test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

PvP Boot Camp Updates - 01/16/2014

pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
edited January 2014 in Galactic News Network [PC]
Community members from the PvP Boot Camp program check in to provide some important updates for participants and students, including information about the upcoming session and the latest edition of the STO PvP Boot Camp Companion Guide.

Click here to read more.
Post edited by pwebranflakes on

Comments

• bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Congrats Mimey! and to all those who have kept the bootcamp alive!
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • drug2drug2 Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Aw wish i could play on the pvp camp my pc burned up waiting for new one :o
  • captainednacaptainedna Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies. ~BranFlakes
  • rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies. ~BranFlakes
    edited January 2014

rinkster wrote: »

So rather than promote bootcamp to teach new & old players alike on how to build a ship, use variuos tactics for said ship and how to team up together for the current best team flow, its poke fun instead?

Seems that sort of attitude does way more damage to new pvpers than the game supported school to help them as players to better pvp.

R.I.P
    edited January 2014
    bitemepwe wrote: »
    So rather than promote bootcamp to teach new & old players alike on how to build a ship, use variuos tactics for said ship and how to team up together for the current best team flow, its poke fun instead?

Seems that sort of attitude does way more damage to new pvpers than the game supported school to help them as players to better pvp.

You know, you're probably right.

Not constructive at all.

And if the entire STO PVP community was supporting the aims of this school then I'd be totally out of order.

But they're not.

There's no ranking or stat system from Cryptic, so PvP is like the exchange...player controlled.

And for every PvP person who generously puts their time into this bootcamp, there are six or so other PvP people waiting to roflstomp first timers.

It's not that there aren't good PvPers out there, its that they're in a minority.

Until cryptic take responsibility for PvP, and stop leaving it up to well intenioned players, this problem will persist.
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I will have to join this one day on my PVP cat, whenever I can finish his gear.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • mikeflmikefl Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Nice read... I will have to do this too once I am done doing all my reps... too much to do and too little time. I like the sample builds and the explanations and especially the keybind coding. I had been debating how to build out my scimitars and avenger, there was a lot of useful information.
    Gold Sub since March 2010
    Lifetime Sub since June 2010
  • edna7edna7 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited January 2014
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    There is too much daily grinds for most people to take time to do this :(
  • vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Wow,
    You guys put A LOT of work into that PVP guide ! I'm very impressed !

Great job and thanks for all the help with my builds ! :D
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• chairmanmeowmixchairmanmeowmix Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I'm glad there are guides like this as well as people willing to teach others about PVP in this game. It is rather unfortunate that I dislike PVP in STO because I consider myself to be an avid PVPer in many other games. To me, STO just does it wrong and it isn't interesting nor rewarding enough. Furthermore, I have to wonder what PVP will look like in STO's future considering the Devs are rumored to have been tossing around concepts such as "peace" between the KDF and Feds.
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I'm glad there are guides like this as well as people willing to teach others about PVP in this game. It is rather unfortunate that I dislike PVP in STO because I consider myself to be an avid PVPer in many other games. To me, STO just does it wrong and it isn't interesting nor rewarding enough. Furthermore, I have to wonder what PVP will look like in STO's future considering the Devs are rumored to have been tossing around concepts such as "peace" between the KDF and Feds.

Eh it mostly doesn't offer anything more than games made decades ago. Its just a death match system with TRIBBLE rewards or purpose to doing it. It's basically make what you want with it but unless there is some actual work on Cryptic's part put into it there won't be any purpose to doing it except to get some title that everyone gets for showing up.
    edited January 2014
    rinkster wrote: »
    You know, you're probably right.

Not constructive at all.

And if the entire STO PVP community was supporting the aims of this school then I'd be totally out of order.

But they're not.

There's no ranking or stat system from Cryptic, so PvP is like the exchange...player controlled.

And for every PvP person who generously puts their time into this bootcamp, there are six or so other PvP people waiting to roflstomp first timers.

It's not that there aren't good PvPers out there, its that they're in a minority.

Until cryptic take responsibility for PvP, and stop leaving it up to well intenioned players, this problem will persist.

Then grow the minority by supporting the growth of the new pvper. Fight the premade/pugmade stomps by forming your own premades/pugmades. Take the pvp fight to those whom pvp just to ruin somebodies day. Stand up and organize. Fight back. Make pvp better by forcing out the bad element.

Or lay the blaim soley on Cryptic for not being able to force better attitudes from those bad apples that make pvp less enjoyable.

R.I.P
    edited January 2014
    edna7 wrote: »
    so that attitude does more damage than the actual state of pvp? lol trolling much?

as I was saying pvp bootcamp is a way to officially spread the knowledge about a2b.

Really? How many bootcamp courses have you been in to know this to be all they teach?

R.I.P
    edited January 2014
  • ussultimatumussultimatum Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    My hat is off to drkfrontiers who takes the phrase "labor of love" to heart and continues to amaze and impress with his professional quality publications.
    edited January 2014
    It doesnt matter what they teach when there only one thing everyone plays .

Players said the same Carriers when they first came. The same of BoPs. The same of Science spammers, Tactical ApO cyclers and Engineer zombies at one point.
    They all eventually where countered by somebody's bright idea.

Learn the ropes and why/how things work or not and blaim the most current FOTM.

R.I.P
  • rmy1081rmy1081 Member Posts: 2,840 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    well done. It was a really nice read :)

I will definitely be linking it to people in my fleet.
  • dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    consider for a moment that everything is actually not broken, and its just you that lack the knowledge to deal with or counter what you find. i assure you, no amount of pve will prepare you for what you will find in pvp. so a great many of us have taken it upon ourselfs to amass information, to offer help and guidance, and to even hold organized classes so you no longer are powerless in the face of what you will find in pvp. once you know what your doing, your going to have the most fun you can have in the game engine.
    edited January 2014
  • mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Hello all. :)

Something I wanted to mention is, even if you don't choose to PvP, and have no desire to even consider it, Bootcamp is still an excellent source of knowledge and know-how to help your gameplay and skills. Also, if you aren't sure if you'd even want to complete the whole thing, I'd still recommend signing up for the first class and joining, since it has a great deal of information that is taught, and can help decide if you feel like going ahead and finishing it.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
    edited January 2014
    haha gotta love that.Yea its my fault there are 4 years with no pvp update.Im the nOOb and the loser who made the game fit the pve players and you are the savior. :D

Next on the list : eat bread before having bread ,drive a car before having one ...if you cant do it you are a loser and a nOOb :D
    I never called you noob or loser, nor did I blaim the lack of pvp love from cryptic on you.
    Nor did I call myself savior

I said your post and the attitude you display is defeatist and doesn't help the new player have any confidence to try pvp.

cool so you are saying there will always be something broken :D
    Most likely there always will be something broken ingame at some point but the Devs will never fix it if no one plays because all the players hear is negativity from a few defeatists.

At least PvP bootcamp tries to fix that attitude and give confidence to the new player.

R.I.P
    edited January 2014
    consider for a moment that everything is actually not broken, and its just you that lack the knowledge to deal with or counter what you find. i assure you, no amount of pve will prepare you for what you will find in pvp. so a great many of us have taken it upon ourselfs to amass information, to offer help and guidance, and to even hold organized classes so you no longer are powerless in the face of what you will find in pvp. once you know what your doing, your going to have the most fun you can have in the game engine.

This is what PvP BootCamp does for those who use it.
    It removes the fear of not knowing. It instills confidence.

R.I.P
  • genadagenada Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    What's with the sudden push and focus on pvp?

People are not going to want to pvp till the que is fixed. As long as you have a broken que where groups of players are allowed to form teams with the express single purpose of destroying the que, not many are going to want to pvp.

Really, it's a simple fix. Just change the que. Add a team one, add a pug one and you will get people to pvp. Until that is done the rest of the stuff your doing to push pvp is a waste of time. The sad part about this entire thing is STO pvp is and can be fun but the que system is ruining the experience for a majority of players attempting to pvp.
  • nickx9nickx9 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I love that publication , guide is really good and well made. Thanks to those who made it.

One thing I dont understand is why ppl that hate PvP and have no iterest in participating in it, post in thread about it? I hate FPS games, and wont play one for the life of me, but I dont go to those forums, and argue with ppl who like it that their game is bad, and go around telling others that they should not play it -__-
  • reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Self-Deleted.
    edited January 2014
    bitemepwe wrote: »
    Then grow the minority by supporting the growth of the new pvper. Fight the premade/pugmade stomps by forming your own premades/pugmades. Take the pvp fight to those whom pvp just to ruin somebodies day. Stand up and organize. Fight back. Make pvp better by forcing out the bad element.

Ahh, the fight fire with fire approach. Doesn't work half as often as people think.
    Or lay the blaim soley on Cryptic for not being able to force better attitudes from those bad apples that make pvp less enjoyable.

Force better attitudes?

I'm sorry, but I've never suggested that.

what I have suggested is thats its Cryptics responsibility to make a working stat tracker and ranking system, preferably tied into a functional match making system.

Not quite what you accused me of, eh?

The reason I want this is because learning anything can be done in a number of ways.

Teaching, as exemplified by these bootcamps, is just one of them. And fair play to those putting the time into making them happening. I prolly shouldnt have been flippant earlier.

However, without that back end system which is Cryptics to make and nobody elses, the other means of mearning are made prohibitively tricky. Trial and error for instance. You need a certain, lets say, length of data to make that work. Roflstomping is too quick.

The backend system opens up possibilities for PvP. Its cryptics responsibility.

Without it, we run the risk of a monoculture in PvP. Where the things that people do are done because they were taught to. Historically, such an approach stifles innovation.

There may well be innovation now, but if we opened up PvP to allow true trial and error across all skill levels, then we'd see that whats happening now is a pale shadow of what should be happening.
  • kantazo1kantazo1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I have never PVP in the game, so is this bootcamp part of Cryptic or this is something created by players and how can I participate?
    Seek and ye shall find. Yeshua
  • admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I have tried to take part in the bootcamp. Several times. Each time I am ignored by them. So can somebody explain to me How I can take part.
    fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

Fleet Leader House of Nova elite
    @ren_larreck