test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

C-Z Store and 2014

flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
I open this discussion up after the reveal of the second C-Store giveaway, but is the C-Store more or less dead? Aside from Master Keys and the odd Retrain/Tetrait Token, how much does the average person buy from there? I don't remember the last time I purchased anything of note from the C-Store.

Lately, everything seems to be via Lobi, even costumes are taking a turn for the worst (in the sense that they're becoming character unlocks instead of account unlocks). Any ship purchased via the store is essentially a skin and console only (cause fleet ships are better), I wonder whether Cryptic would just make more sales by selling C-Store consoles.

Are C-Store items a dying theme? Is everything (for the most part at least) destined to be released through the Lobi Store or Fleet Advancement?
attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
Post edited by flash525 on

Comments

• Options
    qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The second item ??? Today is the first day of the giveaway ? :confused:

I bought all the ships and costumes in the c-store in all the time since open beta..... with the exception of that Ar'kif whatever.... one thing I had no need for was another tactical warbird.
  • Options
    flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    flash525 wrote: »
    I open this discussion up after the reveal of the second C-Store giveaway, but is the C-Store more or less dead?
    qjunior wrote: »
    The second item ??? Today is the first day of the giveaway ?
    I meant the second time, sorry. We had ourselves a previous giveaway not too long back.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • Options
    castsbugccastsbugc Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I am going to say no and here is why. We get what, maybe 2 or 3 lockboxes a year? so that means 2 or 3 lockbox ships. now granted that probably does generate a fair amount of revenue. But we also have on average 5 cstore ships too. Those plus all the legacy ones are a continual stream.

Now if the trend moves towards more lockboxes and fewer cstore items (it should be noted that a cstore item generally cannot be bought on the exchange) then we can reconsider this.
  • Options
    catoblepasbetacatoblepasbeta Member Posts: 1,532 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Definitely starting to feel that way. Not just the Lobi store either. Each new fleet expansion has brought a new costume unlock-(all character unlocks instead of account-wide) Heck, recently the KDF and Fed EV suits got plucked out of the C-store and given as vet rewards. Most of the new C-store content has been big-endgame ships or ship three packs. I don't expect those to go away very soon, but I wouldn't have my eye out for new content under the other tabs any time soon.
  • Options
    norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I think long term players seriously underestimate the # of new people. I had to buy off the EC cap. I bought char slots & shared bank space & on a couple of chars more BO slots. I have also bought 2 ships, yes fleet is better in general but one of my buys was a scimitar... the other can be upgraded for 1 module later on 2 characters, rather than 4 modules each. Tons of people buy fleet modules though whether that is with dil to zen or $$ I do not know.

I do not know the history of when it went free but there seem to be a fair # of people playing less than a few months and most seem to spend at least a little. I used my christmas money on zen, probably spent more than most.

The store is probably far from dead, in spite of the spending habits of long term players. How many new mogh ships have you seen, that is new, and people have bought those at a fair rate... how many scimitars are out there? Every other noob has one, myself included.
  • Options
    pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited January 2014
    Mogh? Avenger? Scimitar? And the other C-Store items we have planned for this year? Including next month. Nope, no death planned in the future for the C-Store :)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I agree, though I can't say i'm surprised. Recently, Cryptic has been dishing out more and more grindfests which suggests to me that people aren't buying enough stuff from the C-Store to cover their profit margin.

Lobi Store costumes and ships also mean that there's more possible profit, since you need waaay more than 550 Zen to get a Lobi Costume.
    Mogh? Avenger? Scimitar? And the other C-Store items we have planned for this year? Including next month. Nope, no death planned in the future for the C-Store :)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Anything other than ships going into the C-Store? I know I keep mentioning it, but - ENT Maco Outfit, perchance?
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • Options
    captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I'm not sure it's dying, but there has been a big shift from releasing several items a month to maybe one every other months. The items have since gone into the lock boxes and the lobi store.
  • Options
    hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Even ignoring the LoR rush, if my finger counting is right last year was one of the bigger years for C-store ship releases. That's not counting new fleet ships, which arguably can be counted as well.

The lobi, lockbox, and doff pack ships outnumbered any individual faction's C-store releases (again, without counting the LoR rush, if you count those Romulans just dominate the list in every category), but not total C-store releases.

There has certainly been a decline in other items, particularly costumes, but even if you count lobi and holdings those haven't must moved to other places, they've just declined overall. Cryptic's said they never sold especially well, and the fact that they're now a mix of throwaways and consolation prizes seems to reflect that.
  • Options
    johnny111971johnny111971 Member Posts: 1,300 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Oh I don't know if it is dead... I do believe they have found a more lucrative ship process tho (lockbox/lobi).

CStore 3 ship pack 5500 Zen ~ $50 US

Lobi Ship = 800 Lobi (Character Bound).

800 Lobi = 160 Lockboxes (assuming 5 Lobi per Lockbox (I know the number varies... but that seems about the norm).

160 Keys = 16 10 Key Packs (@956 Zen With today's sale) = 15296 Zen or about $150 US.

Even if you up the number of Lobi to 10 Per Lockbox, the cost is still about $75 for a character bound ship.

Sure you can offset it by selling other items received in the lockbox lottery, and buying the key from the exchange (but remember someone bought the key to post it on the exchange)... so, in the end Cryptic makes the same amount on the Lobi ship.

As for the lockbox ship... with such a low drop rate there is probably 250 - 500 or so lockboxes opened for each ship awarded... the ROI on a lockbox ship is crazy high.

Honestly, I think Cryptic should be required to post in game Gambling Addiction warnings when with each 10 lockboxes opened. Talked to more than a few people who have dropped some serious coin trying to get a lockbox ship that once they were dont they already had enough Lobi for the Lobi sister ship.

By adding an element of chance, and scarcity to the lobi/lockbox ship, they earn a lot more than the C-Store versions.

Star Trek Online, Now with out the Trek....
  • Options
    darkhaze666darkhaze666 Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Oh I don't know if it is dead... I do believe they have found a more lucrative ship process tho (lockbox/lobi).

CStore 3 ship pack 5500 Zen ~ $50 US

Lobi Ship = 800 Lobi (Character Bound).

800 Lobi = 160 Lockboxes (assuming 5 Lobi per Lockbox (I know the number varies... but that seems about the norm).

160 Keys = 16 10 Key Packs (@956 Zen With today's sale) = 15296 Zen or about $150 US.

As for the lockbox ship... with such a low drop rate there is probably 250 - 500 or so lockboxes opened for each ship awarded... the ROI on a lockbox ship is crazy high.

Then you have lucky folks like myself that open 5 lock boxes and get 2 ships during a new box drop!
  • Options
    direphoenixdirephoenix Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I love how early in the game everyone complained that everything was in the C-Store and the only way to get anything of value in the game was to buy it with money (as opposed to you know, playing the game to earn it). Now we're complaining that there isn't enough to buy in the C-Store?

I don't think this was ever actually true in either case.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Raptr profile
  • Options
    jtmarshjtmarsh Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I still call it Cstore so forgive me;) I noticed with this years free stuff "btw the way great job!" But I noticed so far I have it all bought "real money not dill" So I look at cstore and try to find things I want. Sad to say beyond inventory, ship, uniform, bank. I have it all just about. Whats worse is I cant think about what I bought in 2013.. Was Racing uniform 2013? If so that's one. Sure I bought a ship slot and uniform slot. But items... I don't think I have.

We really have not had any items in 2013. Bridge's, Uniforms, and such. Its been lobi stuff. Maybe a duty officer pack or 2. That's it. Cryptic needs to work on this. Back to the days of introducing bridge packs!

I have some big $$$ items from you all. Galaxy X, TOS interior, Defiant interior pack, Oddy X3. Not to mention every uniform & bridge! Even bought me a unused Cat person lol.

Cryptic You put out some fed ships, More Bridge or even ship Interiors, uniforms "The khan one from ARC I would of gave $5 or so for btw" You do that you would have my money.
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    jtmarsh wrote: »
    I still call it Cstore

And you are correct in calling it that.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    tenkaritenkari Member Posts: 2,906 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Avenger, mogh, andorian 3 pack, vesta 3 pack.... not to mention every single thing for the romulans, were all added in 2013.

and it's C-store, sicne its the CRYPTIC-Store, has nothing to do with the currency that it uses it, it was only renamed when the atari points came along because atari told 'em to. so until the Devs officially start calling it the "Zen store" it will always be the C-store.
  • Options
    johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    There was a Fed Uniform in development prior to the release of LoR - it even appeared on Tribble during testing - but sadly it's fallen by the wayside and every time someone mentions it to a Dev, they don't get any definitive answer.

As for ships, while it's fair to say that it was probably more important to expand the Romulan roster following the launch of LoR, their overall record for non-Romulan ship releases (not counting Lockbox ships, or the Obelisk) has been pretty shoddy this past year. The Avenger and the Mogh are the only two C-Store ships that the Fed/KDF recieved at top tier. EDIT; And the Kumari. Whoever said the Vesta, check again. That was October 2012.

Bran made mention of stuff going into the C-Store this year in another thread, but honestly, until I see it, i'm not convinced it's going to be much. It'd be nice if they'd show a sneak peak of what's to come in 2014, but they won't.
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • Options
    vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,336 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    jtmarsh wrote: »
    I still call it Cstore so forgive me;) I noticed with this years free stuff "btw the way great job!" But I noticed so far I have it all bought "real money not dill" So I look at cstore and try to find things I want. Sad to say beyond inventory, ship, uniform, bank. I have it all just about. Whats worse is I cant think about what I bought in 2013.. Was Racing uniform 2013? If so that's one. Sure I bought a ship slot and uniform slot. But items... I don't think I have.

We really have not had any items in 2013. Bridge's, Uniforms, and such. Its been lobi stuff. Maybe a duty officer pack or 2. That's it. Cryptic needs to work on this. Back to the days of introducing bridge packs!

I have some big $$$ items from you all. Galaxy X, TOS interior, Defiant interior pack, Oddy X3. Not to mention every uniform & bridge! Even bought me a unused Cat person lol.

Cryptic You put out some fed ships, More Bridge or even ship Interiors, uniforms "The khan one from ARC I would of gave $5 or so for btw" You do that you would have my money.

2013 had plenty of items that came out to the c-store. Federation got the Avenger, Klingons got the new Mogh class, Romulans got the Scimitar and Ar'kif, Ar'kala and Ar'kif retrofit all added to the store. Not to mention that there were also some uniforms for Romulans that came out after the launch of the Expansion. They also brought the IDIC tribble into the C-store so all could purchase it.

I don't see them really doing any more bridge packs in the long term. Costumes and ships however are definitely a different story.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • Options
    vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,336 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    johngazman wrote: »
    There was a Fed Uniform in development prior to the release of LoR - it even appeared on Tribble during testing - but sadly it's fallen by the wayside and every time someone mentions it to a Dev, they don't get any definitive answer.

As for ships, while it's fair to say that it was probably more important to expand the Romulan roster following the launch of LoR, their overall record for non-Romulan ship releases (not counting Lockbox ships, or the Obelisk) has been pretty shoddy this past year. The Avenger and the Mogh are the only two C-Store ships that the Fed/KDF recieved at top tier. EDIT; And the Kumari. Whoever said the Vesta, check again. That was October 2012.

Bran made mention of stuff going into the C-Store this year in another thread, but honestly, until I see it, i'm not convinced it's going to be much. It'd be nice if they'd show a sneak peak of what's to come in 2014, but they won't.

Sneak peeks are worthless for them to do since they would rather keep us surprised till the last minute in most cases. Plus, if they were to show us something that might not be released for like half the year and then it doesn't get released, do you really think they want to open that pandora's box? We've seen what happens when they promise us stuff and it doesn't happen.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Needs more focus on cstore and less on lockbox/lobi.

It is the only way Cryptic will be getting anymore money from me.
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    jumpingjsjumpingjs Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    sunfrancks wrote: »
    Needs more focus on cstore and less on lockbox/lobi.

It is the only way Cryptic will be getting anymore money from me.

Hear here!
    Hopefully I'll come back from my break; this break is fun; I play intellectual games.

I hope STO get's better ...
  • Options
    pweistheworstpweistheworst Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I don't think the C-store is essentially dead ... but I do agree that there is too much gear and too many ships that are "lock box exclusives" and "lobi store exclusives" and we rarely get new stuff available for purchase in the C-store.

I hate that we have to buy keys to open lock boxes in the game to get lobi for the lobi store and/or pay over-inflated prices on the exchange if we want a lock box ship but don't want to open lock boxes.

The items available from lock boxes and the lobi store should be cool/useful stuff to encourage people to buy lock box keys and open lock boxes, but EVERYTHING shouldn't be lock box and lobi store gear.

I know some people prefer the lock box/lobi solution because you can buy keys via the exchange after mining/farming as a f2p player, but I personally don't like spending weeks or months grinding to get one piece of gear from the exchange and I would rather just pay 2000 zen for a ship and 500 zen for a really cool weapon than pay 10,000 zen for lock box keys for the "chance" to get the ship I want.
    In the immortal words of Captain Sisko: "It may not be what you believe, but that doesn't make it wrong."

Don't believe the lies in this forum. I am NOT an ARC user. I play STO on Steam or not at all.
  • Options
    akanaroakanaro Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Let me put it this way. PWE does not make money with their C-Store in any of their games and they don't really care to. Where they do make money is people buying and selling zen to acquire in-game content at exuberant prices on the auction house. That is why the best items are always "free"drops.

Lockboxes have only one purpose. Yes, it gives some people a way to waste money but it is essentially a money sink to stabilize the in-game economy. If the economy is bad then the people selling their freshly bought zen will stop doing so because they will get very little in return.

PWE knows how to keep their business model running for years and years. Their own flagship games are still running after nearly a decade. The day people stop selling zen is when you start worrying about the game's future. ;)
  • Options
    namelesszombienamelesszombie Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Think you would find more people willing to buy things if they move away from using the store as a gate to having top tier ships. I know a lot of people (In fact most of the people I /actually/ do stuff with) like some of the c-store ships and "account" stuff, but wont pay into it because you have to buy fleet modules via the store/horridly inflated AH prices.

Seems they noticed that its turning a lot of people off from buying store stuff, but people still tell themselves that the lockboxes are not "buying stuff from the store" despite needing a masterkey to unlock.

The fact we have TWO "Events" (Obelisk carrier and now the anni set) that requires you to /buy/ c-store stuff to get the "full effect", it more or less makes it seem like PWE/Cryptic has noticed people are not using the store enough ..and are looking to "nudge" them into it more and more.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Thanks to scooterkhan for the awesome sig!
  • Options
    thegalaxy31thegalaxy31 Member Posts: 1,211 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    It isn't dying. In fact, we'll probably be getting a few more bundles this year, along with something having to do with some of the minor species. We'll probably get a new faction in December 2014.
    I would love to visit this star in-game...or maybe this one!
    Won't SOMEONE please think of the CHILDREN?!
  • Options
    firestorm10491firestorm10491 Member Posts: 109 Arc User
    edited January 2014

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Don't really know how it goes for everyone else but I use the Dilithium exchange occasionally and don't really use the C-Store. Ships have become boring at least in my opinion. I loved the TOS and DS9 bundles and would love to see the other interiors that we had been told were coming out. Items like weapons, armor, and new species to play as a captain and bundles were more interesting than just another ship. Possibly putting some of the older Lobi store items into the C-Store to add a variety of ways for people to get these items especially as older lockboxes are no longer offered.

Given that Cryptic is moving into the Delta Quadrant a Voyager bundle would be great. Something like that could include Phaser III rifles both variants, maybe for those that don't have the DS9/Voyager style uniforms, and maybe an Ocampan bridge officer and the Intrepid Interior for example.