test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Gamereactor Interviews SalamiInferno

pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
edited January 2014 in Galactic News Network [PC]
Lead Producer Steve "SalamiInferno" Ricossa, Jr. was recently interviewed by Gamereactor about STO's past, present, and future.

Link to the written interview.
Post edited by pwebranflakes on

Comments

• Options
    ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    So the Anniversary event continues the Dyson story.
    Interesting.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    ashkrik23 wrote: »
    Interesting.

Yup, that sounds interesting indeed.. :)

The rest of the interview though = Hyperbole.
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I am surprised they put "Generally positive" for the S8 release results, instead of the, OMG IT WAS SUPER AND THE BEST SEASON ever type comment :P.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • Options
    wilbor2wilbor2 Member Posts: 1,684 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    There was complaints about a other rep grind :(
    but injoyed this one a hell of a lot better then the last one were there did not add any new missions to do.
    gs9kwcxytstg.jpg
  • Options
    aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I am surprised they put "Generally positive" for the S8 release results, instead of the, OMG IT WAS SUPER AND THE BEST SEASON ever type comment :P.

I thought they made up for that with :
    "We've heard nothing but positive things out of this brand new type of content"

That's an overstatement ... no matter which MMO you're talking about ...;)
  • Options
    tlaloconeinfptlaloconeinfp Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I bet the "continuation" would be adding the "delta quadrant" to the STO univserse!:cool::P

Why? The Dyson Sphere IS already in the Delta Quadrant, maybe players will be able to make a "Voyager Memorial Tour"; fight off Kazons, the Devour Empire, make friends with Talaxians(Dofsf too), etc...:o

P.s.: Sorry for my-possible-formal and grammatical mistakes my native language IS NOT english.:(
  • Options
    monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Another big fan favorite out of this Season [8] was the Voth Battlezone..........We've heard nothing but positive things out of this brand new type of content.......

Wow. I guess they didn't see any of the many complaints on the forums about how some players will stand back waiting for others to capture a point, then charge in and take all of the command credits that spawn on the ground, not leaving any for others to get. And how about all them complaints about bugs all over the zone? I've had my bridge officers start shooting at a spot on the ground as I'm running through the zone and there are no enemies to even shoot at in that location and it happens often.
    Our rights to the Star Trek license covers all of the prime universe movies and television shows, so the two most recent films are not [included in the deal]. We're all fans of the new movies, so maybe one day we'll be able to get some of that stuff into the game. There are some fun story lines and exciting ships that would be great to explore.

Speak for yourself! I didn't see the second film because I thought the first one sucked. The storyline sucked too and I hope Cryptic never gets licenses to use any of that garbage in the game. I'm open minded toward it though. But a tier 5 constitution, miranda, NX, t'liss, etc. have to come first. Then maybe I'll think about any of the "new" trek junk being put in the game.

JJ Abrams doesn't even give a TRIBBLE about Star Trek. He only made the films so he could be given the job of directing the new Star Wars film(s). That's what I heard anyway. Heck, I did see an interview of him about the Into Darkness film and he admitted he went overboard with the lens flares. I can just picture lightsabers with lens flares. Oh god that's gonna be awful if he does that.
  • Options
    litchy74litchy74 Member Posts: 417 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Funny I liked what they left out, ground season 8 is fun and populated, the breach PvE is fun populated, sphere space after they removed the wrapper mission empty and now quite pointless, no mention and I thought that was a big thing in season 8 launch.;)
    Where ever you go, there you are.......

Join The Space Invaders,..... Federation and KDF fleets.
  • Options
    chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    thank you for the interview.
    No new faction.
    Continue the story.
    That is all i want to hear.
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Interesting.

"Our next update would be our Anniversary Event coming early next year. This event should not only be a fun celebration of the anniversary, but also move the story from the Dyson Sphere forward."

It's one of those fun grammatical things. Is that the same as saying...

"...move forward the story from the Dyson Sphere."

Or is it the same as saying...

"...move the story forward from the Dyson Sphere."

As much fun as that would likely be to pick apart, given that we've already heard about expanding into the the rest of the Adventure Zone...yeah, it's likely a case of moving the story from the Dyson Sphere forward. (see what I did there?)

Which kind of begs the question about speculation on the 4th Anniversary Ship(s)...hrmm, tied into the Dyson Story? Are we looking at a non-factional ship akin to the Obelisk then?
  • Options
    jkirk13jkirk13 Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Which kind of begs the question about speculation on the 4th Anniversary Ship(s)...hrmm, tied into the Dyson Story? Are we looking at a non-factional ship akin to the Obelisk then?

They have said that each faction will have a different one so 3. My guess will be factional ship like the Constellation class with Picard maneuver for Feds
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    fraghul2000fraghul2000 Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    /edit

never mind, found it.
  • Options
    lazarus51166lazarus51166 Member Posts: 646 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Since it's launch in 2009 the game has undergone some significant changes, via regular content updates and a shifting financial model
    "I would categorize the changes that Star Trek Online has undergone in the last four years as extraordinary. STO has grown and improved with every single update, so much so that sometimes it just feels like a completely different game than what shipped in February of 2009." - Stephen Ricossa

...and nobody caught this? The game was released february 2nd 2010. Yet according to the both the article and the dev doing the interview it was february 2009

way to read what you're posting before you post it cryptic. i'm not exactly inclined to believe a word on that article if neither the writer nor the dev being interviewed even gets the date the game was released correct
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    P.s.: Sorry for my-possible-formal and grammatical mistakes my native language IS NOT english.:(
    I find it very ironic that anyone who says this displays English that is generally better than most native English speakers. :P
  • Options
    zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I didn't think of it till now but the way they have done season 8/the sphere story. It most likely will explain how sela and hirogen got together though as I always wondered how they would explain how she got into the delta quadrant to make contact with them lol.

I do hope however continuing the story line on the sphere/delta quadrant that they put in some kind of things for us to raid (bops and breen raider and there are plenty of potential bad guys in the delta quadrant other than the borg). I would bet though that the continuation of the story line based on the ending of the one with Worf and Shon that its most likely as said something for everyone that it will probally be the end of the fed/kdf war as a way to start out the new year. Would be cool though along with raiders if it produced an element with the hirogen that forced them back in the delta quadrant so we can kinda get rid of that element on the new romulan homeworld that there are invaders in the backyard (little romulan children don't go to that dark place).

The only other thing if it is the delta quadrant... Voyager did cover a lot of space so there is no telling where they could start but if anything for federation and klingon ships that have lost or never had much functionality to what in Trek they are designed to do that would be a good opportunity for cryptic to possibly push out some new features and new content at the same time different than what we are used to. Those 10 seconds of screen time some of those aliens had that voyager had to get away as fast as possible would be some interesting results in full armed combat or non-combat based gameplay too.

Edit: Although I am sort of hoping in a way if they are doing more expansions that its true to what Salami stated that they are going to keep it like it is with Fed/KDF/Romulan due to last time had to repurpose my fake romulan into a vorta... My luck there will be a dominion and cardassian one coming up so I have to repurpose both of my aliens this time :(
  • Options
    kemra1kemra1 Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    More content with the anniversary? Very cool, +100 respect

Your all fans of JJ Abrams? O_o -150 respect..
  • Options
    akpaakpa Member Posts: 250 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Q: The Romulans create ships that are so large they dwarfs all other playable ships, while also providing each ship with battle cloak since Romulans are true masters of cloaking technology. Though those reasons aren't the main gameplay advantages of the Romulans

A: Federation and Klingon players are spoilt for choice when it comes to the different playable races on offer, Romulan players less so

yeah but this is not a single player game. if this is what you guys call a blanced gameplay you should start looking for a career change, no offense.

if i start to qq about pvp is even worst... your new OP faction forces everyone that wanna be pro/elite in pvp to reroll to a romulan.
    i understand this is a bussiness, but don't be so greedy!
    my post's number is higher than smirk's dps
  • Options
    aquitaine985aquitaine985 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Keeping an audience happy is the most important thing for an MMO hoping to retain a strong player base, especially when you consider how competitive the landscape is at the moment.

What a load of TRIBBLE.

If Cryptic gave the smallest damn about playerbase happiness and retention then they'd start bug stomping. The Q&A is still aweful to non-existant.

The fact they're spewing the "CBS let us have dinosaurs, therefore everything is cool" spiel didn't wash pre Season 8, and it's not washing now. The writers are just pulling any daft idea out of the air and weighing it for possible money made. Canon can go hang itself so long as the cash comes in, a company that apparently takes canon so seriously apparently hasen't noticed half the playerbase flying starships from totally different factions/ groups, then.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    @Aquitaine985
    Lag Industries STO PvP Fleet - Executive
    A Sad Panda of Industrial calibre.
    2010: This is Cryptic PvP. Please hold the line, your call is very important to us...
  • Options
    wazzagiowwazzagiow Member Posts: 769 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    personally not a fan of voth story in season 8 for me it's just a total mess and complete nonsense that goes no where. season 7 was far better done story wise than season 8 was. the rep mission stories well 4 out 5 felt the like exact same cut scenes which I was hoping would help progress the story of the whole season. but in reality it barely scratched that surface. all it did was give a mini story as to why we get a voth boff.

ok so in short the story was awful.

non story related stuff in season 8 was good tho. the rep sponsor token. the way to grind the latest rep was a great addition.
    also how a player would grind the new rep was also made in a very good way.

action zones. well I have to say the territory control maps have been great. I really hope to see this used and developed in to pve and pvp maps for the so called kdf/fed war!

so some good came of season 8.

looking to the future. well story wise it should be pretty easy for season 9 to be an improvement. it really wont take much.
    beyond season 9. a lot of people talking about expansion don't mean factions. if I'm honest I've often thought about how can you expand the game with adding factions. and go from using the word expansion rather than update.

personally I do feel that factions are without a doubt the 1 area a game can automatically slap the word expansion on it. adding regions of space in a space game is just an update. so if we just got exploring and searching for new worlds and new civilizations. that's just an update. if we just get new npcs to fight it's just an update. new crafting system or new doff system is just updates on the existing systems.

a new faction in an expansion gives cryptic/ the chance to charge money. new ships etc.
    seriously cryptic/pwe wont make much money out of any other type of 'expansion' if all they do update some systems.

also I wish they would talk more about what they have planned well before they start it. they could get some feedback which can help. look at the forums when they added half a romulan faction for example. they should have asked do you want an independent romulan faction? or a fraction? but maybe they are just too scared to ask the big questions.
  • Options
    eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 4,016 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Good to see a clear honest response to Season 8, and that they acknowledge that not all players are happy with it. Me I'm happy as long as it keeps me entertained and happy ... This it does.

By using the anniversary as a point in moving Season 8 forward, I feel again is acknowledgement to the negative feedback of the Dyson Sphere, and STO is going to use this opportunity to iron out and address the concerns of the players. If this so I applaud you for taking on the chin players concerns and addressing them.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    eazzie wrote: »
    Good to see a clear honest response to Season 8, and that they acknowledge that not all players are happy with it. Me I'm happy as long as it keeps me entertained and happy ... This it does.

By using the anniversary as a point in moving Season 8 forward, I feel again is acknowledgement to the negative feedback of the Dyson Sphere, and STO is going to use this opportunity to iron out and address the concerns of the players. If this so I applaud you for taking on the chin players concerns and addressing them.

the dev mentioned it was generally positive, of course they had to put a spin on it to not loose potential customers but generally means average, so it was infact half way good and bad.

to be honest not sure who thought the dyson sphere and dinosaurs with freaking lasers on their heads was a good idea, but to me it was one of the worst design ideas i have ever seen.

i hope season 9 turns out far better.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    themariethemarie Member Posts: 1,055 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Keeping an audience happy is the most important thing for an MMO hoping to retain a strong player base, especially when you consider how competitive the landscape is at the moment.

And here you have the biggest lie told yet by a Cryptic employee.

This is almost as bad as the comment that was made involving grind maps: "Our new content is a smash hit with the players based on the number of people playing the new maps." Remember this one? Reason people flocked to the new maps is... there is no alternate content.

And comments made about a remarkable bug-free experience? Why is it I can't visit ESD without massive graphical glitches? Your "cognet" internet outages due to a dispute with one of the largest internet providers that's a huge glitch.... and lets make a short list of the bugs that have been brought to your attention starting with the COSTUME SLOT CORRUPTION ISSUE and working backwards. Progression missions are broken, glitched out and in general steaming piles of TRIBBLE. No one wants to work to level 50 when they have to face a broken game experience with ****ty graphical glitches.

I got half way through the Dyson Rep grind and realized how pointless it was. There are no story missions like there was with New Rom. Oh I unlocked another cut-scene where someone whines about how bad the bad guys are and how he disagrees with them. We have this enormous world all around us and we only have fleshed out two "battle zones?" That's it?

That's my entire complaint about Season Eight: That's it? This is what we waited for? You clearly put more effort into the Gingerbread Battle and the new Snow Weapons than you put into the entirety of the story experience for season 8.

You created an arcade-style point-driven repetitions battle game and pasted it in an MMO.

Gets harder and harder to log in each day, let alone justify spending Zen. And I know I'm not the only one.
  • Options
    otowiotowi Member Posts: 600 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    It was AFAIK Mr.Rivera who suggested dinos with freaking lasers on their heads. I mean, dinos are ok, but with lasers on their heads, not so much.

The V-Rex looks cools armored up, but not so much as I said above with the lassers and those strange mortar attacks. The V-Rex alone would have been cool, just add more sensible attacks, like stomps and what not.

I do on the other hand like the Voth mech suits. Those are cool, and they having lasers and mortars makes sense, since they are in effect walking tanks.

It does not surprise me in the least that S 8 was not the big hit it could have been. It's not bad, but the implementation leaves a bit to be desired.

For me the best part was in fact the new rep system, followed by the Battlezone, wich has a few nice mechanics going for it, but the ground game is still lacking, and not so exciting as the space part of the game is. I'm not exactly expecting ground to be as smooth and exciting as say the Halo games is, but it still needs a lot more oomph to be where it should be.

Also, the story of S 8 is lacking, to say the least. What story we do get is thin at best, and to make it worse, some of the story comes from doff missions, wich might not be everyones cup of tea. I did them just to get some more of the story. The rep cutscenes are well made, but even they do not really tell us much, just a few tidbits here and there.

The Battlezone does contain some more story elements, but you have to hunt for them, whilst under fire at times, and some are a bit out of the way.

So, S 8 was not bad, but could have been better, if much more story had been present...
  • Options
    kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    "You engage in diplomacy."

Really? Is he talking about a Foundry mission?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    roxbadroxbad Member Posts: 695
    edited January 2014
    That wasn't an interview. That was an advertisement.
  • Options
    yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Sorry i haven't listend to the inverview. Was there any word about the anniversary ship (if there is any, of course)?
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • Options
    eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 4,016 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    yreodred wrote: »
    Sorry i haven't listend to the inverview. Was there any word about the anniversary ship (if there is any, of course)?

The interview is text. not audio. But no there is no mention of the anniversary ship, only that the anniversay event will be expanding on the Dyson Sphere story.
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    You engage in diplomacy

Wha? Only diplomacy I've seen in the game is our crew doing it for us, trivia contests, and us acting like Sherlock Holmes. So I missed content somewhere? :P
    expansive fleet [guild] progression system and a robust personal progression end-game system that's full of content tied to some epic end-game rewards

Well this is an out-right lie. Nothing expansive, just a ton of endless grinding where small fleets get the shaft.

And the DOFF system is more robust than the reputation system. And it's funner to boot.
    Another big fan favorite out of this Season [8] was the Voth Battlezone, a ground territory control based zone where a team of 20 players and 40 bridge officers test their skill against entrenched Voth troops. We've heard nothing but positive things out of this brand new type of content, and we're definitely looking to create a new version in the future. All in all we're really happy with the player response with the Season and how many players are logging on to enjoy it."

Yeah, it was fun in the first few days. But over one month later, the place is a desert. Especially the space adventure zone, which nobody wants to do.

And his math is off, you get two BOFFs per player, so it should be 60, not 40. :rolleyes:
    aim of keeping fans coming back for more

Yep, they come back for a few days, complete the new content and then go back to whatever game they were playing.

/sigh Anyhow, I don't blame him. Just typical propaganda to spin things in the positive direction. But really, it's not as rosy as they make it out to be.