test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

'server not responding' dumped me out of game

xraiderv1xraiderv1 Member Posts: 487 Arc User
ok...so 19 times I've seen 'server not responding' since yesterday's server crash..today, 10 minutes ago? I got this message and was promptly dumped right to the in game login screen, I'm a bit curious if anyone else has seen this problem, and I really hope no one says its ISP related..if it was, well I'd be seeing issues with starwars the old republic, mass effect 3(xbox 360 version..which adds yet more hops to any trace route cause its bioware AND microsoft), and a few other games that need broadband access.
Murphy's laws:
1- Murphy’s Law tells us that anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
2- And anything that does go wrong will get progressively worse.
3- And if you survive the first two laws it’s time to panic.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Good ol' SNR

Happens to everyone.
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
  • xraiderv1xraiderv1 Member Posts: 487 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    joy... used to be once or twice and only on patching files for new areas.
    Murphy's laws:
    1- Murphy’s Law tells us that anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
    2- And anything that does go wrong will get progressively worse.
    3- And if you survive the first two laws it’s time to panic.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Game froze and I went to restart STO and the login server is not responding. :(

Guess the weather getting to the servers in Boston.
  • grouchyotakugrouchyotaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    xraiderv1 wrote: »
    ..., and I really hope no one says its ISP related.....

Is this a ostrich sticking its head in the sand???

Unless those other games have their Servers in the same Physical location as the STO Servers, the fact that you can connect to them doesn't really say anything. Different locations on the Internet are going to have different performance metrics. Just because your ISP can connect to one game Sever doesn't mean it can connect to all game servers...
  • eulifdaviseulifdavis Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Verizon internet? They're having issues with their transcontinental routing. :mad:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • buddingherobuddinghero Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    xraiderv1 wrote: »
    ok...so 19 times I've seen 'server not responding' since yesterday's server crash..today, 10 minutes ago? I got this message and was promptly dumped right to the in game login screen, I'm a bit curious if anyone else has seen this problem, and I really hope no one says its ISP related..if it was, well I'd be seeing issues with starwars the old republic, mass effect 3(xbox 360 version..which adds yet more hops to any trace route cause its bioware AND microsoft), and a few other games that need broadband access.

Same here, except it happened since the launcher update to me, my internet is running full speed here in South Africa (what passes for full speed anyway). Hoping that after the shard maintenance it will be fixed.
  • carlosbflycarlosbfly Member Posts: 682 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Same here, except it happened since the launcher update to me, my internet is running full speed here in South Africa (what passes for full speed anyway). Hoping that after the shard maintenance it will be fixed.

Same here. My internet is fine. I just can't log in now, I'm always getting timed out. Fingers crossed this is fixed today after the weekly tune up.
    edited January 2014
    carlosbfly wrote: »
    Same here. My internet is fine. I just can't log in now, I'm always getting timed out. Fingers crossed this is fixed today after the weekly tune up.

The US proxy takes ages, but just displays character and not the ship, then after clicking play is times out. The EU proxy does the same, except is gets loading a map and while it is loading a map as normal i get the login2 timeout error thingy.
    It's dead Jim.
  • carlosbflycarlosbfly Member Posts: 682 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The US proxy takes ages, but just displays character and not the ship, then after clicking play is times out. The EU proxy does the same, except is gets loading a map and while it is loading a map as normal i get the login2 timeout error thingy.
    It's dead Jim.

You are doing better than me lol I can't even log into ARC.
    edited January 2014
    carlosbfly wrote: »
    You are doing better than me lol I can't even log into ARC.

Excuse my ignorance here, but what is ARC?
    edited January 2014
    Excuse my ignorance here, but what is ARC?

This is ARC... http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=1076561
    edited January 2014
    Ok so i managed to load the game now, but now the ship just stays there, i can swivel it around but it wont move....all the other ships are zooming about me, full speed....nada. What on earth is going on.
    edited January 2014
    Ok so i managed to load the game now, but now the ship just stays there, i can swivel it around but it wont move....all the other ships are zooming about me, full speed....nada. What on earth is going on.

Oops spoke to soon...connection to login server timed out!!! shard maintenance did nothing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Any idea when we are going to have the Log in Server fixed?

Been trying to get into STO for nearly an hour now and I'm ready to call it a day and go do something else to pass the time.
    edited January 2014
    tyraidd wrote: »
    Any idea when we are going to have the Log in Server fixed?

Been trying to get into STO for nearly an hour now and I'm ready to call it a day and go do something else to pass the time.

I think it will be round about when sheep learn how to quote Shakespeare verbatim.
  • puttenhamputtenham Member Posts: 1,052 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Is this a ostrich sticking its head in the sand???

Unless those other games have their Servers in the same Physical location as the STO Servers, the fact that you can connect to them doesn't really say anything. Different locations on the Internet are going to have different performance metrics. Just because your ISP can connect to one game Sever doesn't mean it can connect to all game servers...

lol, however, both the other games I play are also in California (their servers) and I connect to them just fine..

looks like cryptics boston booster is craping out again, and that is their fault.. they know they have a lame duck company in boston as a connection source, it effects almost everyone who connects through them.. it is their responsibility at this point to dump cogent, and get someone who can handle it..

so now that that is over.. I havnt been able to get a stable connection to the game since the patch went live.. I log in, and boom, insta lag and snr.. then, the disconnect.. lame sauce.. lame..

would be nice if the devs could get one thing right every once in a while..
    edited January 2014
    puttenham wrote: »
    lol, however, both the other games I play are also in California (their servers) and I connect to them just fine..

But the STO Servers are located at a Cogent facility in Boston... Just because your ISP can connect to a Server in California doesn't mean it can connect problem free to a Server located in Boston....

If you could actually provide some information, such as the 'Net Test' and 'Trace Route' diagnostics described in this thread... http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=225155

... it may actually be possible to find something that could help with your problem. But without the data, nothing can be done...
    edited January 2014
    nah its the same old same old that happens everytime.. been playing for 4 years.. eventually cryptic will kick someone who is sleeping in the server room, they will make a call to boston (which I live 30 minutes from) and it will get fixed.. if I ran a tracert every time and posted it everytime this happened, my post count would be in the thousands..

and no, the server is not in boston, its just a mirror that sends the info to cali.. cause when you tracert, it goes through several connections before getting to cryptics servers.. (and they are located throughout the us.. cogents servers don't actually run the game, they just process us along the way to the game server..

all cogent does is boost the signal to cali.. and what im saying is, that cryptic like any game, hires companies to path their game to the servers, cogent has been less reliable than anything I have seen ever, and I am amazed that they still do business with them.. look in the archives, you will find oodles of complaints, and even cryptic devs blaiming the cogent facility for crappy connections to the game servers.. and I am amazed that my tracerts still have cogent popping up on them.. such a bad business decision to keep them.. (they must be the cheapest)..

I bet if I ran the tracert, it would make all connections till like the 4th or 5th, which would come up as cogent.. if I pull myself out of rift long enouph, I might run it just to post it.. but I have chosen to play a game that has never failed me in connection for the time being (well for a few days at least)...
    edited January 2014
    so just for kicks and giggles, I just ran one.. everything is fine up until line 9 and 10 which is perfect world and cryptic servers.. both spike to almost quadruple what every other rang in as, and I am shocked to see that its alter.net instead of cogent.net in boston. when did that change? had to have been in the last few months, cause my last tracert was about that long ago.. and it still said cogent..
    edited January 2014
    puttenham wrote: »

and no, the server is not in boston, its just a mirror that sends the info to cali.. cause when you tracert, it goes through several connections before getting to cryptics servers.. (and they are located throughout the us.. cogents servers don't actually run the game, they just process us along the way to the game server..

all cogent does is boost the signal to cali.. and what im saying is, that cryptic like any game, hires companies to path their game to the servers, cogent has been less reliable than anything I have seen ever, and I am amazed that they still do business with them.. look in the archives, you will find oodles of complaints, and even cryptic devs blaiming the cogent facility for crappy connections to the game servers.. and I am amazed that my tracerts still have cogent popping up on them.. such a bad business decision to keep them.. (they must be the cheapest)..

Ummm... Do you really know what you're talking about??? At the very least, you have to have a working knowledge of how TCP/IP and the Internet works, before you start making statements like this...
    edited January 2014
    So, any luck playing yet? None here. :mad:
  • bannon3bannon3 Member Posts: 379 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I've had server not responding twice and now its stuck at connecting to game server, this is what happened last week right before it crashed. Anyone else getting this?
    In Space, Cryptic cant hear you scream!!!
  • captainh6captainh6 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Im getting this now too, this better not happen during the anniversary event if there is going to be a event project