test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Ideas for a new playable species...

grandnaguszek1grandnaguszek1 Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
Ideas for a new game species is a topic that has probably been posted, but not while I have been here so: I want Jem'Hadar.
say-star-wars-is-better.jpg
Post edited by grandnaguszek1 on

Comments

• Options
    shevetshevet Member Posts: 1,667 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Edoans FTW! The Animated Series was so canon. And Cryptic did the tripod walking animations for the Undine, so that's not a problem.
    8b6YIel.png?1
  • Options
    damienoz72damienoz72 Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Edoans.
    Tiburon-ians/ites/s(?)
    Galamites.
    :D
  • Options
    virgilpluton999virgilpluton999 Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Ferengi Trade Alliance, with the Ferengi, Saurian, Ferasan, Orion, and Suliban as races.
  • Options
    wbaker256#3172 wbaker256 Member Posts: 289 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I'd welcome the Edosians as a playable race. It'd be nice to have a unique alien race to play as that isn't bipedal.

Still hoping we'll see the Xindi (all sub-species except Aquatics for obvious reasons), Grazerites and Ktarians for Fed playable species, and the Suliban and Yridians for Romulan Republic playable species.

It'd also be nice to get some actual additions to the Alien Creator. That thing hasn't been updated for quite a long time.
    @MGoblin256

"[GARBLED ELECTRONIC NOISES]"
    - Thot Gar - Commanding Officer of the Braaktak Kaan
  • Options
    earlnyghthawkearlnyghthawk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Well, we have cat type species. And lizard types. Why not dog, avian, rodent, etc? Call them a minor warp capable species (or sets of species), that joined the interstellar community!:D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    butcher suspect, "What'd you hit me with?"
    Temperance Brennan, "A building"
  • Options
    ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I want that avian species from TAS.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • Options
    omegaphallicomegaphallic Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Trabe as a Klingon faction species instead of the Kazon.
  • Options
    misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Corvallen mercenaries for Romulans and Chalnoth for KDF...I mean who doesn't trust that face?

http://static3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20070626155034/memoryalpha/de/images/0/0c/Esoqq.jpg
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,103 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Tholian Triade

- Tholians
    - Breen
    - Someone New
    - Alien
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited January 2014
    Alpha Quadrant Dominion
    True Way (Cardasians)
    Breen
    Son'a (Son'a, Tarlac, Ellora, Ba'ku)
    Tholians
    Jem'Hadar (Alpha Jem'Hadar, Vorta, Laas)

11 species plus lib borg, aliens and androids
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Cardies.

Dominion (Vorta, Jem'Hadar, Wadi, Dosi, Karemma, et cetera).

Both of the above have some great voice acting options. Garak, Odo, Weyoun, et cetera.

Xindi. Just integrate them into the Federation.

Less appealing:

Ba'ku/Son'a. Four species options, but just not that interesting TBH.

Tholians. While certainly an interesting perspective, this option has only one species in a new faction, and has issues with ship diversity.

Breen. NO WAY. Breen are cool, but only as bad guys. Breen ships, fine. Breen boff, fine. Breen characters? That's taking it too far.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    worffan101 wrote: »
    Breen. NO WAY. Breen are cool, but only as bad guys. Breen ships, fine. Breen boff, fine. Breen characters? That's taking it too far.

If we can have Breen bridge officers, I see no issue with having them as characters.

Heck, in that proposed First Officer system, they would've been one of the special BOffs we could promote to playable status. Would've gotten some unique customization options too, depending on which faction.

As a faction though? The Breen don't have enough allies to constitute their own faction, and knowing how their Confederation tends to be, I don't think they'd side with the Dominion again.
    @MGoblin256

• Options
    edited January 2014
    mgoblin2 wrote: »
    If we can have Breen bridge officers, I see no issue with having them as characters.

Heck, in that proposed First Officer system, they would've been one of the special BOffs we could promote to playable status. Would've gotten some unique customization options too, depending on which faction.

As a faction though? The Breen don't have enough allies to constitute their own faction, and knowing how their Confederation tends to be, I don't think they'd side with the Dominion again.

The third paragraph is the important part, and one of the big reasons the Breen won't work.

Your other points are very valid, although I have personal beef with Breen characters. It's just a bug in my butt.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    The third paragraph is the important part, and one of the big reasons the Breen won't work.

Your other points are very valid, although I have personal beef with Breen characters. It's just a bug in my butt.

For me, it's a matter of how well they're written as a character.

Why the Breen in particular for you though?
    @MGoblin256

• Options
    edited January 2014
    For me, it's a matter of how well they're written as a character.

Why the Breen in particular for you though?

No particular reason, it's pretty much entirely illogical.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    No particular reason, it's pretty much entirely illogical.

Eh, to each their own.

I personally don't have a problem with it.

Heck, KDF Joined Trill never sat particularly well with me; just because -one- Trill happened to be on good terms with the Klingons means there can be a bunch? Okay...

So again, to each their own :)
    @MGoblin256

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Eh, to each their own.

I personally don't have a problem with it.

Heck, KDF Joined Trill never sat particularly well with me; just because -one- Trill happened to be on good terms with the Klingons means there can be a bunch? Okay...

So again, to each their own :)

I actually like my KDF Joined Trill. She has a cool backstory by dint of being a renegade host joined with a renegade symbiote.

Also, Joined Trill as-is is a great economy buy. Two for the price of one, basically. Very nice.

I agree, to each his/her/its own. :)
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    I actually like my KDF Joined Trill. She has a cool backstory by dint of being a renegade host joined with a renegade symbiote.

Also, Joined Trill as-is is a great economy buy. Two for the price of one, basically. Very nice.

I agree, to each his/her/its own. :)

I'll agree with that.

Just doesn't sit well with me lore-wise... Unless there's a good backstory for it, which sounds like something you've given yours :)
    @MGoblin256

• Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I want the KDF to get Kriosians. :P
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    scrooge69scrooge69 Member Posts: 1,108 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    shevet wrote: »
    Edoans FTW! The Animated Series was so canon. And Cryptic did the tripod walking animations for the Undine, so that's not a problem.

are you serious? have u ever seen undien doing soemnth else than walk 4 directions?
    forward backward left right is fine

but the move into 8 directions..... all squares is where the animation of thair feet freezes

(nice to test as poly transmorphed undine)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    tragamitestragamites Member Posts: 424 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Ideas for a new game species is a topic that has probably been posted, but not while I have been here so: I want Jem'Hadar.

Whom ever they select as the next playable race I hope they can offer a pack instead of just the race.

With that I hope it is open to any faction.

So when you unlock the new race you unlock the Character Race and Traits, A Race Specific Shuttle and Ship and Special "starter pack" that contains:
    • 3 Unique DOffs
    • Like Race BOff w/space trait (1)
    • Race Specific Space Set
      • Rare Quality leveless
      • Energy Weapon System
      • Launcher Weapon System
      • Shield w/visual
      • Uni-Console
    • Race Specific Ground Set
      • Rare Quality Leveless
      • Armor w/visual
      • Personal Shield
      • Racial Weapon
      • Special non-consumed ground device

Additionally it could also unlock Features and Traits to the Alien Customizations on the account.

To me it just seems more fun that if I am going to play a race I want to be that race in all aspects of play.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    kestrelliuskestrellius Member Posts: 462 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    THOLIANS

THOLIANS THOLIANS THOLIANS THOLIokay that probably got old the first time I did it in the playable faction thread. But yeah, Tholians. The Tholians have only ever been antagonists, pretty much, and it's time that changed. They're way too awesome to be wasted as generic villains. I mean, they're a certain kind of awesome where you want them to be heroes. Like the Iconians? They're awesome, but they're awesome as villains. I wouldn't want them to be good guys. Even the Undine really work either way. But the Tholians are just wasted as bad guys.
  • Options
    platewearingbirdplatewearingbird Member Posts: 455 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Well, we have cat type species. And lizard types. Why not dog, avian, rodent, etc? Call them a minor warp capable species (or sets of species), that joined the interstellar community!:D

Well there is 2 plausible Avians: the ones from TAS (but I don't think Cryptic considers them canon, and Avian Xindi which are believed extinct (though its not 100% proven and they could be surviving as a small community in space)
  • Options
    flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I'm a little confused here, so (and this goes out to the OP) a question; are you asking after a new faction, or a new playable species to be included in already existing factions? Seems people have answered on both accounts. Wouldn't mind clearing that up. :)

Regardless, I've read your question as playable species (not faction, else you'd have said faction?)

* Deltan for the Federation
    * JJ-style Klingons for the Klingon Defense Force
    * Son'a / Baku for the Romulan Republic (I suppose this would include the Tarlac & Ellora too)
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    flash525 wrote: »
    * JJ-style Klingons for the Klingon Defense Force

Blingons?!?! :eek: NOOOOOOO!!! :mad:

Denobulans. 'Nuff said.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    shpoks wrote: »
    Blingons?!?! :eek: NOOOOOOO!!! :mad:
    I actually thought they looked quite neat. They're a new take on a warrior-themed species, and I think the art team behind them did the Klingons justice.

I know a lot of people didn't like them, then again a lot of hardcore Trek fans don't like the new films, but I enjoy both, and hope that the Klingons (these new ones) play a significantly heavier role in the next film). I thought they looked awesome.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    I actually thought they looked quite neat. They're a new take on a warrior-themed species, and I think the art team behind them did the Klingons justice.

I know a lot of people didn't like them, then again a lot of hardcore Trek fans don't like the new films, but I enjoy both, and hope that the Klingons (these new ones) play a significantly heavier role in the next film). I thought they looked awesome.

In my case it has nothing to do with liking or disliking the new Star Trek movies or wheather I like how these I call "Blingons" look or not. I just think it's stupid and disrespectfull towards the franchise to start elementary changing the look/behavior/habits of established species. For ex., it's already established how Klingons look and you don't go around and mess with that. Then again, Abrams has shown very little respect and understanding for the franchise in general.

Anyway, my point was - we have Klingons in STO. And that I linked is not a Klingon - it's a Magog meets Dennis Rodman. :D
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    shpoks wrote: »
    In my case it has nothing to do with liking or disliking the new Star Trek movies or wheather I like how these I call "Blingons" look or not. I just think it's stupid and disrespectfull towards the franchise to start elementary changing the look/behavior/habits of established species.
    It is? I seem to remember them changing the Klingons (and Romulans) in TNG to how they looked in TOS. Same goes for the Andorian (TOS-TNG-ENT).

Times change, as does special effects and makeup. If everything remained the same it would become stale and boring. JJ's Trek is a new take on Roddenberry's Universe. It's got to have it's own mark.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    It is? I seem to remember them changing the Klingons (and Romulans) in TNG to how they looked in TOS. Same goes for the Andorian (TOS-TNG-ENT).

Making the TOS to TNG comparison is rather lame simply because everything in TOS looked rather simplictic compared to TNG, VOY, DS9 or anything following due to being the series' premiere with very limited budget, in an era where the costume making and makeup are at an early stage in the movie industry.
    And I also seem to remember Klingons looking like the TNG Klingons in the TOS era movies, once the moment arrived when the people behind Star Trek could afford it and the techinques to make it were brought to the industry.
    Times change, as does special effects and makeup.

Irrelevant. Some things are established and that's that. Klingons have looked like this since the moment the show could afford money and expertise to change them from the generic humans with tan-spray TOS Klingons. They changed the look in the TOS era movies and they kept the look through TNG, Voyager, Deep Space 9 and Enterprise.
    During the prolongued period since the first time Star Trek made Klingons looked more alien with ridged foreheads instead of looking almost completely human untill Enterprise a vast period of time has passed. Special effects and makeup changed and evolved and yet every show kept the way they look with minor enhancements to the basic quality of the mask.

This has nothing to do with changing times, special effects and makeup. This has to do with a single man's ego being bigger than the planet Jupiter.
    If everything remained the same it would become stale and boring. JJ's Trek is a new take on Roddenberry's Universe. It's got to have it's own mark.

Re-he-heeealy..?? To have a new take on Roddenberry's universe is one thing. To want to elementary change it because of pathologic need to leave a personal mark is something completely different.

By this logic, we should be cool if Abrams' take on Star Wars in his new movies is that Jedi and Sith Lords use machineguns instead of lightsabers, have to wave a wand in order to use the powers of the force and wookies are furless, right? Right?
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    It's got to have it's own mark.

Oh, it does. Just like a skid mark in a pair of Fruit of the Looms.