test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

An idea to help small fleets - date/ time to be determined in future (post #4)

2»

Comments

• lljkgsglljkgsg Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I am planning on bringing the Devs to light on this and showing them the models of it to see if it CAN, in theory, work. This is to enhance the community participation and help keep the grind feeling less like work and more like playing the game.

Dude, I don't know what to tell you if you don't know the grind is a feature, not a bug of a F2P MMO.
  • wesleycrasherwesleycrasher Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    rinkster wrote: »
    Small fleets = slow fleets. It's a reality.

Shutup Wesley has about a dozen members, not all of which are active. We still managed to finish our Starbase, Embassy, Mine, and Spire in record time and with enough resources left over to give NoP some help.

It seems to me that you should save yourself the effort of setting up the complicated bureaucracy your roundtable requires and expend it educating your fleet members instead. If everyone knew what to do, you wouldn't have to shuffle them all around every day.
    All the toys you can't afford.
  • acrosscatacrosscat Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    lljkgsg wrote: »
    Now, I planned for this already using my knowledge of networking. You place the similar minded with similar motivation together so they don't feel pressured or overworked. This makes a happy place to spend time. The same goes with teaming in groups. That is all I would oversee, other than someone not holding up their end of the bargain. I am planning on bringing the Devs to light on this and showing them the models of it to see if it CAN, in theory, work. This is to enhance the community participation and help keep the grind feeling less like work and more like playing the game.

Dude, I don't know what to tell you if you don't know the grind is a feature, not a bug of a F2P MMO.

I'm of the mind Robert Vixen Jalynn seems to misunderstand the basic tenets of player investment in MMO design when linked to gameplay. But perhaps more shocking is the basic misunderstanding of what people will do with even one iota of assumed power.

We've seen star fleets crash and burn over less with more involvement than this.

Take advice to heart, my dear.
    nabreeki wrote: »
    Why this probably won't work: This seems overly complicated, with overseers checking on overseers, and given the hunger for some kind of authority (no matter how frivolous) and hierarchy, this will potentially lead to all kinds of unnecessary micromanagement and frequent abuse.

Again and again, we've seen the best management style when dealing with dozens or more players online is a mostly flexible, hands-off approach. People do what they're supposed to do? Great. People become insufferable and leech? Kick. Nothing more needs to be done beyond that. Some public channels have been criticized/made private because people got a little too ready to rule with iron fists, some well-known, high-profile fleets have also recently imploded because of the same. How do you really expect to run this thing day-to-day and have it avoid becoming yet another well-intentioned but poorly-executed player-driven organization?
    ____GREAT LEADERS LET THEIR ACTIONS SPEAK FOR THEMSELVES.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • heartburzumheartburzum Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I am a Shutup Wesley member mainly, but I spent a lot of time during the building of our starbase actually leading Starfleet Dental, when the previous leader of SFD had problems he had to attend to, I stepped up. But these days I have taken a back seat role.

Let me clue you in on one way of success, not to say this is the only way, or that it even works for all fleets. Just that this method of leadership has worked for Starfleet Dental since launch.

Having too many voices giving direction has everyone running in different directions and having one person with their hands too tight on the reins just causes the wheels to fall off of the wagon as people burn out. We have found the best way for leadership of our fleet is a benevolent dictator. Someone that guides the direction of the fleets progress, but doesn't lay down rules or requirements. Most people are very happy to donate to a fleet if they don't feel pressure to do so. Sometimes a fleet member that might not have the time or that is extremely casual will want to donate to get the shiny gear as well, I spent a lot of time donating funds directly to the fleet bank so people could buy DOFFs off the exchange to fill projects.

You can spend a lot of time or very little time and if you have a happy group of players in your fleet, you should be able to make meaningful progress.

-- To your actual idea of a fleet, it could work, I have played other games where a style of leadership was run by a core group with input from the members of the fleet, and problems only arose when it came to a crossroads of disagreement, it still requires at least one very respected person to put a foot down sometimes and declare a final judgement call.

I wish you good luck if you choose to run with your idea.
    hb-sig
    You know what it is...
    -Supporter of Cryptic Lockboxes!