test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

ESD Attacked

Comments

• grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I would say you can flee the area if you want, forcing people to fight in a zone like ESD would be a bad thing. But, the more people are fighting, the easier it is and the random event should be something seriously tough that will require lots of teamwork and people to take it down. Reward boxes would be something good to keep people in the fight though.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Also, if this were genuine, from the angle of this shot, we would be able to see the aenigma nebula (Captain's Table entrance) in the distance, past the residential station. I don't see it.

problem is like the CE event pre upgrade, after a number of shards are on the map other things disappear from your view but still exist. limitation in the game engine. its possible it was the same here, all those extra weapons fire sprites and explosions and shield arcs showing and such...

still, if it happens again then i can say its a real issue but otherwise for now im skeptical like a lot of the others here.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • raptor77thraptor77th Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I agree Grylak maybe like a huge Dilithium drop or a huge mark boost of your choosing. I just like the idea of be caught off guard, nothing like an enemy dropping in unexpectedly to inject some excitement into the game.
  • johnthomas00johnthomas00 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Nice fake.. I giggled, but as pointed out it is rather impossible, but the photoshop work is very well done.
  • karathenoblekarathenoble Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    love how every "professional" eyes say its fake.
  • tuskin67tuskin67 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I'm thinking they used the demo recorder tool + Photoshop.
  • tuskin67tuskin67 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Also, if this were genuine, from the angle of this shot, we would be able to see the aenigma nebula (Captain's Table entrance) in the distance, past the residential station. I don't see it.

Then you are blind, because I can see it fine in the images.
  • aten66aten66 Member Posts: 654 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Ok so I know I shouldn't be fanning the flames like this and all that, but for those guys who say the chat window is wrong, doesn't seem to realize you can edit all of your chat windows, even removing things like your entering into ESD or such. Thats just a point here, I'm not trying to get anybody mad.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    This has got to be one of the more clever photoshops I've seen so far. But everyone knows you cannot fire weapons in ESD orbital space. So fake. Clearly you've photoshopped an image of a Starbase Fleet Defense over parts of ESD. The shoopwork is really quite good, but given that you've chosen to depict something that is physically impossible, the fakery is revealed.

<Vreenak>IT'S A FAAAAAAAKE!</Vreenak>

Yup, fake image being fake.

Also, the 'You received Fleet Marks' is a dead giveaway this was taken from Fleet Alert (or similar mission). With the emphasis on mission, by definition precluding 'just everyone' hanging about ESD.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    tuskin67 wrote: »
    Then you are blind, because I can see it fine in the images.
    I can see it to.

As for spawning mobs on ESD, that wouldn't be the first time I see a dev do that. Not especially on this game.
    And having fleet marks as a reward, why not ? They can do that to. I remember GM (not devs) events on EQ2 that rewarded house decoration and the likes (I htink they were unique reward). Those were "random" event (IE not planned, a GM just spawned and made an event). And they have limited powers.

It's too good to be a fake, and what would he do that ? What would be the point of faking an attack on ESD ? A fake of a coming ship, faction... ok, but that ?

Also, can we add our own images in the steam screenshot thingie ? Because, AFAIK, they are screenshot of a game, nothing else, and it's server side. But I could be wrong.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • wilbor2wilbor2 Member Posts: 1,684 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I think this is fake cos special events by devs are posted on RedAlert in game chat channel branflakes run them normaly n this would of been a event.
    Thats wot i think anyway + no dev commented
    gs9kwcxytstg.jpg
  • knuhteb5knuhteb5 Member Posts: 1,831 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The fact that people are getting so upset about this is hilarious. Guys, it's just a bunch of dudes having fun with photoshop playing a practical joke. Are you so serious that you have to question every little thing about it? Way to spoil the fun!

Now we know why the devs don't do special events of this nature anymore. It's because people would whine about it on the forums. Devs are mean...booohoooo!!!

Btw, nice screenshot :D
    kirksplat wrote: »
    The post counts of the eyewitnesses are not very reassuring.

This quote made me fall out of my chair laughing. STO forum Post count equating to experience and credibility is like saying twitter post count equates to the same thing....ROFL.
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
  • askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    raptor77th wrote: »
    I can not vouch for who took the screen but feel free to contact all you see in the pic it happened I know Cryptic did something similar with Borg attacking ESD before. I honestly think it would be something awesome to see every once in a while.

This was a one time event at the end of beta. Dev's do random things on Tribble every now and then since they can get away with it :P I've been killed before on ESD on holodeck randomly by a malfunctioning QA hologram (taught me to not randomly poke holograms...) but invasions into places tend to be announced if it's going to happen. Plus it wouldn't happen on ESD where only a group of people not all can get to it ;)

Looks pretty though :)
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• commanderkassycommanderkassy Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    edited January 2014

You're not looking hard enough. It's in front of the secondary station. Not all of its effects are visible, due to either distance or memory load.
    ♪ I'm going around not in circles but in spirographs.
    It's pretty much this hard to keep just one timeline intact. ♪
  • thestargazethestargaze Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Wow,.. STO need to do more of that!!! Not only on ESD.
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    knuhteb5 wrote: »
    The fact that people are getting so upset about this is hilarious. Guys, it's just a bunch of dudes having fun with photoshop playing a practical joke. Are you so serious that you have to question every little thing about it? Way to spoil the fun!

Now we know why the devs don't do special events of this nature anymore. It's because people would whine about it on the forums. Devs are mean...booohoooo!!!

Btw, nice screenshot :D

This quote made me fall out of my chair laughing. STO forum Post count equating to experience and credibility is like saying twitter post count equates to the same thing....ROFL.

very much this some here need to lighting up BIG TIME and for the ones saying the TRIBBLE about chat tell me some dont play around with chat options
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,803 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    knuhteb5 wrote: »

Normally I'd agree because on its own it's a pretty meaningless thing.

But here we have several fresh forum accounts all showing up at once to back up an outrageous claim with only one screenshot as evidence that has been thoroughly scrutinized and determined to most likely be fake.

I certainly wouldn't base any arguments on their join date or post count, but it is valid (if weak) supporting evidence that these guys are big fat phonies.
  • mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Retroactive Post Edit of Debunking! I like how all of the supposed "experts" in this thread can't be bothered to do any research at all on the actual UI functions or steam screenshot gallery in question or read past the first page. So far no one in this thread has provided any credible evidence that this is a fake. Just a bunch of chest thumping and arrogant blustery speech.
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    I would think players would spam the hell of of the print screen button and have different pictures from different angles, especially all those Allies on the right.
    I should point out that there are THREE screenshots of this, not just the one, and the Aenigma nebula looks the same in all 3. Why bother doing 3 shop jobs AND bother replicating such a graphical anomoly in all 3? There's also temporal cohesion between all 3 with the player's damage floaters and fade being consistent as well as player names that are on and then off screen. I'm calling dev shenanigans or a bug.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=220443301
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=220443335
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=220443386
    ashkrik23 wrote: »
    I have never seen the log off message with that unique coloring.
    Right click chat tab. Customize to your heart's content.

And what is with the fleet marks notice?
    Because the chat log doesn't erase itself when you change zones. ;) Too bad there are no timestamps in the chat log to compare to the time at the minimap. The fleet mark notifications could have been from several minutes earlier.

See I can do the same thing. Timestamps on:
    http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y110/mightybob2000/4589dfgh3798/screenshot_2014-01-26-13-57-21_v2.jpg~original
    Timestamps off:
    http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y110/mightybob2000/4589dfgh3798/screenshot_2014-01-26-14-11-37_v2.jpg~original
    Ah, that right there proves it.
    It proves nothing. There's normally no enemies in Sol that you can target with weapons so obviously you normally can't fire.
    It's visible just above and to the right of the USS Triton. It's very faint though. Dunno if that's graphics settings or a photoshop blending layer.

People forget that the dev's have full control of the in game environment at all times.

There was a emergency shut down of holodeck once, about a year ago, where we were told during the downtime Dan Stal would do a Q&A at Drozana on Tribble.

Will we were all waiting for him, the dev's made Drozana's interior "HOT" and started beaming in NPC enemies, the zone I was in got the Borg, others got the Unidine, I don't know about any other factions on other zones.
    I have screenshots of that. After making the interior "hot" they did the same thing in the Drozana space map and there was a huge frenzy of chaotic deliciousness. I also have screenshots of the end of beta event where Borg invaded ESD. In fact whenever Gozer used to show up in chat for several months people would immediately start chanting "Summon Borg!" or "Spawn Borg!"
    Also "Allies" makes me think that you guys placed friendly npc mobs just outside of the frame.
    Sol has friendly NPC mobs flying around at all times, or do you never notice this?
    Made in 3 minutes. Sure, the original is far more impressive.

http://starbaseugc.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/asdfdsf.jpg
    Your lighting is wrong. Or is that a preview mode before being published? I can't say that I've used the foundry so I wouldn't know.
    *observes screenshot*

1. One last wave... in chat box. Yeah this aint real. SFD overlaid on ESD zone space
    2. One cannae fire in that zone (scotty voice)
    3. lol 2xtt 1xet
    4. lol 700 damage floaters

Stop making things up OP.

1 and 2 are debunked. Try again.
    The chat log is the dead giveaway mate. It shows system messages, and if he was actually at ESD between the Fleet Alert and ESD there would have been a message about entering the sector space or something akin to that (forget the exact wording)

Fleet mark announcements are Mission announcements, not System messages. Look at your chat settings and then get on my level bro. Most people I know turn off System and leave Mission on.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I'm a bit skeptical. But I'm not going to call the OP a liar, or call fake on the whole thing, without absolute proof.

However, in the grand scheme of things, it's nothing to get worked up over.
    edited January 2014
    The chat log is the dead giveaway mate. It shows system messages, and if he was actually at ESD between the Fleet Alert and ESD there would have been a message about entering the sector space or something akin to that (forget the exact wording)

Fleet mark announcements are Mission announcements, not System messages. Look at your chat settings and then get on my level bro Most people I know turn off System and leave Mission on.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014

Sol has friendly NPC mobs flying around at all times, or do you never notice this?

Your lighting is wrong. Or is that a preview mode before being published? I can't say that I've used the foundry so I wouldn't know.

I'll have to log in to check on esd "Allies (2)" mobs, which look like a Foundry mob to me, but I might be wrong. Edit: Ok I see a couple of "Ally" ships at ESD, but I don't see "Allies (2)." However, if I put a npc group of friendlies into the foundry, it shows as "Allies (2)," which is what we see in the pic. Maybe a npc mob randomly shows up at ESD. I don't see it right now.

I did not try to make the lighting on the map match. There are endless ways to adjust the space lighting on a space map using distant suns and backdrops, as well as lowering my brightness settings in options.

Of course the lighting is different, because I didn't take the time to try to match it. Cryptic also provides their own ESD backdrop for that specific map, which is probably what the person used.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2014

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
  • annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited January 2014

QFT. and it needs to happen fairly often
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,468 Arc User
    edited January 2014

Preferable thematic.

Klingons near K7, Federation near granalda, Elachi near New Romulus, Romulans at S39 and so forth.

Why only red alerts in sector space.. make those inside and outside the SB as well.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • undeadxsaiitntundeadxsaiitnt Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I can comfirm that this is real, as I am the one who took these pictures with steam, and why the bad quality? Well blame that on my old machine, its not the best but hey.

Any way here is link to my steam page with more than just one image taken, i didnt get to see the full fleet up close I was not quick enough, these images are not fake. Because as far as im aware you can't upload images to steam from the desktop. So to those who say these are photo shopped they are not.

I apologize for the lack of screen shots, as the voth ship was soon dead.

1st one, as shown here first,

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=220443386
    And heres the rest.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=220443335

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=220443301

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=221444600

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=221444600

As well as a link to my steam page:
    http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198074976535/screenshots/?appid=9900

Oh and to all those who claim its fake.. again, with the chat box. i changed the settings to stop telling me about entering a system, its really quite easy. The reason I turned the nodification off you say? ..well it was personal preference as well as spamming the chat box. My graphics are low so render distance is short, again i apologize for the 'not so good pc'. But this is 100% real I was there, my friend, and many other witnesses. To those who think its fake well. damn your not very excitable... I mean really? do you not think its really not even 0.1%?..... My photoshop skills do not go that far. Also making more that 3 images in photoshop and different angles? no thats ridiculous! I do see where you are coming from on how it COULD be "fake" theres the graphics being on low. My graphics card is old its a GeForce GT9400 Very old in computer specs, and yes, yes im working my TRIBBLE off for a new pc... I dont know what to add really, PM me if you have questions or doubts, i'll try to answer the best I can.
  • gunsang1gunsang1 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    People should stop getting so hurt over an image and just enjoy the view. :cool:

Also awesome job mightybobcnc. You have my hat. I agree with everything on there.
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Just so everyone knows, I am not siding with any party, but I myself have has the pleasure of fighting devs in ESD space.

Not on this occasion, but the devs (especially Dan Stahl) have been known to just randomly show up and start a fight...

I think even Tacofangs has too; in any case the precedent has been set on more than one occasion.
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• skylordquasarskylordquasar Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I can confirm that the Voth attacked ESD. the screenshots may be fake but the story is true.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlLHUZ3ezOM
  • xxxseadog117xxxxxxseadog117xxx Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I can confirm that the Voth attacked ESD. the screenshots may be fake but the story is true.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlLHUZ3ezOM

I don't know if I should be surprised of this witchcraft or that the video is way out of date.
    Kurland Here Kurland Here This is Kurland Kurland Kurland Here Kurland, Do you copy?

chiyoumiku wrote: »
    Here's a Tissue for your Issue.
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited November 2014
This discussion has been closed.