test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What's your opinion of the Excelsior?

Comments

• dave18193dave18193 Member Posts: 416 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Personally love the looks of the ship. Sleek, subtle but at the same time not fragile looking.

Gameplay wise shes great too. In battle its got great firepower and survivability, though I confess its a little lacking in sci powers though you've got enough space for the two which matter most (polarize hull and hazard emitters).

Even that third engi slot is actually pretty useful when running Auxtobatt, just by jamming an eng tem on there for emergencies, especially with bleed through being so high in pvp at the moment. Not recommended for most builds though, but nice to have anyway.

Basically, it trades the AC's uni ensign for superior turn, better inertia and a gorgeous skin. Cheaper too, by a full 500 zen.

Also worth noting is her built in transwarp ability. Very useful, especially for non-ambassadors. Also, I'm not sure if this is still the case but her old console gave her a small boost to subsystem power skills which became an intrinsic part of the ship. Its very small, probably less than a point per system, but every little helps and doesnt need a console (mght make the difference between a point registering or not so to speak on your power levels monitor thanks to the joys of rounding).

But yeah, I'm a blatant Excelsior fan. She's just so pretty and awesome.
    Got a cat? Have 10 minutes to help someone make the best degree dissertation of all time?

Then please fill out my dissertation survey on feline attachment, it'd be a massive help (-:

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/87XKSGH
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    txdevildog wrote: »

Good afternoon:

I know I am re-opening a very old thread, but I really need help from multiple folks as to go about this since I'm new to the game.

I am a Commander and have already bought the Excelsior offered with Zen-transfer purchase. Based on the first few bits of this thread it seems I can obtain a much better Excelsior unit than I have now. Seeing as I can't get a refit yet (even though I have the marks) the thread seems to state I can get a better unit.

I know I'm asking a lot, but if a few folks can tell me how this works, a quick walk-through and patience for a new player I sure would appreciate the hospitality.

Also, I'd like to get a "mentor" for this game. I promise I won't beat someone up with questions, but being an old TRIBBLE I am pleading for help.

Thanks again.

DD92

You are correct, you can obtain a much better Excelsior. Since you mentioned being a Commander you probably obtained the basic Tier 3 Excelsior called Advanced Heavy Cruiser, just like cmdrscarlet suspected.

You see, just to clarify the best I can, there are 3 different versions of the Excelsior in the game:

- The Tier 3 one for players in the range of level 20-30, the one you have that is the basic Excelsior. What've re discussing in this thread was the end-game Excelsior, that's why it probably sounded better than what you currently have. Don't feel bad about getting this one though, the way I see it - it saved you from using some really ugly ship for the levels 20 to 30. In my opinion, all the free ships for Feds. at this level are ugly so at least you bought a pretty ship.
    - The Tier 5 one - for players at level 40 and above and this is an end game ship, suitable for all the end game content. You get this one just like you purchased your Tier 3 one, but it costs 2000 Zen and it's called Advanced Heavy Cruiser Retrofit. Now this is the ship that most of the people were discussing about and if you ask me it's the best Federation cruiser and amongst the top cruisers in the game in general. It also comes with 2 skins - the basic Excelsior and the Enterprise-B skins and has innate transwarp ability.
    - The Fleet version of the Tier 5 Excelsior called Fleet Advanced Heavy Cruiser Retrofit. Now this is also an end-game ship which is a basic upgrade on the Tier 5 Excelsior with more hull, better shields and an aditional tactical console slot.
    In order to obtain this one you need to be in a fleet that has a Tier 3 fleet shipyard and it costs 20k Fleet Credits and 4 Fleet Ship Modules (that can be bought for 500 Zen each in the C-Store, or for around 7.5 milion Energy Credits on the exchange). This is a per character unlock (as are all fleet ships) so when you buy the Fleet Excelisor it will be availible only on that one character you purchased it for. There is however another detail - if you buy the Tier 5 Excelsior that costs 2000 Zen from the C-Store, you'll be eligible for a discount - so when you want to buy a Fleet Excelsior on any character it will cost 20k Fleet Credits and only 1 Fleet Ship Module.

I should also add that I personaly belive cruisers to be a good choice for new players due to their high survavibility that is really helpfull untill a new player gets a hang on the ins ann outs of this game.

Hope this was somewhat helpfull. :)

Now about the Excelsior - it's a ship I always come back to. I have swaped many Fed ships during my time in STO, but somehow I always find myself going back to this one. It's just immensly fun to fly, I can't give a particular reason it's just fun.
    For Star Trek fans that came here to fly cruiser looking Starfleet ships, I think this is the best ship currently availible in game. It has a classic design, it's a beam cruiser just like in the shows and it's a tanking and damage dealing marvel. It melts everything around and takes tons of damage. I'm literally yet to be blow up in an Excelsior, that has never happened so far.
    One of my favourite ships in STO, but the best of all is flying a ship that has the old classic Starfleet design and can match up to all the new ships being released.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    i have both the tier 3 and tier 5[lvl 40] versions and I can tell you both are stout ships. Honestly the 2000 zen one is arguably better than the freebie Odyssey I got for the 2 year. Don't know bout the fleet one, never got it.

But for 2000 zen, the retrofit heavy cruiser is not a bad buy at all.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • sirokksirokk Member Posts: 990 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Although I frequently fly the Assault Cruiser refit (AC-R), the Excelsior is really my go-to ship!

It feels like the AC-R in it's tanking and fire-power. The Transwarp is invaluable too, it's (IMO) the most useful non-combat feature of all the ships. It gets you to, otherwise near, the sector that you want to go to.

The only thing that might make it slightly better is if it were the Fleet version - which you get a discount on after buying the C-store ship.

Yes, like all C-Store ships, it unlocks account-wide.

This is a ship that means business, in power and looks. If you don't like it's aesthetics, go get one of those "princess" ships. :) Seriously, if you don't like the looks then get the AC-R, there are only minor difference between them that you would barely notice, except the Transwarp.

Hope this helps!

EDIT: The AC-R is called refit not retrofit. Edited above.
    Star Trek Battles Channel - Play Star Trek like they did in the series!Avatar: pinterest-com/pin/14003448816884219Are you sure it isn't time for a "colorful metaphor"? --Spock in 'The Voyage Home'
    SCE ADVISORY NOTICE: Improper Impulse Engine maintenance can result in REAR THRUSTER LEAKAGE. ALWAYS have your work inspected by another qualified officer.
    edited January 2014
    sirokk wrote: »
    The Transwarp is invaluable too, it's (IMO) the most useful non-combat feature of all the ships. It gets you to, otherwise near, the sector that you want to go to.

Aye, the transwarp drive is really nice, especially in situations when friends tell me via chat that there is some special doff mission like NADORC in some other sector. Just pop the transwarp and boom, I'm there. No doff mission can expire as fast as I can get to it. :D
    Also I might be weird, but what I like the most is when the transwarp drive fails and makes that clunking sound.....makes me remeber good ol' Scotty. :)

And I'm not sure about 'princess' ships, but I definitely consider the Excelsior prettier than any incarnations of the Assault Cruiser, not even gonna mention the Avenger.
    Much prettier than the Sovvy, the Regent is just flat and weird to me, the Majectic and Noble I think are completely fugly and I regularely preform exorcisms when I encounter an Imperial. :P :D
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • torvinecho25torvinecho25 Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Excelsior-class is fantastic. She looks great, she plays great, she has a nice transwarp...theres really no downside to her.
  • blitzy4blitzy4 Member Posts: 839 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    It's a really great ship that really needs an alternate skin.
    jKixCmJ.jpg
    "..and like children playing after sunset, we were surrounded by darkness." -Ruri Hoshino

• sirokksirokk Member Posts: 990 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    shpoks wrote: »
    Also I might be weird, but what I like the most is when the transwarp drive fails and makes that clunking sound.....makes me remeber good ol' Scotty. :)

Are you talking about the Tier 3 (Advanced Heavy Cruiser) ship's Transwarp drive?

The Tier-5 Advanced Heavy Cruiser Retrofit, at least mine, does not do this.
    Star Trek Battles Channel - Play Star Trek like they did in the series!Avatar: pinterest-com/pin/14003448816884219Are you sure it isn't time for a "colorful metaphor"? --Spock in 'The Voyage Home'
    SCE ADVISORY NOTICE: Improper Impulse Engine maintenance can result in REAR THRUSTER LEAKAGE. ALWAYS have your work inspected by another qualified officer.
  • txdevildogtxdevildog Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Thank you all for your honest, solid opinions.

I just hit lvl 40 and will probably get the Excelsior tomorrow. I've been a fan since I first saw it in the theaters years ago, and the brief 2 minutes made me a fan. To my surprise I saw them in DS9 show and thought my eyes deceived until I "rewound" the DVR.

I've seen videos of folks put Borg goodies on them. How do I do that?

Again, thank you all.
    TXdevildog
    Good hunting
  • cptrichardson12cptrichardson12 Member Posts: 143 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Needs a 2409 skin for the fleet version?
  • stofskstofsk Member Posts: 1,744 Arc User
    edited January 2014

I just hit lvl 40 and will probably get the Excelsior tomorrow. I've been a fan since I first saw it in the theaters years ago, and the brief 2 minutes made me a fan. To my surprise I saw them in DS9 show and thought my eyes deceived until I "rewound" the DVR.

Again, thank you all.
    The Excelsior is one of the best Federation cruisers. I don't think you'll be disappointed by it.

As for the 'borg goodies', I am assuming you mean the borg items you can get via the Omega reputation system? You can only start working on that when you hit level 50 and elite STFs become available. You can try your hand - and I'd encourage you to do this - at the normal STFs earlier at around level 44-45, the rewards aren't as great and you can't really spent the Omega marks you get, but you can save them up for when you hit level 50. But the more valuable thing is learning how to do STFs at a low level.
  • natorepublicnatorepublic Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I am one of the main shipbuilders for my fleet, and specialize in doing engineer builds. I can honestly say my absolute favorite is the Excelsior. I even like the way it looks. One of the things that has not been hit on a lot is just how malleable the old girl is. I have three separate builds, on three toons, and they all work very well. Once you get settled into it, and get a proper build on it, you will be simultaneously the Tac guys best friend and worst enemy. You pull the agro so well they can just park and shoot in STF's, but in those friendly inter-fleet slug-fests none of them can stand toe to toe with you. The only real down side to it is that you get very lonely flying in kerat, the klinks will jump you once, but then they fly away and you never see them again.

If you need any help setting it up, just send me a PM.
    edited January 2014
    sirokk wrote: »
    Are you talking about the Tier 3 (Advanced Heavy Cruiser) ship's Transwarp drive?

The Tier-5 Advanced Heavy Cruiser Retrofit, at least mine, does not do this.

I was talking about the T5 version, I don't have the T3 one. It happens on very rare ocassions and only if you use the special transwarp destinations that are exclusive to the Excelsior and not the general ones every player has access to. (to my knowledge)
    It hasn't happened in a long time for me as well, so I'm not sure if this gimmick was removed. I hope not though, it was a fun little gimmick and a nod to the movie.

Again, thank you all.

Like others have said, you won't be dissapointed.
    The first thing I usually tell people when they ask about ships is to get the one they like the looks of or are fans since the series. But in your case, the ship you like happens to be the top Starfleet cruiser imho, so she will serve you fine. :)
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • stofskstofsk Member Posts: 1,744 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I was talking about the T5 version, I don't have the T3 one. It happens on very rare ocassions and only if you use the special transwarp destinations that are exclusive to the Excelsior and not the general ones every player has access to. (to my knowledge)
    It hasn't happened in a long time for me as well, so I'm not sure if this gimmick was removed. I hope not though, it was a fun little gimmick and a nod to the movie.
    It's so rare I've only encountered it once. Then again, I don't really fly the Excelsior on any of my federation characters anymore.

Like others have said, you won't be dissapointed.
    The first thing I usually tell people when they ask about ships is to get the one they like the looks of or are fans since the series. But in your case, the ship you like happens to be the top Starfleet cruiser imho, so she will serve you fine. :)
    The Sovvie-R gives it a run for its money. Those two are tied as far as I'm concerned for Fed's top cruisers.
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I got my T5 Excelsior back last summer during the ship sale. I love using the ship, good looks, can take punishment, and dish out the pain. You have several versions you can do on the ship. You have the "Original" where the nacelles are blacked, then the "Alpha" where the nacelles are glowing, and the "Refit" where it looks like the Enterprise B and Lakota. With star drive blisters, different nacelles, and 2nd impulse engines on the saucer. Then you can create your own using all those parts.

Mine is a regular Excelsior with the glowing nacelles. Since most T5s are the "Refit", I wanted a different look. I just used the more cannon set up on weapons. Mostly phasers, photon and quantum torpedoes. And I had good fun with it since I bought it. Bottom line, you can't go wrong with the ship.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
    edited January 2014
    farmallm wrote: »
    I got my T5 Excelsior back last summer during the ship sale. I love using the ship, good looks, can take punishment, and dish out the pain. You have several versions you can do on the ship. You have the "Original" where the nacelles are blacked, then the "Alpha" where the nacelles are glowing, and the "Refit" where it looks like the Enterprise B and Lakota. With star drive blisters, different nacelles, and 2nd impulse engines on the saucer. Then you can create your own using all those parts.

Mine is a regular Excelsior with the glowing nacelles. Since most T5s are the "Refit", I wanted a different look. I just used the more cannon set up on weapons. Mostly phasers, photon and quantum torpedoes. And I had good fun with it since I bought it. Bottom line, you can't go wrong with the ship.

Heh :) I wanted to keep the classic look of Sulu's Excelsior for mine, so I have all the original parts except that I added the blue bussard collectors from the 'Alpha' to the blacked nacelles.
    Cool looking ship, gotta' love the classic Starfleet design. :)
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • rmxiiirmxiii Member Posts: 221 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The Excelsior is a wonderful bucket of bolts. Can take a beating and give it out as well as well as having such a classic look.
    Only complaints I have is that there is no bridge that fits it. Would love to have a bridge and decks like seen on the USS Excelsior in Star Trek VI. Also the very rare transwarp failure that when it happens tends to annoy me, but its so rare, I almost forget about that it happens sometimes.
    To me its practally the perfect cruiser. Some may find the 3rd Eng Ens BOFF slot near useless, but I just toss in a Engineering Team for an emergency heal myself.
  • whamhammer1whamhammer1 Member Posts: 2,290 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    capnkirk4 wrote: »
    What makes you think Starfleet built "hundreds" of the Excelsior class?

We've seen quite a few over the several iterations of the IP, especially during DS9. Theres as much room to say that they built hundreds as there is to say they didn't.
  • whamhammer1whamhammer1 Member Posts: 2,290 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Heh :) I wanted to keep the classic look of Sulu's Excelsior for mine, so I have all the original parts except that I added the blue bussard collectors from the 'Alpha' to the blacked nacelles.
    Cool looking ship, gotta' love the classic Starfleet design. :)

Only thing I changed from the NCC-2000 appearance was the 1701-B saucer. Kind of gives it a "thrust-enhanced" look with the extra impulse engine ports.
  • lexusk19lexusk19 Member Posts: 1,412 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    To sum the ship up in one word: "Epic"
    That is all that needs to be said lol
    1e3sni150tar.jpg
  • txdevildogtxdevildog Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Epic, I would agree by a bucket a gold.

I ran both Excelsior T5 and my Sovereign tonight. Granted, all combat is not exactly the same with like circumstances but they were about equal in the long run.

My favorite is the Excelsior, and has been since I saw Search for Spock in the theaters, however I will say that Sovereign kicks butt, too. Aesthetics don't bother me, ugly can be sexy in its own way, too. :D
    TXdevildog
    Good hunting
  • genadagenada Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Your a Admiral. What else would a Admiral use to cruiser around with:)?
  • bignick3bignick3 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    djf021 wrote: »
    Hello,
    I'm currently saving Zen for an Excelsior cruiser (unless I get a ton of recommendations against it). My question is, if you have this ship, what do you think of it? I've heard a lot of good things about it.

ALSO, if I buy the C-store version, (I want it to be account wide obviously) can I get the fleet version for 1 fleet module? Just asking because the fleet starbase price seems to be 5 FMs, (different from the other fleet ships) so I wanted to make sure the pricing is not different somehow for this ship. Thanks for your help!

I've had my Excelsior since I hit Commander, and I love it. She's tough, bluff lines, a real workhorse that can take quite a bit of damage. My opinion is just that, however, as I am a fan of the classics, not so much the curvaceous monstrosities created by and offered by the game devs...although a few of them aren't bad. Excelsiors are great tanks, if that's the role you want to be in, that is...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "To secure peace is to prepare for war."
  • kmcgunkmcgun Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I tried out many ships but I always come back to the Excelsior. Loved it since I first saw it on TV and the Enterprise-B is still my favourite design. But I wished they gave it a little design refit, most of the new ships have much more details.
    Especially the windows on the hull don't fit, too few compared to its screen counterpart. The Excelsior is supposed to have 34 decks, but in-game it looks rather small because the windows are too large compared to the hull size.
    edited January 2014
    bignick3 wrote: »
    Excelsiors are great tanks, if that's the role you want to be in, that is...

It really is a great tank, if set up right almost indestructible, but it is a awesome damage dealer as well. Probably the best tactical cruiser in game, the balance between survivability and raw damage output is perfect.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • dsarisdsaris Member Posts: 373 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    It really is a great tank, if set up right almost indestructible, but it is a awesome damage dealer as well. Probably the best tactical cruiser in game, the balance between survivability and raw damage output is perfect.

The Fleet Sovereign is better in every way. You get a very useful Tactical Ensign BOFF slot instead of the redundant Ensign Engineer. Same hull and shields, same console layout.

This ship has made the Excelsior second rate... which is really sad for such a classically beautiful design.
  • rodentmasterrodentmaster Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The ENS on the fleet Sovvy is only useful for Torp Spread because that ship comes with a 180-degree quantum torp. Otherwise, the Excelsior is far better for a FAW boat. TT1/APB1/FAW3 (or FAW2/APB2 if you like). The ENS is not useless as a ENG, though it is more useful if you limit your EPTs to ENS-level or if you're running an A2Bat setup (like many high-dps Excels seem to do)
    edited January 2014
    capnkirk4 wrote: »
    What makes you think Starfleet built "hundreds" of the Excelsior class?

It's canonically supported. The Excelsior Class was the workhorse of Starfleet for a very long time. They featured prominently in the battles of the Dominion War and served as personal flagships for many flag officers.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Excelsior_class
    edited January 2014
    The ENS on the fleet Sovvy is only useful for Torp Spread because that ship comes with a 180-degree quantum torp. Otherwise, the Excelsior is far better for a FAW boat. TT1/APB1/FAW3 (or FAW2/APB2 if you like). The ENS is not useless as a ENG, though it is more useful if you limit your EPTs to ENS-level or if you're running an A2Bat setup (like many high-dps Excels seem to do)

The ENS Tac on the fleet Sov lets you run two tac teams without needing cooldown reducing DOFFs.

For the Excelsior to get full uptime on TT you'll need DOFFs or the lame cookie-cutter A2B.
    edited January 2014
    dsaris wrote: »
    The Fleet Sovereign is better in every way. You get a very useful Tactical Ensign BOFF slot instead of the redundant Ensign Engineer. Same hull and shields, same console layout.

This ship has made the Excelsior second rate... which is really sad for such a classically beautiful design.

Meh, those are small details to me. You guess why, the second paragraph you wrote here hits the nail on the head. :) The Excelsior is classically beautiful design, while I never liked the Sovereign. That ship is just all shades of wrong to me. If I tell you I bought it only to slot the wide angle torpedo in my Galaxy & Excel, you'll get the picture. :D

Anyway, yeah Doffs, Aux2Bat many ways to mitigate the ensign issue. Besides, it's not like end-game in this game is hard or anything, those finesses that make ships different don't really matter as long as the ship outlay is very solid, which is the case with the Excelsior.
    HQroeLu.jpg