test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Is STO Becoming Top Heavy and Starbaes turning inot Ghost Towns?

valen006valen006 Member Posts: 26 Arc User
Greetings Captains! I remember when STO came out in Feb 2010 and you paid for a subscription it was new fresh and you work like a dog to get promoted. Then I returned in August 2012 under Free-To-play with anew character and made Rear Admiral in Dec 2012. I know that the developers track players and I wouldn't be surprised if 90% of all players are at Level 50. Which means we need a Level 60% Admiral with a little more grind. We also need more things to handle the top heavy and encourage more people to join STO.

This leads to a second topic are main starbases such ESD, DS9, Drozana, and Starbase 39 are like Ghost Towns these days. I remember when you pulled into one of these stations it was like a drive in movie. Everybody is at the Solane Dyson Sphere. STO space is suppose to be busy all over known space. What do you think Captains?
Post edited by valen006 on

Comments

• kantazo1kantazo1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    What for? I can get whatever I need in other places.
    Seek and ye shall find. Yeshua
  • zorbanezorbane Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    ESD is always full of people. There's a surprisng about of people on DS9, K-7 and Starbase 39 too. Don't know about Drozana
    StarbaseUGC Discord Chat
    Foundry Mission Database
    Check out my Foundry missions:
    Standalone - The Great Escape - The Galaxy's Fair - Purity I: Of Denial - Return to Oblivion
    Untitled Series - Duritanium Man - The Improbable Bulk - Commander Rihan
  • zulisvelzulisvel Member Posts: 518 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    ESD, Qo'noS, New Romulus, and DS9 always have a bunch of player ships in orbit when I warp in. K7, SB39, Ganalda and Drozana I almost never go to anymore, so I dunno. But that just goes back to the point the OP was making. Now if you want an actual in-game ghost town you need look no farther than Memory Alpha.

As for the other point, I'm in the camp that's been saying since the beginning that the player ranks (not the levels) should never have gone past Captain.
  • johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    valen006 wrote: »
    Which means we need a Level 60 Admiral with a little more grind.

[...]

What do you think Captains?

Hey. How about no? How about a little less grind.

As for what I think; I think you need to try using the search function, since - incredibly - you're not the first person to have thought of this.
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • damix4damix4 Member Posts: 609 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Qo'nos, esd and romulan command are full of people. I wouldn't call it a ghost town.
  • whitewinged7whitewinged7 Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    johngazman wrote: »
    Hey. How about no? How about a little less grind.

As for what I think; I think you need to try using the search function, since - incredibly - you're not the first person to have thought of this.

..................................How bout when you "Incredibly" say stop necroing old threads immediately after he uses said function.
  • northstardc4mnorthstardc4m Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited February 2014

This leads to a second topic are main starbases such ESD, DS9, Drozana, and Starbase 39 are like Ghost Towns these days. I remember when you pulled into one of these stations it was like a drive in movie. Everybody is at the Solane Dyson Sphere. STO space is suppose to be busy all over known space. What do you think Captains?

Only thing of end game value on Drozana is the Lobi cons vendor, and it's not the most user friendly place...
    DS9 still has some people coming and going so it's not totally dead but is less busy than it was, again though the game has moved on...
    SB39=nothing there unique for end game
    K7= nothing there unique for end game
    etc etc
    As others have said ESD, First City, etc are the primary ports for things like Exchange, Shipyards, etc... mostly because it's the default transwarp and everyone else goes there.

With fleet destinations now as well, it cuts the need to visit the other stations to almost 0

I only use K7 as a transwarp destination occasionally for DOFF mission hunting, never use SB39...
  • snubdubssnubdubs Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    So you want people to hang around in the main areas instead of, you know, out playing the game?
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Well I know there is a dilithium weekend going on but there are 24 instances of ESD right now with 57-75 people in each. thats around 1500 players. would not exactly call that a ghost town.

of course if you dont look at the instances, then you only get the instance you enter. if you fly into a new zone and you have started a new instance because the others are full then it will look empty.
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    ESD, Qonos and New Romulus always has people in and around it. Never ghost towns. Now other star bases cept for people griniding out a toon, yeah nobody home.

And I am also in agreement, lvl 50 at best they should of resurrected the rank of Commodore and let us be Commodores at best, if not captains.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • redheadguyredheadguy Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Greetings Captains! I remember when STO came out in Feb 2010 and you paid for a subscription it was new fresh and you work like a dog to get promoted. Then I returned in August 2012 under Free-To-play with anew character and made Rear Admiral in Dec 2012. I know that the developers track players and I wouldn't be surprised if 90% of all players are at Level 50. Which means we need a Level 60% Admiral with a little more grind. We also need more things to handle the top heavy and encourage more people to join STO.

This game ALREADY has too much GRIND! Are you crazy? Having to run the exact same missions and content over and over and over and over for weeks on end does not a fun video game make! I honestly don't understand why someone would want that the frustration of New Romulas fixing equipment grind multiplied. But here you are asking for it. :confused:
    [SIGPIC]

[/SIGPIC]
  • oldkhemaraaoldkhemaraa Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    They primary social hubs are not entirely ghost towns...

ESD: Still the most used hub, there are usually not less then 6 instances of it 'cept during off hours.. Usually more.

Qo'nos: No where as heavy a use as ESD, part of it is the smaller pool of dedicated KDF plays, but it stay plenty busy. 2 to 3 instances during prime time.

Dorzana: I'll give ya that one, but Drozana stay pretty busy too, There's usually 2 Drozana instances open

DS-9 : 2 to 3 instances sometime even more depending on whats going on.

Every place else: Yea not so much use.

Social zones of special note:

Risa event maps.... I have seen 2 or 3 Risa event instances going at once. The Social gaming crowd likes to go there specifically because its off the beaten path.
    The non Rp, non dance party crowd has no reason to go there so they don't.
    .. Its a small problem for KDF toons untill they get marauding up, or can get some one to lay the marauding buff on them, or get teamed by a KDF players who has marading. But folks cope, and they go there.

Nimbus-III: Yes belive it or not, the social gaming and dance party crowd has been going to Nimbus-III and the paradise city bar! Why? well,, a few reasons.. one: dance floor! and actuall dance floor! Drozana doesn't have a dance floor, DS-9 doesn't have a dance floor, but the bar@ Nimbus-III does. Not faction limited! KDF and Fed alligned players can both go there. Also another matter that makes it popular.. instance population cap is 20 players per instance. There is a work around.. if it's full, team someone want to come in, and they can now enter the instance where the party is.

The side note, is those who go to such social play events to blow off party poppers, party amps and the like.... Don't Get Invites. Oh well.. maybe if we had the option to opt out of social toy effects the social gaming crowd wouldn't feel such a need.
    But, they don't ,so they gotta get sneaky to get away from the trolls and grievers.

Right now the dev team is looking at what draw players to social zone though, because they also feel they are underutilized.

We'll see what happens there
    "I aim to misbehave" - Malcolm Reynolds
  • feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I think what he means by a little more grind to 60. Is to run ten more levels. IE grind out some levels. Not the ad nauseum grind everyone seems to be thinking of like STFs.

Personally I think the band from 50 to 60 should go as slowly as the run from 20 to 50. Just my two cents for if/when they implement.

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    ..................................How bout when you "Incredibly" say stop necroing old threads immediately after he uses said function.

This people constantly tell people to use the Search function here. and then cry NECRO when somebody actually does.

I think the search function needs to be REMOVED from the forums completely.

Sorry Back to to topic...

We need less grind right now not more. Increasing the Level to 60? I would be cool with that on the two exceptions, one that no gear is made higher than MK XII, and two no Tier 6 ships. Leave the fleet ships as the best available and we are good.
    fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

Fleet Leader House of Nova elite
    @ren_larreck
  • salynraydersalynrayder Member Posts: 139 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    This people constantly tell people to use the Search function here. and then cry NECRO when somebody actually does.

I think the search function needs to be REMOVED from the forums completely.

Sorry Back to to topic...

We need less grind right now not more. Increasing the Level to 60? I would be cool with that on the two exceptions, one that no gear is made higher than MK XII, and two no Tier 6 ships. Leave the fleet ships as the best available and we are good.

100% agreed.
  • valen006valen006 Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Captains Thank You for your response! When I mean grind, I meant doing missions to get from Level 50 to 60. I also feel the dev need to listen to players and bring their ideas to reality such as good Foundary missions. We should make the Sol System, Mars, and Earth more attractive. Visit more places on Earth like Washington, DC, New York, Paris, London, and other paces. How would a Klingon enjoy Harlem, New York? LOL! Visit Sisko's in New Orleans, LA.

We also need to attract more new players to balance the group out. STO is starting to be like the Pentagon, A one star general working for a two star general.:cool:
  • twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    zorbane wrote: »
    Don't know about Drozana

It hasn't been the same since the design was changed and it was more work to annoy people with the fire extinguisher. Now they just hang out at the dabo table and fire off disco balls.
    <3
  • steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
    edited February 2014
    talonxv wrote: »
    And I am also in agreement, lvl 50 at best they should of resurrected the rank of Commodore and let us be Commodores at best, if not captains.

Isn't Commodore the same as Rear Admiral, Lower Half? I suppose if they ever develop the rumored ability to control a squad of ships, the rank of Fleet Captain might be used.
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited February 2014

Funny, when I'm on ESD has sometimes 20+ instances with 50-70 players in each. Have you actually logged into STO and looked at an ESD instance list of late?

Also, believe it or not, based on the recently released infographic, I seriously doubt 90% of players are Level 50. Yes, all my characters are, and the OP's are too -- but that saiod, remember we who make regular use of the Forums are more invested in STO by the fact we actually read and post here (Years ago, Blizzard did a study and found only about 10% of the active playerbase of a given MMO even bother to look at, or post on it's forums; and even less post a lot (say 100+ posts).

My point? (And backed up by big developers like Blizzard making the 800 lbs gorillia of Western MMOs even MORE 'casual friendly' -- something STO has bent over backwards doing since the initial 2009 closed beta.) Cryptic seems to be VERY into metrics and track as much as they can. If they believed pushing the Level Cap to 60 would increase cashflow, they'd do it in a heartbeat. Since they've been talking about it as far back as 2011, yet haven't really done much to advance the idea, I'd say their actual metrics are showing something different (but that's also just supposition on my part too, as I don't have any real access to their data, and they don't publically disclose their actual figures -- the only thing that's been claimed by STO Devs in recent interviews is that since adopting it's STO model, the game has seen playerbase growth every year (and it's got to be doing well profit wise, or I doubt they'd budget funds for hiring actual TNG actors to do voice over work in game these past two years.

Bottom line: When they feel raising the level cap will ne t them a good ROI, they'll pull the trigger and do it.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Captains Thank You for your response! When I mean grind, I meant doing missions to get from Level 50 to 60.

Since Cryptic have veto-ed the idea of an additional Faction for the next Big Expansion (coming @ the end of this year) -- I strongly suspect that they will indeed put forth a Level increase (from 50 to 60) .

As to any "grind attached to that" -- let's just say that the Winter / Anniversary back-to-back grind that just came on top of the 3 layered "regular grind" (starbases , additional fleet assets , reputation) -- all of this is just becoming disheartening to players out there , so they may not be likely in favor for "more grind" .
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited February 2014

10:50 AM uk time 8th feb 2014 - at this moment there are 7 instances of sol system and 24instances of earth space dock.

I would hardly class that as a ghost town.

as to your first point this is in the works and will be implemented soon.
    Captains Thank You for your response! When I mean grind, I meant doing missions to get from Level 50 to 60. I also feel the dev need to listen to players and bring their ideas to reality such as good Foundary missions. We should make the Sol System, Mars, and Earth more attractive. Visit more places on Earth like Washington, DC, New York, Paris, London, and other paces. How would a Klingon enjoy Harlem, New York? LOL! Visit Sisko's in New Orleans, LA.

We also need to attract more new players to balance the group out. STO is starting to be like the Pentagon, A one star general working for a two star general.:cool:

I would agree that it would be nice to have more stuff in the sol system.
    in fact it would be cool if all the planets and such in sol were present even though many you could not set foot on.
    how cool would it be to fly around the rings of Saturn or even visit the asteroid belt, sweet.
    don't think there is much chance of it happening though, and then I dare say it would just be a short lived novelty and the devs should concentrate on quality rather then quantity.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• kolbrandrkolbrandr Member Posts: 266
    edited February 2014
    *sigh* OP.

If we had level 60 Admirals, instead of everyone sitting at 50, everyone would be sitting at 60.

Raising level cap doesn't make new an exciting things to do just appear out of thin air, and if you *are* going to design new and exciting things to do....why not design them for players at level 50?

Personally, I see a TRIBBLE ton of activity pretty much everywhere I fly.
  • bladewolf5bladewolf5 Member Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    kolbrandr wrote: »
    *sigh* OP.

If we had level 60 Admirals, instead of everyone sitting at 50, everyone would be sitting at 60.

Raising level cap doesn't make new an exciting things to do just appear out of thin air, and if you *are* going to design new and exciting things to do....why not design them for players at level 50?

Personally, I see a TRIBBLE ton of activity pretty much everywhere I fly.

Agree, no point having more level, a captain of a ship is always a captain of a ship. Whatever rank is nothing in this game, as like we going to RP or given certain power where we can command larger fleet for war or any other purposes.

If want us to spend more time in this game, then try to build something that we are interested in to expendable our resources for a purpose.:)
  • rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Leveling is OP, plz nerf
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • dongemaharudongemaharu Member Posts: 544 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Even with the Dyson Sphere keeping a lot of players busy, the fleet places and whatever grind is going on at the moment, the main hubs are pretty bustling. Now, if you were to add more cities like New Orleans or whatever, it might end up diluting the player base more than it is and people would become more spread out.

As for a level 60, there are so many passives and bonuses and powers. How high can this go? What would be the reward? If you're talking more episodes? Sure. I'd rather be rewarded with something like unlocking a high reward, elite STF or ship skins or costume unlocks. No more power level ups. It's getting to be like Dragonball.
  • andihraveyandihravey Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    people are in orbit but sometimes it is like a ghost town on esd.
  • orondisorondis Member Posts: 1,447 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Honestly, who in their right mind wants to go to ESD, DS9 or any other "social" zone? It's full of people arguing about politics and religion and spouting misogyny and racism. It's like youtube on steroids.
    Previously Alendiak
    Daizen - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
    Selia - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
  • bladewolf5bladewolf5 Member Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    orondis wrote: »
    Honestly, who in their right mind wants to go to ESD, DS9 or any other "social" zone? It's full of people arguing about politics and religion and spouting misogyny and racism. It's like youtube on steroids.

Yup, it is like playing/living a future game, but talking about the past history that is affecting us currently.:P
  • mspfuelermspfueler Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    And let's remember that a lot of dedicated KDF players visit 1st city daily to access Security and turn in contraband. 1st City is always busy
    Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam!

• orondisorondis Member Posts: 1,447 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Which means we need a Level 60% Admiral with a little more grind.

What on earth would be the point? New powers and skills are gained through rep. Level grinding itself is super easy at later levels and a large portion of us would hit level 60 within a week... Some of us would hit it within a day. Heck, if Mirror Invasion was still around, you could hit the new level cap in an hour.
    Previously Alendiak
    Daizen - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
    Selia - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse