Install Arc
Options

server down v3 1/30/14 [Resolved!]

Comments

• Options
    tewha7tewha7 Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    switchngc wrote: »
    But I am just saying that Generally I tend not to believe in coincidences.

I don't think you should! I'm sure their load was quite a bit higher than on a regular day due to people being excited (or dreading) to see the changes.
  • Options
    sarosssaross Member Posts: 248 Media Corps
    edited January 2014
    olivia211 wrote: »
    Ok, which one of you stinkers crashed the server?

I sneezed when it went down....
    Need help with a mission to beat it? Visit http://pilotreviewshow.com to learn how we can help!

Top DPS 102k
  • Options
    ishtarscorpioishtarscorpio Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Ok, which one of you stinkers crashed the server?

He did...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DItgw1mU9Us
  • Options
    pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited January 2014
    switchngc wrote: »
    Not for nothing, but I do find it highly "questionable" that of the Cryptic (NOT PWE, but Actual Cryptic) games, the one that got a major update today is the one that is down. I would think, and by no means a network expert, that if it were a network issue that other services would be down as well (especially since most unexpected crashes in STO take down Neverwinter and CO as well, at least in my experience).

However... Neverwinter is still UP, Champions Online is still Online, and Tribble is up, just the one server that got a major update earlier today seems to be affected in the Network outage

Again, not saying you are wrong Brandon, or even worse, lying... But I am just saying that Generally I tend not to believe in coincidences.

"Network" can also include network hardware, keep that in mind :) Those other games/ services are unaffected, luckily.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    klintobean81klintobean81 Member Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    "Stay focused, plan your attacks...Every ship is CRITICAL for my people"

Yeah yeah yeah...we know the shpeel.
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    ok, Which One Of You Stinkers Crashed The Server?

Taaacoo!!!!!!
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    mozohamozoha Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Nanites!

Thanks for the overtime STO.
  • Options
    vixenjalynnvixenjalynn Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    it could be that the network isn't initializing the server to acknowledge it is there on the network.

Kinda like when your computer randomly forgets that it has a sector in a drive you have to defrag to recognize.
  • Options
    benwalker2benwalker2 Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Wow you people have nothing better to do with your life/time you just waste every minute and second posting and complaining. so I say do something else until the server is back up you do know what console games are and you do have other computer games/ MMO's to go to stop gut bellying and get over it.
  • Options
    achatefwachatefw Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    heres a question and no im not being a smart TRIBBLE what is ur job are you like a dev, gm, moderator or just pr guy

and theres nothing wrong with being a pr guy if you are

BranFlakes role is community manager. His team is responsible for communication between the gaming community and the company (a.k.a. the developers).
  • Options
    olivia211olivia211 Member Posts: 675 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    You did it.

Yeah, it was me. Sorry. As pay back, I will post more pictures for McAllen on Facebook. See you all there.
    No, I am not who you think I am. I am someone different. I am instead a banana.
  • Options
    mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited January 2014

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    yes.. but they are not as fun for me and so i come here to enhance the Social aspect of the game.
  • Options
    majesticmsfcmajesticmsfc Member Posts: 1,401 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I'm not normally one to post on the forum, of course i'll check the forum for information and to keep up to date with things.

But today's lack of professionalisum on PW's part with this lastest patch is shocking.

I've been with this game on and off since realise, i have taken a few breaks over the past few years of a couple of months here and there.

Now i realise that this post will get one of two responses either you'll agree or you'll flame me, either way it is my opinion.

No matter what spin you put on todays events the fact is clear. PW did not test this new update enough. "I know i know, how can you predict server stress with a new update" This is what people will be screeking.

Well for those of you that have never been in program testing there are way to predict and simulate server stress, it's not unpredictable. ( no excuses there )

Now i'm no longer a subscriber my return three weeks ago was to see if STO was worth the subcription money in this ever tightening economy. It was looking good. until yesterday afternoon when the server went down.

My biggest problem with whats happening is if the payment system goes down, it's back up within 1 hr ( of course it is, they must have ways to our wallets ) But the product that we pay for, or pay towards the upkeep of ( I.E. Buying Zen ) has taken over 12 hrs for then to get stable. What other digital product would people be willing to put up with such shoddy serivce.

As gamers we should demand more. The money we part with is no less important than the money we pay for our cable TV or even our internet connections. At the very least PW should add lost time to subscription accounts ... at the least.

Coming back to us every few hours saying " opps our bad, it will be up soon " is not good enough. infact it's starting to sound like a scratched record. If you can't get the new update stable then do the only reasonable thing you can. Remove it and revert to an earlier version until your able to solve the stablilty issues.

My advice with that is break down what your adding in, new episode , then the hud changes for quick swapping , trying to cram it all in one update is likely why it has become so unstable.

Okay it's out of my system now, i'll give PW another 4 hrs to get the game up and stable and still be willing to resub, if they fail then my guess is this mission is over.

^ This is what many of us have said for a long time. But unfortunately there are a lot of players who simply accept this and open their wallets and continue to do so. We all at the beginning and roped in, it's part of the danger of MMO's. But with so many fans so blinded by their passion for Trek it makes it hard for Cryptic/PWE seeing them doing anything wrong, or at least no upholding their promise of a product that is stable.

Lag is a major issue in this game and being part of a modding community and regularly visiting other Trek modding communities it has been discovered that STO uses a rather ineffective rendering system. Their ships are stacked (4-8 identical ships layered on top of each other) and they aren't LODS they are identical. I read about this on a Bridge Commander forum and seen it with my own eyes via screenshots etc. This is one reason I keep pushing for a rendering system update and a server update. It's more needed than any new ship, missions or grind. Unfortunately Cryptic's/PWE's priorities aren't the same as mine, as doing so won;t make them any money and as long as people keep buying the flavor of the week/month we probably won;t see genuine improvement for the game.

Due to this I have returned after about 7-8 months away from the game and decided only to be casual only spending a couple of hours on the game a day and now only work on 1-2 characters, the rest I simply ignore and leave un-logged in.

aelrhiana wrote: »
    I have serious doubts of it being up by 5. I don't go to bed till 10pm or so, but if I had a guess, I would say the game won't be stable enough to play till sometime in the next day or two. It was the same song and dance last year.

I agree, after 4:30 now and still no signs of improvement. Might try my luck tomorrow, though I must admit these forums are always entertaining when things like this happen. Nothing beats a Trek Nerd Rage. :D
    Support the Game by Supporting the KDF, equality and uniqueness for all factions!
  • Options
    rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    benwalker2 wrote: »
    Wow you people have nothing better to do with your life/time you just waste every minute and second posting and complaining. so I say do something else until the server is back up you do know what console games are and you do have other computer games/ MMO's to go to stop gut bellying and get over it.

lol, im posting here, doing my work for tomorrow (real life work from home) and playing civ 5 all at the same time.

deal with it.
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited January 2014

NEVER!! Star TREK ONLINE IS LIFE !!...And Victory LIFE!!!!!

Plus I'm building another model from polar lights of refit NX Enterprise
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    edited January 2014

yeah, mario cart is way more productive than posting on this forum.
  • Options
    nortyfinernortyfiner Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Lost most of an afternoon and evening of gaming today. Just made Vice Admiral and haven't been able to do much with it because of the server going all lopsided. Maybe Q will take pity on us and give us some kind of compensation for lost time, like maybe some extra Qmendations for the anniversary, but I'm not holding my breath.
  • Options
    imadoctornotaimadoctornota Member Posts: 469 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    2 hours over the week it's been live. I've read every post, and have been reading and watching it since it went live.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

I am very impressed Bran. This really shows what a good guy you are! Some posts can be so full of misplaced and idiotic rage that I can't even stand to read beyond it becoming obvious that it is that kind of post. You get a big pat on the back from me buddy!
    Thanks for the expansion that had "as much content as the last"
    9 Episodes = 30+ episodes...?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    It's pronounced "S.T.O." "Stow" sounds idiotic! lol
  • Options
    pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited January 2014
    achatefw wrote: »
    BranFlakes role is community manager. His team is responsible for communication between the gaming community and the company (a.k.a. the developers).

As well as this: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=14416481&highlight=entertainment#post14416481

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Yeah, it was me. Sorry. As pay back, I will post more pictures for McAllen on Facebook. See you all there.

lolwut? facebook? pics? and who or what is a mcallen
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    heres a question and no im not being a smart TRIBBLE what is ur job are you like a dev, gm, moderator or just pr guy

and theres nothing wrong with being a pr guy if you are

His tag says community manager. That's like customer service, but without the specifics. My guess is that he monitors what we say when things are going well to report the sort of things we're saying to development, pokes thread to pull them back to positive, and possibly wields a ban hammer.

Close, bran? :)
  • Options
    captinwh0captinwh0 Member Posts: 783 Arc User
    edited January 2014

says the 856th poster
    nerf.jpg]
  • Options
    maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Everything about this anniversary event has had catastrophe written all over it right from the outset. It's not just the server crashes, it's that, combined with grinding for a ship on top of the same ship coming latter in a C-store pack. Every time I come back to the forum all I can do is start laughing thinking about the absurdity of it all. I guess that's a form of entertainment but it's hardly the kind I was anticipating. Oh well back to watching Ender's Game.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • Options
    woodrandywoodrandy Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Thanks for your efforts Brandon. I am a little unhappy I cannot play, but realize that something like a jabbering network card can mess up your whole day (believe me, I've been there!). Thanks for staying on the issue, and I a sure when it comes back up, the hounds will run another trail!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Admiral Randy Wood (UFP) - 1st Temporal Operations Group
    Admiral Womek (RR) - Temporal Operations Group
    Admiral Renan Wartok (RR) - Temporal Operations Group
    Admiral Raynal Waton (UFP) - Temporal Operations Group
    General Kragh (KDF) - House of Ta'al
  • Options
    alan171717alan171717 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Can I at least for one say thank you to the Devs for working hard and late to make sure the servers are up?

I was looking forward to the game after a hard day from school, but I am not disipointed after seeing the work that is going into bringing the game back up
    "I am a travelor of both time and space to be where I have been"
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    I admit it... I did it. I am the one that went through the iconian gate to prefed time to cause server instabilty to not have the game in the future to cause a time loop paradox of me not needing to come here to confuse you.
  • Options
    edited January 2014

You have an awesome job! Except, possibly, on days like this! Less awesome then. :D
  • Options
    rhoricrhoric Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Neverwinter had a problem like this awhile back and STO and CO were unaffected. So it is not uncommon to happen here.
  • Options
    olivia211olivia211 Member Posts: 675 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    lolwut? facebook? pics? and who or what is a mcallen

McAllen is my STO buddy. I don't think he is here, but in case he is...

We oh we oh we!
    No, I am not who you think I am. I am someone different. I am instead a banana.
This discussion has been closed.