test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[Video] - 4th Anniversary News - Must Watch - Explains How the Grind Works

13»

Comments

• knuhteb5knuhteb5 Member Posts: 1,831 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVPlB8Vi3Kc&list=UUn4zU6WXABPUvmUOpluwbTw&feature=share

http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us

BTW, I will be covering the full 4th Year Anniversary on my channel, full videos of playing through the featured episode, and a look at the new ships eventually, and the Q daily mission. I will cover as much as I can, so stay tuned for that.

Otherwise, watch this video above, you may be shocked at what the 4th Year Anniversary is all about this year, and how it differs from the past 3 years Anniversary's. I also explain how the new ship grind works.

Thanks for watching

-Brent

Thank you for the 27 min video explaining what the anniversary event is all about. I found it very informative and you did not at all sound overly irritated. Ignore the trolls in this thread please.

Very well put when you said it could put a negative light on the FE episode with all the grinding.

Regarding your theory on them turning the game into a long grind so that they can create profit, it makes sense and I agree. However, that's not the problem in and of itself. The problem is the degree to which everything STO is becoming monetized and grindy. Skill points bonuses, cool down bonuses, space traits locked away behind lock boxes, uniforms locked away behind PWE's digital gaming platform. The slippery slope keeps getting more slippery and when every aspect of the game becomes a grind (including anniverary events) and PWE forces us to use it's digital platform, I too will draw the line.

To be brief, the grind for the anniversary ships and ev suits seems too much considering the anniversary event is supposed to be a celebration of star trek online and in the past, a time when Cryptic gave us fun missions to play through once to get a free ship. Once people figure out how bad it is, I think there will definitely be a lot of angry folks expressing their frustration and dismay on the forums. Only time will tell how bad the playerbase will reaction will be.

My own summary, paraphrasing your video:

Basically, 400 qmendations for one play through of the FE and the rest of the Qmendations (40 per) from the Q party mission (with cooldown). Meaning, 400 qmendations (one time reward for FE Playthrough) + 15 runs (600 qmendations) = 1000 qmendations (cost of dyson science destroyer)

3-piece set bonus comes from Reputation Dyson Destroyers. The Reputation ship by itself comes with the dyson warp core and secondary delector. FE must be repeated to get the other 2 pieces since playing it once gives you at only 1 of the total 3 Dyson space set pieces (those 3 pieces are the dyson engines, primary deflector, and shields).

Then, combine those 5 items (Vanilla Reputation Ship pieces: dyson secondary deflector and warp core; the Feature episode pieces: engines, shield, and primary deflector) with the 3 consoles from the c-store dyson 3 ship pack (one 3-pack for each faction to be released late Februaryish, Aprilish) to get a 4-piece bonus.

Plus, do 3 FE optionals to get the different EV suits and then turn those into the lobi store to get ones with increased stats and different visuals. Those upgraded lobi variant suits cost 50 lobis each.

There are two lobi suits which means you have to do 3 optionals X 2, all three pieces twice, because each lobi suit requires that you turn in the 3 different EV suits. 100 lobi total to get both EV suit variants.
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
  • flynn444flynn444 Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    knuhteb5 wrote: »
    Regarding your theory on them turning the game into a long grind so that they can create profit, it makes sense and I agree.

If the OP objects to Cryptic's development decisions on the grounds that they enable it to create profit, then it's a lame and ignorant response.

What else should a company strive for? To break even or even lose money?

Really...
  • beran1beran1 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Thanks for the very informative video mate. I am kind of sad now that I know whats involved in this supposed celebration of 4 years of service.

I'm not understanding how this is suppose to be an anniversary celebration when you have to spend your time grinding to enjoy this "free" anniversary ship. This should just be another mission, don't call it the anniversary event.
  • knuhteb5knuhteb5 Member Posts: 1,831 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    flynn444 wrote: »
    If the OP objects to Cryptic's development decisions on the grounds that they enable it to create profit, then it's a lame and ignorant response.

What else should a company strive for? To break even or even lose money?

Really...

I think he worded his argument incorrectly. It's not that he disagrees that they shouldn't find new ways of generating profit; every company does that. It's the degree to which the game is being monetized and made grindy that he objects to.

Also, please, oh please, stop arguing from the standpoint of an investor. It drives me absolute nuts on these forums when people argue against somebody's opinion because they say "Cryptic needs to make money" or "it's a bad investment decision." Unless you are an investor with stock in PWE, you are first and foremost a customer of PWE and broadly speaking, a consumer in the videogame market. Unless the board of directors is making such poor decisions that they begin to hurt the overall quality of a product and eventually the consumer, consumers aren't to be concerned with top-down investment decisions. Why should they be? Shouldn't our concern be the cost of a product and it's quality?

So assuming all companies strive to make the most money and always look for new means of making profit and assuming consumers always try get the best bang for their buck, there has to be a balance in there somewhere. You can't dismiss his argument simply because "companies must make money."
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
  • robobigtimerobobigtime Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Lobi and no one has to grind for every toon or at all if they don't want.
    I see nothing wrong with this business model. Anniversaries happen once a year, so save for it or just don't participate.

My guess is most people will do the grind...yes even all the qq'ers who say they wont.

Oh and it's great to be a LTS and get free zen every month, so the C-Store ship will cost me nothing.
  • gogereavergogereaver Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    ill only grind it for my science toon.
  • gogereavergogereaver Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    they did the same thing with the odasy and nobody bought them. so they decided to add a grind on top of it who makes the decisions there.
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    gogereaver wrote: »
    they did the same thing with the odasy and nobody bought them. so they decided to add a grind on top of it who makes the decisions there.

Nobody bought the Odyssey? Space was filled with them after the 3 pack was released. They were everywhere. You must be thinking of another ship.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
    edited January 2014
    knuhteb5 wrote: »
    I think he worded his argument incorrectly. It's not that he disagrees that they shouldn't find new ways of generating profit; every company does that. It's the degree to which the game is being monetized and made grindy that he objects to.

Also, please, oh please, stop arguing from the standpoint of an investor. It drives me absolute nuts on these forums when people argue against somebody's opinion because they say "Cryptic needs to make money" or "it's a bad investment decision." Unless you are an investor with stock in PWE, you are first and foremost a customer of PWE and broadly speaking, a consumer in the videogame market. Unless the board of directors is making such poor decisions that they begin to hurt the overall quality of a product and eventually the consumer, consumers aren't to be concerned with top-down investment decisions. Why should they be? Shouldn't our concern be the cost of a product and it's quality?

So assuming all companies strive to make the most money and always look for new means of making profit and assuming consumers always try get the best bang for their buck, there has to be a balance in there somewhere. You can't dismiss his argument simply because "companies must make money."

I'm not sure who's arguing from the standpoint of the investor, but I assume that a company likely has the most, if not the best, insight how to make a profit. This makes me think twice about criticizing development or design decisions. It feels like armchair quarterbacking.

Besides, it's well-known that the opinions and sentiments expressed on forums do not represent those of the community at large. Nor do they necessary indicate the actions of those who make them. Intense critics of "pay2win" for example are often among those who shell out the most cash.
  • o0kami87o0kami87 Member Posts: 590 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    well after getting in and playing I'm cool with this grind, my only concern was that it'd be like the winter race where I could eventually develop mussel memory to it, not the case, it keeps my attention well.
    First, Vice Admiral, U.S.S. Wolf Pack-F, NX-101687-FFirst., Vice Admiral, A.R.W. Moon WolfWolf, I.K.S. Frost Bite
  • sonoframonsonoframon Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Intense critics of "pay2win" for example are often among those who shell out the most cash.

Hmmm... I'll bite.

I call shenanigans on the above statement, unless of course, you can provide us with quantitative data that upholds said statement. Just saying.

EDIT: I guess using your logic, then the staunchest critics of recreational/medical pot are often among those who are stoned all day every day... Interesting o_0

But I digress.

Doc, keep your work up :)
    WELL IF THE JAPORI INCIDENT HAS TAUGHT ME ANYTHING, IT'S THAT MY EXISTENCE IS AN EXPLOIT. THANKS CRYPTIC.

IF YOU ARE READING MY SIG - THEN YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG
  • oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Agreed on your tone. And word choice. Once the word "r*pe" was used, you lost credibility, Doc. If you can't be calm during your show, don't film it for your sake, man. And throwing the ARC debate on top of the anniversary debate was very unprofessional. I enjoy your videos, but as a former journalist, I must ask that you try to be more neutral.

If you truly were neutral in your journalist days, you have my admiration.

Too many today are slanted, thinking "editorializing" and "journalism" are one and the same, and throwing journalistic integrity out the door in the name of agendas.
  • crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,528 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Great Vids, Doc!

I look forward to watching your play of the new FE... Hopefully I can hit all the bells and whistles with as few runtrhoughs as possible...

:)
    CM
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
    edited January 2014
    sonoframon wrote: »
    Hmmm... I'll bite.

I call shenanigans on the above statement, unless of course, you can provide us with quantitative data that upholds said statement. Just saying.

EDIT: I guess using your logic, then the staunchest critics of recreational/medical pot are often among those who are stoned all day every day... Interesting o_0

But I digress.

Doc, keep your work up :)

I'm not sure what you mean by "quantitative data" but perhaps this blog post was quite illuminating: http://tobolds.blogspot.com/2011/07/forum-lies.html

And sorry, no. I did not present a logical argument that universally applies, including to critics of recreational/medical pot. Though I do find it interesting that many of the loudest homophobes tend to be exposed as TRIBBLE themselves.
  • o0kami87o0kami87 Member Posts: 590 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I'm not sure who's arguing from the standpoint of the investor, but I assume that a company likely has the most, if not the best, insight how to make a profit. This makes me think twice about criticizing development or design decisions. It feels like armchair quarterbacking.

Besides, it's well-known that the opinions and sentiments expressed on forums do not represent those of the community at large. Nor do they necessary indicate the actions of those who make them. Intense critics of "pay2win" for example are often among those who shell out the most cash.
    offtopic
    while your statements are assumed true I have one question, "Intense critics of "pay2win" for example are often among those who shell out the most cash." How is this part reliant? I've put a bit of money into this game yes, but I don't want to have an advantage over a play that paid less than I did, I have bought what I bought for cosmetics, cheap gimmicks, not throw $20 at the game and be "god modding"
    First, Vice Admiral, U.S.S. Wolf Pack-F, NX-101687-FFirst., Vice Admiral, A.R.W. Moon WolfWolf, I.K.S. Frost Bite
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    If you think this is grinding you should go try Lord of the Rings online and see what you have to grind there for each of your characters compared to this.

Complaining as in the video about doing it for 17 characters, is really complaining about something of your own doing. I doubt the average player has anywhere near that.
    edited January 2014
    dark4blood wrote: »
    The grinding added on top of having to pay for it is ridiculous. Cryptic really needs to stop trying to fill the void due to lack of gameplay by making us grind.

Or just trade the dilithium for the zen and do a few surveys, you aren't actually "paying" for it.

And no the actual surveys aren't the try then buy deals.

And to the typical "trojan" posters. No those surveys don't have trojans with them. I have 2 anti-virus systems and an ad-sweeper. Not once has anything been detected by them since I started doing the surveys.

No you don't always find a survey you can participate on, but there are enough that you can make significant amounts of zen.

Haven't had to buy anything yet. Unless you are one of those that has to have it right now and just wants things handed to you.
  • plixin1plixin1 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I closed the video three quarters through after hearing nothing but rant, rant, rant. It was sadly pathetic, actually. Anyone can play this game all the way through, get several ships and never have to drop a dime. Wanting everything for nothing is becoming more and more common, its just shameful.
    edited January 2014
    I'm not sure what you mean by "quantitative data" but perhaps this blog post was quite illuminating: http://tobolds.blogspot.com/2011/07/forum-lies.html

And sorry, no. I did not present a logical argument that universally applies, including to critics of recreational/medical pot. Though I do find it interesting that many of the loudest homophobes tend to be exposed as TRIBBLE themselves.

Hardly conclusive about this game or others.
  • maskedmarvel1maskedmarvel1 Member Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I will probably get the new ships as a by product to be honest, cause when you get the qmendations Q also gives you 500 dil and I usually go down there to get the dil from the loremaster anyway so another 2 mins for the extra dil is some thing I would do anyway , and thinking about it if all the grinds weren't there what else would there be to do
  • vivenneanthonyvivenneanthony Member Posts: 1,278 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    After seeing the video, hell no. I just would put the Dyson set on the ship and call it a day.
  • hippiejonhippiejon Member Posts: 1,581 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Can I haz my twenty something minutes back?
    MUST WATCH ?
    More like should avoid.
    This is nothing more than a long time player ranting and feeling entitled.

And I don't care how you apologize for it, unless that apology includes taking down the video, once you bring up the word that starts with R , what it does is make you look like a fool who would compare anything that occurs in a video game to a terrible, hateful crime.

With this video you have lost all credibility for me.
    I used to enjoy what you produced, but this virtriol and bitterness, I have no use for it.
    And I have no use for anyone who would use the word r*** to describe something in a video game.

Get some perspective.

Peace
    - HippieJohn
  • krowsyskrowsys Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I don't want to cause any fights among the playerbase, not my intent. I do however want the playerbase to voice their opinion on the topic so that Cryptic and PWE will hear. Will it change things? It may not. But we have to try, we are what makes this game happen after all.

Wow,:eek: Where do I begin.....

1. Grinding has been a part of many games, P2P or F2P alike. The more grinding I have to do, the more I'm actually playing and the more satisfied I am in what I earned. Only those with little gaming time or lazy players find it inconvenient. Play the game and EARN your rewards!

2. I have had steam for years and have had Arc for several months now and I like it, I have even installed Blacklight, Champions Online and Neverwinter which I love. (Though not as much as I love STO yet.) I like Arc, I don't have any problems with it at all.

YOU are focusing on what in YOUR opinion is negative. But I see it as a positive. Sadly, What you see as a "Violation on the Grind" I see as part of a GAME, not a money making tool, and I know the tools quite well.

I have played MANY games and I like PWE games the most, Go play EA's games and see how many "Ballsack" RAGE videos you'll be ranting on.

I support Cryptic, I support PWE and I am grateful for their products. Please note that I have Lifetime in STO because it is totally worth it. This video upset me quite a bit because I love their hard work and generosity.

I can't even believe I heard what I did in your video. Go try EA games, they force "Origin" on you and suck the time and money out of you hard core and you get NO customer support or customer appreciation.

P.S. I never come to forums unless game servers are down. I stumbled on your rage rant on what you call Grind edition. Use your time to earn in game rewards and make less HATE videos on your favorite game.

Haters gonna hate.:mad: