been a better idea to run them every weekend.

The one thing I like so far is that with the calendar event I can see in advance what is coming in a better way to the old daily one where you could only see what was happening in the next 24 hours. For example I know I will be taking advantage of the marks one coming up. It will take a few events to decide one way or the other whether this change is for the better or a bad idea.
  • gonjaagonjaa Member Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    If you only play the game on or for the events, believe me when I say that the developers aren't making this game with you in mind.

They need to think about the actual players.

I think the new system is awesome. Dil weekend was a huge success in my opinion.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tenkaritenkari Member Posts: 2,906 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I miss back when there were no events whatsoever...... everyone had to earn everything the hard way.
  • rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Oh quit fricken crying.
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Having it every weekend probably would water down the attraction. Every other week will get people interested without killing most of monday, tuesday and wednesday and early thursday for population numbers.

in saying that its kind of sucky that things like a fleet mark bonus is going to take 2-3 months to cycle round.

I still think there could be room for some limited hour long fleet mark bonuses through the week as that in my opinion is the hardest to grind because of the huge requirements. Or maybe every wednesday is 'fleet day' or something? I generally like the new system but i think it needs a little tweaking.
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    sounds like the OP simply wants more shines and wants it handed out on fiat so he doesn't have to do as much work.

toughen up buttercup.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited February 2014
    I wonder why they are called Weekend events, they don't last 2 days nor are they every weekend. Call them fortnightly events as they seem to be scheduled every fortnight.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!