test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

[Video] - 4th Anniversary News - Must Watch - Explains How the Grind Works

thedoctorblueboxthedoctorbluebox Member Posts: 749 Arc User
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVPlB8Vi3Kc&list=UUn4zU6WXABPUvmUOpluwbTw&feature=share

http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us

BTW, I will be covering the full 4th Year Anniversary on my channel, full videos of playing through the featured episode, and a look at the new ships eventually, and the Q daily mission. I will cover as much as I can, so stay tuned for that.

Otherwise, watch this video above, you may be shocked at what the 4th Year Anniversary is all about this year, and how it differs from the past 3 years Anniversary's. I also explain how the new ship grind works.

Thanks for watching

-Brent
Post edited by thedoctorbluebox on

Comments

• Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Watching now, and like you, I will be skipping the ship grind....
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    truewarpertruewarper Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Thank you for the fuller explanation. I will not partake in this. I have a base to work on and a few projects.

This will take away time from doing that.

Keep the ships and the special secondary bonuses. I will the play the special feature. But my base takes high priority.
    52611496918_3c42b8bab8.jpg
    Departing from Sol *Earth* by Carlos A Smith,on Flickr
    SPACE---The Last and Great Frontier. A 14th-year journey
    Vna res, una mens, unum cor et anima una. Cetera omnia, somnium est.
  • Options
    skyranger1414skyranger1414 Member Posts: 1,785 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Doc, don't think of it as something that ticks you off, think of it as money saved by not buying the 3 packs and time saved by not doing the grinds! We know the secondary deflectors are coming to all sci vessels eventually, why pay this ridiculous early adopter price?
  • Options
    priestofsin420priestofsin420 Member Posts: 419
    edited January 2014
    You seem overly negative, Doc. Your tone was overall irritating, despite you providing incredibly useful information. I suggest a more neutral tone when conveying large amounts of info, it sounds better that way.

Thanks for the info however! I have enough lobi left over from the last lobi event to grab the ship immediately, but I understand why people don't want to grind for a 9-console ship. I'm a tad miffed about that myself. At least the 10-console version isn't locked behind a Lobi gate... 800 would be way out of my range.
    Sardak (Science Officer): Captain of a 23k DPS R'Mor Temporal Science Vessel, R.R.W. Vathos
    Odan Brota (Science Officer): Captain of a 28k DPS Scryer Intel Science Vessel, U.S.S. Kepler
    Patiently waiting for a Romulan Science Vessel
  • Options
    captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    When ever someone puts -Must Watch- for their own video it makes me not want to watch it.

I know how the grind works anyway, but i hope others get something useful out of it.
  • Options
    sirboulevardsirboulevard Member Posts: 722 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    You seem overly negative, Doc. Your tone was overall irritating, despite you providing incredibly useful information. I suggest a more neutral tone when conveying large amounts of info, it sounds better that way.

Thanks for the info however! I have enough lobi left over from the last lobi event to grab the ship immediately, but I understand why people don't want to grind for a 9-console ship. I'm a tad miffed about that myself. At least the 10-console version isn't locked behind a Lobi gate... 800 would be way out of my range.

Agreed on your tone. And word choice. Once the word "r*pe" was used, you lost credibility, Doc. If you can't be calm during your show, don't film it for your sake, man. And throwing the ARC debate on top of the anniversary debate was very unprofessional. I enjoy your videos, but as a former journalist, I must ask that you try to be more neutral.

I'm not happy about this either, and I too don't like it. I will be getting this ship on ONE of my characters and only because he has the lobi to do so. However, I wouldn't have had an issue with the grind if the GEAR was NOT involved. This ship statisically is miles above the free Odyssey and free Ambassador. If it was just a bog standard version I would have been fine. But the free version is like the Lobi version of the Obelisk from last time in this event. And I do think that was wrong.

And Doc, on a personal note, I'm almost postive the set bonuses will turn out to be mediocre at best and the Fleet Gear will outclass it. Plus it will probably only work on THIS specific ship. If it angers you this much: just get the C-store version and load it up with Fleet Gear, that WILL be the superior ship.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TRIBBLE Hydra! Hail Janeway!
  • Options
    wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    You forgot to mention that the C-Store version is going to be a three pack, though from the sound of it, it will be faction specific, meaning $50 for the Romulans, $50 for the Klingons, and $50 for the Feds.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=14749401&postcount=31
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I think the video was a pretty good reflection of most in the STO community really feels at this point in time. People are genuinely upset at Perfect World and feels they pushed us too far this time in adapting STO into the Eastern MMO format.

They are forcing ARC on us and bribing us to test the product, which still has questionable programming, like it installing BHOs on your internet browsers (without permission). And everyone I know or talked to, immediately deleted ARC. And somehow I feel that Perfect World doesn't know that and think we accept the technology, when we really don't.

So that's going to be a major point of contention if this goes live and it's forced us on it.

And the Grind......., they gave the impression they were lessening the grind when they made the Dyson Reputation, but lo and behold they added it to the Winter Event and now the fourth Anniversary. People are already passed their cracking points when having to do multiple grinds on multiple characters. A friend of mine actually had a mental breakdown during the winter event, because of the excessive grind. And he got banned because of it.

Given all this negativity they are throwing at us, I can't help but to think that something serious is about to happen in the STO community. Given we just got Khan's uniform, it could suffice to say that STO very well soon go up like the Reliant.
  • Options
    longasclongasc Member Posts: 490
    edited January 2014
    It takes 02:52 minutes till you start talking about the anniversary event and how it works and then you are really taking your time to make a point.

I am at 5:00 now and I am pretty sure if you go on like that I am not going to watch another minute, sorry. Sorry to be snide, but in 30 minutes I can probably do the dailies you were talking about, without going into any further detail.
  • Options
    longasclongasc Member Posts: 490
    edited January 2014
    Not by watching the video but asking got me the answer:

The daily mission is the "Party Patrol" click thing on ground we already had for the 3rd anniversary. It takes a few minutes on average, if you have a lot of alts it takes some time indeed.
  • Options
    ari3sholeari3shole Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I really liked video, and it speaks very truthful and with concerning tone.
    Lets face it Cryptic TRIBBLE up big this time.
  • Options
    undyingzeroundyingzero Member Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    No idea why it says 'Must Watch' in the video title when it's really just more complaining and DOOOOOOM! we see at a daily basis on these forums. This video was neither informative nor neutral.
  • Options
    sophus84atsophus84at Member Posts: 404 Arc User
    edited January 2014

Great Video.

but seriously WTF PWE/Cryptic!?!?!?!!

This is not an anniversary. "Presents" are meant to be not only free but also not to have to grind 25 days for it.

Its now nearly one year and we have one grindafter the other each month!!!! you cant really play the game anymore normally just for fun as each grind is exchanged with the next grind. in the past it was just the winter... then summer okay so 6 months time between the grinds.. not we have 3 days break between the different grinds???
    "Mei Borg is net deppat".....

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Wow.

I was hoping you had some sort of preview of "How the Grind Works": How the actual daily missions will work.

I didn't expect a 27 min long rehash of what I've read in the forums.

Can't say I disagree with how you feel about it, but I think your thread title is a little misleading to those of us who have been keeping up on this here in the forums and want answers on the actual grind mechanics.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • Options
    aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    For a long time, I've considered "Must Watch" to be more warning than truth, as in "Got to get a bunch of views before word gets around."

This "DOOOOOM" video rehashing forum news with zero new information on "how the grind works" does nothing whatsoever to dispel that notion, sadly. :(
  • Options
    bumblebushbumblebush Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Love your videos. When I first started playing STO I watched your videos and without you I wouldn't be as good as I am now. :)
    Keep up the great work and videos.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "This is Fleet Commander BumBle!..
    Vice Admiral of the U.S.S. Prometheus!..
    I order you to lower your shields and weapons or ill be forced to fire upon you!!!"
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Agreed on your tone. And word choice. Once the word "r*pe" was used, you lost credibility, Doc. If you can't be calm during your show, don't film it for your sake, man. And throwing the ARC debate on top of the anniversary debate was very unprofessional. I enjoy your videos, but as a former journalist, I must ask that you try to be more neutral.

Apologies for the usage of the word, I was overly emotional when dissecting the information and figuring out what it meant and reading it aloud.

I want the best for STO, I've been playing for 4 years, since Open Beta, Lifetime Account. When I see things like this happen, it upsets me, and I think a lot of others share the same emotion and tone as I do on the topic.

I hope everyone will voice their opinion. I believe in the power of the playerbase, we do have a voice. I urge for that voice to be expressed to Cryptic and PWE. I don't know if it will change anything, but if we don't let them know what their own playerbase thinks, and wants, then potentially more ugly things could be lurking in STO's future. It is our responsibility to voice our opinions, all we can do is try.
  • Options
    kantazo1kantazo1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Great video OP and thanks for the explanation, makes a lot of sense and those who don't like your video can go and fly a kite.
    Seek and ye shall find. Yeshua
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    kantazo1 wrote: »
    Great video OP and thanks for the explanation, makes a lot of sense and those who don't like your video can go and fly a kite.

I don't want to cause any fights among the playerbase, not my intent. I do however want the playerbase to voice their opinion on the topic so that Cryptic and PWE will hear. Will it change things? It may not. But we have to try, we are what makes this game happen after all.
  • Options
    wilai29#4617 wilai29 Member Posts: 95 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I understand the annoyance of many people about the necessary grind to acquire the anniversary ship this year. I'm a new player myself, coming from another PWE game Perfect world International and compared to this game STO is dirt cheap and basically without grinding. Nevertheless i know it can be really irritating to be forced into the grinding part.

P.S. The grind/c-store combo force is common to PWE games
  • Options
    bunansabunansa Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Good Vid Doc!....although I was kinda hoping you were going to move around er something at somepoint haha

anyway on subject...

This is what I was screaming about for awhile in my own forums (about a year worth) and on my teamspeak is that Cryptic cant be bothered to produce at the level they did the first couple of years....we have gone from having 5 episode parts per FEATURE EPISODE to only 1 Part that you now grind over and over and over ...

ALL the grind these days proves that they
    A don't have decent command decisions and no REAL GAMERS
    B don't have the manpower to produce at the level THEY SHOULD BE
    C its busy work due to the fact we have nothing else to do...lets face it

If content was created to actually last a few weeks that wasn't a "DAILY" objective we the players would be content for that content...erp...anyway but they just don't have the above mentioned going for them....

It takes a lot to run a mmo properly and I just don't think cryptic has what it needs anymore.....(IMO neverwinter should have never been made)

I do look forward to seeing all the "shiny" stuff and hopefully tim russ did a great job with his lines (he was great in The Secret World) and do look forward to the overall concept of the secondary deflectors and stuff...I shall keep my fingers crossed that the company takes a long hard look and adjusts a little bit after this situation...hell im not asking for much just maybe drop some grind time for a lil more stuff to do overall...im willing to meet in the middle...they should too.
    tumblr_ndmkqm59J31r5ynioo2_r2_500.gif

• Options
    edited January 2014
    dakaan750 wrote: »
    I understand the annoyance of many people about the necessary grind to acquire the anniversary ship this year. I'm a new player myself, coming from another PWE game Perfect world International and compared to this game STO is dirt cheap and basically without grinding. Nevertheless i know it can be really irritating to be forced into the grinding part.

P.S. The grind/c-store combo force is common to PWE games

For us, when the game started under Atari, it used to be very different. So this change once PWE bought Cryptic is foreign to us. We know the game one way, and it has changed and mutated into another thing. Hopefully new players will understand how we old players feel about the game changing in such ways. It started off so very different, with different goals, and missions that provided instant reward, the grind then, isn't what it is now, and the whole grind + pay to get the whole thing is new as well.
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Good video Doc, I allways enjoy watching your videos about STO. :)

Just wanted to say that I can see where you're comming from with the comments in the video and I share the same concerns you spoke about. All of this that's been going on the past week doesn't give me a reassuring feel about the game's direction at all.
    And just like you, I also want what's best for STO because I'd like to have it around for many years to come.

I'm at a point where I seriously doubt that Cryptic will reconsider anything for the future, seeing previous examples of how it works when they decide something - it's either that or nothing. I do hope that all the negative feedback will at least make them think and ask themselves wheather this model they're pushing is a good thing for the longetivity of this game or not.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    atalossataloss Member Posts: 563 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    thank you for posting this and I'm watching it now.
    One day Cryptic will be free from their Perfect World overlord. Until that day comes, they will continue to pamper the whales of this game, and ignore everyone that isn't a whale.
  • Options
    o0kami87o0kami87 Member Posts: 590 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I'm okay with some grind for things in game, what I hate is mindless grind, I have mussel memory from the winter event and could do it with my eyes closed by the time I was done with it, also as far as ARC goes, couldn't care less for it, I don't like multigame launchers, don't use steam, but if I have to have arc to play sto I guess I'm swallowing the pill.
    (Copied from my youtube comment)
    First, Vice Admiral, U.S.S. Wolf Pack-F, NX-101687-FFirst., Vice Admiral, A.R.W. Moon WolfWolf, I.K.S. Frost Bite
  • Options
    lukem2409lukem2409 Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    If I've learned anything it's that PWE know they've got this player base right where they want them, almost stockholmed lol They'll keep coming back and blowing money in the C-Store and grinding for stuff their characters don't really need.
    Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges
  • Options
    wilai29#4617 wilai29 Member Posts: 95 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    For us, when the game started under Atari, it used to be very different. So this change once PWE bought Cryptic is foreign to us. We know the game one way, and it has changed and mutated into another thing. Hopefully new players will understand how we old players feel about the game changing in such ways. It started off so very different, with different goals, and missions that provided instant reward, the grind then, isn't what it is now, and the whole grind + pay to get the whole thing is new as well.

I understand you and the old players, just meant to say that PWE cares only about your precious dollars and i hope they wont transform STO into pay 2 win also
  • Options
    arcademasterarcademaster Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    tyraidd wrote: »
    Given all this negativity they are throwing at us, I can't help but to think that something serious is about to happen in the STO community. Given we just got Khan's uniform, it could suffice to say that STO very well soon go up like the Reliant.

This has been said after every change in the game since it went F2P. Despite all of that the game is still growing.

Now don't interpret this as me endorsing the things you critisize, nothing could be further from the truth. But the fact of the matter is that people like to complain a lot, but at the end of the day they rather keep playing after all. And most people out there who aren't on the forums generally don't seem to give a **** about all of it. Or least there are enough new bodies to replace those that do as soon as they jump ship.
  • Options
    o0kami87o0kami87 Member Posts: 590 Arc User
    edited January 2014

I agree here, back when the game first went f2p it wasn't so bad but they continue to push more and more of the way f2p games that DON'T have a subscription side are run. this game is Hybrid and a lot of what is being pushed is unneeded at best. PWE is walking the line of p2w and it's scary of what will happen if they trip. I think if they stopped dumbing it down so my 5 year old can win top level missions they might see a higher return from the game rather than what they are doing to what was once a great game.
    First, Vice Admiral, U.S.S. Wolf Pack-F, NX-101687-FFirst., Vice Admiral, A.R.W. Moon WolfWolf, I.K.S. Frost Bite
  • Options
    lcdrmillerlcdrmiller Member Posts: 47 Cryptic Developer
    edited January 2014
    Mr. Justice,
    Just want to say Love the videos! Keep them coming! I'm looking forward to what you think about the Anniversary FE. It was a blast creating it I hope you enjoy it!

To community,
    The Doc has a great STO game play and ship coverage youtube channel! Subscribe people! And have a wonderful 4yr anniversary!!

See you all in game!
    Jeff M.
    Environment Artist on Neverwinter Online
    Find me on Twitter